HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Which trade with Boston would you undo?

View Poll Results: Which trade would you undo?
Rask for Raycroft 308 74.58%
1st + 1st + 2nd for Kessel 94 22.76%
Neither 11 2.66%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
The Raycroft trade was horrible, but then JFJ digs himself an even bigger hole by overpaying for Toskala a year later. Just a laughable chain of events there. A professional team did that to itself? I still can't believe that. Wasted so many assets on 2 goalies that got us nowhere.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Jaqen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
If we had Rask, I'm not sure Boston has Seguin.
True, I still think we would have ended up fishing for Kessel though, and it wouldn't be a complete guarentee that Rask could've kept us from being in the lottery zone. Look at the Habs with Price this year.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Only because he played 72 games that year.
Still shares the record. And it's still a winning record. Scary phrase to say.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

I don't think Rask would have been successful in Toronto. He's a complete hot head and our porous defense would have hung him out to dry, just like every other goaltender in the last 7 years. The fact that he was traded for essentially nothing doesn't really get to me.

A big reason Rask is the goaltender he is today is the benefit of playing behind a collapsing defensive system....and that Chara guy helps a little bit.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
The Raycroft trade was horrible, but then JFJ digs himself an even bigger hole by overpaying for Toskala a year later. Just a laughable chain of events there. A professional team did that to itself? I still can't believe that. Wasted so many assets on 2 goalies that got us nowhere.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I read that wrong. I meant the Rask for Raycroft one.

08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I don't think Rask would have been successful in Toronto. He's a complete hot head and our porous defense would have hung him out to dry, just like every other goaltender in the last 7 years. The fact that he was traded for essentially nothing doesn't really get to me.

A big reason Rask is the goaltender he is today is the benefit of playing behind a collapsing defensive system....and that Chara guy helps a little bit.
Honestly I thought Boston's defense wasn't as good this past season as it was during their cup year or even the year before that. But I see your point, when the players are on their game the system they play is really tough defensively.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Still shares the record. And it's still a winning record. Scary phrase to say.
Barely a winning record. And when that record comes despite a 0.894 SV% and 2.99 GAA, there were obviously other factors at play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
True, I still think we would have ended up fishing for Kessel though, and it wouldn't be a complete guarentee that Rask could've kept us from being in the lottery zone. Look at the Habs with Price this year.
They ran into a lot of injuries this year. They aren't really a last place team. They also really only have Price, and little else.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Dreakmur

Agree with most. Don't like either deal, but at least we got a good return in the Kessel deal.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Posts GIF and no reasoning. GG

Old
08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
thrillhouse99

Its so tough to judge with goalies. Some talented ones never develop, some talented ones are just flash in the pan types and dont work out long term, some have been good for a long time and just sort of lose it (tommy salo comes to mind).

Hindsight being what it is the raycroft trade is a disaster, but if that deal doesnt get made and he turned into kiprusoff or luongo in boston and rask didn't work out in toronto we are in the same boat we are now.

that trade was still a killer, but it needs to be kept in perspective. If raycroft turned into a great goalie for the leafs we would be having a completely different conversation right now.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Rask for Raycroft easily.

Rask would solve our #1 G problem if we still had him. While Raycroft is a streaky backup goalie who doesn't even play for us anymore.

With Kessel we landed the best player in the deal and an elite sniper. We haven't loss the Kessel deal yet, down the road potentially we could end up losing this deal but not right now.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
um..Raycroft for Rask....Just...god awful.

Still makes me pissed and cringe thinking on how that deal went down. For the love of god.
Same dude. I get upset everytime I think of that deal.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:17 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Barely a winning record. And when that record comes despite a 0.894 SV% and 2.99 GAA, there were obviously other factors at play.
Also the last time the Leafs finished about 4th in the North East.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
Its so tough to judge with goalies. Some talented ones never develop, some talented ones are just flash in the pan types and dont work out long term, some have been good for a long time and just sort of lose it (tommy salo comes to mind).

Hindsight being what it is the raycroft trade is a disaster, but if that deal doesnt get made and he turned into kiprusoff or luongo in boston and rask didn't work out in toronto we are in the same boat we are now.

that trade was still a killer, but it needs to be kept in perspective. If raycroft turned into a great goalie for the leafs we would be having a completely different conversation right now.
At the time of the trade, Rask's value was through the roof after being named best goaltender of the WJC and leading Finland to a bronze medal highlighted by a 53 save performance. Raycroft on the other hand played only 30 games (injury plagued) and was dreadful when he was in net. There was just really no reason to have given up our top prospect for a goaltender whose value was at a low point, and had red flags all over him.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Can someone look up the trade thread when the Raycroft/Rask trade went down? I'd love to see the fan reaction at the time.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

As others have said, the Rask/Raycroft trade.

However, I'd be willing to bet a ton of bacon that if the trade didn't happen and Rask was still a Leaf, he wouldn't look nearly as good as he does now.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post

However, I'd be willing to bet a ton of bacon that if the trade didn't happen and Rask was still a Leaf, he wouldn't look nearly as good as he does now.
Why?

Old
08-14-2012, 09:22 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post

Yes, he would have

Old
08-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Why?
You know it's the "Leaf Curse".

Old
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post

It was a bad trade in hindsight, but it was also a bad trade at the time.

If it was made the year before, there is a case to be made. But Rask was only getting better since his draft, and was one of the best goalie prospects in the world, and Raycroft was coming off of a HORRIBLE year, even after having an extra year of development because of the lockout.

And when I say horrible, I mean horrible. 0.879 SV% and 3.71 GAA. That is more than a sophomore slump. Those are the kind of numbers that get a goalie sent out of the NHL. Those are the kind of numbers that make our goaltending this past season look vezina worthy.

He also had 8 wins in 30 games.

It was terrible. Simply terrible, in every which way.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Can someone look up the trade thread when the Raycroft/Rask trade went down? I'd love to see the fan reaction at the time.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=262630

Old
08-14-2012, 09:24 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Why?
Watch Boston's team defense. Then watch Toronto's.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

God that's amusing and scary how brutal the move was judged immediately by the board...

Old
08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
That being said, Raycroft is coming off a pathetic year. 8-19, 879%, lost his #1 job to friggin Tim Thomas. It's a puzzling move by Ferguson.
Yeah trade your blue chip prospect for that guy.

Closed Thread