HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dustin Penner

Old
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
TopT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
we are taking about the same Dustin Penner that got demoted to the 4th line on one of the lowest scoring teams in modern civilization?
no, we are talking about a playoff beast Dustin Penner. I dont care if he scores 0 points in regular season as long as he plays in the PO like he did in our cup run.

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:02 AM
danaluvsthekings

Dustin Penner's beard might be worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Might have been able to get more if he would have left the mustache on for longer.

On a more serious note, it doesn't make sense for the Kings to trade him for picks at the moment, since he's on a 1 year deal and right now the cap isn't an issue for the Kings.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Perro

Penner started to turn it around once his divource was settled and once sutter showed up.
I think he would be a good 2nd/3rd liner on most teams. I have no problem with him being a king however was surprised they resigned him as they have a lot of depth at LW, and could have afforded watching him walk.
The fact he is only signed for one year I imagine he wantas to prove a lot of people wrong this year. I expect him to have a much better regular season, as I expect the whole kings roster to have.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
we are taking about the same Dustin Penner that got demoted to the 4th line on one of the lowest scoring teams in modern civilization?
Yes we are talking about the 4 game winning goals in playoff Dustin Penner

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Penner is like a born again Christian at this point.

After not making the playoffs fopr years after winning the cup. He is really excited about this Kings team.
Penner realizes how good he has it. He is probably going to train harder than he ever has.
He has a lot of chemistry with Richards and Carter and I think he is going to turn some heads.
I predict 832 goals and 4 assists.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Penner wont be traded. He just accepted a pay cut to come back to the Kings for another year and prove himself.

I anticipate he's going to get 25+ goals this year on a line with Carter & Richards.

Then get another $4M+/year contract, either with the Kings or elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

After not making the playoffs fopr years after winning the cup. He is really excited about this Kings team.
Penner realizes how good he has it. He is probably going to train harder than he ever has.
He has a lot of chemistry with Richards and Carter and I think he is going to turn some heads.
The power of Christ compels you! ...to score in the playoffs!

- R

PS - remember when the Oil fans thought they won all of the recent trades? Hehe.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

- R

PS - remember when the Oil fans thought they won all of the recent trades? Hehe.
Klebom and Tuebert for Penner. Considering they were/rebuilding the trade was good for them. Considering the kings won a cup with Penner being a key cog was a great deal for LA.
Trade actually seems fairly even now.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:31 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639557

Quote:
"We're very fortunate to bring everybody back," he said. "We were the fifth or sixth youngest team in the League. These guys have to continue to get better. I just talked to Jeff Carter last week, he sounds better than he ever has in terms of conditioning. Dustin Penner is way ahead of schedule.
So yeah, there is that. I think a lot of his struggles had to do with the divorce just wearing him down, also Murray I don't think helped matters. He was a totally different player after Sutter came on board though. Seems to me like for the first time in a few years he is motivated to be his best again, and that's never a bad thing.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Kings4thecup

Quote:

This prediction is way too high............2 assists

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
This prediction is way too high............2 assists
Good point. I was getting greedy there.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Really? Last I heard they got divorced and then he started playing his best hockey of the season. I maybe wrong, but IMO it's no coincidence that once he got hitched to her his play started to tail off in Edmonton and it drug into this season.
It wasn't instantly. He really started playing better in the playoffs.
I have a hunch that Mike Richards really got him going and he, Penner, and Carter became really good friends.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think they've actually reconciled.
God lets hope not.. Maybe you are confusing Pens with Kobe and that evil wife of his.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:
His playoff performance earned him a second chance with the Kings. Would rather wait and see how he performs under a full season with Sutter behind the bench as opposed to trading a forward for picks.
I agree. Was really hoping he would resign, no way would I want him to be traded now. His value isn't going to be as high as it could be, because his production during the season was underwhelming, but the Richards, Carter, Penner line was awesome in the playoffs and it deserves a full season together.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
God lets hope not.. Maybe you are confusing Pens with Kobe and that evil wife of his.
No, I have seen him with his wife. Pretty sure they're back together.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:43 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
No, I have seen him with his wife. Pretty sure they're back together.
In early July he tweeted he was with her at Six Flags. I'd find it odd that he'd be hanging out with her if they weren't back together.

https://twitter.com/Dustinpenner25/s...402690/photo/1

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

What a ****ing puck hog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

- R

Not gonna lie, we need a guy like Klefbom more than Penner's play when I feel like it attitude. When he wants to play he's a great player, I went from being a huge fan of his to wanting to pack his bags myself the way that he played up to the trade deadline the year that we moved him. As it stands it looks like the trade helped both teams and that's what most trades are about so I'd say that it worked out for both parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Klebom and Tuebert for Penner. Considering they were/rebuilding the trade was good for them. Considering the kings won a cup with Penner being a key cog was a great deal for LA.
Trade actually seems fairly even now.
Yup, hopefully it continues to pay off for many years for both clubs.

Quote:
It wasn't instantly. He really started playing better in the playoffs.
I have a hunch that Mike Richards really got him going and he, Penner, and Carter became really good friends.
I really do think that some of it had to do with off ice stuff TBH. It's hard enough to be a world class athlete when all is well. Whatever the issue(s) that he had were, hopefully they are long gone and he comes out and plays like he did for us a couple of years back and people will start to give the guy his due.

08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

If Penner was dealt today... I am pretty sure most GM's would think he is worth more his last 2 year's worth of regular play rather then his run in the cup finals when the whole team kind of did good and he managed to stay interested for a 20 game run

I mean... this is one very big talented guy who can be a beast when he is interested and actually cares to show up and put out an effort and manages to stay healthy without getting hurt by pancake eating...

but he is also a coach killer at least half the time in regular season play... and i would think he is a bit of a team problem in the lazy attitude he puts out far too often.

if a team can afford to play him on the fourth line half the season and pray he is motivated at playoff time, then he is one of those wild card guys that can become a hero for you. If you are a team headed for the playoffs at deadline time and need a big winger then you can take a shot at this guy if hes in his contract year.

He is worth quite a bit in a trade if you dont have to pay him a ton of money for regular season play and let him be around your young players setting a bad example.

All-in-all, I wouldnt give up anything for him right now cause I dont want him on my team until next febuary and then Id probably give up a first for him cause he can be a difference maker for a playoff run. He just isnt a guy i want to take a chance on for more then the playoffs though so i think alot of gm's would feel the same way and not be willing to offer much at all for him in a deal right now.

I mean... he was available basically free for the taking last year and no one took him and then he became an ufa and had to take a paycut... i dont think the value of this guy is very high around the league right now. But props to him for actually having 2 very impressive playoff runs on his resume now. That does count for something

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote