HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What are your hockey related pet peeves?

Old
08-17-2012, 12:18 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Lockouts.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Lockouts.
Beat me to it.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
I don't understand this. I mean I'm a Wings fan, so I'd be on the other side of the fence, but I'm also a Michigan State Spartans fan/alum and just because some other Big Ten schools have the same type of elitism among their fans, especially football wise(Michigan, OSU), it doesn't bother me. I hate Michigan, for obvious reasons, but I respect the OSU football program and the success they've had, regardless of cash for tats scandals, etc. because in all reality, it goes on at every major foozeball program. Back to the topic though, why does it bother you? Is it jealousy? I'd understand if you are talking about the Habs or Toronto, as both teams have been irrelevant for the better part of two decades+, but in my lifetime I've had the pleasure of watching well over a dozen hall of fame careers, 21 straight playoff appearances, 6 President's Trophies, 6 Stanley Cup Final appearances, and 4 Stanley Cup Championships. Does the success of my favorite sports team make me an elitist? I don't think so, I try to respect others and don't look down on other franchises as though they are not equal to my team, because in today's NHL anyone can win the Stanley Cup.
What you're talking about with your OSU analogy is a team having pride in it's history. That's perfectly fine. As a Wings fan celebrate your history, I did when I was a Wings fan.

What I'm referring to is the "Original 6" as a whole. The fact that the league promotes certain teams above others by having memorabilia which lists those teams as a group. No other league promotes a certain group of teams above the others. Every time realignment talk comes up, everybody worries about which Original 6 matchups can be reunited. When Boston won the Stanley Cup the talk about how 3 of the last 4 cups had been won by Original 6 teams, as if Pittsburgh's cup was somehow less important.

That's what I'm referring to.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:46 AM
jw2

"What quarter is it?"

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Lux Aurumque*

- Teams with no fanbase.
- Obnoxious fans of the visiting team. That includes fans of my own team when they visit Edmonton.
- Defensemen who can't play a lick of defense (I'm looking at you, Erik Karlsson and Mike Green).
- THE WAVE. This is hockey, not ****ing soccer.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:52 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
People who try to tell others how to enjoy hockey. Yes, I can be a fan of two teams. Some people seem to think it's worse than cheating on your spouse.

Someone mentioned spitting is gross. I agree and will raise you projectile snotting. That's particularly disgusting. The ice must be covered with spit and snot.Wonderful things like Hep are easily transmissable this way. At least have troughs or something so everyone doesn't have to trample through that.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:00 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Vuvuzelas at hockey games. IIRC when watching games on TV, I heard quite a few honking at games during the Olympics in 2010 and also for a short while afterwards during post-Olympic NHL games.

Not only are they infuriatingly annoying in general, this is hockey not soccer!!!! I swear if I was ever at a game and some moron sitting in front of, beside, or behind me was honking one I'd smash the ******* thing.

I loathe vuvuzelas. Arenas shouldnt even permit them for any sport.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:05 AM
entropism

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Then you haven't watched hockey in the past season. Every game is in HD now. Also, when the Knicks, Rangers, and Devils are playing, then the Rangers get switched to MSG2+ and not the Devils.
MSG+2 is only in HD if you have Cablevision/Optimum. Comcast/FIOS/Dish/DirecTV etc still only get SD (and a horrible, compressed version at that.)

entropism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
People who try to tell others how to enjoy hockey. Yes, I can be a fan of two teams. Some people seem to think it's worse than cheating on your spouse.

Someone mentioned spitting is gross. I agree and will raise you projectile snotting. That's particularly disgusting. The ice must be covered with spit and snot.Wonderful things like Hep are easily transmissable this way. At least have troughs or something so everyone doesn't have to trample through that.
Snot troughs are great until you knock one over with your skate during a line change. Especially later in the game.

Last edited by middletoe: 08-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.
middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

A slash doesn't break a stick, just defensive stick work.

When a slash breaks a stick = automatic minor penalty.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
guy beside you basically wacking you in the face with a towel during a playoff game lol

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
guy beside you basically wacking you in the face with a towel during a playoff game lol
Kid sitting in front of you wears a huge hat with a Shark on it. (They sell it at Sharks games). Great for team spirit. Horrible to sit behind.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:46 PM
darglor

vCash: 9337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
- Defensemen who can't play a lick of defense (I'm looking at you, Erik Karlsson and Mike Green).
- People that judge players based on reputation instead of legitimately informing themselves.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
malkovsby

people who say crosby sucks

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Vuvuzelas at hockey games. IIRC when watching games on TV, I heard quite a few honking at games during the Olympics in 2010 and also for a short while afterwards during post-Olympic NHL games.

Not only are they infuriatingly annoying in general, this is hockey not soccer!!!! I swear if I was ever at a game and some moron sitting in front of, beside, or behind me was honking one I'd smash the ******* thing.

I loathe vuvuzelas. Arenas shouldnt even permit them for any sport.
I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I find the lack of vuvuzelas disturbing.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I find the lack of vuvuzelas disturbing.
You (and especially your vuvuzela) had better hope that I never run into you at a game then.

However, after terminating your vuvuzela I'll buy ya a beer...hows that?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
The salary cap *ducks*

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Jopsey

Phoenix Coyotes regular season games where the opposing team has more fans than they do..then when the playoffs come around and they sell out, they say they've had a loyal fan base all year.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

The shootout (sissifies the game)
Dump and chase (only works at best 20% of the time...so why do it???)

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

Ticket prices and the amount of money players (and sports players in general) make

The diving, hockey is quickly catching up with Soccer in terms of ridiculous penalty drawing antics

The "how could you not see that" gestures players give refs at the slightest amount of contact or even non-contact. Again if hockey becomes as bad as soccer it will be unwatchable

Tomas Holmstrom style borderline goalie interference during powerplays

USA lack of good quality coverage of hockey. I'll take what I can get but I've seen Canada broadcast and USA is by far substandard IMO

Player name speller police on HFboards

Last edited by Fedorov: 08-17-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

People who feel the need to get up every 10 minutes.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Dump and chase (only works at best 20% of the time...so why do it???)
Because your coach will bench you 100% of the time for being stupid if you're the guy putting your teammates offside and getting lit up at the blue line. + turning the puck over in the middle of the ice all the time is bad. The way teams clog up the neutral zone and counter attack, that puck usually ends up going the other way for an odd man rush faster than you can say healthy scratch.

If you're going to turn it over, you do it as far away from your own net as possible and then play defense. Hockey's not allowed to be fun anymore.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:24 PM
feasey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
- The national anthem being sung before the games. It's pointless and most anthem singers are god awful.
gotta love TRUE NORTH at jets home games

feasey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
feasey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
Phoenix Coyotes regular season games where the opposing team has more fans than they do..then when the playoffs come around and they sell out, they say they've had a loyal fan base all year.
THIS! So much this

feasey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:20 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Joe Corvo View Post
Because your coach will bench you 100% of the time for being stupid if you're the guy putting your teammates offside and getting lit up at the blue line. + turning the puck over in the middle of the ice all the time is bad. The way teams clog up the neutral zone and counter attack, that puck usually ends up going the other way for an odd man rush faster than you can say healthy scratch.

If you're going to turn it over, you do it as far away from your own net as possible and then play defense. Hockey's not allowed to be fun anymore.
I'm putting a caveat on that dump and chase comment... Line changes are the only time when I would accept that as a good move...

When you have a coach (i.e. Terry Murray) that preaches the dump and chase is where you REALLY get into major trouble...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote