HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fla - Phi

Old
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

vCash: 500
Fla - Phi

EDIT: Switched Wellwood to Read.

To Panthers :
Matt Read

To Flyers :
Keaton Ellerby +

Not sure how off the value is here, but I thought it seemed like an even trade from a neutral standpoint.

Flyers acquire Ellerby to give them depth on D, Ellerby could be a potential top 4 guy in the future with the right team. Panthers have no need for Ellerby due to having 7 D-Men signed to one way contracts coming into next season. Plus, Ellerby has gotten limited ice time as a Panther, hasn't shown his upside with them yet.

Panthers acquire Read to fill the 2C spot we have been looking for, Read would fit in well with Huberdeau and we would add more depth to the offense.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MillarWithASave: 08-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.
MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Done.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I think Flyers might have to add a 2nd, just to pay for Ellerby's potential.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Really? Is Wellwood not worth anything?

Old
08-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
A 2nd is a bit high, but I could see a later draft pick with Wellwood for Ellerby.

Hard to say though, because we have a glut of guys that we're trying to evaluate on defense at the AHL level this year, but I definitely think the Flyers would certainly be fine throwing a ton of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks as far as defenseman go.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I thought he was just an average bottom 6 player. Ellerby is a former early 1st round pick, and can still break out(alhough I wouldn't bet on it.)

Pure skillwise I think it's fair, but Ellerby has more potential, despite how unlikely it seems he reaches it.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:51 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Probably a 3rd rounder, nothing more. He's a very solid, unspectacular 4th liner with good defensive ability, minimal physicality, and the ability to put up a respectable amount of points for his role. I would keep Ellerby, and certainly not add a +.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
uhh, I'd do that even if it's just straight up...

Wellwood isnt anything special. A lot of Flyers fans over rate him simply because we have a terrible crop of prospects and any time a young player has one good shift in his early career they're ready to jump on the bandwagon. He's got speed and can kill penalties, but that's about it. He probably won't amount to anything more than a 4th liner, that can step-up to a top-9 role if needed short-term

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

Wellwood isnt anything special. A lot of Flyers fans over rate him simply because we have a terrible crop of prospects and any time a young player has one good shift in his early career they're ready to jump on the bandwagon. He's got speed and can kill penalties, but that's about it. He probably won't amount to anything more than a 4th liner, that can step-up to a top-9 role if needed short-term
and on the other side of the coin you have people like you, that do nothing but bash prospects that are not expected to have first line potential. Infact, hfboards does this allot.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
I'd absolutely do this trade from a Flyers perspective. We have a glut of bottom 6 potential forwards making Wellwood expendable, and like aforementioned, its time to throw players at the wall and see who sticks.

PantherStriker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Would you guys be willing to trade Read for Ellerby +?

Old
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
harv3317

panthers have a glutt of low line forwards as well. i would keepmellerby. he'll show up with increased ice time. we need a 2nd line center.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
panthers have a glutt of low line forwards as well. i would keepmellerby. he'll show up with increased ice time. we need a 2nd line center.
Agreed. But we have a lot of defenseman as well, most likely Ellerby will be in and out of the AHL next season. He could be decent trade bait while his value is moderate.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:40 PM
ShootIt

We don't necessarily need more wingers. We are ok there. We need a guy who can be suitable for the 2nd possibly or at worst be a 3rd line center with some offensive touch.

I don't think Wellwood is much of an upgrade over Wellman, at the expense of Ellerby.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Frodo Baggins

Sure. But I don't really see this helping the flyers much. Stacking on a bunch of bottom pairing D's isn't going to get the job done. We already have a lot of defense in our system. Just not really good defense. I feel like this would just add to that.

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:15 PM
StringerBell

As a neutral fan I'll second that Ellerby+ for Read proposal. Seems like it could be good for both sides. Maybe Read for Matthias + Ellerby?

Old
08-17-2012, 03:21 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
As a neutral fan I'll second that Ellerby+ for Read proposal. Seems like it could be good for both sides. Maybe Read for Matthias + Ellerby?
Maybe after TC and matthias doesnt win the #2 center role

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:55 PM
StringerBell

I'm surprised to hear that he would be considered for a top 6 role. I think Read would fill that spot much better than Matthias.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:18 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that he would be considered for a top 6 role. I think Read would fill that spot much better than Matthias.
I agree. I would have to say this is Matthias' last chance to become what everyone thinks he can be, which is very unlikely to happen. I think Read would fit our #2 center need, plus he's pretty young.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:20 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

I think Panthers would decline. The Panthers have a low of bottom six forwards as is, and I couldn't see Wellwood beating out any of them for a roster spot. Ellerby meanwhile probably won't be on the roster come opening day, but I'd rather have more depth on defense, then an extra warm body upfront.

As for acquiring Read I'd be all for it, however I doubt the Flyers would have much interested in moving him in a package for Ellerby and Matthias. I like Matthias I believe he has a very legitimate shot at winning the number two center spot, but if the trade were to happen, Read would be better for said spot, and to get the upgrade at center is worth letting Ellerby go. I'd even throw in a pick or two. But again don't see the Flyers moving Read, unless it's in a trade for a better player.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:20 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Personally wouldn't have much interest in a Wellwood for Ellerby deal, but would definitely have interest in a Read for Ellerby+ deal.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:00 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Agreed. But we have a lot of defenseman as well, most likely Ellerby will be in and out of the AHL next season. He could be decent trade bait while his value is moderate.
Ellerby has to pass through waivers he's not going to the AHL he'd get claimed by somebody.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Personally wouldn't have much interest in a Wellwood for Ellerby deal, but would definitely have interest in a Read for Ellerby+ deal.
I don't see why the Flyers would.

NitHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

No lol ur definetly underrating him being a season ticket holder with the spits and watching Welly develop from a lanky kid into a young man that can score,he does hit,kills penalties and can play the PP...Not many people would have said Welly could get into the linup for the flyers At the beginning of the season..but there he was proving lots of people wrong once again he seems to improve every season, he's been underrated his whole Career and has always gone above and beyond everyones expectation.

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2009-10 Regular Season Windsor Spitfires 65 31 37 68 36 36
2008-09 Regular Season Windsor Spitfires 61 16 18 34 27 12
2007-08 Regular Season Windsor Spitfires 68 9 7 16 3 12
2006-07 Regular Season Windsor Spitfires 23 2 5 7 -12 0
Total:

As you can see every season he improves who's to say he can't in the NHL

To Add I would love to see Erik and his Bro Kyle in Winnipeg one day play on the same team that would be great.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Not a heck of a lot there for the Flyers except taking on salary & burning a roster spot.
With Ellerby subject to being lost on waivers we could end up with only Matthias unless Ellerby stays on the Phantoms until he hits RFA. The Florida 2 are maybes while Read proved his worth last year.

To even cap hit/roster slots maybe something like:
To Flyers:
Ellerby
Matthias
2nd in 2013 (Flyers fans know Homer can't resist trading @ least 1 every year)

To Panthers:
Read
Lilja (injured but takes up a roster spot)

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote