HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else think a lockout/shortened season will help the 'Nucks?

Old
08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
IComeInPeace

vCash: 500
A healthy Ryan Kesler is a HUGE difference maker for this team. Without him we not only don't have secondary scoring, it is also much easier to key on the Sedins.

Anything that helps Kesler return to top form is a huge benefit to this club.

For that reason alone, a shortened season definitely works in our favor.

Also, in a short season, teams falling out of contention will tend to panic sooner. There will also be increased pressure to ice a better product coming out of a lockout. I think that will work to our advantage with respect to the Luongo situation (I don't think there is much chance at all of him being moved before the season starts).

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:05 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Stanley Cup Winners 2012/2013, Vancouver Canucks*

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:50 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

A lockout benefits a team like the Oilers 10x more than it benefits the Canucks.

All their young studs have more time to develop, possibly playing in Europe against higher caliber players, etc.

See Eric Staal during the last lockout where he went from a 30 point rookie season to a 100 point season following the lockout year where he played in Europe.

As one of the best teams in the league, the Canucks time is now, and while there may be some positive things you can spin from a lockout, every other team in the NHL will benefit more from it than the Canucks, therefore making a lockout detrimental to the Canucks in the end.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Hammer79

There's one more negative I thought of. If the owners are successful in lowering the cap, that's a disadvantage to high revenue teams that spend to the cap every year like Vancouver.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Dado

vCash:
Don't see it making a meaningful difference, one way or the other.

Old
08-18-2012, 04:12 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 61
If Don Cherry is right (when isn't he? LOL!) and the lockout is over after two months the Canucks can benefit is some key areas, like Kesler's recovery.

If they try to get a lot of games into a compressed time frame, then I think the Canucks are in pretty good shape. Compressed scheduling leads to unfortunate travel itineraries and back to back games. Having two starting goalies might mitigate this.

As an aside, I think a sixty game schedule ought to lead to some good hockey. A lot of teams can stay in contention by playing for ties and placement should go right down to the last game. The teams should also bring a lot of energy into the playoffs! I can't see these circumstances hindering the Canucks at all.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
A lockout benefits a team like the Oilers 10x more than it benefits the Canucks.
How is it going to benefit a young team with little NHL experience by not playing for 2 months rather than a team who has gone the distance and had some key players injured last year?

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
How is it going to benefit a young team with little NHL experience by not playing for 2 months rather than a team who has gone the distance and had some key players injured last year?
A longer lockout could benefit underdog teams in general because all they have to do is go on a short hot streak. The underdog could punch their ticket to the playoffs because there isn't enough time to expose them as would normally happen over a longer season.

The Canucks offseason was long enough this year for everyone except Kesler. If the lockout gets resolved around Xmas, the Canucks could actually benefit because they don't need to find a stop-gap 2C. If it goes longer, it could be bad for this traditionally slow-starting team. They might not have enough race-track to make up for stumbling out of the gate if the season is very short.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Siludin

A lockout would benefit the Canucks?

Another full lockout would be pretty rough for the league, but one which only sees the first month or two of the season eaten away may not be all too bad for the Canucks.

Ryan Kesler would likely be as healthy as can be, and many of our prospects and players on two-way deals would have already had some good start-up time in the AHL (Schroeder, Tanev, Connauton, Rodin, etc), and would hopefully be ready to step into the Canucks roster if need be.

And by April, the Canucks won't be nearly as tired and will probably be at that point in the season where they've historically been winning a ton of games (that post-all-star time), right in time for the playoffs!

It would also mean more time to get a deal done for Luongo before the season starts.

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

**** no

the sedins, burrows.... are already pretty old and are aging, we dont want them to take one year off and come back again and be like what 33?

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:18 PM
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

vCash: 50
Our window is closing.

Lockout benefits teams like the Oilers / Panthers / Islanders; not elite teams in their (collective) prime.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:18 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

I wonder if all of this rest and developmental time would benefit other teams.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
dave babych returns

Wasn't there just another thread like this?

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Pads View Post
**** no

the sedins, burrows.... are already pretty old and are aging, we dont want them to take one year off and come back again and be like what 33?
I'm only talking about a lockout of one or two months... bringing us into November or December...

Old
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I wonder if all of this rest and developmental time would benefit other teams.
You'd have to break each team down by how many injuries, and how long, and to how critical of players.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:24 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
I'm only talking about a lockout of one or two months... bringing us into November or December...
A lockout to benefit Kesler. Interesting.

A Canucks Stanley Cup in a shortened season would have an asterisk put beside it.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:27 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Does Gregory Campbell have any nagging injuries?

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

A Canucks Stanley Cup in a shortened season would have an asterisk put beside it.
Would it actually?

Also I don't care a Cup is a Cup!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
CM-

Quote:

Just like the Devils Cup win in 95? Wait a minute...

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Wisp

Quote:
We're so hated they'll put an asterix beside it no matter how we win. "Shortened season," is much more polite than "diving pieces of crap."

I'll take Lord Stanley in anyway I can get him.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

The only way they'd do that is if the fans did. You'd actually be surprised how much of our fans' view of the team impacts how other fans see our team.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Strike shortened season helps us in 3 ways

1 - Kes will miss much less of the season if any. Because the depth down the middle after Kes is unproven, striking the first 20-25 games off the official record is not so bad.

2 - Luongo trade value could go up - some teams could find themselves out of contention after only 20 games so going into a strike shortened season with unproven goaltending is highly risky.

3 - IMO, Canucks need 2-3 players to step up yet have few if any NHL ready prospects as of right now - basically there is a void in the 2006 to 2008 draft years. A few months of seasoning playing AHL+ hockey could give mgmt a much better idea of who might surprise and be ready early and who might not, and let them pursue trades accordingly. Ex. Corrado surprises and is ready = need for right side D is less pressing.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Lockout? No.
Shortened season? Yes.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:59 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

As much as it pains me to miss games, the Nucks suck in October anyways. That month you can just throw out the window.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:48 PM
kcunac

In addition to giving Kesler more time to heal, Schneider a lighter work load, and more time to trade Luongo, I think a shortened season could benefit teams who are very comfortable playing together and don't need extra time to gel. I think it could benefit us, but also other contenders. I think health is also an area of concern, so less games means (hopefully) a healthier roster come playoffs. I don't think it helps younger teams who have many rookies who need NHL experience and time to gel.

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote