HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks and Burrows - Agent hoping to negotiate deal today (Sep 14)

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 500
man, burrows and edler are our last significant under-value contracts .... going to be harder and harder to keep an the squad elite-level unless we can get some young blood in there on ELCs. More to the urgency of Gillis getting a good young player for Luo

Old
09-07-2012, 05:16 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
is that supposed to be a good thing
Perhaps that was not the proper way to put it. My point would be that by the time Marchand reaches Burrows age he will be in line (all things being equal) for an even richer contract and yet they both bring similar things to the table...but Burrows brings more.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Hammman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Every time this thread is bumped, my heart leaps because I think he's agreed to a contract.
Every time I dread that it's just going to be more endless debate about the existence (or lack thereof) of clutchness.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
man, burrows and edler are our last significant under-value contracts
Our lineup is littered with great contracts. Dan Hamhuis plays like a #1 D-man for the price of a second pairing guy, same with Bieksa. Garrison could do this as well.

While other teams have been handing out 3m+ to good 3rd liners, we have Hansen and Higgins outplaying them at 1/2 and 2/3 that money.

Kesler and the twins are both significantly underpaid for superstars.

Cory Schneider will be a steal @ 4m

The contracts that Gillis signs (not the ones he trades for) are easily the best in the league and a huge part of our success. I expect that to continue.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Our lineup is littered with great contracts. Dan Hamhuis plays like a #1 D-man for the price of a second pairing guy, same with Bieksa. Garrison could do this as well.

While other teams have been handing out 3m+ to good 3rd liners, we have Hansen and Higgins outplaying them at 1/2 and 2/3 that money.

The contracts that Gillis signs (not the ones he trades for) are easily the best in the league and a huge part of our success. I expect that to continue.
I'm not sure if they're easiest the best in the league, but they're good. I'll judge him again once he has both Burrows and Edler signed for reasonable deals. One might argue that Schneider at 4mil isn't exactly a steal, same goes for Garrison. Until these players perform in a key roll for this team, the jury is out.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:45 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

I think Gillis and Chiarelli are definitely up there.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
man, burrows and edler are our last significant under-value contracts .... going to be harder and harder to keep an the squad elite-level unless we can get some young blood in there on ELCs. More to the urgency of Gillis getting a good young player for Luo
I think Gillis already realizes this. Hence, the Kassian deal. He could have targeted a vet, but was instead rumoured to have liked 6 _young_ players. All similar in age to Kassian.

Gillis is trying to infuse this core with youth. Kassian is the beginning. And hopefully, as you've said, more good prospects are on the way.

All that said, these are also the last guys that need to be locked up. Meaning, he doesn't have to worry too much about big future increases to salary. Stuff that might jeopardize the core structure moving forward. Not unless one of his ELCs really breaks out...

Old
09-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Alflives

This is good news, providing Burrows does not receive a no-trade clause. He should be signed and traded for a younger version of himself. Perhaps not this year, but certainly before his skills fall off any more than they have already (clearly) have.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Hielo Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
This is good news, providing Burrows does not receive a no-trade clause. He should be signed and traded for a younger version of himself. Perhaps not this year, but certainly before his skills fall off any more than they have already (clearly) have.
and what does that say about the canucks as an organisation? the majority of the fan base wants burrows to retire as a canuck.

Old
09-10-2012, 08:32 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Uh, what?

Old
09-10-2012, 08:44 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Sorry, I may have missed something. What is the good news?

Old
09-11-2012, 01:00 AM
14s incisor

Quote:
Can't tell if serious...?

Old
09-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Bougieman

Can't be serious.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Can't tell if serious...?
I am completely serious. No trade clauses, for players of Burrows level, are bad for the future of an organization. One of Mike Gillis' jobs is to find players who are better than the ones he currently has, and move the ones he has out to make space available for the better ones. For example Sneider and Luongo. Luongo is still great, but Snieder is better.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:44 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
I am completely serious. No trade clauses, for players of Burrows level, are bad for the future of an organization. One of Mike Gillis' jobs is to find players who are better than the ones he currently has, and move the ones he has out to make space available for the better ones. For example Sneider and Luongo. Luongo is still great, but Snieder is better.
I think they are talking about the 'clearly' declining skill level.

Burrows hasn't equalled his goal scoring totals from a couple of years ago but it could easily be attributed to his linemates or the drop in scoring in the Western Conference; there hasn't been a visible drop in Burrows' game on the ice so in my opinion at least the numbers could be explained by some other factor.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I think they are talking about the 'clearly' declining skill level.

Burrows hasn't equalled his goal scoring totals from a couple of years ago but it could easily be attributed to his linemates or the drop in scoring in the Western Conference; there hasn't been a visible drop in Burrows' game on the ice so in my opinion at least the numbers could be explained by some other factor.
I must repeat his skill level is declining, as it does with all athletes as they age beyond their prime years; it's one of the natural progressions of time. Are the Sedins the players they were 2 or 3 years ago? No they are not, but they are still great players, who could not be replaced (yet). Burrows can (and will) be replaced by a younger player. It's the way of sport.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Verviticus

"and whats the deal with retards? eugenics were theorized ages ago. whats the hold up!?" - one of Alflives lesser known positions

Old
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
"and whats the deal with retards? eugenics were theorized ages ago. whats the hold up!?" - one of Alflives lesser known positions
No idea what you're trying to say.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
I must repeat his skill level is declining, as it does with all athletes as they age beyond their prime years; it's one of the natural progressions of time. Are the Sedins the players they were 2 or 3 years ago? No they are not, but they are still great players, who could not be replaced (yet). Burrows can (and will) be replaced by a younger player. It's the way of sport.
While I understand your position, what you fail to consider is how future players will consider you as a GM. Does Hamhuis sign here if he fears being traded after his prime? Same with Garrison.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
CanuckLuck

I don't see the Sedins play declining at all...Actually I see them as getting better and better each of the last 3 years. Shouldn't just look at the numbers. Datsyuk is probably the best player in the Western Conference but his #'s are never all that impressive. And to top it off, I think the Sedins are going to take it to the next level in the post-season.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
I don't see the Sedins play declining at all...Actually I see them as getting better and better each of the last 3 years. Shouldn't just look at the numbers. Datsyuk is probably the best player in the Western Conference but his #'s are never all that impressive. And to top it off, I think the Sedins are going to take it to the next level in the post-season.
I think you're being a bit optimistic here. The Sedins aren't going to get better and better, they've peaked. Personally, I see nothing wrong with that. I expect them to return to 90+ point form this season, and to be PPG in the playoffs. Last long run they got awful match ups (Keith/Seabrook, Weber/Suter, Chara/Seindenburg) so I'd say their slightly below PPG numbers were acceptable that year.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Bleach Clean

My favourite Canuck players are Burrows and Higgins. Cannot envision the team without them. Hope both get signed to great deals, as they are glue guys that are very difficult to replace.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think you're being a bit optimistic here. The Sedins aren't going to get better and better, they've peaked. Personally, I see nothing wrong with that. I expect them to return to 90+ point form this season, and to be PPG in the playoffs. Last long run they got awful match ups (Keith/Seabrook, Weber/Suter, Chara/Seindenburg) so I'd say their slightly below PPG numbers were acceptable that year.
Oh no! i'm being optimistic! It's a pity more people aren't.

But yes, I do think they've peaked in terms of skill level as well; But I also see the Sedins take considerable steps at improving what their nay-sayers seem to criticize them for year after year. They are fantastic at proving people wrong and I thnk they'll continue to do so.

Right now their biggest criticism is their compete level in the playoffs. In the brief 5 games last year, I think we saw a whole new Sedin...it's just too bad there wasn't a large enough sample size.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:55 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
My favourite Canuck players are Burrows and Higgins. Cannot envision the team without them. Hope both get signed to great deals, as they are glue guys that are very difficult to replace.
Love Higgins as well. He does everything really well. needs to stay a part of this teams core.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Higgins is expendable and has good value in this league. He'd be a great trade piece if need be.

Closed Thread