HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MSG net income more than triples in fourth quarter

Old
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
MSG net income more than triples in fourth quarter

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...pwcrpsRzr9wIXL

Nice to see for MSG that the money they invested in renovations are being returned.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Weird. Normally at this point in CBA negotiations, teams start announcing they lost a jillion dollars.

In 2004, I think it was announced the Rangers lost $20 million.

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:50 AM
MessierIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...pwcrpsRzr9wIXL

Nice to see for MSG that the money they invested in renovations are being returned.
Why is it nice to see? If you own the stock then it's great. If you are a customer, you paid for the renovations through higher ticket prices that benefited the shareholders.

And if you don't like Dolan, this news is awful as he will even be more reluctant to sell.

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Kinda advocates for higher revenue sharing.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
Why is it nice to see? If you own the stock then it's great. If you are a customer, you paid for the renovations through higher ticket prices that benefited the shareholders.

And if you don't like Dolan, this news is awful as he will even be more reluctant to sell.
Dolan's never going to sell I don't even know why people pretend that it might be a thing that happens anytime soon

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Dolan's never going to sell I don't even know why people pretend that it might be a thing that happens anytime soon
Not to mention - for all his faults - he let's Sather spend money. How many teams stash a contract like Redden's in the minors and STILL spend to the cap...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:

I like the concept of an ownership group pouring their own money into the renovations and/or cost of a venue as opposed to getting tax dollars.

I think it's good to see that ownership is able to make these kinds of profits. One of the speculations when Dolan moved everything to MSG Inc was that the money would stop if the teams were showing losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Not to mention - for all his faults - he let's Sather spend money. How many teams stash a contract like Redden's in the minors and STILL spend to the cap...
Yeah not sure why people have a problem with Dolan as an NHL owner. He gives his teams all of the resources they need to compete and is completely hands off in hockey operations. That is a good thing......right?

Would you rather be a budget team? Have a cheap owner bleed the franchise like on the Island?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Baby Punisher

People ***** & moan about Dolan for no reason other than that he isn't media friendly. He let's his team GM's do what they have to do. Bottom line for Dolan is the bottom line, 2nd is winning. Which is fine by me because he keeps spending the money even if some of that spending is mis-guided.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
People ***** & moan about Dolan for no reason other than that he isn't media friendly. He let's his team GM's do what they have to do. Bottom line for Dolan is the bottom line, 2nd is winning. Which is fine by me because he keeps spending the money even if some of that spending is mis-guided.
+1000. Dolan lets Sather do what he has to do and he has the money to allow it. It's better than having an owner that refuses to do anything.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Weird. Normally at this point in CBA negotiations, teams start announcing they lost a jillion dollars.

In 2004, I think it was announced the Rangers lost $20 million.
Big difference now from 2004--the Garden is part of a public entity that must keep its shareholders happy. And no matter what you think about SEC rules, it's hard for a publically traded company to lie about revenue and income.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Giacomin

Quote:

I think Dolan is a good owner. A while back his name came up as being interested in buying the Mets and as a fan I was excited . I like an owner that takes a hands off approach as Dolan seems to do with the Rangers while still spending what is necessary to field a winning team. As far as higher ticket prices go I cannot remember any team moving into a new facility or in this case renovated and not paying higher prices and remember in the past 10 years Dolan decreased ticket prices 10% on year and froze them another which is unheard of in NYC.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:44 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
As far as higher ticket prices go I cannot remember any team moving into a new facility or in this case renovated and not paying higher prices and remember in the past 10 years Dolan decreased ticket prices 10% on year and froze them another which is unheard of in NYC.
ok, but doubling ticket prices in 7 seasons with 4 playoff series wins isn't justified, sorry.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
ok, but doubling ticket prices in 7 seasons with 4 playoff series wins isn't justified, sorry.
ticket prices aren't based on supply and demand. saw the other day that, despite the looming lockout, the renewal rate on season tickets is 90%. when fans stop buying tickets thats when he'll have raised them too high

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Cresto
Much .500

good on Dolan I suppose. It's better for our team to be richer than poorer I guess. For the game goers and money payers, ticket prices are never going to be fair and I'm fine with that. It's a business.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Revenue sharing blows. Contraction is a much better idea.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
ticket prices aren't based on supply and demand. saw the other day that, despite the looming lockout, the renewal rate on season tickets is 90%. when fans stop buying tickets thats when he'll have raised them too high
Considering that 45% of those renewals are deep pocket corporations that have no issue with ticket prices raises every year we regular fans won't see the prices go down any time soon.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Huh? Your post just contradicted itself.

Its the very essence of supply and demand.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Tickets are of course based on supply on demand. That's why you can go to a Jacksonville Jaguars game for 30 bucks and it costs you almost 5 times that to go to a Giants game. If, when the Rangers were terrible for 7 years, no fans went to any games then the ticket prices would have gone down. But because there was continuously 18,200 tickets sold every night why would Dolan lower the prices?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Tickets are of course based on supply on demand. That's why you can go to a Jacksonville Jaguars game for 30 bucks and it costs you almost 5 times that to go to a Giants game. If, when the Rangers were terrible for 7 years, no fans went to any games then the ticket prices would have gone down. But because there was continuously 18,200 tickets sold every night why would Dolan lower the prices?
I don't remember exactly, but I think there were only two ticket increases from the time I became a season ticket holder in the fall of 1998 until after the lockout--plus, Dolan had guaranteed the team would make the playoffs in the spring of 2004 or he would reduce ticket prices by 10%: which indeed happened in the fall of 2005 (making center 300 seats $36). Tickets were almost impossible to give away before the lockout and the Garden was no longer selling out on a regular basis--it's only after the 2005-6 season that prices started going up again.

So, 7+ years of not making the playoffs did have an effect on attendence and the result was ticket prices not going up for the vast majority of those years. If (and when) the team goes through another period of not making the playoffs, I'm sure attendence will suffer once again and make it very difficult to raise prices.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Here's some more light reading from the advertising trades on business at The Garden...

Quote:
Big post-season tickets sales efforts for the New York Knicks and New York Rangers -- as well as higher advertising and affiliate revenue -- helped Madison Square Garden Co. gain strong fiscal fourth-quarter results. And it helped shoot up its stock by over 6% during midday Friday trading.

Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publication...#ixzz24l4eebcZ
http://www.mediapost.com/publication...?edition=50452

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote