Vancouver ''Canucks'' 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

vCash: 500
Anaheim Ducks rival #1

I had this thought for a while now. No other hockey news (not much) at this time of year, and also with potential lockout coming, this could turn out in a very good discussion. A lot thinks that the Kings are our biggest rivals, there is also a lot who thinks that Sharks are... that Wings are... etc. I want to find out ''HF rankings'' of our rivals. System is similar like with prospects.

This will maybe attract other teams fans to (i hope not their trade proposals ).

PS
I found this list interesting: teams that the Ducks have most fights against:

PPS
Just for fun: Ducks and Sharks are in this commercial:

Is that Marleau in that Sharks jersey?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I`ll start with, say, 10 teams (all the most important ''contenders'').

Discuss and say who to add.
(i`ll plan to leave this open for at least 24 h, if not more, for every time)

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I`ll go with Kings here.

Geographically, they`re close enough, and now that they have won the cup, we are not the only ones in Cali anymore.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:11 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Sharks. Still bad blood from that playoff series. Maybe when the Ducks and Kings meet in the playoffs do they overtake the Sharks.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Wayfarer

Since I do not live in SoCal I don't feel that strongly about the Kings. The rivalry with San Jose is different though, the memories from 2009 playoffs are still fresh in my mind. Same can be said about the Red Wings, which is for me the best rivalry the Ducks have. One reason for that could be that we lose almost every time...

Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:14 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Yeah I mean the top 3 is Sharks, Kings, and Wings pretty easily IMO in any order. Maybe the Stars too.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

The two things i can thought about Sharks is that we are about the same age (almost) and about that playoff series.

BUT that series was some time ago (last series we`ve won - so i don`t think that Red Wings are in the mix as much also). Well, we won last regular season series 5-1, though.

I still think that the Kings are the biggest ones. The rival is there no matter how good one of the team is.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
1. Sharks
2. Red Wings
3. Kings

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
DarthYenik

Sharks. I still feel that they are the top team in the division. The Kings got hot, and had a nice playoff run, but I don't think they can take the Sharks for the division. And I've never felt as strong a hate (hate in the least sense of the word) for the Kings as I do for the Sharks. In the past there have been many intense battles between the Sharks and Ducks. They were playing playoff games against each other way before they even played a playoff game against each other, if you know what I mean.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Paul4587

Surprised to see we have had so many fights against Calgary. Then again, we were involved in that that brawl against them in 01-02 where there must have been 10 + so fighting majors handed out per team. That game was entertaining as hell.

I don't think it's LA. They've been completely irrelevant outside of their cinderalla stanley cup win. It's Detroit by far for me.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Sharks Kings n Wings

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I'd pick Detroit, based on the playoffs alone. On top of that there seems to be a genuine dislike between them. After that, it's San Jose. The Kings just aren't an actual rival to me. It's forced. The fans seem to dislike each other, but that's it. They've never met in the playoffs. Neither team has really been successful at the same time. I don't think they'll develop a real rivalry until one, or both, of those happens.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Fighter
Legend

Kings by default, but Red Wings rivalry was pretty good when we were legit contenders. Then I'd say Sharks and Stars (more of a thing of a past for the latter).

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

1a. Kings
1b. Sharks

3. Red Wings

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Corey Perry*

The true rivals are those people with the Jesus signs that annoy the paying customers... lol

The only team I felt we had a true rivalry with was/is Detroit, and maybe San Jose. The only reason I hate the Kings is because of their douchey fans and gameday/video crew.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunky View Post
The true rivals are those people with the Jesus signs that annoy the paying customers... lol.
This.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Exit Dose

Red Wings for the reasons already stated. It is obvious that this hate extends to the locker room.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I went with the Sharks because the two teams have played a lot of intense games both playoff and regular season. There is definitely some playoff intensity with the Wings (and great playoff history with them too) but I don't seem to see it as much in the regular season.

The Kings are just not a rivalry. As previously stated neither the Kings nor Ducks have been good in the same season and they have never met in the playoffs. Hard to make a rivalry out of that. Just hating their fans (many of whom are very deserving) does not make for an on ice rivalry.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Sirquacksalot
Magic

I'd say Sharks. This might be my bias speaking, but I've always seen the ANA-LAK rivalry as forced by the fans, based solely on proximity. Neither team has been competitive at the same time as the other (except for 2010-11) and there have been no playoff series between the two. I see the SoCal media hype it up, then not much passion on the ice. The fights between the two teams have mostly been because the both usually tend to ice enforcers. San Jose has been a contender at the same time as the Ducks, and there has been a playoff series between the two franchises, Most Sharks fans hate Selanne (from my experience here they usually accuse him of driving around like a 'vaginal cleansing bag' and spending money everywhere, rather than trying to play hockey, all while conveniently ignoring his multiple knee injuries), one of the most likeable players in the NHL, and want our team to finish last in the NHL every year.

I severely dislike the Kings. I wish them no success at all, and I want their team to flounder in mediocrity, being neither good enough to make the playoffs nor bad enough for a good draft pick, but none of this compares to my hatred of the Sharks. I hat eht eWings as well, they are undoubtedly yht Ducks' #1 playoff rival, but the Sharks impact the season-season standings far more often, so I gave them the edge. Also I live in San Jose, and OMGWTFBBQBIAS.

Last edited by Sirquacksalot: 08-22-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:36 AM
jeffl97

Sharks or Wings. Ducks have never played Kings in the playoffs which is where rivalries are born..

jeffl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:07 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
I pretty much hate all three Wings, Sharks and Kings but I have to go with the Wings because of the playoff -games.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Some good arguments here, but i disagree with the one that states that Kings are bad, and they got lucky.

Kopitar, Brown, Richards - leagues top 2 way forwards. Carter was leader in Philly couple of years ago. They have pretty good depth.

Good defense and goaltending, which allows them to play great at man advantage/disadvantage. Bad regular season made us thought they are not that strong, but just look at that roster and the players they have. And they will be strong for a lot of years now. I wouldn`t call that Cindarella story.

But i agree that the fact that we haven`t met in the playoffs (only been there both ONCE) plays huge role.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:56 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Kings, geography, want to be best team in So Cal etc, and personally my favourite games are ones v Kings, closely followed by San Jose. I hate both of them, but Kings being geographically closer tips it for me.

Then again I hate all teams who are close to a sports team I support, Mainz, Mannheim, Everton etc

Mainly as Wings mostly kick our ass , though the game v Red Wings where Bobby scored the overtime penalty shot [or was it shootout?] goal in 10-11 was my favourite game in quite some time

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
I hate the Wings most. They've been good for the entire history of out team. Ponda Center games against the Wings brings some of the most annoying bandwagon fans to the building. Getting swept by them a couple times in the playoffs. It feels like play ratchets up the most against the Wings too.

I agree that Kings rivalry is a little bit forced and based more on off-the-ice things than on-the-ice play. Freezeway Faceoff? But they're still 2nd place.

I actually don't dislike the Sharks at all. I kind of liked them before the Ducks existed, I had a soft spot for them as expansion brothers (same with Fla and Ott). I had a good time in games at the SJ arena back in the day. I guess maybe the fans were less obnoxious back then because they weren't as good?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Problem with the Kings being the #1 rival is that so many SoCal Ducks fans started out rooting for the Kings back in the day, before the Ducks ever existed. I know for me personally, the Kings winning didn't really bug me at all because of that, if anything there was a part of me that was rather happy.

OTOH, if the Sharks won the Cup I think I'd be pretty annoyed.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Some good arguments here, but i disagree with the one that states that Kings are bad, and they got lucky.

Kopitar, Brown, Richards - leagues top 2 way forwards. Carter was leader in Philly couple of years ago. They have pretty good depth.

Good defense and goaltending, which allows them to play great at man advantage/disadvantage. Bad regular season made us thought they are not that strong, but just look at that roster and the players they have. And they will be strong for a lot of years now. I wouldn`t call that Cindarella story.

But i agree that the fact that we haven`t met in the playoffs (only been there both ONCE) plays huge role.
I said they were irrelevant apart from their cinderella cup win. They were good last year, they underachieved in the regular season but also massively overachieved in the playoffs which unfortunately is all that matters at the end of the day.

And they got extremely lucky, not having to face Sedin in the first series, playing St Louis with an injured Pietrangelo and Halak, then going on to face by far the weakest conference and Stanley Cup finalists in recent memory. And the only player who missed significant time during their run was Gagne.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote