HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which players have breakout/bounceback seasons?

View Poll Results: Which players bounce back/ break out?
Ryan Kesler 32 42.11%
Mason Raymond 23 30.26%
Keith Ballard 23 30.26%
Chris Tanev 25 32.89%
Manny Malhotra 13 17.11%
Zack Kassian 43 56.58%
David Booth 34 44.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Vestral

vCash: 500
Voted Kesler, Ballard, and Kassian.

Kesler: Same reasons everyone has mentioned. Probably ends up roughly halfway between last year and the year before production wise.

Ballard: IMO, he has played a lot better since winning the fastest skater competition at the all-star break (more confidence?). Unfortunately, he got injured and didn't play much after that. His somewhat improved play toward the end of last year + playing consistently + playing with Tanev will hopefully turn some heads.

Kassian: He's been working hard this off-season and he's young so some improvement is expected. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm expecting a big leap forward.

Not expecting a ton from the others but maybe a little improvement for some.
Raymond can't be any worse than last year (small improvement?).
Booth maybe slightly improved production due to Kesler.
Tanev steady improvement but no huge leap forward.
Malhotra probably the same as last year (which isn't as bad as many think imo).

Vestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:26 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestral View Post
Voted Kesler, Ballard, and Kassian.

Kesler: Same reasons everyone has mentioned. Probably ends up roughly halfway between last year and the year before production wise.

Ballard: IMO, he has played a lot better since winning the fastest skater competition at the all-star break (more confidence?). Unfortunately, he got injured and didn't play much after that. His somewhat improved play toward the end of last year + playing consistently + playing with Tanev will hopefully turn some heads.

Kassian: He's been working hard this off-season and he's young so some improvement is expected. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm expecting a big leap forward.
Made the same votes for the same reasons.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:44 AM
VanCanucks14

Well there's nowhere left to go but up for Raymond...I mean it can't possibly get worse right? RIGHT??

Hopefully Kesler and Kassian though. Big seasons from them would benefit the team the most. Manny too would be great just because he's such a nice guy off ice.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:46 AM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
I am more concerned about who will stumble if there is a season

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Steveorama

I know this board is very down on Raymond...but I like a lot of the things he did his first month back from a very serious injury. He wore down quickly (not surprising, given how dryland training and camp were affected), but with a full summer of conditioning, I would be shocked if he does not score 20+ goals.
Hopefully, it is for the Canucks and not another team.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Mason Raymond with 30 goals and 25 assists.
Impossible. To those saying Raymond, keep in mind his ES scoring hasn't dropped off much during the past two years. In fact, it went up in the year after his 50 point season. The problem with Raymond is he had his PP time severely cut when we stacked the 1st unit, and I don't foresee that changing. Because of that, I don't think Raymond will surpass ~40 points. Personally, I'm fine with that as long as most of those points are ES points.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I think Kassian will break-out, and I actually think Booth will silence his critics with a full season in a Canuck uniform.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
DJOpus

I think Jordan Schroeder will have a breakout season...why isn't he on the list?

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:43 AM
billvanseattle

Voted Kassian, but really hope the whole squad comes out with an urgency this year.

Also think its time a number of the draft picks get a look - Schroeder and Jensen are old enough to get some minutes at this level, almost every successful team since the lockout has had some rookie contributon ....

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Kesler: Really didn't go on too much of a hot streak at any time last year. That's how he produces and I suspect he will by fully recovering this time.

Raymond: Not expecting 55 points from him. Expecting him to be utilized to match his strengths. No longer relied upon to generate a ton of offense, he'll become an excellent 2-way forward. Will solidify himself as a great bottom 6 forward who can slide up to the second line in a pinch.

Edler: He wasn't on the list but I see this as the year his defensive and offensive games finally mesh. Having a guy like Garrison as his partner will give him the stability that an aging Salo could no longer provide. His game is based on confidence and I think he lost a lot of it over the course of the season with our abysmal defensive play team-wide.

As for Malhotra, he's probably done as an impact player.

Kassian will have tantalizing moments of brilliance but not be able to sustain it for long stretches.

Booth basically put up the kinds of numbers he did pre-concussion. Just that the knee injury de-railed him for a bit, expect him to keep up the same kind of play with possibly better developed chemistry with Kes.

Tanev is just not a good offensive player and it's not just his shot. He just doesn't look comfortable in the offensive zone, period. Where I expect him to improve is his physicality along the boards and around the net. If he can do that, he has top 4 upside.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:08 AM
sully1410

Kassian is gonna rock the casbah this season.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I think Jordan Schroeder will have a breakout season...why isn't he on the list?
My bad on forgetting about him. He may not even play, though, but I should have added him.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Kesler booth and kassian

Although I would really like to see Ballard put up some points

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote