HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf vs Gardiner vs Rielly

Old
08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Phaneuf vs Gardiner vs Rielly

Simple question really,

In your opinion, which ends up being the better defenseman in their prime?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:45 AM
81Leafs50

Reilly

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Most will probably say Rielly, but I'll go with Gardiner.

Dangles McGavin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll go Rielly here too, there's a lot to like about him...

I think any of them could come out on top to be honest...

But, if we're comparing primes, there's a really good chance that Phaneuf still takes this with his 07-08 season...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

I don't see Reilly or Gardiner being nominated for Norris trophies.

So in prime, Phaneuf wins.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
TmlHockeyFan

If you look at everyone's prime I'd say

Rielly>Phaneuf>Gardiner

The only thing is we don't know how well Rielly will play in the NHL but he has a great projection.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
diceman934

Rielly....then Gardiner.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Can't wait for WJC

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
LOL. Easily Phaneuf, I don't see either Rielly or Gardiner putting up a 60 point season with 182 PIMs and being second in Norris voting.

Bravid Nonahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Phaneuf is a different type of D so I think it's comparing apples and oranges since Phaneuf and Rielly/Gardiner would occupy different roles. Rielly/Phaneuf would be a fantastic pairing IMO.

In terms of Rielly vs Gardiner, definitely Rielly would be the best rusher we have as he is similar with Gardiner in terms of skating, but has way better vision and passing ability.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
LOL. Easily Phaneuf, I don't see either Rielly or Gardiner putting up a 60 point season with 182 PIMs and being second in Norris voting.
It's not just you... but seriously, outside of fantasy hockey, when are PIMs a good thing?

When a player is in the box, his effectiveness is 0, and the team is probably short-handed. It's a bad thing.

I get that fighting is a good trait, but it's not directly reflected in PIMs, and you still don't know if the guy's any good at it, even if he does it often.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
If you look at everyone's prime I'd say

Rielly>Phaneuf>Gardiner

The only thing is we don't know how well Rielly will play in the NHL but he has a great projection.
This, if Rielly reaches his potential(#1 PMD, who's good defensively), he'll be the best of the bunch. Gardiner is probably a 2nd pairing guy when all is said and done. Phaneuf is a #1, but prone to mistakes.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
It's not just you... but seriously, outside of fantasy hockey, when are PIMs a good thing?

When a player is in the box, his effectiveness is 0, and the team is probably short-handed. It's a bad thing.

I get that fighting is a good trait, but it's not directly reflected in PIMs, and you still don't know if the guy's any good at it, even if he does it often.
It gives an indicator of physicality, or the capability of being physical. Riellly and Gardiner both aren't very physical. It's just another dimension to someone's game.

Bravid Nonahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:58 PM
edwardslane

They all bring different elements to the game. Especially Phaneuf.. I think Gardiner and Reilly are both similar players however Reilly is a higher draft pick and younger. So while we've seen a great season out of Gardiner i just hope he can do it again and not be a flash in the pan.

It would be awesome to get a player in a trade for a Free agent that can be a long term contributer to the leafs.

I think having 2 pmd like reilly and gardiner is massive.. and the leafs really have something special in these two.. Could be like having Phil housley and Brian leetch on the same team in their primes.

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:03 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Rielly....then Gardiner.
This.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Edgeworth*

Gonna say...

Rielly > Noofers > Gardiner

Dion is just entering his prime. He's only 27. And he has some impressive seasons under his belt. People gotta lay off on the hate.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Easily Phaneuf. If Gardiner or Rielly ever put up 60 points or be nominated for the Norris, I'll be ecstatic.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Mr Lahey*

I'm not really sure how were supposed to compare or guess here....3 different stages, and 3 different players in skill sets

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Sypher04

Total crapshoot. In Phaneuf's career he has already been a Norris finalist, and put up 60 points as mentioned by others in this thread. He also plays a physical game that neither of these players offer. With that said, his defensive game is complete and utter garbage, so that could be the great equalizer. I'd take the strong two-way defender over the offense-only guy any day, regardless of hitting prowess.

IF Rielly reaches his ceiling, he could quite easily be the best of the bunch. Gardiner offensively could top out around ~50. The key for him will be how his D game progresses. Worth keeping in mind that this kid hasn't even been a defenseman for that long.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Gonna say...

Rielly > Noofers > Gardiner

Dion is just entering his prime. He's only 27. And he has some impressive seasons under his belt. People gotta lay off on the hate.
This. I don't know how anyone can say Phaneuf's prime was his Norris nomination year, he was just a 22 year old at the time. Though that was easily his best year and he will always be a better player than Gardiner.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Whydidijoin*

Considering one just finished his first year, and one was just drafted, this is pretty much impossible to say.

It also begs the question, which Phaneuf do we count as prime? The year that he scored a bunch and did big hits, which led to his Norris nomination? Or now, when he is better all-around, but not putting up the same kind of points?

It also begs the question, how do we judge Gardiner and Rielly? Based on what we believe they become, or what their top potential is?

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I Believe

As good as Gardiner's rookie season was, Phaneuf put up 20 goals/49 points in his.

Phaneuf->Rielly->Gardiner for me

I think Phaneuf's turning the corner a bit and can see plenty more 50+ point seasons from him.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Considering one just finished his first year, and one was just drafted, this is pretty much impossible to say.

It also begs the question, which Phaneuf do we count as prime? The year that he scored a bunch and did big hits, which led to his Norris nomination? Or now, when he is better all-around, but not putting up the same kind of points?

It also begs the question, how do we judge Gardiner and Rielly? Based on what we believe they become, or what their top potential is?
We prognosticate all the time on the boards, not sure why this thread is so different?

Based on what we know of each player, what their potential is, an what type of player they are, which of them will be the better defenseman?

I've got money on DP. At the end of the day, he comes across as the more complete player.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
We prognosticate all the time on the boards, not sure why this thread is so different?

Based on what we know of each player, what their potential is, an what type of player they are, which of them will be the better defenseman?

I've got money on DP. At the end of the day, he comes across as the more complete player.
We have a hard enough time deciding which of two players with different styles of play are better, such as Suter vs. Weber. And they are playing right next to each other.

We have a hard enough time deciding which of two players, one who is established, and one who is a prospect/young player, is better, such as Seguin vs. Kessel.

Now we are mixing that all into one question, with players playing in different leagues, and not even playing the full season, and adding another player? It just makes it so convoluted that it is pointless.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
This. I don't know how anyone can say Phaneuf's prime was his Norris nomination year, he was just a 22 year old at the time. Though that was easily his best year and he will always be a better player than Gardiner.
One could easily argue, with statistical proof, that Gardiner was better than Phaneuf this year. It's certainly very close, so I won't say one way or another, but Gardiner is far closer to Phaneuf's abilities than you seem to think. It shouldn't shock anyone to see Gardiner become the better player (comparable at the very least) in the future.

Edit: I should note that I do not expect Gardiner to become the Norris runner-up, but I also don't expect Dion to return to that form. I could, of course, be wrong. It is obviously possible that either of them could become something I don't forsee (or, in Dion's case, return to his 'old' form).

Last edited by 91Kadri91: 08-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
91Kadri91 is online now   Reply With Quote