HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez kicking ass in Alaska! (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Gomez kicking ass in Alaska!

Devils and Alaska Aces C Scott Gomez had a league-high 35 assists in his first 30 games in the ECHL. Gomez started 2005 on an incredible roll. In six games starting on New Year's Eve, he had two goals and 17 assists. That is not a typo.

Old
01-19-2005, 02:18 PM
pelts35.com

No offense here, but I think it would be pretty embarassing if Gomez wasn't lighting up the ECHL. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't scored more goals.

Old
01-19-2005, 02:31 PM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
No offense here, but I think it would be pretty embarassing if Gomez wasn't lighting up the ECHL. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't scored more goals.
I'm guessing Gomer was taking it rather easy in terms of his intensity those first couple of months. I doubt he was taking many risks while playing in that league with the possibility of a return to the NHL. He's probably come to the conclusion that the NHL season is history. With no fear of injury, he is able to dominate the way he could have all along. Either that, or he finally got his head out of his @$$.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
I have one thing to say.

SHOOT!!!

Make it illegal for Gomez to pass or something.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Le Golie

Are you familiar with the level of hockey in the league he plays in? It's brutal. He is playing against guys that don't even have a sniff at playing in the AHL. He is playing against the average Canadian male hockey player that grows over 6'2" and still refuses to get a real job, not the talented players that actually go somewhere. His level of production is expected. At best.

To his credit, I'm sure he isn't overly motivated and certainly not going to be putting himself in position to get injured. So he's taking it easy on the poor saps in the ECHL.

Old
01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
Are you familiar with the level of hockey in the league he plays in? It's brutal. He is playing against guys that don't even have a sniff at playing in the AHL. He is playing against the average Canadian male hockey player that grows over 6'2" and still refuses to get a real job, not the talented players that actually go somewhere. His level of production is expected. At best.

To his credit, I'm sure he isn't overly motivated and certainly not going to be putting himself in position to get injured. So he's taking it easy on the poor saps in the ECHL.
yeah, but it shows that even there he's willing to try

Old
01-19-2005, 04:35 PM
DownFromNJ

The level of play is Gomez's problem. I remember hearing an account of a game that he played in. He would be double teamed and make 3-4 amazing passes per period which should have been goals but there was no one there to take advantage of them.

Old
01-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Hellsempire

That is great for Gomez and now he will be ready to go when the NHL season resumes in February. He will be in shape and hopefully he SHOOTS more with the Devils. Glad to see that he is doing very well in Alaska.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:36 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
The level of play is Gomez's problem. I remember hearing an account of a game that he played in. He would be double teamed and make 3-4 amazing passes per period which should have been goals but there was no one there to take advantage of them.

I have been to two or three games but I know that was how it was earlier this season. It could have changed though He just doesn't shoot enough.

Old
01-20-2005, 03:48 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

just to put this in perspective...gomez's sometimes linemate Chris Minard recently received a callup to the AHL's Milwaukee Admirals...who..despite being racked by injuries..have yet to use him.

I'd worry if Gomez weren't tearing that league apart. Hell, Hnidy is a first pairing d-man and Jeremy Stevenson is on the first line with an alternate captain letter.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:28 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
Are you familiar with the level of hockey in the league he plays in? It's brutal. He is playing against guys that don't even have a sniff at playing in the AHL. He is playing against the average Canadian male hockey player that grows over 6'2" and still refuses to get a real job, not the talented players that actually go somewhere.
I certainly agree that Gomez is much more talented than the rest of the ECHL, but I think you are confusing the ECHL with the Ligue nord-américaine de hockey. 115 former-ECHL players laced them up in the National Hockey League last year (thanks to Holly Gunning, see the article.)

Old
01-22-2005, 03:47 PM
wingram75

Gomez lighting it up

Read an article in Sporting News that says Gomez is leading the league in assists. He had 2 goals and 17 assists in last 6 games. That's just ridiculous. I bet everyone in the league hates him .

Old
01-22-2005, 03:51 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingram75
Read an article in Sporting News that says Gomez is leading the league in assists. He had 2 goals and 17 assists in last 6 games. That's just ridiculous. I bet everyone in the league hates him .

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=124678

Old
01-22-2005, 06:29 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Gomez

I watched him play last night here in Victoria, and he had a phenomenal game. You can tell he's holding back, not taking many shots, looking to make the extra pass to set up somebody else. He had at least 2 assists against our lowly Salmon Kings. I think he took a spear from a player in the first period though, which was pretty ugly.

Oh, and Scott, if you're out there, what's up with those shorts man? Talk about tattered! The whole inseam is all torn and shredded. Maybe they're comfy, or you're superstitious, but I don't get it.

I wouldn't be so eager to trash the calibre of play in the ECHL either. I was pleasantly surprised. Alaska's powerplay was a force. It was great hockey. Certainly better than watching the junior clubs in the CHL.

On another note, our home team was dishing out cheap shots like crazy. It was ugly and embarrassing, I hope they don't play like that every night.

Old
01-22-2005, 07:08 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Recently I was invited to play on the outdoor ice with my girlfriends dad and his weekly group of old farts. Like Gomez I was 100 times better than those guys... did I skate around them and score a whole bunch of goals? No. I got them involved in the play and passed the puck. Made some pretty plays and kept every one on my side.

Gomez is doing the same thing.

Every time he sets up a goal one of his teammates is getting a boost. He doesn't want to alienate his teammates by hot dogging every game, he's getting his teammates involved and I bet they appreciate it.

Old
01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
David Puddy

Bad news for this kid Gomez, he was not selected to the ECHL All-Star Game roster. Aces teammate Chris Minard is the lone representative to the All-Star Game that is to be held in Reading, Pennsylvania on Wednesday, January 26.

Scott Gomez, who was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 1st Round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, currently leads the league in assists with 41, and he is third in points with 46. In fact, only four players in the league have more points than Gomez has assists. The native Alaskan center also leads the ECHL in points-per-game (1.39) and power play assists (15.)

Old
01-24-2005, 04:46 PM
rtafts

Send a message via MSN to rtafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Bad news for this kid Gomez, he was not selected to the ECHL All-Star Game roster. Aces teammate Chris Minard is the lone representative to the All-Star Game that is to be held in Reading, Pennsylvania on Wednesday, January 26.

Scott Gomez, who was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 1st Round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, currently leads the league in assists with 41, and he is third in points with 46. In fact, only four players in the league have more points than Gomez has assists. The native Alaskan center also leads the ECHL in points-per-game (1.39) and power play assists (15.)

Old
01-24-2005, 04:47 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

I don't have a problem with that decision. Does Gomez technically deserve to be there? Of course..but...it's not really fair, and I think that had something to do with it.

Old
01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
[QUOTE=David Puddy]Bad news for this kid Gomez, he was not selected to the ECHL All-Star Game roster. Aces teammate Chris Minard is the lone representative to the All-Star Game that is to be held in Reading, Pennsylvania on Wednesday, January 26.
QUOTE]

somebody(Holly Gunning) on the ECHL board posted this

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=122267

The ECHL All-Star game is more of a 'young players showcase' than a true collection of the best players. It's players who are young and excelling, that they want to move up. The starters are voted in by a group that includes the media, so vets might be there, but otherwise, it's guys around 25 and younger.

If that is the case which looks like it because gomez is doing very well right now.

Old
01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I don't have a problem with that decision. Does Gomez technically deserve to be there? Of course..but...it's not really fair, and I think that had something to do with it.
I think I agree with you, but it probably would have been good for selling tickets to the game and skills competition.

I was curious to see the voting process, and I found this in an article,
Quote:
The starting lineups were determined by a vote of coaches, team captains, media relations directors, broadcasters and newspaper writers. Coaches submitted lists of their best prospects to fill the rest of the team.

Old
01-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Gomez.....the Rodney Dangerfield of the hockey.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:41 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Gomez can't win. If he's totally pwning, people would say he's 'show boating.' If he's totally sucking, people would say 'told you so...he sucks.'

You have to get used to it as a Devils fan. It's just like Brodeur. If he's totally pwning, people would say he's 'a product of the system/defense.' If he's totally sucking, people would say 'told you so...he sucks.'

Old
01-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin
Every time he sets up a goal one of his teammates is getting a boost. He doesn't want to alienate his teammates by hot dogging every game, he's getting his teammates involved and I bet they appreciate it.
You probably put it best right here mazmin. Gomez is established NHL player, and one of the better ones at that. I'm sure the league is even doing him some good since he is getting a chance to improve his game, and gain confidence.

The ECHL isn't a horrible league either. While it's a notch below the AHL, there is still some good competition down there.

Old
01-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Sum

Can't agree more with you. I don't have a problem with the fact that Gomez is not selected. We agree that he should have been on the roster, but it wouldn't have been really fair, especially if the All Star game is more of a 'young players showcase', to quote Sandman.

Quote:
You probably put it best right here mazmin. Gomez is established NHL player, and one of the better ones at that. I'm sure the league is even doing him some good since he is getting a chance to improve his game, and gain confidence.
I agree. In fact I'm pretty glad to see he's doing well in ECHL. I don't really care he doesn't score goals, the most important is Gomer has the opportunity to improve and stay sharp. He also discovers another league, another level and I'm sure it'll be a good thing for him eventually.

Old
01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
I'm sure it is like the USHL -- it isn't an All-Star game in the way we think of it. It is a "Future Stars" game. Players who have the potential to play either in major college or get drafted play in that game.

Closed Thread