HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is bozak the best NCAA free agent signing recently

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
  #76
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Andy Greene?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
  #77
wKetch22
Pure Grime
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 10,332
vCash: 500
Rich Peverley

wKetch22 is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:14 PM
  #78
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Did I seriously just see Cory Conachar on a list AHEAD of Peverley?

CDJ* is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:18 PM
  #79
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Not sure why Matt Read goes higher on the list. Same age -- 26. Same points -- 47 -- but Bozak played 6 fewer games. Bozak is also excellent on draws and isn't over-matched against other top centers. But he does wear blue and not orange -- so I guess that's enough for most around here.
Oh my god. Spare me the Toronto players are underrated pity party. There is a decent case for putting Read ahead of Bozak. Read is also a good defensive forward. Teams matter in this, but Bozak is a -7 to Read's +13. Apparently his line was a little over matched against other top competition at some point, they're a first line with a negative +/-.

Read plays 17:03 minutes a game, 2:35 of it is on the penalty kill and 2:25 on the power play. Tyler Bozak plays 18:50 minutes a game. 2:41 of his time on ice is on the power play, with only :41 seconds on the penalty kill.

So Bozak gets a teeny bit more PP time, spends 2 minutes less time on the penalty kill a game, and plays 15:28 of even strength time with Lupul and Kessel, where as Read gets 12:03 minutes 5-on-5 a game between the third and second lines. He also had a better first season in the league than Bozak.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:23 PM
  #80
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Read is also a good defensive forward. Read got his points on the second and third line, not with Lupul and Kessel.

Read plays 17:03 minutes a game, 2:35 of it is on the penalty kill and 2:25 on the power play. Tyler Bozak plays 18:50 minutes a game. 2:41 of his time on ice is on the power play, with only :41 seconds on the penalty kill.

So Bozak gets a teeny bit more PP time, spends 2 minutes less time on the penalty kill a game, and plays 15:28 of even strength time with Lupul and Kessel, where as Read gets 12:03 minutes 5-on-5 a game between the third and second lines. He also had a better first season in the league than Bozak.
This. Bozak is useful as a 1st or 2nd line C, and hasn't excelled in those spots, he just performs steadily. Playing mostly with 2 of the top wingers in the league statistically for large parts of this past year, Bozak underwhelmed. Where as, Read can play anywhere in the lineup, on either special teams unit and gives you some nice offense and very reliable D for a young forward who just broke into the NHL. You can see where his value comes from.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
  #81
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,295
vCash: 500
He's not all that good, so I'd have to hope he's not the best.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
  #82
CupWanted
#19 The Future
 
CupWanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Any list of top 5 guys since 05 that doesn't include Andy Greene is a failure.

And he played for Miami University.

CupWanted is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:55 PM
  #83
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I would agree, but Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph have pretty strong arguments too.
Yes, indeed.

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 03:33 AM
  #84
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Try watching the kid play. But of course it's the internet -- you don't need to -- you can just spew garbage from your keyboard and pretend you have a clue.
It's time you face the facts. There's a reason the Leafs are a bad hockey team and it's because their players aren't as good as you and Leafs Nation seems to think they are. Tyler Bozak doesn't make the Leafs a better team.

WarriorofTime is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 04:20 AM
  #85
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,597
vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Since 2005...

1. Teddy Purcell (Los Angeles)
2. Chris Kunitz (Anaheim)
3. Tyler Bozak (Toronto)
4. Matt Read (Philadelphia)
5. Jason Garrison (Florida)
6. Cory Conacher (Tampa Bay)
7. Rich Peverley (Nashville)
8. Dustin Penner (Anaheim)
9. JT Brown (Tampa Bay)
10. Spencer Abbott (Toronto)

HM. Danny Dekeyser (2013)
HM. Chris Tanev (Vancouver)
The awkward moment when Dustin Penner, Jason Garrison and Rich Peverley are below Tyler Bozak. And Abott is ahead of Tanev

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 05:53 AM
  #86
MapleReef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nassau Bahamas
Country: Bahamas
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Agree he is a 3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Bozak's 26, he's either at his peak or not far off it. He's playing in a bigger role than he should have so he is overachieving. Coming right out of the lockout the Blackhawks were really bad. Their top line players were Kyle Bell (26), Mark Bell (25), and Tyler Arnason (26). Calder put up 59 points, Bell 48, and Arnason 41 in 60 games. When you're a bad team someone's going to get ice time and put up some points over the year that will over-inflate their league-wide capabilities. Bozak wouldn't be a #1 Center playing with players like Phil Kessel on any other team so his points are a bit higher than his talent level. All three of those guys mentioned from the Blackhawks are out of the NHL now. We'll see what happens with Bozak from 26-30.
I agree with what you are saying and I also think we are making a lot of the same points. If he gets put in their isn't role as a 3C with guys like Kulemin and Frattin I see him having a great year. Time will tell.

MapleReef is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 06:03 AM
  #87
GoBs
Registered User
 
GoBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Rich Peverley
Yeh it would have to be Peverly. Bozak is in a good situation up in Toronto. There is not another team in the league that would have him as there #1 center, and chances are he doesn't make most teams.

GoBs is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 06:28 AM
  #88
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Yeh it would have to be Peverly. Bozak is in a good situation up in Toronto. There is not another team in the league that would have him as there #1 center, and chances are he doesn't make most teams.
While I agree that he had a fantastic rare opportunity, your little stab at the end is completely moronic. Bozak is an NHL player and would make any team.

Rinzler is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 06:32 AM
  #89
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Oh my god. Spare me the Toronto players are underrated pity party. There is a decent case for putting Read ahead of Bozak. Read is also a good defensive forward. Teams matter in this, but Bozak is a -7 to Read's +13. Apparently his line was a little over matched against other top competition at some point, they're a first line with a negative +/-.

Read plays 17:03 minutes a game, 2:35 of it is on the penalty kill and 2:25 on the power play. Tyler Bozak plays 18:50 minutes a game. 2:41 of his time on ice is on the power play, with only :41 seconds on the penalty kill.

So Bozak gets a teeny bit more PP time, spends 2 minutes less time on the penalty kill a game, and plays 15:28 of even strength time with Lupul and Kessel, where as Read gets 12:03 minutes 5-on-5 a game between the third and second lines. He also had a better first season in the league than Bozak.
Not only is there a decent case for putting Read ahead of Bozak, think about it for one minute, where would Bozak slot in on this Flyers team? Umm, the Phantoms?

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 06:37 AM
  #90
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Since 2005...

1. Teddy Purcell (Los Angeles)
2. Chris Kunitz (Anaheim)
3. Tyler Bozak (Toronto)
4. Matt Read (Philadelphia)
5. Jason Garrison (Florida)
6. Cory Conacher (Tampa Bay)
7. Rich Peverley (Nashville)
8. Dustin Penner (Anaheim)
9. JT Brown (Tampa Bay)
10. Spencer Abbott (Toronto)

HM. Danny Dekeyser (2013)
HM. Chris Tanev (Vancouver)
embarrassingly biased list.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 07:11 AM
  #91
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Not only is there a decent case for putting Read ahead of Bozak, think about it for one minute, where would Bozak slot in on this Flyers team? Umm, the Phantoms?
So what you are saying is that because Bozak isn't a fit for the Flyers that he isn't good enough to make their team?

Rinzler is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 07:53 AM
  #92
StatesideSensFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
I see a lot of Purcell, can someone please tell me when he was ever part of the NCAA
according to this, 06-07.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=76732


Last edited by StatesideSensFan: 08-16-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot the URL
StatesideSensFan is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
  #93
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
So what you are saying is that because Bozak isn't a fit for the Flyers that he isn't good enough to make their team?
No, what I am saying is that there is defintely a case for putting Read ahead of Bozak because there is a least one team(the Flyers) who would take Read over Bozak. Other teams may rather have Bozak because of being in a dfferent situation, but if you have reasonable depth, a lot of teams would take Read over Bozak. If you have no center depth, well then maybe you need to take Bozak to put a team on the ice.

What would you rather have, a 3rd line center or 2nd/3rd line wing? there sometimes is very little difference between the value of those players depending on their skill and I see a lot of teams who wold take Read over Bozak. Bozak is a 3rd line center on most teams, he isn't even the best center on the Leafs regardless of what line he plays on. Bozak has his postion because the Leafs don't have a player that is a legit 1st liner at the center position. If they did, and Bozak was still on the team, where would he be playing? He certainly isn't going to displace Grabovski, he would be the 3rd line center at best. Read is a 2nd/3rd line wing on every team and if he is playing on your 3rd line I have to imagine you have one of the deepest teams in the league as far as forwards go.

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 08:38 AM
  #94
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Oh my god. Spare me the Toronto players are underrated pity party. There is a decent case for putting Read ahead of Bozak. Read is also a good defensive forward. Teams matter in this, but Bozak is a -7 to Read's +13. Apparently his line was a little over matched against other top competition at some point, they're a first line with a negative +/-.

Read plays 17:03 minutes a game, 2:35 of it is on the penalty kill and 2:25 on the power play. Tyler Bozak plays 18:50 minutes a game. 2:41 of his time on ice is on the power play, with only :41 seconds on the penalty kill.

So Bozak gets a teeny bit more PP time, spends 2 minutes less time on the penalty kill a game, and plays 15:28 of even strength time with Lupul and Kessel, where as Read gets 12:03 minutes 5-on-5 a game between the third and second lines. He also had a better first season in the league than Bozak.
and he had a lower ppg. Not saying Bozak is better but there is no case for Read being definitely better. Bozak also plays a more valuable position and is great on draws. He's also good defensively.

birddog* is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 08:39 AM
  #95
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
No, what I am saying is that there is defintely a case for putting Read ahead of Bozak because there is a least one team(the Flyers) who would take Read over Bozak. Other teams may rather have Bozak because of being in a dfferent situation, but if you have reasonable depth, a lot of teams would take Read over Bozak. If you have no center depth, well then maybe you need to take Bozak to put a team on the ice.

What would you rather have, a 3rd line center or 2nd/3rd line wing? there sometimes is very little difference between the value of those players depending on their skill and I see a lot of teams who wold take Read over Bozak. Bozak is a 3rd line center on most teams, he isn't even the best center on the Leafs regardless of what line he plays on. Bozak has his postion because the Leafs don't have a player that is a legit 1st liner at the center position. If they did, and Bozak was still on the team, where would he be playing? He certainly isn't going to displace Grabovski, he would be the 3rd line center at best. Read is a 2nd/3rd line wing on every team and if he is playing on your 3rd line I have to imagine you have one of the deepest teams in the league as far as forwards go.
And there are a few teams that would take Bozak over Read....so what's your point?

birddog* is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 08:41 AM
  #96
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
And there are a few teams that would take Bozak over Read....so what's your point?
That there is more than a "decent" argument that Read is better than Bozak.

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 08:41 AM
  #97
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Annnnnnnnndy Greene

GM17* is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
  #98
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
If anything, this thread proves that the yearly NCAA free agent happening is nothing to get excited about.

Fozz is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 09:36 AM
  #99
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
No, what I am saying is that there is defintely a case for putting Read ahead of Bozak because there is a least one team(the Flyers) who would take Read over Bozak. Other teams may rather have Bozak because of being in a dfferent situation, but if you have reasonable depth, a lot of teams would take Read over Bozak. If you have no center depth, well then maybe you need to take Bozak to put a team on the ice.

What would you rather have, a 3rd line center or 2nd/3rd line wing? there sometimes is very little difference between the value of those players depending on their skill and I see a lot of teams who wold take Read over Bozak. Bozak is a 3rd line center on most teams, he isn't even the best center on the Leafs regardless of what line he plays on. Bozak has his postion because the Leafs don't have a player that is a legit 1st liner at the center position. If they did, and Bozak was still on the team, where would he be playing? He certainly isn't going to displace Grabovski, he would be the 3rd line center at best. Read is a 2nd/3rd line wing on every team and if he is playing on your 3rd line I have to imagine you have one of the deepest teams in the league as far as forwards go.
I agree. Teams tend to prefer different players for different situations.

Rinzler is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 10:06 AM
  #100
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
I'd prefer Read. Better goal scorer.

CDJ* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.