HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Another Burke thread- a happy one for once!

Old
08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Do you not like the deal because of Schenn's potential or because you bought a jersey thinking he'd be a life long Leaf?

The trade was a good trade from a potential standpoint. Schenn on the Leafs hasn't been successful. He has some good potential but the more he played the more it became apparent that he wasn't going to reach it on the Leafs. So Burke capitalized on a situation to grab a high potential player, one with higher potential than Schenn.

It's not often you get the chance to get a potentially dominant winger with size, one who is a year removed from a playoff series that everyone was saying was his coming out party.
LOL, definitely because of the potential. I only mentioned the Jersey because it was the first one I've bought in over 20 years. Figures with my luck he'd get traded less than a year after I got it.

I'm not upset with the trade as I'm sure JVR will play well for the Leafs. Just wish Schenn had worked out. Trades happen so I don't get too hung up on any of them. Of all the trades under Burke, that is about the only one I initially didn't want to accept. Knowing a little more about JVR has helped bring me around. Cheers

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
LOL, definitely because of the potential. I only mentioned the Jersey because it was the first one I've bought in over 20 years. Figures with my luck he'd get traded less than a year after I got it.

I'm not upset with the trade as I'm sure JVR will play well for the Leafs. Just wish Schenn had worked out. Trades happen so I don't get too hung up on any of them. Of all the trades under Burke, that is about the only one I initially didn't want to accept. Knowing a little more about JVR has helped bring me around. Cheers
I believe my first text after the trade was 'I fn hate Burke. Stupid deal' hope I'm wrong. Lol

Wondering if I should hold off on my Kadri jersey though

The Apologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:55 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
I believe my first text after the trade was 'I fn hate Burke. Stupid deal' hope I'm wrong. Lol

Wondering if I should hold off on my Kadri jersey though
I love Schenn, and think he's going to thrive in Philly, but I think we're going to be the "winners" of this deal. Regardless of whether or not JVR works as a Center (I have a strange feeling that he will), I think he's going to have a break-out season for us and really elevate his game here.

As for Kadri, I really hope we keep him, but I would probably hold off on that one for at least a season or two, haha. I think he'll have a great NHL career though, and I hope it's with Toronto.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:00 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
I love Schenn, and think he's going to thrive in Philly, but I think we're going to be the "winners" of this deal. Regardless of whether or not JVR works as a Center (I have a strange feeling that he will), I think he's going to have a break-out season for us and really elevate his game here.

As for Kadri, I really hope we keep him, but I would probably hold off on that one for at least a season or two, haha. I think he'll have a great NHL career though, and I hope it's with Toronto.
I think we'll regret dealing Luke, but we'll have a very good play in JVR.

08-17-2012, 11:56 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I hope so, I think Schenn is gonna be a gem. Looking forward to Toronto Philly this year though. Think big brother goes after our captain?

Old
08-18-2012, 12:48 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Has to be the trade for Lupul and Gardiner...still don't know how he managed to pull that one off.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:32 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Firing Wilson
JVR for Schenn
Lupul&Gardiner for nothing.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:04 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
I hope so, I think Schenn is gonna be a gem. Looking forward to Toronto Philly this year though. Think big brother goes after our captain?
He better be careful, Phaneuf hits about 3 times harder than Schenn.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:40 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
He better be careful, Phaneuf hits about 3 times harder than Schenn.
Still could make things interesting. I miss the old Leaf vs Flyers line brawls.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:01 AM
diceman934

Quote:
You can bank on it......it will be fireworks!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:29 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Lupul and Gardiner. Trade a UFA signing who did not work out with the team and get a top line winger and a good defensive prospect back must go down as one of the great deals. And good thing is, I dont think Anaheim complain either seeing as Beauchemin showed his skills for them.

Even do we lack elite talent in the system I really like most of our prospects. I know BB is not the one doing the scouting and ranking but he is the man in charge so credit to him for bolstering the squad with some good character players who hopefully will make the leafs hard to play against.

This is hopefully how our D can look like in a couple of years.
So much hockey IQ, smooth skating, character, leadership and hard work in that group. Sure, some of them might not make it so far and a lot can happen from now and until those projects are ready. But I like it.

Rielly (L) - Percy (R)
Gardiner (L) - Granberg (R)
Finn (L) - Blacker (R)

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Lupul and Gardiner. Trade a UFA signing who did not work out with the team and get a top line winger and a good defensive prospect back must go down as one of the great deals. And good thing is, I dont think Anaheim complain either seeing as Beauchemin showed his skills for them.

Even do we lack elite talent in the system I really like most of our prospects. I know BB is not the one doing the scouting and ranking but he is the man in charge so credit to him for bolstering the squad with some good character players who hopefully will make the leafs hard to play against.

This is hopefully how our D can look like in a couple of years.
So much hockey IQ, smooth skating, character, leadership and hard work in that group. Sure, some of them might not make it so far and a lot can happen from now and until those projects are ready. But I like it.

Rielly (L) - Percy (R)
Gardiner (L) - Granberg (R)
Finn (L) - Blacker (R)
That D needs a bit more size and grit mixed in.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:13 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Rielly, Percy and Finn are all 6'.
Blacker is 6' 1"
Gardiner is 6' 2"
Granberg 6' 3"

I think that is size enough. I rather have defenders who can move the puck, have high hockey IQ and are good skaters then big, gritty ones who get out of position all the time.

With Biggs, Frattin, Ashton and Ross we will have the grit and size needed in the line up. And they can crash and bang where it does not matter as much if they get out of position, far away from our own net.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:48 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Rielly, Percy and Finn are all 6'.
Blacker is 6' 1"
Gardiner is 6' 2"
Granberg 6' 3"

I think that is size enough. I rather have defenders who can move the puck, have high hockey IQ and are good skaters then big, gritty ones who get out of position all the time.

With Biggs, Frattin, Ashton and Ross we will have the grit and size needed in the line up. And they can crash and bang where it does not matter as much if they get out of position, far away from our own net.
Don't forget about Nilsson who was part of the Swedish team who came over this summer.

Might not be big (N.Kronwall size), but seems to have that edge to him.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

I think getting Giguere for Toskala was the first step in a chain reaction. Giguere had more of an impact than he was credited for. Reimer played well knowing that he had Giguere to bail him out. Also, picking up Bozak proved to be a good move as it stabilized the centre position enough to justify flipping Stajan in the Phaneuf deal.

Top assets produced by the Burke administration for me are Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Gardiner. Lupul, Kadri, Colborne Blacker and Rielly are close seconds. Lupul needs another good season before he can be thought of as a top asset...

Durkin67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
DaveT83

Schenn for JVR was a great trade for both organizations.

IMO the losing wore on Luke. I think he's going to have a fire re-lit under his ass in Philly.

DaveT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Why would our captain fight 3rd pairing scrubs?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
I think getting Giguere for Toskala was the first step in a chain reaction. Giguere had more of an impact than he was credited for. Reimer played well knowing that he had Giguere to bail him out. Also, picking up Bozak proved to be a good move as it stabilized the centre position enough to justify flipping Stajan in the Phaneuf deal.

Top assets produced by the Burke administration for me are Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Gardiner. Lupul, Kadri, Colborne Blacker and Rielly are close seconds. Lupul needs another good season before he can be thought of as a top asset...
Did Giguere ever bail him out?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Why would our captain fight 3rd pairing scrubs?
3rd pairing scrub.... .....they hate each other is the reason why. Hence the trade.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Why would he do that?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:14 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think people need to realize that if Schenn breaks out in Philly and becomes the player most of us envisioned, it doesn't mean he would have on the Leafs.

All to often people assume a player breaking out means that he would have on the team he was prior to the new team.

It's just not right. Would MacArthur have broken out on Atlanta? Unlikely. Would Lupul have been a PPG player on Anaheim? Nope. Players sometimes just aren't getting the necessary time or development on the team they are on, so it's unlikely they ever break out on it. New team brings a fresh chance and new opportunities that weren't available on the old team.

Schenn will have those on Philly. He may have had them on the Leafs with a new coach but it's likely that his confidence needed a boost that only a move to another team could do.

theIceWookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Did Giguere ever bail him out?
Giguere was an effective mentor, and a stabilizing presence for a rookie goalie. He was pretty important to Reimer's emergence. I'm sure he could have benefitted from Giggy's presence last year.

Durkin67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Giguere was an effective mentor, and a stabilizing presence for a rookie goalie. He was pretty important to Reimer's emergence. I'm sure he could have benefitted from Giggy's presence last year.
Hard to say he was his mentor that year, given Reimer stepped in his first game and pretty much took the reins from there. Not like there was any long established training relationship. I suppose he may have said some things in practise but it's also hard to argue he instilled confidence in knowing he was there to back him up given how poor his numbers were in the few times he did spell him off. Not saying adding a vet to the mix wouldn't help, just that his play certainly shouldn't have given Reimer confidence.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

mentor

Quote:
“You see the drive the great goalies have,” said Reimer. “[J-S Giguere] had that drive. He was so intense every day, he’d do anything to stay in the league. He do anything to keep pucks out of the net. I wanted to do some things over the break. I didn’t want to sit there and do nothing.”

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:47 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
mentor
Last season it DID look like Reimer learned something from him.