HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XIX)

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Fans are never going to be on the players' side, that's part of the problem and why the owners feel they can be ***** about this whole thing. By and large fans are either going to be in the school of 'a pox on both their houses anyway' or they'll be jealous and wonder why players getting paid an average salary of millions of dollars need even more money.

Fans get jealous of players because they dream of being players. Fans don't get jealous of owners, especially since they feel that owners 'should' get a huge majority of the profits since they own the teams. As if sports are a normal business.
I'm on the players side. I think they deserve the money.

That being said, it's not like I'm going to boycott buying tickets once the lockout is over. I will be at the first game of the year no matter what day it occurs on.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:12 AM
rob42186

hey guys
so I was talking with my friend last night about us assigning the 24 players to Albany. He mentioned that they might have to clear waivers. I noticed the players were assigned the day before the lockout, so I figure there was a reason for all of it, and we wouldn't risk that on all of these players. Can anyone clarify the situation for me?
Thanks!

Old
09-21-2012, 08:26 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob42186 View Post
hey guys
so I was talking with my friend last night about us assigning the 24 players to Albany. He mentioned that they might have to clear waivers. I noticed the players were assigned the day before the lockout, so I figure there was a reason for all of it, and we wouldn't risk that on all of these players. Can anyone clarify the situation for me?
Thanks!
Probably yes, probably no.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob42186 View Post
hey guys
Thanks!
it has nothing to do with the lockout. we assigned certain players to albany to practice...gotta get their shooting percentages up

Old
09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
njdevil26

I think there has to be an unwritten agreement in this situation between all GMs. Every team has to afford the opportunity for players to play somewhere during the lockout. Hundreds of players were put on waivers. It would be a totally disrespectful and backhanded thing for a GM to start claiming guys on the wire in this current situation.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Still looking for a credible argument in supporting the greedy owners.

Don't get the essence of salary rollbacks. You signed a legally binding contract, it's your responsibility, not the players.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:13 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
Still looking for a credible argument in supporting the greedy owners.

Don't get the essence of salary rollbacks. You signed a legally binding contract, it's your responsibility, not the players.
It's on both. The players want to make every penny possible and the owners want to keep every penny possible.

If we were to make the argument that the players and owners should have morals and care for the system, then we could say the owners shouldn't be drawing up those kinds of deals and the players shouldn't be signing them. The whole system is flawed. If there's a loophole, every team is going to take advantage of it.

It's a huge problem. The cap actually doesn't really do anything. If there was no salary cap, the rich teams would outbid the smaller market teams on every player. WITH the cap, the owners are able to throw in signing bonuses, front load deals, and so on..... the small market owners still have to stretch the rules and pull out the checkbooks to match it.

I actually agree with a 5-6 year cap on contracts WITH the salary cap. It's the best way. There's no way to front load deals to keep the cap hit low and it would force everyone to be honest in the contract process. The players obviously oppose it because it will end up netting them less $ over a longer term.

I really think the owners should just propose a 50-50 split or a 52-48 split and a 7 year cap on contracts and just call it a day.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:16 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I think there has to be an unwritten agreement in this situation between all GMs. Every team has to afford the opportunity for players to play somewhere during the lockout. Hundreds of players were put on waivers. It would be a totally disrespectful and backhanded thing for a GM to start claiming guys on the wire in this current situation.
theres probably some sort of unspoken agreement mandated by bettman. gotta keep those owners 'unified'!

Old
09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Tedenboozled

there's a new thread

Old
09-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
It's on both. The players want to make every penny possible and the owners want to keep every penny possible.

If we were to make the argument that the players and owners should have morals and care for the system, then we could say the owners shouldn't be drawing up those kinds of deals and the players shouldn't be signing them. The whole system is flawed. If there's a loophole, every team is going to take advantage of it.

It's a huge problem. The cap actually doesn't really do anything. If there was no salary cap, the rich teams would outbid the smaller market teams on every player. WITH the cap, the owners are able to throw in signing bonuses, front load deals, and so on..... the small market owners still have to stretch the rules and pull out the checkbooks to match it.

I actually agree with a 5-6 year cap on contracts WITH the salary cap. It's the best way. There's no way to front load deals to keep the cap hit low and it would force everyone to be honest in the contract process. The players obviously oppose it because it will end up netting them less $ over a longer term.

I really think the owners should just propose a 50-50 split or a 52-48 split and a 7 year cap on contracts and just call it a day.

The problem with your argument is that your missing the point that it's not really on both sides. The players should sign whatever is the most in front of them or what they actually prefer. The owners, however, have a different task. It's their own responsibility to hand out contracts that they can afford because it's THEIR money. It's like if I was in a massive debt but I kept going and buying things that I couldn't really afford. The stores wouldn't care that I'm in debt, as long as I'm giving them money. And then I just stop and say "WAIT, I was irresponsible with my money, I'll pay you less than what I agreed to pay you because I was irresponsible with my money".

The owners were irresponsible with their money and the players should not be blamed for that. They took the best possible offer. One could make an argument that the minimum salary cap forced some teams to spend but in actuality that is a really small percentage of teams in the league and the fact is that the real problem was that teams just simply spent too much that what they actually had by their own will.

Last edited by Hell Zeon*: 09-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust

I don't like the fact that everybody is looking to go play overseas now. Instead of trying to stay here, and work something out they're frantically jumping on KHL contracts only a week after this lockout began. I'm not talking Kovy. I'm talking about the report about all the guys who wanna get KHL deals now like Giroux, and a bunch of other names. What a bunch of crap.

Closed Thread