HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Lehner showing signs of maturity.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

vCash: 500
Lehner showing signs of maturity.

I like Robin's attitude; he's confident yet showing an increasing understanding of what he means to the team and how to best achieve his potential, and of the reality of asset management in the NHL.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639858

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
I like Robin's attitude; he's confident yet showing an increasing understanding of what he means to the team and how to best achieve his potential, and of the reality of asset management in the NHL.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639858
This is fantastic news should make for a very competitive camp, he knows his time will come I hope he makes the sens make some decisions they didnt expect to have to.

I found this part very encouraging

"I know I've got a long way to go and some technical things I need to work on, and I have to get more stable and be a little bit more calm in the net."

He tends to flop around and scramble, the more disciplined he plays and stays in his net the better. He is very athletic and raw if he can improve the technical side of his game he is going to be a hell of a goalkeeper.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Lehner going to be the best goalie in the history of the franchise. He's a big game player, he'll be lights out this year in the AHL and may by December be the best goalie in the franchise.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:34 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Lehner going to be the best goalie in the history of the franchise. He's a big game player, he'll be lights out this year in the AHL and may by December be the best goalie in the franchise.
Lofty goals...

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Matt The Ace
LWOS Analyst

Send a message via Skype™ to Matt The Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Lofty goals...

No, I don't think so.

On a overall basis with just the Senators Lehner will have outdone Hasek in a couple of seasons.

Matt The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Man I absolutely love Dominik Hasek; best goalie in the history of the game, imo. But he was only with us for half a season, not including the playoffs so what that guy meant to say was he(Lehner) will have the biggest impact on our team than any goalie in franchise history.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Matt The Ace
LWOS Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Man I absolutely love Dominik Hasek, best goalie in the history of the game, imo. But he was only with us for half a season, not including the playoffs so what that guy meant to say was he will have the biggest impact on our team than any goalie in franchise history.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSenator View Post
No, I don't think so.

On a overall basis with just the Senators Lehner will have outdone Hasek in a couple of seasons.
The same Hasek that won 65% of his starts (28 wins), had 5 shutouts in 43 games, a .925 sv% and 2.09 GAA? Carry those kinda numbers over a career, and your in the running for the HOF.

He got a lot of flak for not playing in the playoffs, but the guy was lights out for us when he did play.

I think if you ignore Hasek (do to his short tenure) Lehner has a shot, but he could just as easily have the impact of Prusek. Goalies are really hard to predict.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I think Silf showed maturity too in going back to Sweden

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Man I hope Lehner finds his groove this season, he needs it..and I know the fans here are 100% behind him..

I expect a full, stellar season and anything less will be a major set back in his career..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Matt The Ace
LWOS Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
The same Hasek that won 65% of his starts (28 wins), had 5 shutouts in 43 games, a .925 sv% and 2.09 GAA? Carry those kinda numbers over a career, and your in the running for the HOF.

He got a lot of flak for not playing in the playoffs, but the guy was lights out for us when he did play.

I think if you ignore Hasek (do to his short tenure) Lehner has a shot, but he could just as easily have the impact of Prusek. Goalies are really hard to predict.
Hasek's half season was great for what it was but that's not enough to say the best goalie in the history of the franchise.

If Lehner lives up to the potential that everyone has him at, he will be that goaltender.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Hasek's half season was great for what it was but that's not enough to say the best goalie in the history of the franchise.

If Lehner lives up to the potential that everyone has him at, he will be that goaltender.
The way I saw the statement was that he would be the best goalie to ever play in Ottawa. Regardless of the short stay he had in Ottawa, Hasek could be argued to be one of the absolute best goalies to ever step on the ice. If Lehner can become a quarter of what Hasek was, then I'll be ECSTATIC!

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
The way I saw the statement was that he would be the best goalie to ever play in Ottawa. Regardless of the short stay he had in Ottawa, Hasek could be argued to be one of the absolute best goalies to ever step on the ice. If Lehner can become a quarter of what Hasek was, then I'll be ECSTATIC!
You hold Hasek in very high esteem, considering one quarter of him is approximately a leg. Or an arm I suppose, but I think a leg would be more useful in today's NHL.

Saabman0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:56 PM
jbeck5

Quote:

If we're talking about BEST then lehner's up against hasek and will ultimately lose.

If we're talking about most impact, then he's up against lalime and time will tell if he'll win.

I highly doubt we'll ever have a goalie as good as hasek was when he was here.

A record of 28-10-4 is nuts. He was 2nd in SV% and 2nd in GAA in the entire NHL.

I don't know if i see lehner being a top 5 in every stat across the board type goalie, like hasek was for us.

Once again, it all depends on if you're arguing BEST or MOST IMPACT...

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:02 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I love and miss Hasek.

I remember vividly going to a game he started that year, against Phoenix I believe. Anyways, we were up something like 4 or 5-0 and like 10 mins away from a shutout. This Yote player comes streaking down the wing undefended when Hasek decides to lie down and stack the pads way before the guy even thought about shooting. The Yote player's eyes lit up, he took a couple more strides towards Hasek and easily lifted it over the pad stack to break the shutout bid.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen live at a game.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:

Hasek also bailed on the team come playoff time...eff him. He screwed us many times as a Sabre, goalie for Czech Rep, and finally as a Sen.

No player in the history of the game has made me more angry than Hasek, with that said i was so pumped when Muckler signed him.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:39 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

This is great to hear, can't wait for him to get here full-time and be our #1 goalie.

08-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Hasek also bailed on the team come playoff time...eff him. He screwed us many times as a Sabre, goalie for Czech Rep, and finally as a Sen.

No player in the history of the game has made me more angry than Hasek, with that said i was so pumped when Muckler signed him.

for me it is Chris Pronger, everytime i see/hear about the guy i feel rage!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Lundmark17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
I love and miss Hasek.

I remember vividly going to a game he started that year, against Phoenix I believe. Anyways, we were up something like 4 or 5-0 and like 10 mins away from a shutout. This Yote player comes streaking down the wing undefended when Hasek decides to lie down and stack the pads way before the guy even thought about shooting. The Yote player's eyes lit up, he took a couple more strides towards Hasek and easily lifted it over the pad stack to break the shutout bid.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen live at a game.
I think I was at that game and that Yote's player was Jamie Lundmark. Could be wrong though.

Lundmark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Based on the love affair some people here have with Lehner, I think Craig Anderson will be considered one of the most underrated, or over-looked, Sens of all time.

I mean, he plays lights out for us when we traded for him in 2011, then the following season, behind a run-and-gun team, helps us get into the playoffs. Then in the playoffs, goes save-for-save against Lundqvist, the Vezina-winner.

And yet, there are people here that want him gone by December...just so we can see if Lehner can be a #1.

Makes sense...

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Based on the love affair some people here have with Lehner, I think Craig Anderson will be considered one of the most underrated, or over-looked, Sens of all time.

I mean, he plays lights out for us when we traded for him in 2011, then the following season, behind a run-and-gun team, helps us get into the playoffs. Then in the playoffs, goes save-for-save against Lundqvist, the Vezina-winner.

And yet, there are people here that want him gone by December...just so we can see if Lehner can be a #1.

Makes sense...
This. I like Lehner but I was PUMPED when I heard we got Anderson and he's been everything I expected since we got him.

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
darglor

Anderson is severely underrated around these parts... He went something like 18th overall in the "best goalies" thread. Considering what he did for Colorado's playoffs, the Sens' regular season and the Sens' playoffs, he's been way better than that. 18th is barely average for a starter...

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:41 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Im expecting a big season from Anderson next year. He is coming off a dominant playoffs and our defense is better defensively than it was last year. All the momentum is behind him right now.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
Anderson is severely underrated around these parts... He went something like 18th overall in the "best goalies" thread. Considering what he did for Colorado's playoffs, the Sens' regular season and the Sens' playoffs, he's been way better than that. 18th is barely average for a starter...
The thing about Anderson is that people have a built-in perception of the guy, that because he was a journeyman back-up that his one good season and great playoffs with Colorado was a mirage. When he played lights out with Ottawa after he was traded here, it was: "Too small a sample size."

Then he had a rough start to the year and the same people were all: "Told you he's an average goalie at best!". When he turned it around November and was one of the best goalies in the league, people chose to ignore that altogether.

The only people who give him any credit are Sharks and Rangers fans, because they've seen him play over a long playoff stretch.

JMO, but I can see Anderson playing here after his current contract ends, especially if he continues his play thru it. I would have no qualms with having a Thomas/Rask situation* where the youngun bides his time on the bench.

*minus the whole: "become a crazy right-wing tea-partier who can't go a week without saying something stupid."

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:07 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Im expecting a big season from Anderson next year. He is coming off a dominant playoffs and our defense is better defensively than it was last year. All the momentum is behind him right now.
Not sure if our defense will be better next season. Methot is still a question mark.

Gonchar is a year older, same with Phillips.

Will Karlsson play up to expectations?

Will Cowen continue to progress upwards?

Quality of defense looks static to me

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote