Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Finally on the topic of luck I have to say from playing sports and watching sports luck goes both ways. You get your share of "luck" going your way as well as against. Its not just a one way street.

I always think of baseball as breaking down the season in three parts. Just on #'s, luck, etc you are going to win 50 games, you are going to lose 50 games but its the other 62 that effort, planning, strategy, etc will determine the best teams.

So I get it....we have had injuries but at the end of the day we are a bad, bad baseball *team*. 175m payroll, last place.....just throw luck out of it. We suck.

And RT--I think you are a cool nerd.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Therick67

Teams with luck are usually teams that work hard, don't give up and do the right thing. That doesn't describe this team IMO. They aren't talented enough to act like clowns and still win.

Last edited by Therick67: 08-16-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old
08-16-2012, 08:34 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
luck has plenty to do with it.

injuries are bad luck. players underperforming at the same time is bad luck.

i'm not sitting here trying to excuse everything away as "bad luck". but it's certainly something.
Luck has nothing to do with it. Like Adrian Gonzalez said last year, it was God's will. So the reason they suck this year is all God's fault...

Old
08-16-2012, 08:39 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Teams with luck are usually teams that work hard, don't give up and do the right thing. That doesn't descrive this team IMO. They aren't talented enough to act like clowns and still win.
That's exactly right. Good teams make their own luck to a certain extent. Bad teams look for reasons why they fail and point the finger. When Josh Beckett walks a guy, it's because he was squeezed by the ump. When Jon Lester gets lit up and gives up 4 HR's in a game, it's because Bobby V left him in too long. When David Ortiz strikes out with 2 down and a man on 3rd, it's because the ump blew the call. I've never seen a bigger collection of guys who just don't get it. Nothing is ever their fault.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
That's exactly right. Good teams make their own luck to a certain extent. Bad teams look for reasons why they fail and point the finger. When Josh Beckett walks a guy, it's because he was squeezed by the ump. When Jon Lester gets lit up and gives up 4 HR's in a game, it's because Bobby V left him in too long. When David Ortiz strikes out with 2 down and a man on 3rd, it's because the ump blew the call. I've never seen a bigger collection of guys who just don't get it. Nothing is ever their fault.
I know it's a bit simplistic, but if Beckett & Lester do anything this team is in it. Them sucking isn't bad luck, it's them sucking.

Last edited by Therick67: 08-16-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old
08-16-2012, 08:52 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
And when he does have it the medical staff/team will look even more incompetent....
As if that is even possible.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:59 AM
CDJ

Did we discuss that blatant quick pitch last night at all? That was some ********. I don't know if we discussed it or not, because this team makes me drink to forget.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:01 AM
bp13

Bobby V in today's Globe

“From what I gather it’s common, it’s what happens here. One of the things I was discussing with one of the players was that all this noise is one of the reasons players don’t like to sign here,” said the manager. “You know, they don’t have to deal with it in other markets. They don’t have to worry about the drama of the day, they can just go out and play baseball.”

Is this clown serious? How much of the drama does he start himself with his own stupidity? This experiment is just over. End it.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I know it's a bit simplistic, but if Beckett & Lester do anything this team is in it. Them sucking isn't bad luck, it's them sucking.
I agree to an extent. They've gotten zero out of both those guys, which has certainly made them worse. That being said though, the team in general is lacking. How many times have you seen a guy get called up for a spot start only to watch him shut the Sox offense down completely? It's happened way too much for a team with this kind of supposed offensive talent. They compile stats and runs in meaningless blowout games but can't score in the clutch when they need to. A perfect example is the recent series versus the Indians. They outscored the tribe 21-13 in that series, which sounds good over 4 games, but they only managed a split of that series. In actuality, 14 runs came in one game. The rest of the time they were outscored 13-7. See what I mean? Compilers.

To further emphasize my point, I heard some stat this morning that they've only won 6 games all year when trailing after the 6th inning. That's just ridiculous.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Did we discuss that blatant quick pitch last night at all? That was some ********. I don't know if we discussed it or not, because this team makes me drink to forget.
Its just our bad luck again. Poor us.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:16 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Its just our bad luck again. Poor us.
Need more rabbits feet

Old
08-16-2012, 10:18 AM
C77

Mark Prior sighting at McCoy Stadium last night....I had forgotten about him.

Someone had a sweet Porsche in the parking lot....probably Dice-K!

Old
08-16-2012, 10:20 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
“From what I gather it’s common, it’s what happens here. One of the things I was discussing with one of the players was that all this noise is one of the reasons players don’t like to sign here,” said the manager. “You know, they don’t have to deal with it in other markets. They don’t have to worry about the drama of the day, they can just go out and play baseball.”

Is this clown serious? How much of the drama does he start himself with his own stupidity? This experiment is just over. End it.

Remember the Jimy Williams days?

With a frog lickin' his bump to bump or whatever the hell he used to say....and crazy Carl Everett bumping umpires and no dinosaurs.

I don't see a reason to blame Valentine for the players because spoiled....It was that way before he got here and the owners enable the players.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post

With a frog lickin' his bump to bump or whatever the hell he used to say....and crazy Carl Everett bumping umpires and no dinosaurs.

I don't see a reason to blame Valentine for the players because spoiled....It was that way before he got here and the owners enable the players.
A frog wouldn't bump his booty if he had wings...

Old
08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Mancini0518

Anybody know what Remy said about Manny that got KPD's panties in a bunch?

Old
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Anybody know what Remy said about Manny that got KPD's panties in a bunch?
It was a story about how Manny didn't want to make the final trip of the season the year Kerrigan took over. Then it was a story of him playing loud music on the media/staff bus and Kerrigan coming over to tell him to turn it down and Manny just telling him "no".

In other words, he was saying this year hasn't been that bad yet.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:33 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
THANK GOD you guys have Bobby V. You should be kissing his ass. I've followed this team all year. This is the most pathetic pro team I have ever seen!!!! And this goes back well before Bobby V came to town.

There really are only two solutions to fixing the Red Sox:

Gut the team of its core

-or-

Sign Bobby V to an extension.

Don't side with those pieces of **** disgracing the Red Sox uniform, they are losers.

If you are are not going to gut the core, you MUST resign Bobby V for one reason and one reason only:

They hate him and Bobby V ain't giving in. They need tough love.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
This is what I meant when I said balks are extremely subjective (in this case, a quick pitch because nobody was on base).

Quote:
He has a hair across his ass for Valentine. All anyone has to do is look at all the drama from last year to see Valentine's point. I'm sure he was to blame for last year too though.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:47 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
He has a hair across his ass for Valentine. All anyone has to do is look at all the drama from last year to see Valentine's point. I'm sure he was to blame for last year too though.
I thought it was the chicken delivery guy last year?

*Also, I said before this is the most pathetic pro team in my lifetime, it's close, but this is actually second to the 2004 Cubs. We gave in to the players and you know how it ended, even recently with guys like Z and Dempster. You MUST make life a living hell for them or get them the **** out, trust me, I know. You enable them, it just keeps getting worse.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
EverettMike

3.1%

Seems high.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Johnnyduke

I bet there are still people out there who think if they fired Valentine today, this particular group of players would then go out there and put together some magical run.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
I bet there are still people out there who think if they fired Valentine today, this particular group of players would then go out there and put together some magical run.
Those people would be delusional. I think everyone in the Boston area knows this team is dead because the starters are awful, and they've been dead for a few weeks now (probably longer).

But I think the overwhelming majority thinks that one of the major changes that needs to be made is restoring some credibility to the manager's position.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:12 PM
bp13

Quote:

Again, nobody is BLAMING Valentine. Why in the world do people keep creating this strawman day after day. I ask again...Mike Aviles is not the reason this team sucks, but does anybody want him starting at SS next season?

Bobby V is not THE reason this team sucks. He's on the list behind the starters, injuries, a combination of poor seasons from key players, etc. But he's on the list. He's a drama queen who commands zero respect. Since you can't clear out your top two starters today, you can't control injuries and you can't control whether key players are having bad years, YOU CHANGE WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Therick67

While Bobby V didn't create the problem, he sure doesn't look to be part of the solution.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM
MioneRask134

^ there is no solution until ownership takes responsibility for enabling them for years.

Closed Thread