HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

next seasons roster. thoughts?

Old
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Red Haired Shanks

vCash: 500
next seasons roster. thoughts?

would you be alright going into next season with this lineup? i dont think luo will be traded until after the season starts and GMs realize there goalies wont cut it(lindback, reimer etc...) then we can get a return closer to what gillis is asking for.

-i have kassian on the top line because i think he is ready for top 6 min and the sedins need a guy like him to protect them. hes 22 hes not a kid anymore so he should be able to fight most guys in the NHL today.
-kesler is replaced by one of our prospects while he is out.
-higgins was a centerman before he came to the canucks so he could move back into the middle and make that 3rd line speedy checking and scoring.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Derek Joslin ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,468,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,731,667

Red Haired Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:23 PM
FAMOUSfin

INB4 raymond would make a better center than higgins

Like this line-up though only if Raymond can start driving play once again. We could at least use him to win offensive zone faceoffs for the Sedins+Kassian and maybe have a pretty decent scoring threat on the 3rd line. I agree that Kassian should get top 6 minutes at this point in his development but I also like that this roster has flexibility for other good line combos for when he slumps.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Would not be ok with that lineup at all. Kassian showed absolutely nothing last season and now he's on the top line?

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Would not be ok with that lineup at all. Kassian showed absolutely nothing last season and now he's on the top line?
This.

Kassian hasn't showed nearly enough to earn Top 6 minutes let alone top line minutes. To think that he could unseat Burrows is absurd.
I also can't see Higgins centering the 3rd line, would much rather see a Higgins - Lappiere - Hansen 3rd and a Weise - Manny - Kassian 4th line.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
struckmatch

So we can't score as much these days so we break up the only line that consistently produces and put a kid who has shown zero offensively at the NHL level into a key top 6 role?

Just checking.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin / Henrik Sedin / Alexandre Burrows
David Booth / Ryan Kesler / Chris Higgins
Zack Kassian / Jordan Schroeder / Jannik Hansen
Maxim Lapierre / Manny Malhotra / Mason Raymond
Dale Weise / Andrew Ebbett

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis / Kevin Bieksa
Alexander Edler / Jason Garrison
Keith Ballard / Chris Tanev
Andrew Alberts

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo
Cory Schneider

This is what I'd like when 100% healthy. A lot depends on Doan signing, Luongo trade...etc

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
nucksfan8888

What I would like is for them to split the sedins up and go with a more balanced approach as it does appear the magical offense of years past is getting rarer as time passes, and the soft offensive zone starts have made them liabilities defensively. I purpose splitting them up for 5 on 5 play; put them together late in a game or on the power play, but during 5 on 5 they drag the team down in overall tempo when they go out there as 2/3rds of a line and don't have the puck because their line doesn't play that way(crash bang and hustle identity is lost with two sedins on the line) Also this is assuming no more moves and going with what they have already and Kesler back. Malhotra's line is AV's standard checking line, with a little less bang offensively than usual, but thats ok because of the 3rd line which at best could be a 3rd scoring line, at worst is a defensively conscious 3rd line that can hit, provide energy and the odd goal, and the top 6 is balanced with speed, size, playmaking, and an insane forecheck on both lines.

Booth-H.Sedin-Burrows
Daniel-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Schroeder/Lapierre-Kassian
Raymond/Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise

Only one of Raymond or Schroeder would be in the line up at a time, and could be replaced by a deadline pickup or loungo trade aquistion

Defensively I think the Canucks should go another route, rather than try an stack the 1st/2nd pairing with Edler-Garrison. Keep all the best defenceman on their natural sides 5 on 5 but play the top 4(Edler-Hamhuis-Bieksa-Garrison) on special teams only (unless they're in the box or injured) PP Garrison plays right side with Edler because thats how he utilizes his shot, but on PK Garrison plays the left side with Edler because he is better defensively than Edler. I know Ballard on the right side 5 on 5 has been tried and failed, but he has never gotten to play with a partner as steady as Garrison before, his own Hamhuis similiar to the Hamjuice pairing. And if that fails, converting Ballard or another asset into a right side top 6 defenceman would the top priority come the deadline.

5 on 5
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Ballard
Alberts

Power Play
Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa

Penalty Kill
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison-Edler

Unfortunately if there is no more roster movement that won't happen. AV will stick to his old habits, juggle lines wildly during a slump but will come back to the same old stuff at the end of the day. Best case scenario he manages to keep raymond out of the top 6(unless their is an injury)

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond/Weise-Malhotra-Hansen
Weise/Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Alberts-Tanev
Ballard

Last edited by nucksfan8888: 08-15-2012 at 06:12 PM.
nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
vector209

The defense looks good but the offense just makes me weep. Really hoping Kassian flourishes and Kesler regains form. Every time I see Booth and his cap hit, I cringe.

vector209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
The defense looks good but the offense just makes me weep. Really hoping Kassian flourishes and Kesler regains form. Every time I see Booth and his cap hit, I cringe.
The offense is not so bad really just lost Erhoff from 2011 playoff run. I would like to see a two way third line center. Just does not seem to be many options out there. Malhotra is not the answer. Love Lapierre but he is not either, but atleast he plays physical and aggressively. I think a second tier playmaking center would be fine as Higgins and Hansen must be two of the easiest wingers to play with in the league. You want to hit they hit, you want to playmake they score.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
biturbo19

Absolutely would not be okay with that.

1)Kassian hasn't shown enough to be gifted 1st line minutes over Burrows. And he'd be a much better fit on the 2nd line anyway, if he takes a big step forward this year. Which i wouldn't be happy banking on.

2)There is zero excuse for this team to go into this season with no 3rd line Center. Higgins is not a center, and i won't be particularly happy if Lappy/Manny are the answer either.

3)Not addressing the holes this team still has would be even more glaring if we end up bringing the circus to town (ie. bring back both goaltenders).

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Red Haired Shanks

to be fair to kassian he didnt get many chances last year to make himself a prominent player. plus when coho joined the roster the first year he wasnt good at all. then after a full season we all thought he was great then he got traded. i think kassian can do the same thing. i agree he hasnt shown much but he was brought to the team to protect the sedins and become a mean powerforward. i think if he gets more chances in the top 6 he will impress. also the sedins have been getting shutdown because they dont have a big guy that crashes the net. kassian can do that plus both sedins need space and with kassian taking people out then have more space.

the 3rd line looks good to me. its not a tough line but defs a good line. that line can be a 2nd line on most teams.

to the booth comment he was injured though half the season, just when he started getting going he got injured then kesler was producing so our whole 2nd line was in shambles.

and luo isnt a lost cause. we can keep him until we get a good return for him or maybe even trade schneider if luo shows him up.

Last edited by Red Haired Shanks: 08-15-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
aandbreatheme

Kassian may have a couple 30 second shifts with the Sedins if things start to look really ugly out there (offensively speaking)...

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Henrik To Daniel

these line ups are downright terrible. we aren't going to do any damage if we don't get some more offensive help. whether it be with doan (unlikely), arnott, or someone else. we need more scoring.

if we have the same forwards as last year going into this season and nothing is done by the trade deadline to improve we can kiss our chances at the cup good bye

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Red Haired Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
these line ups are downright terrible. we aren't going to do any damage if we don't get some more offensive help. whether it be with doan (unlikely), arnott, or someone else. we need more scoring.

if we have the same forwards as last year going into this season and nothing is done by the trade deadline to improve we can kiss our chances at the cup good bye
those same forwards from last year won us a presidents trophy plus a lot of them had off years or we injured. i think this team is better than last years anyways and now we just need everybody to produce at there best and we can win a cup.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Haired Shanks View Post
those same forwards from last year won us a presidents trophy plus a lot of them had off years or we injured. i think this team is better than last years anyways and now we just need everybody to produce at there best and we can win a cup.
where were those forwards when we had one of the most pathetic offensive performances in stanley cup final history? 8 goals in 7 games

our forwards didn't win us the presidents' trophy last year. good defense and incredible goaltending did. luongo and schneider carried our team on their backs

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:57 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
where were those forwards when we had one of the most pathetic offensive performances in stanley cup final history? 8 goals in 7 games
They were the walking dead.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
medhatcanuck

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Doan
Jensen - Bjugstad - Kassian
Higgins - Malholtra - Hansen
Lapierre

Edler - Garrison
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Connauton - Tanev
Alberts

Schneider
Lack

I would be ecstatic with this lineup.
This lineup assumes:
1. Bjugstad can be attained, Doan can be signed.
2. Jensen, Bjugstad, Connauton, and Lack all shine and make the team.
3. AV and MG are OK with running 3 scoring lines and using the 4th line as the shutdown line.

Why my lineup:
1. 2 Energy lines. Doan, Booth and Kesler are all relatively strong guys and are able to make hits and battle. Last playoff we saw Doan and Booth both play really well, and we know Kesler has a whole other level.
Something the team really needs is new energy. It seems with the Boston, Chicago, and LA beatdowns, this team is down on it's lucky and needs some rookies to come in and really push the veteran guys to be their best and rekindle that fire.

2. Young Guns Line. All three of Kassian, Bjugstad and Jensen are able to put up points or at least have the potential to. Two big guys with Kassian and Bjugstad and having the great puckhandling Jensen on wing could be a sick combination.

3. Big Players. Doan, Bjugstad, and Kassian should be enough to fill the powerforward need. I don't think AV should tinker with the 4th or shutdown lines. So by adding these three players, the question of size has been answered.

4. Defense. I'm a huge fan of Connauton. Hearing him and Corrado are ready to make some noise is awesome. Connauton is obviously more developed and is a strong offensive guy. Which could be an absolute dynamo pairing with the defensive rock Tanev. On the Tanev-Ballard pairing I'm more scared of Ballard making a mistake then Tanev. With Connauton having some nice puck carrying skills, this could be a sick 3rd pairing and bring some new energy to the d corps.

The biggest needs I think this team needs is secondary scoring, size, and youth. The 1st and Shutdown forward lines in my opinion are good to go. By adding the above players, all three questions would be answered, and I do not think that team would even be near the cap.

Graci for reading if you did.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
FORWARDS
Zack Kassian / Jordan Schroeder / Jannik Hansen
Maxim Lapierre / Manny Malhotra / Mason Raymond
Dale Weise / Andrew Ebbett

DEFENSEMEN
Andrew Alberts

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo
Cory Schneider

This is what I'd like when 100% healthy. A lot depends on Doan signing, Luongo trade...etc

Yeah, too many moving pieces to comment for sure at this point, but that's a reasoned line-up. Here are some changes I hope to see:

(With no new signings or trades)

FORWARDS
Mason Raymond / Jordan Schroeder / Zack Kassian
Manny Malhotra / Maxim Lapierre / Jannik Hansen
Dale Weise / Bill Sweatt

DEFENSEMEN
Andrew Alberts

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo
Cory Schneider

- Sedins+Burr stay intact, as does AMEX. I thought it was a mistake when AV moved away from that line, even though I know it was about matchups and Higgins being better against the left wall. He should have tried to foster that chemistry further.

- Sweatt gets the call over Ebbett. It's time to reward this older AHL player. He's paid his dues, is 24, and needs to start learning the NHL game.

- Schroeder gets his chance to sink or swim on the 3rd line. Let's see what he does.

- Only 7 Dmen because the top6 is strong. They can easily call up Conauten as needed... Kinda hope they replace Alberts though.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
aandbreatheme

^
How about switching Hansen and Raymond? I just hate seeing him on the fourth line.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post

4. Defense. I'm a huge fan of Connauton. Hearing him and Corrado are ready to make some noise is awesome. Connauton is obviously more developed and is a strong offensive guy. Which could be an absolute dynamo pairing with the defensive rock Tanev. On the Tanev-Ballard pairing I'm more scared of Ballard making a mistake then Tanev. With Connauton having some nice puck carrying skills, this could be a sick 3rd pairing and bring some new energy to the d corps.
If you're that worried about Ballard on that pairing...i'm not entirely sure how you've reached the conclusion Connauton isn't going to be even worse mistake-wise. Also not at all sold on the idea that Connauton is a better 'puck carrier' than Ballard.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

We need some assets from the Luongo trade to ice a strong roster from top to bottom...

To Chi- Luongo, Ballard
To Van- Bolland, Leddy

To SJ- Hansen
To Van- Clowe

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Clowe
Raymond Bolland Higgins
Malhotra Lapierre Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Edler Leddy

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
^
How about switching Hansen and Raymond? I just hate seeing him on the fourth line.

Mix the bottom 6 as needed. You could move Raymond down, or Kassian. I just don't want the top6 messed with. AMEX needs to stay together IMO...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Red Haired Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
We need some assets from the Luongo trade to ice a strong roster from top to bottom...

To Chi- Luongo, Ballard
To Van- Bolland, Leddy

To SJ- Hansen
To Van- Clowe

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Clowe
Raymond Bolland Higgins
Malhotra Lapierre Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Edler Leddy
bolland will not be coming to van. if he does you can expect him to be traded fairly quickly because of the fans uproar and locker room disputes. plus those trades arent that good. sj wouldnt give up clowe for hansen. that lineup you have is bad too edler on the 3rd pairing? really?

Old
08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Haired Shanks View Post
bolland will not be coming to van. if he does you can expect him to be traded fairly quickly because of the fans uproar and locker room disputes. plus those trades arent that good. sj wouldnt give up clowe for hansen. that lineup you have is bad too edler on the 3rd pairing? really?
Bolland would fit in seemlesly in Vancouver. If a nobody like Mike Duco can some in with no issues after tashing the Sedins, Luongo and the team there's no reason a vastly superior Bolland wouldn't do the same.

Few Canuck fans would deal Hansen for Clowe. Doesn't seem to be any consensus as to who is more valuable between the two.

Last year Tanev wasn't on the ice for a single even strength goal against in 15 games playing alongside Dan Hamhuis. He's ready to take on 2nd pairing competition IMO, it puts Garrison on his strong side and gives the pairing a passer and shooter - something that is very important and what is stopping the Tanev/Ballard pairing from contributing offense.

It leaves Edler to play offensive situations with another dangerous offensive defenseman - a role he thrived in before the departure of Ehrhoff.

The defense also sheds $3mil in salary. An important factor for a team looking to improve it's forward corps.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Red Haired Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Bolland would fit in seemlesly in Vancouver. If a nobody like Mike Duco can some in with no issues after tashing the Sedins, Luongo and the team there's no reason a vastly superior Bolland wouldn't do the same.

Few Canuck fans would deal Hansen for Clowe. Doesn't seem to be any consensus as to who is more valuable between the two.

Last year Tanev wasn't on the ice for a single even strength goal against in 15 games playing alongside Dan Hamhuis. He's ready to take on 2nd pairing competition IMO, it puts Garrison on his strong side and gives the pairing a passer and shooter - something that is very important and what is stopping the Tanev/Ballard pairing from contributing offense.

It leaves Edler to play offensive situations with another dangerous offensive defenseman - a role he thrived in before the departure of Ehrhoff.

The defense also sheds $3mil in salary. An important factor for a team looking to improve it's forward corps.

given the history with bolland and how heated that rivalry is he would be rejected. comparing duco a nobody who the canucks dont care about enough to resign him or keep him with the club permanently to bolland one of the most hated people in vancouver is dumb. he would be rejected im 100% sure about this