HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season III

Old
08-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Ovechkin is on the stage? Dude barely speaks English and comes off as very immature on those 24/7 videos...like he knows what these numbers mean?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:50 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Just because because NBA and NFL players go to college doesn't mean anything (the "education" they get there is a joke).

Most of those guys are totally bankrupt within a few years of leaving the league.
No kidding. I remember a guy I went to school with got a college scholarship in the US and he was dumb as a rock, yet his marks were propped up so he could continue with his scholarship. He was in the Olympics but his stupidity caught up with him and he was caught using steroids.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Fishhead

I get that the players want a fair share, who wouldn't?

But when Fehr brings up baseball as a model for anything he loses all credibility with me. Baseball TV contracts are in the billions, not millions, and they have a much bigger fan base. I'm pretty sure the MLB contract is close to 3x to that of the NHL's.

I used to be a big baseball fan, but it's too predictable now. It's a simple fact that if you don't have a $100M payroll, your odds of winning a championship are slim. Occasionally you'll get an A's team come along, or a Tampa Bay that surprises, but it's rare. I've been to very few Angels games since they won the series because frankly, I can't afford it. I used to get $5 tickets in good spots, or even free if they were having a canned food drive. Now the amount they charge is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't want the NHL to be anything remotely like the MLB, and I'm sure the huge majority of fans share that view.

Just as guilty are teams who have no clue how to build a hockey team and just throw money at the problem. I guess it's their prerogative, but poor drafting and trading leads to panic moves, like overpaying an average player. They get in trouble, have a huge payroll and a middling team, and do even stupider things to try and correct it.

The NHL needs to police their own ranks when people try to circumvent the CBA they fought so hard to get in the first place.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I've decided to ignore all of the public comments and PR statements being regurgitated by both executives. Having been through this crap repeatedly as fans, this is the usual stuff we are used to hearing anytime a CBA is about to expire.

As fans it would be nice if we could ask for and get a reduction in ticket prices and concessions and parking, but that never happens. I'd like to see what team or owner makes decisions based on the best interest of the fans. They're all trying to make as much possible while spending and paying as little as possible.

What I would like to see as a fan is an alternative to the locked out NHL by having an international competition that used to take place that has long been scrapped. Bring back the Canada Cup!

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Well at least I got the Monarchs which is some form of Kings hockey.

The owners and players are both at fault.

One thing that's been making me roll my eyes of late is the NHL asking for 5 year max on deals yet while these "negotiations" have been going on Philadelphia has handed out two 6 year deals and Edmonton has handed out 6 & 7 year deals.

Just leaves me going

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 08-31-2012 at 09:10 PM.
CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Is it a coincidence that the one sport where most players don't have a college education have been in 1.5 lockouts in the past 10 years...I look up on the players podium and see guys with barely a high school degree standing behind Fehr.

Guys like George Parros and Dominic Moore need to be up there.
I've always wondered how junior hockey players get their education. I mean, they are a bunch of 16-17-year-olds who are working. How do they have time to finish high school?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:47 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I've always wondered how junior hockey players get their education. I mean, they are a bunch of 16-17-year-olds who are working. How do they have time to finish high school?
Some do.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Some do.
So a great number NHL players don't have high school degrees?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
College is overrated and really not needed. Just ask Windsor Spitfires owner and former LA King Warren Rychel, he'll tell you.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I didn't say that.

I would say that a better understanding of the CHL OHL etc and how JR hockey in CA works would better explain things. Most kids who leave home at a young age to play hockey aren't going off to work but are going to billet homes where they are cared for by good people who help them keep up their studies and continue their educations.

In other situations kids are educated in different ways but most receive a high school education or the equivalency of one.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
College is overrated and really not needed. Just ask Windsor Spitfires owner and former LA King Warren Rychel, he'll tell you.
I wouldn't say it's overrated. Some people are just so smart that they don't need it. They also have some luck, too. But for most people, they need all the education they can get. As a college dropout, I keep wondering when I'll get to go back to school again.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
The question is going to be is how much more revenue sharing the owners give up how much of a percentage of the pie that the players are going to give back.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The owners will "win" again, it is up to the players to decide when they want to "lose".

People who are rich enough to own a sports team make almost all of their money outside of sports. They will continue to make their money while the top players make pennies on the dollar over in Europe. The bottom six type players will be making zero dollars.

The owners will always be able to outlast the players in all CBA negotiations. Every sport is the same.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Some do.
Quote:
As TG eluded to in a later post, they still go to school while playing juniors....just as kids in the NAHL and USHL in the US would as well. And some 18/19 yo's also do JuCo in states as well.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I think the players are being ridiculous.

The league came at them, the NHLPA laughed and gave a counter proposal.

The NHL took that proposal, and worked a new proposal with concessions.

The NHLPA took that proposal, looked at it, said "**** you." and represented the first proposal.

AND it's super sad that the NHLPA is winning the PR battle on this, because to me these negotiations have been very active on one side, while the other has looked MORE THAN CONTENT to **** things up. I mean think about it.

The league wanted to get negotiations going LAST offseason and the NHLPA said no thanks we'll wait til the all-star break. The all-star break came and passed and the NHLPA said..well, we will talk when the playoffs start. They met ONCE during the playoffs...in game 3 of the finals in L.A. it was preliminary, and the NHLPA said, well let's discuss this after the draft.

They finally open negotiations, the NHL offers up a proposal at the end of June..and it takes A MONTH for the NHLPA to not comeback with a counter proposal..but come with a proposal of their own with no consideration of the previous one...

it just feels like for some reason they have had zero motivation to get something worked out. Maybe it's a stall tactic or something?

Plus I hate how Fehr went on record of talking about how grand the labor relations are in MLB, like he was the god send to them, and that's all his doing and he is trying to do that here.

Come on buddy, it was very different and still is very different in baseball compared to the NHL. Apples and oranges.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I've been to very few Angels games since they won the series because frankly, I can't afford it. I used to get $5 tickets in good spots, or even free if they were having a canned food drive. Now the amount they charge is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't want the NHL to be anything remotely like the MLB, and I'm sure the huge majority of fans share that view.
Hockey tickets have been MUCH higher than baseball for a long time.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Hockey tickets have been MUCH higher than baseball for a long time.
Baseball has caught up a bit, though.

10 years ago, cheap field tickets at an Angel game were cheaper than my season tickets at Staples. Last year they were $13 more. The Angels pad their FCI ridiculously. Their beer cost is listed as $4.50, for example. Seriously?

I wouldn't say the Angels are overpriced, because compared to other MLB teams they are very affordable. I just can't justify spending $60 bucks for a couple field tickets that I could get 10 years ago for half of that. My Kings tickets have only risen $12 over that period, most of it this season. The games just don't mean as much when there are 162 of them.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:52 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
My understanding was along the lines of something similar to the way it works in the USHL where the kids attend high school classes in some form or another (usually a shortened class day, no lunch hour or "open" hours) around the practice schedule and get tutoring while on the road. I think in the CHL's case there is also a clause about the players able to get a certain amount of college paid for after they are done playing as well as a way of encouraging them to continue thier education. Quite a few players actually do have college degrees that they complete during their careers, while some wait until after. Jack Johnson continued taking classes at Michigan and graduated (on time I believe) from there taking online and summer classes.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Ovechkin is on the stage? Dude barely speaks English and comes off as very immature on those 24/7 videos...like he knows what these numbers mean?
They don't have to know what they mean, they just have to stand up there and represent 1/4 of some owner's team.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:51 AM
likid

Anze Kopitar confirmed today in slovenian medias that he would like to play in Sweden if there will be lock-out and if Swedish league will allow short term contracts. And he confirm that in this case he'll play with his brother in Mora.

If Sweden won't allow short term contracts, then he is having options in Switzerland.

He won't go back to America until new CBA will be signed.

http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/hokej/kop...-bratom/291167

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by likid View Post
Anze Kopitar confirmed today in slovenian medias that he would like to play in Sweden if there will be lock-out and if Swedish league will allow short term contracts. And he confirm that in this case he'll play with his brother in Mora.

If Sweden won't allow short term contracts, then he is having options in Switzerland.

He won't go back to America until new CBA will be signed.

http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/hokej/kop...-bratom/291167
Awww, was hoping he'd end up in Skelleftea with Hollaway and Moller if he went to the SEL... It's looking like again the Swiss League may be the one to keep track of in the event of a lockout for NHL players.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Swiss league will be really strong, especially if the SEL doesn't allow NHL players.

Still a lot of concern about playing in the KHL from some NA players.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Still a lot of concern about playing in the KHL from some NA players.
You mean NA players leary of playing there or you are leary of NA players going there to play? I think one issue with the KHL is the season starts so early. The KHL is already 2 or weeks into the regular season. The NLA and SEL don't start until mid to late September so it gives NHL players until closer to the possible lockout date to commit.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Johnny Utah

I wouldn't play for the KHL after what happened in that plane accident. I would either stay here or sign there and drive everywhere myself.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I wouldn't play for the KHL after what happened in that plane accident. I would either stay here or sign there and drive everywhere myself.
It seems like that accident was more of the fault of the actual airline, Yak Service Airlines and the Lokomotiv owners are also to blame for cutting corners and charting such a cheap, third rate airline.

There are other organizations in the KHL that run a tight ship and aren't a circus act.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote