HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks and Burrows - Agent hoping to negotiate deal today (Sep 14)

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 12:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Short term (1-2 years) I'd have no hesitation paying Burrows $5+ million. He's almost as valuable as Kesler is to this team, and Kesler is a bargain at $5 million right now.

Longer term though, I wouldn't. For 3+ years, I wouldn't pay more than $4.5 million.
So structure the deal as follows:

7M
7M
5M
3M
3M
2M

08-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I really don't think we should go over 4 years with Burrows unless it drastically reduces the cap hit.

4 year deal: 7,4,4,2 (4 yrs at 4.25mil)

Under this same structure, I'd be happy with us throwing on an extra year at 1 million. This would bring it to a 5 year deal with a 3.6mil cap hit.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Burritscold
it sure is!

Give him whatever he wants!

Old
08-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Short term (1-2 years) I'd have no hesitation paying Burrows $5+ million. He's almost as valuable as Kesler is to this team, and Kesler is a bargain at $5 million right now.

Longer term though, I wouldn't. For 3+ years, I wouldn't pay more than $4.5 million.
In our salary structure, Burrows isn't worth what Kesler makes. When Burrows posts 70+ points or wins a Selke I'd be glad to re-visit the subject, but until then he should make less than Kesler. I understand inflation, even still, Burrows should not make more than him. I'd give Burrows a cap of 4.6mil on a 3 year deal, and I'd shoot for 4mil on a 4 year deal.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:57 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
In our salary structure, Burrows isn't worth what Kesler makes. When Burrows posts 70+ points or wins a Selke I'd be glad to re-visit the subject, but until then he should make less than Kesler. I understand inflation, even still, Burrows should not make more than him. I'd give Burrows a cap of 4.6mil on a 3 year deal, and I'd shoot for 4mil on a 4 year deal.
unfortunately, in the real world (read: the NHL job market, not the real real world), kesler isn't worth what kesler makes either.

i doubt burrows is going to take too much below market this time around.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Vajakki

I'm kind of torn between. On the other hand I really like the guy and appreciate everything he has done to the organisation and think he's very important piece to the current team, but on the other hand he probably wouldn't score 20 goals if he wasn't playing with Sedins. Also he's 32 next summer and him being fairly poor natural skater, one would assume when he starts declining his effectiveness will drop a lot.

Burrows is a tremendous complimentary player for this current team. But I just don't see him being that effective in the near future, mostly because of his age and the way the team core is aging aswell. Having Burrows on a big money contract when the Sedins are no longer with the team would end up looking really bad (with Burrows being ~35 at that time also).

Old
08-17-2012, 05:46 PM
14s incisor
Marchand's dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
I'm kind of torn between. On the other hand I really like the guy and appreciate everything he has done to the organisation and think he's very important piece to the current team, but on the other hand he probably wouldn't score 20 goals if he wasn't playing with Sedins. Also he's 32 next summer and him being fairly poor natural skater, one would assume when he starts declining his effectiveness will drop a lot.

Burrows is a tremendous complimentary player for this current team. But I just don't see him being that effective in the near future, mostly because of his age and the way the team core is aging aswell. Having Burrows on a big money contract when the Sedins are no longer with the team would end up looking really bad (with Burrows being ~35 at that time also).
He'd still be a 20g/20a, great two-way forward playing with 2nd/3rd line talent. The guy just finds ways to get points even when he's taken off the Sedin line, and they're usually clutch points.

They need to give him a retirement contract—wouldn't be able to handle seeing him in another jersey.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:19 PM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

I want to ask people here...
Is it only me, but do you guys feel Burrows looked slower the last 2 seasons?

He is still effective, and he works well with the Sedins, but I don't think he can forecheck as well as before.
I wouldn't mind giving him a new deal, but I think he is slowing down.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Ched Brosky

highest I'd go is 4.25M if I was Gillis. Without the Sedins he's more of a 20 goal 40 point player who is elite defensively. Should be fair value for both sides.

Realistically though 3.75M-4M is a perfect cap hit thats a great deal for the Canucks and high enough for Burrows to accept. 3.5M being ideal for the team.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:54 PM
14s incisor
Marchand's dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
I want to ask people here...
Is it only me, but do you guys feel Burrows looked slower the last 2 seasons?

He is still effective, and he works well with the Sedins, but I don't think he can forecheck as well as before.
I wouldn't mind giving him a new deal, but I think he is slowing down.
No, I don't agree. In 10/11 he had a bit of a slow start after his injury, but that's about it.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Burrows has never had elite speed, he plays fast because of his motor. I wouldn't say he's slowing down as much as the set plays that line uses just don't work anymore. Teams know the puck is going in Burrs corner and they've come up with ways to alleviate the pressure.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:44 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
This just in - media vote the Selke.

Not a knock on Kesler, but even the year he won it he didn't deserve it. He clearly deserved it the year prior.

Selke trophy is a cherry on top of Kesler's 3 excellent seasons prior to winning the award.

The award doesn't make you any better defensively.

You don't pay burrows fair value, which is probably the 4.6 you're claiming, he walks.

And he walks if you don't give him 5 or 6 years.

Give him Bieksa's exact contract and call it a job well done.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:17 PM
nuckfan insk

id try to get a 8-9 year deal while i still can.
9 years 3.75 = 33.75

8 mil
5 mil
5mil

this would be my goal. and a good offer for burrows. oh id throw in a ntc too

Old
08-17-2012, 08:42 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan insk View Post
id try to get a 8-9 year deal while i still can.
9 years 3.75 = 33.75

8 mil
5 mil
5mil

this would be my goal. and a good offer for burrows. oh id throw in a ntc too
You want Burrows signed until he's 40?

Old
08-17-2012, 08:45 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 400
12million for 2 years. Re-assess when the Sedin's contract runs out.

Too bad that offer wouldn't entice Burrows enough.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:37 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
If the playoffs are worth anything, Burrows should be our highest paid player.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post

I'm sure it would. That's a high number.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
14s incisor
Marchand's dangles

Quote:

I don't see how that wouldn't entice Burrows.

I'm as big a Burrows fan as there is, but even I don't think he'll get offers over $5.5 million/season if he hits UFA status.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post

I'm as big a Burrows fan as there is, but even I don't think he'll get offers over $5.5 million/season if he hits UFA status.
2 years isn't enough security.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:11 PM
billvanseattle

[QUOTE=y2kcanucks;53649987]Why are these retirement contracts ridiculous?? I think they're only ridiculous because people don't understand that the player is likely to retire before it expires, thus the long term benefit greatly outweighs the downside.

Yeah I understand, the point is that I want players to sign contracts that they will play through the end of. burrows is a great player ... but he is not elite .... sign him to a contract that reqards him for the great cap deal to date, but make it worth his while to play to the end of his contract ....

Old
08-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Wisp

Burrows scores the same amount even strength as Corey Perry. This is a ridiculous asset that I don't think is replaceable.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
every asset other than the very best player in the league is replaceable, but it would cost too much to do so if we let burrows walk

signing him to a contract that is too expensive would cost less in the long run than letting him go

Old
08-18-2012, 01:01 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post

I'm sure he can get a long term (4years? at around 4million at the least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98 View Post
I'm sure it would. That's a high number.
Only way for him to sign at 2 year deal . However, like I said above, I think he can get a longer deal

Old
08-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Is is some failed attempt at humor?
If it is, it's a pretty sad one.

Burrows is my fave Canuck, and my fave NHL player. I'd be heartbroken to see him go. He's also one of the very few players we have that shows up, time and time again, in huge games. He's the heart and soul of this team. He's the guy you look to when we absolutely MUST score that next goal. We have bigger stars, but we don't have a better player.

Old
08-18-2012, 04:33 AM
14s incisor
Marchand's dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
2 years isn't enough security.
At $6million/season it is, Especially if the Canucks offer it. Even at inflated UFA prices, I doubt he'll see $6million from any other team.

It's not like he would have a difficult time getting another decent contract after those two years @ $6 were up, either.

Quote:
I'm sure he can get a long term (4years? at around 4million at the least)
I hope, and prefer, that the Canucks offer him a long term deal in the $4-5 million/season range, rather than two years @6, but you'd have to think, even on a two year deal, that $6million would be enticing to Burrows.

Closed Thread