HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating = Shins about to explode [PLEASE HELP]

Old
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 500
Skating = Shins about to explode [PLEASE HELP]

So here's my story..

I learned to skate when I was young, never had any pain that I can remember back in those days.

Over the past year/year and a half I have been trying to get into ice hockey but I obviously wanted to work on my skating fundamentals (backwards skating, crossovers, balance, speed..etc) before I joined a beginners league.

However, I have been faced with one big problem..

After skating for ~5 minutes, my shins gradually approach a level of severe, severe pain! They tighten up to the point that I have to rip my skates off and slowly stretch out the effected area to relieve the extreme discomfort.

Solution 1:
-I have tried doing stretches before and after skating, stretching my calves, shins, feet, hamstrings..everything!

..Didn't work.

Solution 2:
-Bought wax laces to prevent them from coming loose.. nothing.
-Got the skates baked .. nothing.
-Tried leaving the top eyelit, middle eyelit undone, the middle part a little looser, the top part a little looser .. nothing.

Solution 3:
-Low and behold, I experienced the same problem while running.. I got custom orthotics and the problem was solved.

-I bought the yellow superfeet.. Didn't work.

-I went to see a podiatrist had him make $500 custom insoles for my skates.. The first time I went skating with them the problem was very minor, almost a non-issue.. I went skating twice about a month or two after.. and the problem was back, maybe even worse.

I have tried all these solutions in conjunction with each other and the issue is still just as ****ed as ever. I've been playing ball hockey for years now, but I absolutely love ice hockey .. I want to play so bad but this problem makes it impossible!

What do I do!? SOMEONE HELP ME

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Fanned On It

Sounds like shin-splints to me, but I'm no expert so don't take my word for it. What's weird though is that I've never experienced shin-splints after skating. I've only ever got it after running, and that's only when I haven't really run for a while.

Does it feel like your shins are really tight and it hurts when you point your foot/toes up?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:06 AM
AIREAYE

Can you rule out a bad skate fit? Though this sounds like something to do with you; a medical issue. Have you gotten a medical professional to thoroughly assess the problem? Probably your best bet instead of asking online.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
zeeto

I know some people will mistake a stress fracture with shin-splints. I'd get a doctor to take a look and rule out a medical issue, like AIREAYE said.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:54 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
I've had that pain before while running after taking time off from it for a while. I assume it's a muscle strength/conditioning issue. I had to ease myself back into it, pushing for longer sessions as the pain/discomfort subsided.

Is it possibly the same type of issue? The pain should gradually subside after 5-10 shorter conditioning sessions. When you skate, do you tend to 'run' on ice, rather than glide/ push with the side of your skate? If you're getting back into skating, your muscles etc. are not yet conditioned for the skating type of movement.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How's your posture on the ice? You might be putting too much pressure on the knees, causing that upper shin pain. Maybe try sitting your butt back more and being from the hips?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Stickchecked

Shin splints sounds really unlikely. I get shin splints if I run a short distance but have never had anything similar while skating.

I would go to see a physiotherapist. A lot cheaper than a podiatrist.

Although sanityplease makes a good point, how do you skate? Are you "running" on the ice or skating? How would someone objectively rank your skating form / ability? If it's low, adjusting your technique will probably go far in resolving the issue.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How's your posture on the ice? You might be putting too much pressure on the knees, causing that upper shin pain. Maybe try sitting your butt back more and being from the hips?
I'd definitely look into this. Does your back hurt a bit afterwards, as well? I had some similar pains when I first started playing (shins and back), granted nowhere near as painful as the OP sounds, and the solution was having my weight too far forward. I had just adapted my usual running stride to a skate boot, which is bad since running=/=skating. I was essentially skating on my toes. Soon as I learned to keep my ass down and weight back, the pain went away.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:45 AM
biturbo19

Concrete feet?

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:47 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 3322
Sorry this seems rude when I type it but please don't take it that way......

but can you skate with proper technique?

I know some 'beginners' have problems with ankles/feet/shins, etc because they are properly balanced or are skating incorrectly and put too much pressure on certain areas giving them pain.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have the same issue whenever I skate out. I subconsciously use my goaltending posture while skating and after 20 minutes my shins are on fire.

Just work on your skating technique, maybe take a couple intermediate skating classes and you should be good to go

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:04 PM
SCBruCrew4

I'm going to guess it's shin splints as well. But try what other people are suggesting too.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I have the same issue whenever I skate out. I subconsciously use my goaltending posture while skating and after 20 minutes my shins are on fire.
Hmm, now that you mention put it like that, I think I had the same problem some time after starting to play hockey 13 years ago. Don't remember anything specific though.

But I've never had any shin discomfort since playing regularly for the past 4 years.

ChrisNI has it right: It's not meant rudely, but I'm sure the problem is lack of technique and lack of practice. Work on both.

There's no shame if you need to sit every 5 or 10 minutes at an open skate. Do what you gotta do to improve.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Suddenly7

Sounds like shin splints to be honest. I was in the same position as you last year. I ended up doing nothing other than eating a banana before the game. I know it sounds weird but someone recommend it to me and it worked.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

The muscle that runs alongside the tibia is the tibialis anterior. If you can point your toes away and have it relieve the soreness, or pull your toes toward your knee and increase the soreness, that's what you're looking at.

In the case of skating, there's not a lot of posterior movement that your foot can do simply because the heel of the boot restricts it so much. So what's happening is that your skating motion (with knees bent) would be roughly equal to walking around on a daily basis on your heels with your toes off the ground. Most people can walk around with no problem, most people can't walk on their heels for more than a few steps before having to stop.

There are a few ways to stretch it to relieve the soreness and pain. But the best remedy would be to strengthen the muscle to increase the vasculation (and endurance).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
fryer98

I've been skating since I was 8 and I'm 32 now. At the time of this, I was skating,, coaching on ice, reffing, and/or playing 3-5 times per week on ~5 different rinks any given week. About 5 year ago, I got what sounds to be the same shin pains while playing at rink A. A few days later, I played at rink B and did not have the problem. Back to rink B and had the problem again. I'm going to guess this happened 6-8 times, but only at rink B.

I emailed friends and posted the situation on a few message boards and no one had an answer. Was it the ice? Why just at rink A? After the 6-8 times, it didn't happen at that rink again. About 2 years later, while reffing a game at rink B, I got the same pains. This was the worst, since I was reffing and couldn't just sit down for a while.

After that, I've never had the problem again. While I was having the problem, I would spend extra time stretching my shins and calf muscles. I would also do toe lifts (not sure if that's the real name or not): Stand back to the wall with my heels 12-16" off the wall and simply left my toes up and down leaving my heels on the ground.

In summary, I've been there and have no definite answer for you, sorry!

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Inno

I get shin splints when I play aka compartment syndrome, the only thing you can do is stretch and it will help alleviate the pain 80-90%. Also stop running as it compounds the problem. Do toe taps for atleast 5 minutes straight, everytime before you play, it will make a significant improvement gradually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66r_kWvgwUo

Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
I've been skating since I was 8 and I'm 32 now. At the time of this, I was skating,, coaching on ice, reffing, and/or playing 3-5 times per week on ~5 different rinks any given week. About 5 year ago, I got what sounds to be the same shin pains while playing at rink A. A few days later, I played at rink B and did not have the problem. Back to rink B and had the problem again. I'm going to guess this happened 6-8 times, but only at rink B.

I emailed friends and posted the situation on a few message boards and no one had an answer. Was it the ice? Why just at rink A? After the 6-8 times, it didn't happen at that rink again. About 2 years later, while reffing a game at rink B, I got the same pains. This was the worst, since I was reffing and couldn't just sit down for a while.

After that, I've never had the problem again. While I was having the problem, I would spend extra time stretching my shins and calf muscles. I would also do toe lifts (not sure if that's the real name or not): Stand back to the wall with my heels 12-16" off the wall and simply left my toes up and down leaving my heels on the ground.

In summary, I've been there and have no definite answer for you, sorry!
I have a similar experience. Played roller all my life, never had shin splints. When I started playing on ice, I noticed I would get some pain in the shins every once in a while (dull, but still annoying). Finally figured out that it would go away once the skate was sharpened. So it seems that the once the skate gets dull, I get the pain, as soon as I sharpen them up, it goes away. Once I figured this out, I could get rid of them by jumping off the ice during warmup, if it starts to get painful, to get em sharpened up real quick.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The muscle that runs alongside the tibia is the tibialis anterior. If you can point your toes away and have it relieve the soreness, or pull your toes toward your knee and increase the soreness, that's what you're looking at.

In the case of skating, there's not a lot of posterior movement that your foot can do simply because the heel of the boot restricts it so much. So what's happening is that your skating motion (with knees bent) would be roughly equal to walking around on a daily basis on your heels with your toes off the ground. Most people can walk around with no problem, most people can't walk on their heels for more than a few steps before having to stop.

There are a few ways to stretch it to relieve the soreness and pain. But the best remedy would be to strengthen the muscle to increase the vasculation (and endurance).
This. Also, sciatica can make this worse as well.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
caasicam
Rookie User

I have the exact same problem as you. Left leg only. Cannot get rid of it. Tried everything. Custom orthotics in skates helped a bit at end of last season but pain is back. Drives me nuts and hurts like hell. Did you find a cure/solution etc?

caasicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:38 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I get this all the time while skating. Severe pain in the muscular part of the shin. Feels like the muscle could rupture because of how tight it gets and how strong the pain is. I just play through it. I've played ice for 15 years and been experiencing this for at least the last 8 years. I just figure the muscle is sore like any other muscle gets when you work it out more than it can really handle, and I play through it. Never resulted in any problems besides the shin hurting. They hurt right now, actually.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I get this all the time while skating. Severe pain in the muscular part of the shin. Feels like the muscle could rupture because of how tight it gets and how strong the pain is. I just play through it. I've played ice for 15 years and been experiencing this for at least the last 8 years. I just figure the muscle is sore like any other muscle gets when you work it out more than it can really handle, and I play through it. Never resulted in any problems besides the shin hurting. They hurt right now, actually.
There's no reason why you should be living in pain for 8 years. Out of curiosity, how many pairs of skates have you had in those 8 years? Could it be skate fit?

Have you ever seen a PT about it? It's so hit or miss when looking for a good one, but once you got one, they can make a huge difference.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
There's no reason why you should be living in pain for 8 years. Out of curiosity, how many pairs of skates have you had in those 8 years? Could it be skate fit?

Have you ever seen a PT about it? It's so hit or miss when looking for a good one, but once you got one, they can make a huge difference.
It's not skate fit; I've been fitted a few times in my life (obviously as I grew up) and I've been through 4-5 pairs of skates in those 8 years (currently in One100s; previously X:60s, XXXXs, etc.). I actually switched to the One100s I'm currently wearing because I felt that my foot had grown wider as I'd gotten older and wanted the wider fit of the Supreme cut. I can assure you that my skates are properly fitted and that the issue is not with my form or technique; I've been coached in power skating, played travel and college hockey and generally, if my skating has ever been mentioned by a coach or other observers, it's been praised as the best part of my game. And I'm not living in pain. I skate hard and about 60% of the time I experience strong pain in my anterior tibialis. Usually, it lingers for a day or two, but much less intense than when it was during the skate and it's not a big deal. Maybe I just put up with a lot more than others/have a higher threshold but as uncomfortable as it is (literally just feels like the muscle is so swollen/so tight stretched that it could rupture) I just figure it as the price to pay for playing a physically intensive sport. It doesn't really effect my game or my daily comfort; I may be a little sore walking around the next morning, but not much more so than I'd be anyways after my coach skated us in college or I hit the gym hard.

Playing college hockey and such, something was always sore anyways - be it bruises from blocking shots or quads from skating in practice. I never really even noticed that the pain in my shins was something unique from the routine soreness and bruises of playing a highly physical sport at a competitive level until I graduated a year ago and started experiencing it during pick up skates. I've looked into it online a few times out of curiosity because on rare instances, if I skate for 3-4 hours or I play 3 times in 3 days, the lingering pain might be more intense than usual and all I've found is that the anterior tibialis is not a muscle that typically gets an intense workout and when you put a lot of stress and weight on it it will get sore, like most muscles. The difference is just where it's located leads to more discomfort than when my chest is sore two days after I bench or my quads are sore after squats. I've always been really lazy about stretching and such but when I remember to I stretch the shins out by flexing my toes up and down for like 5 minutes before I skate; that usually prevents the pain entirely. When I forget to stretch I usually do the same exercises the next day to alleviate the soreness.

I really feel it's just a combination of my anatomy, my weight, the nature of skating, etc. and the muscle in that location is not proportionate to my weight/under-developed and gets aggravated when I push it. Just like trying to lift to much. If you're unfamiliar with it and you're beginning to skate again, I could see why it would be a red flag/make adjusting to ice a lot more difficult, but if you've been playing most of your life, it's just one of the many aches and ailments that result from playing hockey. At least that's how I've always looked at it. Like I said in my first post, the shins are sore today but I still walked a dozen or so blocks to work this morning without much problem and then went for a jog after work. To me, it's just part of the soreness associated with constantly being active.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Curious if the OP ever had any resolution. I too suffer from this exact problem, one thing I can mention that helped slightly, make sure your shin guards aren't too tight. Other then that, mostly what everyone else said. Proper technique and strength conditioning, stretching. Sucks i know, I hope you find a cure, if you do, please let me know!

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:54 AM
pnewsom

I have found that a skate's blade profile can have a big effect on my leg muscles. Particularily noticed this going from Easton skates to Bauers. Even changing from 1/2" grind to 5/8" had a big effect. Might not be the problem but it is something to consider.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote