HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Good Movies Ruined by Dumb Endings/Plot Twists?

Old
08-16-2012, 02:58 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Bourne Legacy.
You do know that there is going to be a sequel right?

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Exorcist 3. Good horror flick until the end...

The Village also because you could see it coming (because it's M. Night) and the suit in the shack pretty much made it obvious.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Agree with Sunshine, went from awesome to ridiculous.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
This is the first thing that came to my mind...M Night Shamalamadingdong reaching HARD for a twist ending after Sixth Sense blew everyones mind.
Such a promising director gone down the drain because he bought into his own hype. Starting trying to make every movie the same way and trying way too hard to become the next Alfred Hitchcock. What he failed to realize is that while Hitchcock movies often had a twist, they were actually good suspense movies up until the ending as well. You can't just stick a shocker ending - and poor ones at that - onto a bad movie and expect people to like it.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:22 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Dodgeball. Would have preferred they put the alternate ending from the DVD. Would have been epic

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:26 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
Dodgeball. Would have preferred they put the alternate ending from the DVD. Would have been epic
Care to share it in spoiler tags?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:52 PM
ProstheticConscience
Blodsvept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I am Legend. **** that ending!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
There was an alternate ending where he lived.
Read the novella by Richard Matheson. Infinitely better, and that piece of **** Will Smith movie completely missed the whole bloody point of the book. I'm aware that the alternate (actually close to the book) ending was cut by the studio at the last minute, but for the uninitiated, here's my big gripe:
Spoil:
In the book, Neville was the last human survivor of a vampire plague. Every night they'd bang away at his door, and every day he'd go around the deserted city finding them sleeping (the disease caused them to go into a coma during daylight hours) and stake them or drag them out into the sun, and just generally killing as many as he could find. He wasn't a scientist although he did teach himself some science-y skills to research the illness, but it was largely out of boredom more than anything else. He figures all along the vampires are just subhuman killing machines and doesn't consider them sentient but in the end, it turns out they are. After they capture him and he's condemned to be executed, he looks out of his cell to the mob waiting to watch him die and realizes that for centuries the vampire was the legend to humans, but now it's the other way round. The vampires are the new breed of humanity, and he's the monster of their nightmares, having killed hundreds or thousands of their kind. "I am their monster. I will live forever in tales to terrify their children. I am Legend." Or something like that was the last line in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Artificial Intelligence: It was like watching Spielberg take a dull razor and slash a beautiful painting. Not just awful, unforgivable.
Speilberg always maintains that the parts people think are his were actually Kubrick's ideas and vice versa. I don't believe him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Such a promising director gone down the drain because he bought into his own hype. Starting trying to make every movie the same way and trying way too hard to become the next Alfred Hitchcock. What he failed to realize is that while Hitchcock movies often had a twist, they were actually good suspense movies up until the ending as well. You can't just stick a shocker ending - and poor ones at that - onto a bad movie and expect people to like it.
The Village and other Shyamalan movies are really the Golden Standard for otherwise good movies ruined by the endings.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Hide and seek

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:53 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Deep Throat.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Norm MacDonald

Orphan: Decent enough horror flick until the "twist" is revealed, then everything falls apart in the worst way.

Red State: Even though it was super derivative, I still enjoyed it. Nevertheless, I felt gypped by the ending.

Phantasm: I wasn't alive in '79, but I'm sure lots of people felt ****ed with back then too.

Suspiria: Not that it was ruined, but I felt that the ending was anticlimactic and unsatisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
For me, the discussion starts and ends with:

The Mist.
For me, that was a mediocre movie with a horrific, tonally inconsistent ending.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Angel de Lys
Mrs. CrimsonSkorpion

Chronicle.

I feel like I was really invested in the main character and his story, his progression...and then at the end, no payoff whatsoever. That annoyed me.

Angel de Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Thricecube

Quote:
The Village and other Shyamalan movies are really the Golden Standard for otherwise good movies ruined by the endings.
I, for one, enjoyed the ending in The Village.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Eh...

Sixth Sense was good in all respects.

Unbreakable was mediocre. That movie meandered about with no real substance until the ending, which felt cheap and tacked on.

Signs was OK. It suffers from poor acting, a ridiculous plot, and a crappy ending.

The Village was bad. This movie was clunky, with an incoherent narrative. The ending was completely stupid, and actually makes the entire movie worse.

I don't know if you would count The Happening or Lady in the Water as "twist" movies, but it doesn't really matter, because they're probably the worst movies that he's directed.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Care to share it in spoiler tags?

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:55 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Read the novella by Richard Matheson. Infinitely better, and that piece of **** Will Smith movie completely missed the whole bloody point of the book. I'm aware that the alternate (actually close to the book) ending was cut by the studio at the last minute, but for the uninitiated, here's my big gripe:
Spoil:
In the book, Neville was the last human survivor of a vampire plague. Every night they'd bang away at his door, and every day he'd go around the deserted city finding them sleeping (the disease caused them to go into a coma during daylight hours) and stake them or drag them out into the sun, and just generally killing as many as he could find. He wasn't a scientist although he did teach himself some science-y skills to research the illness, but it was largely out of boredom more than anything else. He figures all along the vampires are just subhuman killing machines and doesn't consider them sentient but in the end, it turns out they are. After they capture him and he's condemned to be executed, he looks out of his cell to the mob waiting to watch him die and realizes that for centuries the vampire was the legend to humans, but now it's the other way round. The vampires are the new breed of humanity, and he's the monster of their nightmares, having killed hundreds or thousands of their kind. "I am their monster. I will live forever in tales to terrify their children. I am Legend." Or something like that was the last line in the book.

Speilberg always maintains that the parts people think are his were actually Kubrick's ideas and vice versa. I don't believe him.

Wow, that version of I am legend sounds epic.

I liked the movie because I like will smith and I liked the dog, but the snippet posted above is freakin brilliant. I'm going to seek it out and read it, thanks for posting it!

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:28 AM
invictus

The Forgotten...................the "twist" was just like "WTF"

Old
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Sleepaway Camp - The ending was just WTF for sure.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I didn't mind The Village or its ending, although you could see it a mile away. I wish they would have hinted at the "creatures" actually existing though.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Ceremony
Unravelled

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
The Village.
Oh how did I forget this? Horrible ending.

I watched the original The Day The Earth Stood Still today and the whole thing felt like it could have been made three minutes long with just Klatu's speech at the end. Everything else felt pointless.

And there's a Nicolas Cage film whose name I can't remember about numbers and the end of the world whose ending was just a complete cop-out.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Oh how did I forget this? Horrible ending.

I watched the original The Day The Earth Stood Still today and the whole thing felt like it could have been made three minutes long with just Klatu's speech at the end. Everything else felt pointless.

And there's a Nicolas Cage film whose name I can't remember about numbers and the end of the world whose ending was just a complete cop-out.
I think that was "Next" but I am not sure. Whatever the name was, I recall thinking it had solid potential halfway through.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Exorcist 3. Good horror flick until the end....
That is example of when a studio's meddling hurts a film

The Director was forced to do that ending. The original ending would have fit film much better

Director was forced to go with Exorcist theme and name for film as well

The Director spent years trying to recover his original footage for opening/ending that he shot before he had to do reshoots but the studio claims to have lost all footage and if it is found would likely be very degraded

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Law Abiding Citizen

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Eh...

Sixth Sense was good in all respects.

Unbreakable was mediocre. That movie meandered about with no real substance until the ending, which felt cheap and tacked on.

Signs was OK. It suffers from poor acting, a ridiculous plot, and a crappy ending.

The Village was bad. This movie was clunky, with an incoherent narrative. The ending was completely stupid, and actually makes the entire movie worse.

I don't know if you would count The Happening or Lady in the Water as "twist" movies, but it doesn't really matter, because they're probably the worst movies that he's directed.
The Last Airbender.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Diskothek

Of movies I've seen recently: 13 Assassins and I Saw The Devil.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Spoil:

That sounds awesome, I'm definitely going to check out the book now.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote