HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf vs Gardiner vs Rielly

Old
08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
I hope its Rielly, i.e. best is yet to come.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
LOL. Easily Phaneuf, I don't see either Rielly or Gardiner putting up a 60 point season with 182 PIMs and being second in Norris voting.
Rielly has the potential to put up 60 points and be second in Norris voting. 182 PIMs? Not so much.

Although I think Phaneuf's prime will be hard to beat. He was very good during his early years with Calgary.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

There's not many defenceman in the league that are better players than Phanuef was his first three years in Calgary. That said I'd be down to move Phaneuf before Rielly or Gardiner.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
Wow. I really hope that Rielly is a HOFer because that's the only way he's going to live up to this fan bases expectations.
Why do you say that? Just cuz some posters predict/project that he will end up being better then a couple other players isn't necessarily the same as calling him the next Bobby Orr. Methinks you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulie View Post
Easily Phaneuf. If Gardiner or Rielly ever put up 60 points or be nominated for the Norris, I'll be ecstatic.
pretty much 100% agree. phaneuf is the only possible answer to this question right now.

nobody here knows anything about morgan rielly, except the fact the leafs drafted him 5th overall.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
Why do you say that? Just cuz some posters predict/project that he will end up being better then a couple other players isn't necessarily the same as calling him the next Bobby Orr. Methinks you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Not really, there's quite a few posters here placing Rielly above Phaneuf.

What everyone forgets is Phaneuf's prime is at least a 60 point, 182 PIM, Norris candidate season...as eluded above, there are few defenceman in the league today that can compare adequately...

So, to say "Rielly easily" or to even expect that his prime will be better, are quite high expectations.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:03 PM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
pretty much 100% agree. phaneuf is the only possible answer to this question right now.

nobody here knows anything about morgan rielly, except the fact the leafs drafted him 5th overall.
Well you know there is this league called the WHL that people out west tend to watch.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post

What everyone forgets is Phaneuf's prime is at least a 60 point, 182 PIM, Norris candidate season...as eluded above, there are few defenceman in the league today that can compare adequately...

So, to say "Rielly easily" or to even expect that his prime will be better, are quite high expectations.
Dion's prime is yet to come.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Kulemon

Rielly.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Well you know there is this league called the WHL that people out west tend to watch.
i don't think its a stretch to say that 99% of people commenting here have never seen morgan rielly play a whl game.

but the leafs drafted him 5th overall, so he's going to be amazing.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Maybe, that's all I said...

The "prime" of their career is their best seasons...that could have already happened, but who wouldn't want it not to be?...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:20 PM
robdicks

Quote:
The majority seem to have him pegged as better than Phaneuf and better than Gardiner. He hasn't even played an NHL preseason game yet. If he can turn into a top 4 d-man I would be stoked.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post

I haven't really seen anyone place Rielly above Phaneuf by anyone in this thread. I have seen many of them guess that Rielly in his prime will be better then Phaneuf was or has been in his prime. Two completely different things.

So there are a few posters projecting that Riellys prime will be better then Phaneufs and maybe those are high expectations. But that is hardly enough information to make the statement that he will need to be a HOFer to meet expectations. That type of comment IS making a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
The majority seem to have him pegged as better than Phaneuf and better than Gardiner. He hasn't even played an NHL preseason game yet. If he can turn into a top 4 d-man I would be stoked.
So what? No one is saying he is better right now which is what you are saying. They are guessing that in his prime he will be the best of the three. Different subject matters.

What if Phaneufs prime does end up being his one 60 point season and Riellys primes ends up being 5 seasons of 50+ points? Who has the better prime in that scenario?

So as I said making the comment that Rielly will need to be a HOFer to meet expectations was a severe exaggeration and was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:48 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
I haven't really seen anyone place Rielly above Phaneuf by anyone in this thread. I have seen many of them guess that Rielly in his prime will be better then Phaneuf was or has been in his prime. Two completely different things.

So there are a few posters projecting that Riellys prime will be better then Phaneufs and maybe those are high expectations. But that is hardly enough information to make the statement that he will need to be a HOFer to meet expectations. That type of comment IS making a mountain out of a molehill.

So what? No one is saying he is better right now which is what you are saying. They are guessing that in his prime he will be the best of the three. Different subject matters.

What if Phaneufs prime does end up being his one 60 point season and Riellys primes ends up being 5 seasons of 50+ points? Who has the better prime in that scenario?

So as I said making the comment that Rielly will need to be a HOFer to meet expectations was a severe exaggeration and was making a mountain out of a molehill.
Well said. Although I do hope Rielly becomes a hall of famer

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:30 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

if gardiner and rielly come close to being as good as phaneuf then the leafs will have the best blueline in the league

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:42 AM
bunjay

Gardiner has the pure skating ability to be as good as he wants, because he can handle the puck just fine at top speed. He's got Niedermayer written all over him.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Gardiner will surpass Phaneuf's high water mark in a few years, maybe not scoring 20 goals but equivalent offensive production while being far, far better in other ways.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:44 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Phaneuf's skating is worse than it was in his first seasons.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
There's not many defenceman in the league that are better players than Phanuef was his first three years in Calgary. That said I'd be down to move Phaneuf before Rielly or Gardiner.
So you would rather have a prospect who we can ONLY hope to become as good as Phaneuf. A metaphor to explain to simpletons:

Phaneuf is a 100 dollar bill.
Reilly is a 30 dollar bill that has a chance to become slightly more than a 100 dollar bill.

At the moment I would ship out Reilly and Gardiner before Phaneuf. Is it possible for Reilly or Gardiner to be better than Phaneuf? Yes but it is more than likely that they do not. Just to let you know, not all prospects reach their potential and saying that you would rather ship out Phaneuf before Reilly or Gardiner is just plain infantile reasoning.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
if gardiner and rielly come close to being as good as phaneuf then the leafs will have the best blueline in the league
this.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
This. I don't know how anyone can say Phaneuf's prime was his Norris nomination year, he was just a 22 year old at the time. Though that was easily his best year and he will always be a better player than Gardiner.
I disagree that Phaneuf will always be better. I guess it depends on how good you think he is now because I don't expect him to improve much, and certainly not to be the guy he was in Calgary. A useful player, but not a true #1 D on a strong club.

Gardner played sheltered minutes, with no physical aspect to his game, and had a good rookie year. Before we know his top end, I think he has to string two good years together in a row, because the sophomore jinx has not been kind to the Leafs in recent years. Gunnar looked like a future stud his rookie year.

Jake is still a long way away from ever becoming a #1 guy, even on a bad team. I think he compares to Kaberle at the same age(really closely actually), altho Kab's club was much stronger, so if he hits 40 points next year maybe that is the guy he could become, and if so, Kaberle at his best was better than Phaneuf has been in TO. I don't think Phaneuf has had his best Toronto years yet though, so that kind of confuses things and I think he is more likely to have a couple of more solid years, than Gardiner is to be Kaberle 2.0.

Reilly's top end is clearly the best. He already skates as well as Gardiner and was physically stronger at 17 than Gardiner at 21. Doughty? Bourque? The sky is really the limit for him. However he is a teenager coming off of a career to date of 46 points in 83 Junior games. I wouldn't bet the farm that he is even going to be a successful NHL player until he has done a lot more. Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, or one of four or so other D taken this year could turn out to be way better. Lets see a training camp, a healthy Junior year, a WJHC, and a Memorial Cup tournament.

Pure Potential
Rielly> Phaneuf> Gardiner

Bet your junk on it
Phaneuf> Rielly>Gardiner

Bet my junk on it
Phaneuf> Gardiner> ....................Rielly

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:12 PM
darrylsittler27

I don't care how he played in Calgary.

He isn't the same player now.Maybe the NHL got more mobile,maybe other teams figured him out.Reilly has the most potential,Gardiner is the safer bet and Phanueff is yesterday's news.He isn't a number one Dman anymore.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:39 PM
GhettoHockey

phanuef is definitely a safer statistical choice... but lets not forget the type of player Dion really is.. what calgary was complaining about when he was traded away:

in a seriously competitive hockey games dion will be great!!! Then that weird moment will come like it always did in calgary where dion gets beat to the outside on a soft play... where as Schenn or Reilly would just take the body... and Gardiner will just use his stick like a Lidstrom type of D would....

if you wanna win the CUP you need a mix of gardiner and reilly types on ur team not McCabe types like dion is!!!

GhettoHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoHockey View Post
if you wanna win the CUP you need a mix of gardiner and reilly types on ur team not McCabe types like dion is!!!
Phaneuf will be a better player when his d partner is closer to his skill level. He needs to be a scoring option, not a quasi distrubuter. McCabe wouldn't have been as effective without Kaberle in his prime. We essentially have a McCabe without a Kaberle. Rielly looks like he could be that guy.

Let's remember a McCabe type (McCabe himself) brought us to the semi finals.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:54 PM
glasses91

a combination of the three will impress in the near future.
id like to sign franson aswell please and thank you.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Anth93

Truth is like some have already pointed out, a young and prime Phaneuf should be the best.. Going forward I would say,

Gardiner
Phaneuf
Rielly

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote