HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Burke thread- a happy one for once!

Old
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Kbs

vCash: 500
Firing Wilson and replacing him with Carlyle which is exactly what I wanted.

The Phaneuf trade. Came out of left field and it's a trade that I remember where I was and what I was doing because I couldn't believe it

Kbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Christ

Toss up between the Phaneuf deal and the deal that landed Lupul and Gardiner. Both were great moves by the Leafs.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 4064
Unlike JFJ, I have a hard time thinking of trades Burke lost outright (other then the Kessel trade which as of now has yet to be decided, although Hamilton looks special)

Beauchemin for Lupul + Gardiner (underachieving/turn-over machine Dman for a 1st line LW and potential 1st pairing, Niedemeyer-light PMD? Sweet!)

Lebda and Slaney for Franson and Lombardi (Need I say anything? Brett-freakin-Lebda)

White, Mayers, Stajan, and Hagman for Phaneuf, Aulie, Sjostrom (Wasn't a huge fan of White, I actually kind of liked Hagman... but still a landslide win for the Leafs, this trade has also shaped up to be: An overpaid Stajan for Phaneuf and Ashton)

Kessel trade (Sue me, I'm a big Kessel fan... and after our record the previous season, after adding Kessel we should've won that deal in a landslide - If not for Toskala) BTW, Boston probably wins this... but I think without Kessel our offense would've been putrid.

Versteeg for Leivo and Percy (I really like Percy, kid seems to have a high hockey IQ that will help him out a lot)

The first 3 trades, nobody will argue (or nobody should)... the Leafs won huge (or at least improved from them a lot)

The next two are a bit more controversial (especially the Kessel trade), but I personally like them or at least can deal with them... at least as of now.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Antropovsky

Vanriemsdyk for Schenn
Gardiner + Lupul for Beauchemin
Kaberle for Colborne + 1st + 2nd
Stalberg + Paradise + Didomenico for Versteeg
Stajan + Mayers + Hagman + White for Phaneuf + Sjostrom
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So happy to see all those 2nd rate players, who've plagued us since the Fergy Jr years, traded away. The players he's acquired in return are all far more effective in their particular roles. Versteeg deal didn't work, but he's still far and away the best player in that trade.

Even the Jason Blake + Toskala trade, for Giguere, was a great deal. Got rid of two overpaid locker room cancers/primadonna's, and extreme underachievers, for a overpaid veteran with fantastic leadership abilities.

I'm very happy with Burke.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Pi

Firing Wilson
Beauchemin trade...wasn't working out and we got a gem in Gardiner, and Lupul is doing great again!
Phaneuf trade...we gave up nothing that can't be gotten in the UFA for cheap.
JvR trade...Schenn was struggling big time with the Leafs. On and off years, good guy, great character, too slow to play with the Leafs if they want to rely on speed.

We gave up a lot for Kessel but I still like that trade Most skilled player we've had since Sundin left. A Kessel goal is like none other, he makes it look like he's playing against rookie goalies.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:04 AM
caber93

There are a lot of moves and trades that I love....
One I have yet to see be mentioned that doesn't look like a whole lot now but I think could be a huge signing for the Big Club in the near future is signing Scrivens. The guy has impressed at every level so far. He was one of the top goalies in College and continued that with the Marlies, where he was crucial in their Calder Cup run.

He's got it all and could be the real deal....so here's to hoping he can keep it going and Burkie and co. can really cash in on that free wallet!

caber93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber93 View Post
There are a lot of moves and trades that I love....
One I have yet to see be mentioned that doesn't look like a whole lot now but I think could be a huge signing for the Big Club in the near future is signing Scrivens. The guy has impressed at every level so far. He was one of the top goalies in College and continued that with the Marlies, where he was crucial in their Calder Cup run.

He's got it all and could be the real deal....so here's to hoping he can keep it going and Burkie and co. can really cash in on that free wallet!
Agreed, I like that signing.

Kid has starter upside and is big. He was one of the best goalies in the AHL last season.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:34 AM
SuperJayMann

I like how Burke is building the Marlies into perennial contenders, creating a winning culture takes time.
I hope he continues to sign college/university players, these free wallet signings wll eventually pay dividends.

SuperJayMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

My favourite Burke move is Burke getting hired, ending the 40+ year trend of ownership interfering with hockey decisions and ushering in a new era of professional hockey management on the fiefdom that is the Leafs. The clamour here for owners to get involved on insisting a particular product be put on ice yesterday is frightening, it's dooming history to repeat itself.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon

Last edited by Squiffy: 08-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:48 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Firing Ron Wilson was my favourite Burke move to date.

2 years late, but better late than never.
I'm going to agree with this. Wilson has done so much harm to the team as a whole, and to some individuals in specific. Kadri, and Gustavsson got screwed but Rotten Ronnie every step along the way, and he certainly didn't help our defensive defensemen either. I also hold him mostly responsible for our 2nd last place finish 3 years ago, and his awful special teams.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Shhh, don't tell anyone about this thread because it's taboo. What was your favourite Burke move to date?

Which do you think will be the one that best represents his goal or vision?

Is it a trade? Draft pick? Signing?

Please, only your favourite Burke moves.

If you don't have one, or feel like turning this into another Kessel is a disaster thread, please move along.

For me, it's two:

A) drafting Biggs. I don't know why, but I have a great feeling about this kid and what he will become with the Leafs. He's got power forward written all over him, and the thought of him in the top six is jut awesome.

B) the Carlyle hiring. RC is the coach Burke wants and envisions coaching HIS team. I have no doubt Burke will get him the players and started already with JvR.
Easily the Lups/Gard trade.

2nd would be a non move, not trading away last years 1rst for a NHL ready player.

Dion/Frans/Kaber/ trades all solid.

Stalb/Steeg trades, not sold on. Two young producing forwards .

JVR , to early.

Kubina trade was horrid.

Stralman trade , no thanks

2nd and a 3rd for our 2nd back, no thanks.

Poni trade, bleh.

Hayes trade, no thanks.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 08-16-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:05 AM
MapleReef

Non Move the Best

Not jumping into the Luongo deal at the draft. Even if we do get him and I am not sold on the idea, Burke didn't do what he has often done and that is try to be the biggest splash at the draft. He will cost a lot less moving forward.

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Yosho
Logic

The Lupul/Gardiner deal, for sure.

BUT, the trade that doesn't get enough respect is the Franson/Lombardi acquisition. Possibly the most one-sided trade I've ever seen. I still cannot actually believe that it happened. Really... sit back and think about what was given up for what was acquired. Mind blowing.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Easily the Lups/Gard trade.

2nd would be a non move, not trading away last years 1rst for a NHL ready player.

Dion/Frans/Kaber/ trades all solid.

Stalb/Steeg trades, not sold on. Two young producing forwards .

JVR , to early.

Kubina trade was horrid.

Stralman trade , no thanks

2nd and a 3rd for our 2nd back, no thanks.

Poni trade, bleh.

Hayes trade, no thanks.

Agree with most of this. Most of the good outweighs the bad. We lost a lot of the early house clearing trades however for the most part the big moves have all gone in our favour. I think the JVR trade was a good one too. Schenn was a nice piece but we needed high end forwards.

As far as general moves go the big one for me was keeping Gustavsson over Giggy. Never should have done that.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:46 AM
DaveT83*

The Lup's/Gard trade is easily the best move he's made in Toronto.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:46 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
My favourite Burke move is Burke getting hired, ending the 40+ year trend of ownership interfering with hockey decisions and ushering in a new era of professional hockey management on the fiefdom that is the Leafs. The clamour here for owners to get involved on insisting a particular product be put on ice yesterday is frightening, it's dooming history to repeat itself.

Behold, an actual bottle of Burkes Koolaid/Whiskey lol:

...simpler times in my life...

I came here to post this and was surprised to see someone else beat me to it. More than anything, I'm happy to see Burke is now the man in charge and I have all kinds of faith that he is going to set this franchise up for continuing success.

All I can say to that is......it's about damn time.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:52 AM
TheSilencer

Gardiner trade for obvious reasons.

And i like the Schenn-JVR trade. I was an advocate of a Schenn trade for years, and i'm glad we've traded him to address a position of weakness before Schenn's value diminished further.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAllDay View Post
-Trading Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner
-Trading White, Stajan, Hagman and Mayers for Phaneuf, Aulie & Sjostrom
-Naming Eakins head coach of the Marlies
So really, White, Stajan, Hagman and Mayers for Phaneuf and Ashton. I like.

But yes the ANA deal was my fav.

namttebih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
jiminygillickrs

IF we're talking strictly "deals" here. Than I'll simply echo what everyone else has mentioned. That is, I like virtually every hockey trade Burke & Co. have made (yes, including Kessel).

However, I find it interesting that this hasn't been mentioned yet. That being, the very fact that, to date, Burke refuses to break his principals. What I'm mainly talking about here are those bogus 99 year front-loaded hockey deals. Until this point the majority of leafs fan's (if you can even all them that anymore -- considering what's happened in the past decade) are all over Burke for "missing out" on all these stud players landing with teams offering up these ridiculous deals. If the current Luongo situation serves as a bench mark, it's clearly obvious that these deals are in fact very detrimental in most cases (ie: the situation where the high cost player, is out done by a cheaper/younger alternative). Would I have loved to have seen Parise/Suter on the Leafs? Hell ya I would. But certainly not at what the Wild paid for them. Let's not forget that one of Burke's MAIN OBJECTIVES was to ditch the country club attitude and return the team to it's former glory. That being, where players desired coming here and were more than happy accepting NORMAL hockey deals as compensation. This whole era of what I call "bogus" contracts, instantiated by the likes of the DiPietro deal and Detroit's signing of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, has gotten ridiculously out of hand.

For right now, it looks like were a stagnant franchise that is truly suffering and still relishing the "glory days". When in fact, we're slowly becoming prepped (and maybe not even so "slowly") for an absolutely glorious come back.

So why am I ecstatic Burke is here? Because he runs his hockey team the old fashioned way. That is, with real hockey deals, breeding our own young talent and not compromising our integrity just to win the ridiculously over-hyped battles to land significant players.

jiminy out!

jiminygillickrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I agree. The fact that we have a GM that is seemingly immune to internal and external pressure is refreshing.

Like Burke or not, he's the right guy for the job and is managing the team properly. Results are in the mail but he runs a tight ship and even the haters cannot dispute this fact.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

When you consider value in vs value out you have to go with Phaneuf, but that could change if Gardiner becomes a top pairing defenceman as well. In that case you'd have to go with the Beauchemin trade, because although he is better than anything we gave up for Phaneuf(another top pairing dman), having Lupul go from salary dump to top line forward -- unless last season was a career year -- is a huge bonus in our favour.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
When you consider value in vs value out you have to go with Phaneuf, but that could change if Gardiner becomes a top pairing defenceman as well. In that case you'd have to go with the Beauchemin trade, because although he is better than anything we gave up for Phaneuf(another top pairing dman), having Lupul go from salary dump to top line forward -- unless last season was a career year -- is a huge bonus in our favour.
I wonder how Ian White will pan out though. I know he's been moved twice since going to Calgary, but he did put up a pretty decent number of points on the Red Wings after a pretty decent playoff performance with the Sharks. (This is the part where I admit I watched maybe two Red Wings games all year)

It'll be interesting to see how he does without Lidstrom on the back end anymore; and if he can keep developing at this point.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Speaking globally and generally Burke's best move(s) are those still to come, that turn the Leafs from pretenders into contenders again, without borrowing from the future, and sacrificing picks and prospects in the process to do so.

Good moves defined as those that advance the team forward, and up the standings and into the playoffs to compete for the Stanley Cup.

08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

A couple other favourites were his make-up trades.

Poni to Caputi to Deschamps

Lebda to Lombardi and Franson

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Speaking globally and generally Burke's best move(s) are those still to come, that turn the Leafs from pretenders into contenders again, without borrowing from the future, and sacrificing picks and prospects in the process to do so.

Good moves defined as those that advance the team forward, and up the standings and into the playoffs to compete for the Stanley Cup.
Don't worry, Burke's next deal will "borrow from futures" because that is the point of stockpiling youth/talent.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote