HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ennis, Ryan, Gagner

Old
08-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Ennis, Ryan, Gagner

There's a lot of rumors going about regarding Sabres wanting to add Sam Gagner and, of course, Bobby Ryan. While I cannot determine the value of the sources, I still find the thought interesting. And besides - it's a slow off season. We need something to talk about, right?

So, rumor has it that Sabres and Oilers are talking about a trade that would bring Sam Gagner to the Sabres in return for Jordan Leopold and Luke Adam. Instead of Leopold it could be Andrej Sekera, although I believe Leopold is a better fit for both sides. Picks could also be involved to tweak the deal. Anyway, I think it's a deal that makes sense. Oilers need to add a defender. Sabres want a center. Oilers may not have a lot of centers so they get one back in Adam. Trading Leopold makes sense for the Sabres since he could give a good return and he is on the final year of his contract, and the team has a logjam at D. I like Leo, but I'd rather keep Sekera and those two are the most likely to be traded if we want a nice return.

With Sam Gagner on the team things get interesting, because now the Sabres have three young centers, of which one is not signed yet. At first one might object and say that Gagner isn't what the Sabres need to backup Ennis and Hodgson. Atleast, that was my reaction. But the theory here is that Sabres and Ducks are talking trades where a package with Ennis as the centerpiece is sent out west for Bobby Ryan. I don't know what to think of that.

While I would love to see Ryan wearing blue and gold, I'd hate giving up Ennis. He's one of my favorite players with huge potential. And besides that, I don't want to lose that chemistry that Ennis had with Stafford and Foligno. On the other hand, Sam Gagner could be considered an upgrade since Ennis has only played half a season at center in the NHL. Gagner is a much more proven center.

We'd be giving up a lot for a slight upgrade at center and adding Ryan. I don't know if I'd do it. If it were up to me, I think I'd do the Leo-Gagner deal but pass on Ryan. Sure, with Grigorenko and Girgensons coming in, it could mean a logjam at center. That's a luxury problem I'd love to have.

Thought?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:39 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Other than posters here spouting their wishes and cockamamie trade desires, where are you hearing "a lot of rumors going about regarding Sabres wanting to add Sam Gagner and, of course, Bobby Ryan."

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Other than posters here spouting their wishes and cockamamie trade desires, where are you hearing "a lot of rumors going about regarding Sabres wanting to add Sam Gagner and, of course, Bobby Ryan."
Maybe I shouldn't have said "rumors". Maybe I should have just said "speculation". Besides posters on this board, speculation is going on twitter and blogs. It doesn't really matter. I posted this perticular speculation for, well, speculation. Because true or not, it has some logic to it (unlike alot of other crazy ideas out there). So speculate!

Old
08-23-2012, 03:34 AM
McTank

Get gagner for leopold and adam. Keep ennis. Leave bobby ryan alone for now

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:49 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I know that Gagner comes from Eklund. As for Bobby Ryan, the sabres have been mentioned by about 70% of the writers adressing it since the ducks' GM and scouts were at a game or two of ours last season. =/

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:21 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
There's a lot of rumors going about regarding Sabres wanting to add Sam Gagner.
By a lot of rumors, you mean Eklund posted it and people ran with it.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:31 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Why would we downgrade at center, a position of weakness, to upgrade at wing, a position of strength? Boredom, I guess.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Why would we downgrade at center, a position of weakness, to upgrade at wing, a position of strength? Boredom, I guess.
I honestly don't see Poms, Vanek, Stafford, Leino, Ott, Foligno, Gerbe equaling a "position of strength". I think we have some good depth at wing, but we could absolutely benefit from any type of top-6 upgrade, being a winger or a center. Foligno is unproven, Leino is a bust, and Stafford is, well, we know about Stafford.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:27 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I honestly don't see Poms, Vanek, Stafford, Leino, Ott, Foligno, Gerbe equaling a "position of strength". I think we have some good depth at wing, but we could absolutely benefit from any type of top-6 upgrade, being a winger or a center. Foligno is unproven,
Leino is a bust so far, and Stafford is, well, we know about Stafford.

There ya go.

I know it's hard to be truthful sometimes.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I honestly don't see Poms, Vanek, Stafford, Leino, Ott, Foligno, Gerbe equaling a "position of strength". I think we have some good depth at wing, but we could absolutely benefit from any type of top-6 upgrade, being a winger or a center. Foligno is unproven, Leino is a bust, and Stafford is, well, we know about Stafford.
Sure we could use an upgrade, but you don't do it at the expense of your weakest position.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
By a lot of rumors, you mean Eklund posted it and people ran with it.
Except I didn't see it from Eklund, but yes, that could very well be the case. Honestly, I'm not trying to claim that this is happening, and I don't care if it's just made up. I thought it'd be interesting to discuss. It's not like we have anything else to talk about right now.

Quote:
But is Gagner really a downgrade from Ennis? I'd say slight upgrade right now because Gagner has more experience at that position. But, there's a lot of potential in Ennis and he could turn out to be better that Gagner soon enough. Plus, Ennis has a thing going with Stafford and Foligno. You can't be sure Gagner fits. So I'd pass. If it's up to me, Ennis goes nowhere.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Except I didn't see it from Eklund, but yes, that could very well be the case. Honestly, I'm not trying to claim that this is happening, and I don't care if it's just made up. I thought it'd be interesting to discuss. It's not like we have anything else to talk about right now.

But is Gagner really a downgrade from Ennis? I'd say slight upgrade right now because Gagner has more experience at that position. But, there's a lot of potential in Ennis and he could turn out to be better that Gagner soon enough. Plus, Ennis has a thing going with Stafford and Foligno. You can't be sure Gagner fits. So I'd pass. If it's up to me, Ennis goes nowhere.
Yes, he is a MAJOR downgrade. There are a few players that make this team go. Ennis is one of them. Do you remember what this team looked like when he was out? Slow and uninspired. A horrible team to watch.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Yes, he is a MAJOR downgrade. There are a few players that make this team go. Ennis is one of them. Do you remember what this team looked like when he was out? Slow and uninspired. A horrible team to watch.
Yes I remember and I see your point. I especially remember how Stafford looked when Ennis was out.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
There ya go.

Minimum standard for a guy making his money. For me would be 18 goals and 45 points per year. He'll have to average 20 goals and 50 points over the next 5 years to hit that mark, and considering what he's done so far, that's a pretty tall task. I'll pencil him in as a bust.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Minimum standard for a guy making his money. For me would be 18 goals and 45 points per year. He'll have to average 20 goals and 50 points over the next 5 years to hit that mark, and considering what he's done so far, that's a pretty tall task. I'll pencil him in as a bust.
So far....

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
There ya go.

38 goals, 60 assists in 220 NHL games, including 8 goals, 17 assists in his most recent 71 game season for a 28 year old making 4.5 mil a year...

I don't think saying "Ville Leino is a bust" is too far from being truthful, seeing as these are the numbers he has put up in the heart of the typical "Prime years" for an NHL player. Yes, I know he started his NHL career late.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Do you remember when he was completely invisible for the first 35 games of the season? I like Ennis, but let's not pretend he's something he isn't yet. Gagner and Ennis are fairly close right now.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
there is a difference between strength and depth

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Wisent42

Something funny about a slow off season is that when there is nothing solid to discuss, people tend to clutch at straws and build these huge scenarios of them. The silence just makes the speculation even worse. (Like I did here)

Take Bobby Ryan. Good player, yes, but he isn't Wayne Gretzky of 1985, right? Still some fans seem willing to throw just about anything and everything at the Ducks to get him. Because of boredom I guess. People build these ridiculous expectations of Bobby Ryan.

Last edited by Wisent42: 08-23-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Wasn't finnished yet
Old
08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Do you remember when he was completely invisible for the first 35 games of the season? I like Ennis, but let's not pretend he's something he isn't yet. Gagner and Ennis are fairly close right now.
He only played in 48 games and scored 29 in 33 games after returning from his second injury so it appears your math is off. Yeah, he had a slow start, but the team was still much better with him in the lineup because he added a dimension which nobody else on this team has. If you thought he was invisible, I'd say you have a hard time seeing. There is a direct correlation between his absence and that teams downfall. If you actually think he and Ganger are close in terms of the quality of player they are, you are entitled to that opinion but it is a terrible one.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
He only played in 48 games and scored 29 in 33 games after returning from his second injury so it appears your math is off. Yeah, he had a slow start, but the team was still much better with him in the lineup because he added a dimension which nobody else on this team has. If you thought he was invisible, I'd say you have a hard time seeing. There is a direct correlation between his absence and that teams downfall. If you actually think he and Ganger are close in terms of the quality of player they are, you are entitled to that opinion but it is a terrible one.
He was absolutely invisible for the beginning of the year. He had 7 points through 22 games. His absence also did little for the team's downfall considering he had done nothing prior to being injured, unless you consider those 5 points in 15 games critical.

You're making him out to be something he's not yet.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
I figured the joke was that he was invisible in 35 games because he wasn't playing in those games.

I guess he gets points because he got you to bite.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
I figured the joke was that he was invisible in 35 games because he wasn't playing in those games.

I guess he gets points because he got you to bite.
The 35 I was thinking of was Roy's start before being injured in 2010/11.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
stokes84

Quote:
He was absolutely invisible for the beginning of the year. He had 7 points through 22 games. His absence also did little for the team's downfall considering he had done nothing prior to being injured, unless you consider those 5 points in 15 games critical.

He was creating a lot of chances and was snakebit. You are looking back and using stats as your guide. I remember as soon as he went out, you could tell the loss of his speed was going to kill this team, and it did. We became one of the slowest teams in the NHL overnight. You don't always have to get on the scoreboard to make the team better. I'm not making him out to be somthing he's not. He's one of the 2 or 3 most important forwards on this team, period.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Until Ennis got hurt...he was downright bad. Getting hurt was the best thing to happen with him--it probably helped avoid a huge sophomore slump.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote