HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sean Avery to Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
IIRC, Ott and Avery aren't exactly buds.
They played on Dallas together ?

Old
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I think more John Tortorella stopped him from pestering, and Avery then shut down everything. Not the right way to react, but there definately was a decline in his play once Torts came in.
This.

Avery was effective under Renney because Renney let him off the leash and knew what made Sean an effective player. Torts tried turning Avery into a hockey player, but Avery's head was never in the game as a player first and a pest second. He needed to be able to go over the line, and not "toe the line" as Torts wanted him to, to be an effective player.

This debate has been beaten to death over on the Rangers board, and as a noted Avery supporter (see avatar) I'm very much so in the minority on this subject. Though I can agree with everyone, that towards the end of his Rangers career, Avery was more of a detriment to the team on and off the ice.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
This.

Avery was effective under Renney because Renney let him off the leash and knew what made Sean an effective player. Torts tried turning Avery into a hockey player, but Avery's head was never in the game as a player first and a pest second. He needed to be able to go over the line, and not "toe the line" as Torts wanted him to, to be an effective player.

This debate has been beaten to death over on the Rangers board, and as a noted Avery supporter (see avatar) I'm very much so in the minority on this subject. Though I can agree with everyone, that towards the end of his Rangers career, Avery was more of a detriment to the team on and off the ice.
I'm a king's fan and an Avery supporter, and the bottom part of what you said sounds very familiar.
I can't see Lindy Ruff allowing Avery to play the pest role.
I wonder if anyteam would ever considering bringing him in in a marketing role. I think he could be very good at it. If nothing else I would like to see what a jersey designed by him would look like.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Yeah, Avery will be lucky if he ever plays another NHL game, hes gonna destroy the reputation of the Buffalo organization, he ruined Dallas's when he was there, didn't do too much damage to NYR but leaked their alternate jersey 2 seasons ago, and Ott and him do not get along, and they kind of tried that already, having Ott and Avery on Dallas, but they should look for another pest, just not one named Sean Avery and isn't a dick off the ice, Laraque would've been perfect, but I would go for Raffi Torres if he does want to return to Buffalo, or Tom Sestito, hes a real pest, but you guys have John Scott so what are you worrying about.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
This.

I don't know if there's any one coach that made Avery less effective or if it was players wising up to his antics and not falling for them anymore. I always thought when Avery was in LA, some of his least effective games were against Detroit, because Detroit knew exactly what Avery was trying to pull and they wouldn't take the bait. You don't play that game with him and he's a lot less effective. I'd imagine the same thing happened after his trade to the Eastern Conference. Teams that weren't used to playing him so they'd let him get under their skin. At some point they had to wise up as well and stop playing that battle Avery wanted others to play.

If Avery wanted to focus on hockey and not the off ice stuff and bullying his teammates, he might still be an effective hockey player. I don't know if he'd be an effective pest anymore because everyone knows what he's trying to do.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Good luck getting Sean Avery to move to Buffalo.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
He brings no value to any team, only trouble! He's a locker room cancer.
I don't completely disagree with this, but a part of me thinks Avery in that Rangers - Devils series completely changes things.

Others mention that people begin to forget/ignore Avery. Ask Clarkson, Kovalchuk and Brodeur.

Avery needs a strong leader to look upto in the lockerroom. He had Shanny in NY, and had little issues. He was good friends with Richards in Dallas, Gaborik, Lundqvist in NY. It's not like "everyone" hates him. I only remember a few people calling him out - Modano (booted from Dallas), Turco (lol), Dubinsky, and Valiquette. Oh, and now Laperriere says something 8 years later - ok.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Good luck getting Sean Avery to move to Buffalo.
He lived in Detroit.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
He doesn't have a reason to fight Scott, because unlike players like Kaleta, Lucic doesn't yap to players he has zero intentions of ever fighting. Also Scott is overrated as **** as a fighter and rarely plays, so Sabres fans need to stop trying to start hype on how he will intimidate the Bruins. He won't, just like how he refused to drop with Thornton last year when given the chance.
Lucic doesn't have a reason to fight a guy bigger than him. LOL. Great explanation.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:26 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Kaleta doesn't turtle. He dropped them with Lucic even though Lucic has 4 inches and 30 pounds over Kaleta..... But dont worry let's see how tough big bad Milan is againt John Scott guaranteed Lucic won't have the guts to drop them against Scott.
Kaleta doesn't turtle...

Old
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Yea and Avery was driven out of town in 20 games.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:34 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I don't completely disagree with this, but a part of me thinks Avery in that Rangers - Devils series completely changes things.

Others mention that people begin to forget/ignore Avery. Ask Clarkson, Kovalchuk and Brodeur.

Avery needs a strong leader to look upto in the lockerroom. He had Shanny in NY, and had little issues. He was good friends with Richards in Dallas, Gaborik, Lundqvist in NY. It's not like "everyone" hates him. I only remember a few people calling him out - Modano (booted from Dallas), Turco (lol), Dubinsky, and Valiquette. Oh, and now Laperriere says something 8 years later - ok.
Well the stories about Avery making fun of Brown's lisp have been out there for awhile (since 08 or so), I thought the stories of Avery making fun of Brown's wife for not being pretty enough were new information.

As for Laperriere making the comments years after the fact, most players aren't going to rip former teammates or expose what was going on in the locker room while they were playing. There's always the chance that you can end up teammates with that person again. There have been rumors that several Kings players tried putting Avery in his place. Scott Thornton broke his hand "roughhousing" with someone in the locker room, unconfirmed rumors Norstrom and Avery had some issues as well. I don't think Lappy is the kind of guy that would have stood for those kind of things without saying something as well.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He doesn't have a reason to fight Scott, because unlike players like Kaleta, Lucic doesn't yap to players he has zero intentions of ever fighting. Also Scott is overrated as **** as a fighter and rarely plays, so Sabres fans need to stop trying to start hype on how he will intimidate the Bruins. He won't, just like how he refused to drop with Thornton last year when given the chance.
Wait.. he doesn't have a reason to fight Scott but he had a reason to fight Kaleta? ..lol Milan picks and chooses...n Bruin fans sit there and praise him as a bad ass when he beats on people smaller than him and defend him when he wusses out... can't have it both ways.

Who said anything about Scott intimidating the Bruins? ... Have only heard how he's going to beat on them...that's all..

Old
08-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Here we go: Bruins fans vs. Sabres fans round 3!

You can see round 1 in the John Scott thread, and round 2 in the Derek Roy for Steve Ott trade threads.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Exactly.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:43 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Ott is not cool with Avery. I'm pretty sure he hates him.
I'd think any tough/fighter/hitter/etc player would hate Avery. He's a clown question.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:45 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Kaleta doesn't turtle. He dropped them with Lucic even though Lucic has 4 inches and 30 pounds over Kaleta..... But dont worry let's see how tough big bad Milan is againt John Scott guaranteed Lucic won't have the guts to drop them against Scott.
Scott has tried multiple times, Chara was too scared every time.

As good as that would be, I'd rather see Scott finally give Marchand what he's had coming for a year or two now.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:48 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes, and it was a disaster. They amplified each other's antics and turned games into full-fledged sideshows -- hockey optional.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:06 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Here we go: Bruins fans vs. Sabres fans round 3!

You can see round 1 in the John Scott thread, and round 2 in the Derek Roy for Steve Ott trade threads.
This is round 4. You're forgetting the thread where we re-signed Kaleta.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:18 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:

Yeah according to NHL expert analyst "BruinsNeedaRussian" Scott is overrated as **** as a fighter even though he is 24-0 and undefeated

Scott will destroy any Bruin.Lucic would get demolished by Scott, but guaranteed Milan won't drop the gloves because hes a punk who only fights guys a lot smaller.Lucic NEVER will fight heavyweights.And you can also say hello to Marcus Foligno and Brayden McNabb, 2 big boys tough and skilled.Have fun trying to cheapshot the Sabres this year, you will see what will happen

Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 08-17-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:

Yeah according to NHL expert analyst "BruinsNeedaRussian" Scott is overrated as **** as a fighter even though he is 24-0 and undefeated

Scott will destroy any Bruin.Lucic would get demolished by Scott, but guaranteed Milan won't drop the gloves because hes a punk who only fights guys a lot smaller.Lucic NEVER will fight heavyweights.And you can also say hello to Marcus Foligno and Brayden McNabb, 2 big boys tough and skilled.Have fun trying to cheapshot the Sabres this year, you will see what will happen
The only problem with him, no one will fight him, no one, so he looks like an agitator when he tries to fight people, but yeah he could kick the crap out of anyone in the NHL, him and Chara would be a good match, but also, I bet he'll only play 41 games, might be a wee bit shocked if hes dressed for every game unless hes injured.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I don't think Sabres fans realize just how horrible John Scott is. He probably plays 20 games this year.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Unfortunately we've seen the last of Sean Avery in the NHL. He already said he was retiring. Doubt he has any suitors anyways. But, sounds like he's hung them up

Old
08-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I don't think Sabres fans realize just how horrible John Scott is. He probably plays 20 games this year.
No, we understand, but it's practically a given that Scott will play every Bruins game, hence the ****storm between the fans...

Old
08-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
yes we do...and so does john scott.. He knows his role. I give him 30ish games.

Closed Thread