HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else think a lockout/shortened season will help the 'Nucks?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
  #51
archangel archangel
Registered User
 
archangel archangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
How is it going to benefit a young team with little NHL experience by not playing for 2 months rather than a team who has gone the distance and had some key players injured last year?
Well the year before the last lockout the sedins were being called some pretty nasty things. They go to Europe for that year and came back work beaters

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
  #52
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 400
As a ticketholder, the lockout might mean a reduced preseason schedule, which is great by me. Fewer mean nothing games I'm forced to buy.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
  #53
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Lockout? No.
Shortened season? Yes.
lockout shortened season? maybe.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
  #54
Canucks4CupPrettyPlz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
The Sedins will be a year older. However my view is that players decline not because of their days spent on planet earth, but because of the rigors of playing games in the NHL.
Selanne seemed to do just fine coming out of the last lockout, in fact it seemed to revitalize his career. I could easily see the Sedins coming back after a lockout whether it's a shortened season or one missed altogether in the best physical shape they've ever been in. They are the type of guys that would use the extra time off to work at their craft, and see it as an opportunity rather than a career roadblock.

Canucks4CupPrettyPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
  #55
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Then we win the Cup and everybody disregards it because it was a shortened season. You can say that doesn't bother you now, but it will every time you stumble into an argument with a rival hockey fan. Assuming there is a lockout (fingers crossed there IS NOT), I would rather lose out on the Cup this season and win once we dominate a full season.

Say what you will - it's going to drive you insane when the chirps start up about a lockout Cup win.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
  #56
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,271
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Well the year before the last lockout the sedins were being called some pretty nasty things. They go to Europe for that year and came back work beaters
For a full year. I think the Sedins weren't getting enough ice time or trust or whatever from Crawford because Crawford's love for the WCE. The moment they got about equal ice time as the WCE, they started to really improve.

The Oilers team is pretty much living on Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins and now Yakupov. It's going to take some time, but they'll be a really good team with these players. It doesn't matter if it's a lockout or not, they just need time.

The Canucks will benefit directly by having Kesler out for less games but still giving him his full recovery time - no shortcuts. They are a fairly battered bunch and I can only see good things coming from a bit of an extended summer.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  #57
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
A "shortened" season likely means fewer games yes but it probably also means more concentration of games. Kind of like how the NBA packed in a lot of the season in after christmas after their lockout.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #58
aandbreatheme
Registered User
 
aandbreatheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Then we win the Cup and everybody disregards it because it was a shortened season. You can say that doesn't bother you now, but it will every time you stumble into an argument with a rival hockey fan. Assuming there is a lockout (fingers crossed there IS NOT), I would rather lose out on the Cup this season and win once we dominate a full season.

Say what you will - it's going to drive you insane when the chirps start up about a lockout Cup win.
That's ridiculous. Who cares what a bunch of blowhards on these board have to say? They'll find a way to nullify the Canucks' victory even if they did win in a full season. Besides, you have to win 16 playoff games to win the Cup. What does that have to do with the regular season? And anyways, we've already proven we're a solid "regular season team." Heck, it's what we're pretty much labelled as these days, isn't it?

Most hockey insiders seem to think we'll miss 1-2 months (if there is a lockout), which is basically nothing. It still leaves the Canucks to play more than 4 months of hockey and establish themselves BEFORE the playoffs.

Edit: I find it completely silly that you say you'd rather "lose out on the Cup" and go for it the year after. You're not going to get that many opportunities. You go for it any chance you get.


Last edited by aandbreatheme: 08-28-2012 at 04:54 PM.
aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #59
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,271
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Then we win the Cup and everybody disregards it because it was a shortened season. You can say that doesn't bother you now, but it will every time you stumble into an argument with a rival hockey fan. Assuming there is a lockout (fingers crossed there IS NOT), I would rather lose out on the Cup this season and win once we dominate a full season.

Say what you will - it's going to drive you insane when the chirps start up about a lockout Cup win.
They can say that, because they are a troll. Logic doesn't apply when dealing with one. They all know the score, everyone knows playing a 60-game regular season doesn't effect winning 16 in the playoffs. It's a stupid argument and everyone (at least on the main boards) knows this.

As for driving me insane? I don't really care about trolls.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:45 PM
  #60
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Hf Board trolls? I get in plenty of arguments over hockey outside of the bloody Internet.

You can find it as silly as you want, that's how I feel about winning a Cup if we were to have a legitimate and lengthy lockout.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:07 PM
  #61
aandbreatheme
Registered User
 
aandbreatheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Hf Board trolls? I get in plenty of arguments over hockey outside of the bloody Internet.

You can find it as silly as you want, that's how I feel about winning a Cup if we were to have a legitimate and lengthy lockout.
I just don't get it. It's not like the winner (in the end) got some sort of advantage. Every other team will be subjected to the exact same circumstances. There is no advantage or drawback to any club due to a shortened season. And in the case of the Canucks, what is there to argue exactly? That we wouldn't have made the playoffs if there was a full-season....?

A bit off topic, but did anybody take shots at the Heat or Lebron James when they won in a lockout season? No. All that matters is the playoffs -- the real season/test -- as everyone likes to call it.

I think you'll feel differently once the playoffs start and the triumphs of the regular season become an afterthought.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  #62
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,271
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Hf Board trolls? I get in plenty of arguments over hockey outside of the bloody Internet.

You can find it as silly as you want, that's how I feel about winning a Cup if we were to have a legitimate and lengthy lockout.
Here's how I feel about winning a cup:



16 wins is 16 wins is 16 wins. Nothing changes that. If there's people IRL that actually think otherwise, god have mercy on your soul you need to get away from them because they are not mentally together.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.