HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose NHL 13 thread (DEMO out for XBL, PSN will get it today)

Old
08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
I just noticed Vermette at 73... wut
Woah - I didn't notice that one. That's pretty ridiculous.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
The trouble with the ratings is I'm not convinced they're all done by one team/person. Traditionally, it appears as though there are 30 different people rating each team according to what they think.

How else can you justify Montreal being what appears to be a cup contender, and Ottawa, a playoff team, looks like a 12-15th place team.

I appreciate them changing the rating system to make differences more drastic...but this is so off once again. EA underrates the Senators year after year to the point where it isn't even fun playing them. For the past 5-6 years of the NHL series I never play my favourite team because they aren't remotely competitive.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:57 AM
hockeyfan747

It seems to me that NHL is going back to the 90's era, when they would regularly rate players in the 50's. I like that, 90+ should be superstar tier, 85+ should be great, and 80-85 should be good. Then let the 70's be the average players and the 60's be the below average players. I have wanted this type of rating system for a long time. In previous NHL years the gap between star and superstar was not as large as it should have been. That being said, these ratings are atrocious. I love the idea of having bigger gaps between average and good players, but how EA justifies some of the ratings they have in this game is beyond me. Karlsson rated less than Phaneuf, Ovechkin higher than Malkin, Miller the best goalie in the game, the list goes on and on. This could possibly be the worst year for NHL ratings ever?

hockeyfan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Lyndon Slewidge

They should literally use the boards on this site to get their ratings. Sure people will overvalue there own players but you'd think that would be consistent with every team. They should also use Hockey Future's prospect rating system.

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Just a note to anyone complaining about players like RNH and Cowen being rated lower than older players: you do realize their growth potential is still probably extremely high right?

They changed it from letter based potentials, but using the old game as an example:

Cowen 80 OVR (B, B, B) in a few years maxes out around 90+ OVR
Phillips 83 OVR in a few years retires....

For a single season play through I guess this is annoying, but for something like Be A GM mode it makes sense not to have them start out at 85 OVR with huge potential.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:22 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Just a note to anyone complaining about players like RNH and Cowen being rated lower than older players: you do realize their growth potential is still probably extremely high right?

They changed it from letter based potentials, but using the old game as an example:

For a single season play through I guess this is annoying, but for something like Be A GM mode it makes sense not to have them start out at 85 OVR with huge potential.
You are correct but I think in a lot of instances, the prospect or younger player in question is ALREADY better than the comparison player. For example, Karlsson = Z. Michalek? At 86 OVR, I'm sure they have Karlsson at a B-/B potential all-around which would top him out at a high 80 or low 90, but Karlsson is already better than Z. Michalek. His overall is far too high. Same could be said for a lot of other players.

What I'd like to see is the NHL series (and most of EA Sport's titles in general) adopt a rating system that is much more broad. Only the absolute elite should be near 90. 4th liners are around 60. It's frivolous seeing players 5-10 OVR apart when one is significantly more valuable than the other.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:

Cowen is probably an average second pairing defenseman at this point. It should reflect that. It has him around a #7 defenseman right now with room to grow. It's annoying because it affects online play.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
trashmouth12

The demo is out for XBL Gold Members. Silver will get it in a week.

PSN should update with it this evening. Europeans will most likely get it tomorrow.

trashmouth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

First thoughts on the demo:

Pro's:
- Improved presentation (replays, the removal of after whistle play, crowd animations)
- Skating engine is promising (was worried you'd be able to turn on a dime at full-speed. Not so.)
- NHL Moments is a game mode aside from Be a GM/Be a Pro that doesn't look like a huge waste of time/effort.
- Puck physics seem to be improved (rebound direction, and liveliness in the crease are improved)
- Goalies in general (not so much as playing as one, but the goalie AI is improved. Poke check is actually used frequently and has been made effective)

Con's:
- Playing defense is exponentially more difficult (skating engine hurts defensemen)
- Improved AI is a farce (I continue to see computer AI making horrible, dumb choices on Superstar difficulty)
- Passing (very glad they chose to make passing more difficult and require more accurate movements, but perhaps they went a little too far when it can be a pain to make a simple 2 foot pass at times)
- Skating backwards leading to potential abuse (I am concerned with skating backwards becoming an overused and abused tactic, just like prior titles, in the offensive zone to maintain puck control)

Old
08-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
First thoughts on the demo:
Con's:
- Playing defense is exponentially more difficult (skating engine hurts defensemen)
- Improved AI is a farce (I continue to see computer AI making horrible, dumb choices on Superstar difficulty)
- Passing (very glad they chose to make passing more difficult and require more accurate movements, but perhaps they went a little too far when it can be a pain to make a simple 2 foot pass at times)
- Skating backwards leading to potential abuse (I am concerned with skating backwards becoming an overused and abused tactic, just like prior titles, in the offensive zone to maintain puck control)
Anyone could have predicted that

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
TooLow494

Don't think that I have ever been this excited for a NHL videogame since the skill stick back in 07.

Really interested to see how GM connected will turn out. I have been playing a Gm or season mode type of NHL ever since NHL99 came out.

TooLow494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:01 PM
mrb91

vCash: 149
I didn't love the demo, the new skating engine seemed a little clunky or something. I will of course still buy it because I'm a slave like that.

mrb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:47 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
I'm actually really impressed. The skating engine feels a lot more real than I imagined it would based on the videos. You don't constantly blow around defencemen as a forward. The improved poke-check should make playing D quite a bit easier. I'm fine with the passing as it is now, I didn't have much trouble making short passes but long bombs were interception heavy. The presentation overhaul is nice but I'm more concerned with the real game mechanics. Nice to see goalies reacting a little faster on cross-creases, and making 'desperation' saves a little less often and quite a bit more realistically.

To be seen: how well forwards can exploit pivoting and backward skating online to destroy human defenses.

08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
TooLow494

I highly suggest playing the demo in the new broadcast camera angle. The game looks so much nicer and looks like a live/broadcasted hockey game. Also, spotting the open man (on offense) and catching the backdoor play (on defense) is alot easier in this camera angle. Just make sure to change your controller options to always up!

Old
08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino5000 View Post
I highly suggest playing the demo in the new broadcast camera angle. The game looks so much nicer and looks like a live/broadcasted hockey game. Also, spotting the open man (on offense) and catching the backdoor play (on defense) is alot easier in this camera angle. Just make sure to change your controller options to always up!
Is it easy to get used to?

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:50 AM
TooLow494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Is it easy to get used to?
was for me, i like the greater view of the ice from this vantage point.

Just make sure to switch the controller options to "always up" from camera relative

Old
08-22-2012, 10:51 AM
BK201

whats this pivoting and backwards skating for forwards? can you just check them?

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Spezza = 89
Alfredsson = 85
Michalek = 84
Latendresse = 81
Turris = 80
Greening = 80
Smith = 79
Neil = 79
Regin = 79
Condra = 78
Silfverberg = 78
O'Brien = 77
Daugavins = 75
(Zibanejad = 78)

Karlsson = 94
Gonchar = 82
Phillips = 81
Cowen = 81
Methot = 78
Lundin = 77
Borowiecki = 76

Anderson = 83
Bishop = 79
(Lehner = 78)
Seems about right, Hmmmm i can tell from your list that you have actually watched the sens play before unlike the creators of NHL 13, too bad there wasnt a patch one could download that would have more realistic stats rather than changing them all yourself!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Seems about right, Hmmmm i can tell from your list that you have actually watched the sens play before unlike the creators of NHL 13, too bad there wasnt a patch one could download that would have more realistic stats rather than changing them all yourself!
Karlsson at 94 is a bit extreme after one outstanding season. 87-89 would be fine with room to grow, and if he continues to put up those numbers then sure make him a superstar right off the bat.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb91 View Post
I didn't love the demo, the new skating engine seemed a little clunky or something. I will of course still buy it because I'm a slave like that.
Agreed completely. New skating mechanism makes defending a pain in the ass, when it used to be nearly as fun as offence. Still buy it, but not impressed with the demo at all. Usually I find the demo feels really different than the most recent game, but this one feels like a patch.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

Not sure if I like the demo or not yet.

My first shift I broke my stick 3 times, but absolutely flattened Kovalchuk with a nice hit. The skating is weird as already mentioned, and i still can't figure out how to push the puck ahead of me while carrying it to gain speed , was left trigger in nhl 12

Also couldn't play around with the puck between whistles, pick a fight or run the goalie.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:21 PM
TooLow494

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Not sure if I like the demo or not yet.

My first shift I broke my stick 3 times, but absolutely flattened Kovalchuk with a nice hit. The skating is weird as already mentioned, and i still can't figure out how to push the puck ahead of me while carrying it to gain speed , was left trigger in nhl 12

Also couldn't play around with the puck between whistles, pick a fight or run the goalie.
I think like all the innovations the NHL series came out with, the new skating system will definitely take some getting used to. I used to take turning on a dime and changing directions extremely quick for granted in the old games.

To push the puck ahead the left stick must be held in a single direction for a short period of time. In other words the player will automatically push the puck ahead while accelerating.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
That would be fine ratings (Karlsson a little lower, though) for previous NHL video game rating formula's. But in NHL 13 they actually have lower ratings for energy players. So you don't see an 80 for Erik Condra.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:
Karlsson at 94 is a bit extreme after one outstanding season. 87-89 would be fine with room to grow, and if he continues to put up those numbers then sure make him a superstar right off the bat.
I would agree with you if they didn't make a new game every year, seems to me players performance should be based on the previous year not what EA thinks they will perfrom like the next season.....thus the norris winning dman should be one of the top players in the game!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:07 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
I would agree with you if they didn't make a new game every year, seems to me players performance should be based on the previous year not what EA thinks they will perfrom like the next season.....thus the norris winning dman should be one of the top players in the game!
Except your playing with said roster for multiple seasons in Be a GM mode and a player's OVR fluctuates based on their potential.

IMO, Karlsson's OVR rating at 86 is accurate. The problem isn't Karlsson's rating, it's the ratings of players like Z. Michalek and company. Karlsson should be at a mid-high 80 with a B-/B/B- potential.