HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Which trade with Boston would you undo?

View Poll Results: Which trade would you undo?
Rask for Raycroft 308 74.58%
1st + 1st + 2nd for Kessel 94 22.76%
Neither 11 2.66%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
You think they would get rid of a "franchise" winger for only $1.4m extra per year if it was not bad blood involved?
It wasn't up to them.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:25 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
My memory is fine......it was one of the worse trades ever......and it will get worse and even could turn out to be the worse ever if we do not resign him....he will be seeking a very large contract.
Getting a very young player who is also one of the best players at his position in the entire NHL is very far down the list.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
It's hard to take anyone seriously that claims the Kessel deal as one of the worst ever. Considering what I've witnessed the Leafs trade away for useless crap, getting one of the top goal scorers in Kessel hardly makes it a bad trade let alone the worst ever.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
It's hard to take anyone seriously that claims the Kessel deal as one of the worst ever. Considering what I've witnessed the Leafs trade away for useless crap, getting one of the top goal scorers in Kessel hardly makes it a bad trade let alone the worst ever.
You can think what you want.....but we severely over paid to get him, and he brings only offense to the table.....no where near a complete hockey player. When you look at this trade by the end of this year you will truly understand just how much we gave up to get Kessel.

The cost to obtain him was horrible. The fact that he can score helps to at this point to keeps this trade acceptable currently.

I said it before and I will say it again....we will have to vastly over pay to keep him.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:51 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Why do we have to over pay to keep Kessel, can't we just offer a fair amount like other teams do to their star players?

Old
08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Why do we have to over pay to keep Kessel, can't we just offer a fair amount like other teams do to their star players?
Well seeing as how you thought Boston lowballed him with a 4 year 16 million dollar offer after his 3rd season....what do you feel is fair that we will offer him?

Old
08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
You can think what you want.....but we severely over paid to get him, and he brings only offense to the table.....no where near a complete hockey player. When you look at this trade by the end of this year you will truly understand just how much we gave up to get Kessel.

The cost to obtain him was horrible. The fact that he can score helps to at this point to keeps this trade acceptable currently.

I said it before and I will say it again....we will have to vastly over pay to keep him.
Thank you, I usually do think what I want.

Actually the Leafs didn't overpay for him as two 1st's and a 2nd is a pretty fair price for talent like Kessel. What those picks ended up being I will agree became much higher than anyone anticipated.

Not sure what the end of the year has to do with anything.

He doesn't just score, he scores a lot and helps others score as well.

Considering Burke's other recent re-signings (Kulemin, Grabovski, Liles) I'm sure Kessel's salary will be fair to both him and the team.

Old
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
You can think what you want.....but we severely over paid to get him,
OK, so even if that's true, now what?

Whether or not we overpaid for Kessel doesn't change whether or not we overpaid for Raycroft by a larger margin.

We can't go back and change it, and Burke has done more than enough since to justify keeping his job for now, what are you trying to accomplish with pointing out we overpaid? Unless it's more about winning the internet discussion than it is about having a hockey discussion.

I overpaid for a car once, but boy, did I ever love that car. If I spent all my time worried about what I could have done with the extra money I spent, I would have never loved my car.

Old
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I think herein lies the biggest inherit problem with Leaf Nation when it comes to assessing results/performance. You continue to judge success based on the awfulness that has come before. When your barometer for success is set so low - its nearly impossible to ever be disappointed.

I see people do it with Burke - "JFJ was horrible - Burke is doing a better job - so he's amazing"

People do it with Kessel - "We haven't had an elite scorer since Sundin - I don't care what it cost to acquire him - he's amazing."

People do it with trades - "man the Rask for Raycroft trade was so bad - as long as we don't do that again I'll be happy."

Its the equivilant of choosing the best apple out of a box of rotten ones. Doesn't make it good. Just means its the best of the worst. You can wash it off and shine it up as best you can. Its still a rotten apple.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:13 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post

I see people do it with Burke - "JFJ was horrible - Burke is doing a better job - so he's amazing"
The actual thought is, I see where Burke is going, and I like the future he is building. I'm willing to give him more time to execute his plan.

Quote:
People do it with Kessel - "We haven't had an elite scorer since Sundin - I don't care what it cost to acquire him - he's amazing."
Kessel is an elite scorer, and while it sucks we paid more than we hoped for him, it doesn't diminish him as a player.

Quote:
People do it with trades - "man the Rask for Raycroft trade was so bad - as long as we don't do that again I'll be happy."
Man, the Rask/Raycroft trade was so bad. I hope we don't do that again.

Quote:
Its the equivilant of choosing the best apple out of a box of rotten ones. Doesn't make it good. Just means its the best of the worst. You can wash it off and shine it up as best you can. Its still a rotten apple.
It's about having to see 40 years of looking for immediate results, dealing away futures with no vision for the future. This has changed under this regime to date. This team, finally stepping out of the dark ages, and getting into the same playing field as the rest of the league is a great start. But Burke has a lot of work to do to finish the job.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
If the CBA does not change the rules governing contracts or if BB does not change his stance regarding whats currently allowed, then i say the chances of Kessel leaving are extremely high.

And i mean in the 95% range.

If Kessel is what so many here claim he is, then there should be no doubt his agent will demand what the current elite are receiving and that is a 10/13 year retirement deal, heavy front loaded.

To think other wise would be naive.
Gotta end with the old personal shot eh?

What percentage of high end free agents re-sign with their current teams? What percentage of leafs do?

Burke will re-sign Kessel . To think otherwise is ridiculous.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

it's safe to say this thread has run it's course. closed.