HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Within 5-8 years, I really think the leafs can get the Stanley Cup

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Darkhorse1280

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
sorry to burst your bubble but the leafs have 0 elite prospects.

Last time i checked no one has ever mentioned kadri and biggs in the same breath and Crosby and Stamkos...............
Rielly is an elite prospect. But after that...?

Old
08-15-2012, 12:15 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

we probably wont have anyone on our current roster on our team in 5-8 years....

Old
TmlHockeyFan

Ok, this summer is really slow and I was really bored when I made this thread. I am aware that you can say the same thing about other teams. Maybe in 2-4 years there will be a huge difference. I only meant that our future looks good but the time span I put up was too big.

Old
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Wouldn't be surprised if Leafs still didn't make the playoffs within that timespan...

Old
08-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Larcos_Unal

I want a goddamned unicorn pony, I've been promised one the day after the Leafs win the cup.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
I really do, I'm not being delusional.

With all these prospects that we have, I think that some of them would be quite elite
Lol, who?
Besides Reilly

Old
08-16-2012, 08:01 AM
TheOneArmedMan

We'll probably end up beating the Blackhawks record for longest drought, most likely Rangers too because they will win 1 before Leafs.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Lol, who?
Besides Reilly
We can only hope...

Kadri = Pavelski
Rielly = Karlsson / Doughty
2013 1st Rd'er (Monahan) = Duchene

And then, you never know, we might have a B.Richards developing somewhere as a prospect. One of those mid round pick, late bloomers.

Big time pipe dream but I'm hopeful...

Old
08-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

8 year contract extension for Burkie?

Old
08-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Disgruntled Observer

The leafs best players are currently in their prime (Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Grabovski, etc).
We just finished 5th last.

Who exactly in our current system is going to be SUCH an impact?

Sure, Gardiner looks to be pretty solid, and hopefully Rielly lives up to the hype... but who the hell else do we have that will make us an ELITE cup contending team down the road?
I dončt mean players that might be pretty good down the road (like Kadri, Colbourne, Biggs, Percy, etc... EVERY team is full of prospects like them). I mean players that will make us ELITE down the road.

I don't understand how someone could POSSIBLY have high expectations for this team a few years in the future. In my opinion, the future looks worse than the present.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:08 PM
pspot

god id ****ing hope so

are expecations this low

no wonder most people think Burke is doing a good job

Old
08-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Jinx thread is jinxed.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:21 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Funny my cousin told me the Leafs could win the cup in the next decade, he told me that in 2002. I think my optimism for this team is slowly declining every year and by the time they make the post season I might just be pessimistic.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Kings in 07
- Hadn't drafted Lewis, Hicker, Simmonds, Doughty, Schenn, Clifford, Lokitonov,
- Hadn't traded for Richards, Carter, Penner, Stoll, Greene
- Hadn't signed Gagne, Mitchell, Scuderi

- Cammalleri, Frolov, Visnovsky, Armstrong, Blake, Avery, Sopel, Kostopoulos, Willsie, O'Sullivan, Conroy, Thornton, Dallman, Norstrom, Lundmark, were there top scorers besides Kopitar and Brown

5 years an entire team is rebuilt.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
T M L

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
sorry to burst your bubble but the leafs have 0 elite prospects.

Last time i checked no one has ever mentioned kadri and biggs in the same breath and Crosby and Stamkos...............
This exactly! There are no top tier prospects on the Leafs.

I think the OP is really Burke! LOL Looking for a 8 year contract extension

Old
08-16-2012, 11:15 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post

I don't understand how someone could POSSIBLY have high expectations for this team a few years in the future. In my opinion, the future looks worse than the present.
You don't have to understand it. Just respect it as someone else's opinion. I think we'll be good a year from now, and really good 2-3 years from now. Now, I'm not silly enough to predict a cup, that's too hard to do, but I think we'll be in contension.

We have several gool hockey players and a few elite ones and plenty of depth and cap space to sign/trade for what we need.

You know the more I see/hear about Biggs and Ross, the more i think they will form a scary scary good 3rd line with Kadri one day. Imagine, size, skill and scoring ability.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
You don't have to understand it. Just respect it as someone else's opinion. I think we'll be good a year from now, and really good 2-3 years from now. Now, I'm not silly enough to predict a cup, that's too hard to do, but I think we'll be in contension.

We have several gool hockey players and a few elite ones and plenty of depth and cap space to sign/trade for what we need.

You know the more I see/hear about Biggs and Ross, the more i think they will form a scary scary good 3rd line with Kadri one day. Imagine, size, skill and scoring ability.
But all of our best players are currently in their prime and we just finished 5th last.
Having a good 3rd line won't turn the team from 5th last to contention.
We don't have any "game breaker" type prospects, except for Rielly (arguably).
When I look at our current team on paper, I don't for a second see young guys that will turn into elite players a few years down the road. Our mediocre players like Connolly, Lombardi, Komisarek replaced by mediocre guys like Kadri, Colborne, and Percy. Guys that at this stage in the game would be THRILLED to have nhl careers like Connolly, Lombardi, and Komisarek.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Drew75

Quote:
The leafs best players are currently in their prime (Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Grabovski, etc).
We just finished 5th last.

Who exactly in our current system is going to be SUCH an impact?

Sure, Gardiner looks to be pretty solid, and hopefully Rielly lives up to the hype... but who the hell else do we have that will make us an ELITE cup contending team down the road?
I dončt mean players that might be pretty good down the road (like Kadri, Colbourne, Biggs, Percy, etc... EVERY team is full of prospects like them). I mean players that will make us ELITE down the road.

How many "Elite" players does a team need to be good?

We have Kessel and Lupul up front who for most of the year were in the top 10 in scoring. If JVR can live up to his potential - that will give us 3 Elite player either in, or just entering their prime. Add Kadri, Grabo, Colborne, Biggs, and Kulemin as potentially some "very good" players - and you have a strong forward group in the future.
Phaneuf and Gardiner are "Very good" D men. Rielly has the potential to be Elite. Add Finn, Blacker, and Percy for support, and we have the makings of one of the leagues best D in the future.
If Riemer can return to form, we'll have solid (not spectacular, but solid) goalie. Sparks is turning heads and excelling ahead of his draft position.

Do we need a #1 Centre? You bet. But Boston didn't have a bonafide #1C when they won the cup. About 14 months ago the Rangers were a very good team missing a number one centre. We need to upgrade out goaltending -agreed.

Needing to upgrade two positions is a LONG way away from have a bleak present and bleaker future ... that's just pessimism for pessimism's sake.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post

We have Kessel and Lupul up front who for most of the year were in the top 10 in scoring. If JVR can live up to his potential - that will give us 3 Elite player either in, or just entering their prime. Add Kadri, Grabo, Colborne, Biggs, and Kulemin as potentially some "very good" players - and you have a strong forward group in the future.
Phaneuf and Gardiner are "Very good" D men. Rielly has the potential to be Elite. Add Finn, Blacker, and Percy for support, and we have the makings of one of the leagues best D in the future.
If Riemer can return to form, we'll have solid (not spectacular, but solid) goalie. Sparks is turning heads and excelling ahead of his draft position.

Do we need a #1 Centre? You bet. But Boston didn't have a bonafide #1C when they won the cup. About 14 months ago the Rangers were a very good team missing a number one centre. We need to upgrade out goaltending -agreed.

Needing to upgrade two positions is a LONG way away from have a bleak present and bleaker future ... that's just pessimism for pessimism's sake.
Once again, Kessel, Grabovski, Phaneuf, Lupul, Kulemin are already in their primes. We just finished 5th last with those players already in their primes.
Of all the young players coming up, who are elite? Who are legitimate difference makers? Maybe Rielly?
People like Colbourne, Kadri, Blacker, Percy, etc are dime a dozen prospects. EVERY team is full of prospects like them. They are VERY unlikely to be high impact 1st line players.

Our 'elite' players in a few years will still be Kessel, Phaneuf, Grabovski, etc. Our current mediocre support players will be replaced by then with our current mediocre prospects.

A team like Edmonton is full of elite players who are NOT YET in their primes. After their 4 or so utterly elite franchise all star players, they are still full of "leaf type" mediocre prospects like Kadri, Colbourne, Biggs, etc. That's a team that has a very bright future.
What's the key difference? They're star players aren't in their primes yet (so things will dramatically improve for them when that happens) while the leafs star players are well into their primes and we still finish 5th last.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:46 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
But all of our best players are currently in their prime and we just finished 5th last.
Having a good 3rd line won't turn the team from 5th last to contention.
We don't have any "game breaker" type prospects, except for Rielly (arguably).
When I look at our current team on paper, I don't for a second see young guys that will turn into elite players a few years down the road. Our mediocre players like Connolly, Lombardi, Komisarek replaced by mediocre guys like Kadri, Colborne, and Percy. Guys that at this stage in the game would be THRILLED to have nhl careers like Connolly, Lombardi, and Komisarek.
I've heard defence wins championships and our defenceman, 22 and under are fabulous.

Rielly, Gardiner, Blacker, Finn, Percy and more unherald propects won't all be stars but they will form a very good defencive unit. But it may be a few years.

Colborne has high skill and could have a solid career.

JVR is a possible high end talent.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:48 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Tyler Biggs

Quote:
— It took Biggs a couple of games to get into the swing of things, but once the games against Finland and Sweden hit, he was among Team USA’s best in camp. Six of his seven points came in three games against the European squads. That’s what is really encouraging about Biggs’ camp. The big forward was able to produce while not sacrificing his hard-nosed game. If nothing else, most of his points came thanks, in part, to that hard-nosed style Biggs is a powerful skater, which, in addition to his physical strength, is really important for the big ice. He showed a little more touch during camp than he’s displayed in the past, but still won’t wow anyone with his skill. The most important thing is that he’s learning how to use what he does have more effectively, and it happened to translate into points in camp. I don’t know if he’d be a major point-producer at the WJC, but he’d certainly be an important asset.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post

The premise of the debate is "in 5/8 years|

Many key names you listed will be well past their primes by then.

Lups will be 34/37 by then
Dion- 32/35
Grabo- 34/37
Kuli- 31/34

Hell even Kessel will be 30/33 in this timeline.

Just think about it folks, from when this teardown started like 5 years ago with the Fox , it still feels like yesterday.

In that same time frame our core will already be in their 30s.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I've heard defence wins championships and our defenceman, 22 and under are fabulous.

Rielly, Gardiner, Blacker, Finn, Percy and more unherald propects won't all be stars but they will form a very good defencive unit. But it may be a few years.

Scary to think that even big Joe will be 27/30 in this premises timeline.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:24 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:

Yay. In two to three years we'll have a scary good third line if everyone pans out as planned. If we had real depth, we wouldn't be finishing 5th last. Having depth is not missing a beat when someone goes down.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:

You're counting on 5 guys, from the defense prospects alone, to make it, and to make it big. You don't think you're setting yourself up for a little heartbreak here?

Last edited by achtungbaby: 08-17-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Closed Thread