HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Collective Board Standings Predictions (Western Conference) #4

View Poll Results: Who Will Finish #4 in the Western Conference This Season?
Chicago Blackhawks 8 57.14%
Columbus Blue Jackets 0 0%
Detroit Red Wings 0 0%
Nashville Predators 1 7.14%
Calgary Flames 0 0%
Colorado Avalanche 0 0%
Edmonton Oilers 0 0%
Minnesota Wild 3 21.43%
Anaheim Ducks 0 0%
Dallas Stars 0 0%
Phoenix Coyotes 0 0%
San Jose Sharks 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-18-2012, 12:24 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

vCash: 500
Collective Board Standings Predictions (Western Conference) #4

Well, there's 10/11 votes for the Blues. Moving on then...

Results so far:

1. Los Angeles Kings - 64.29%
2. Vancouver Canucks - 58.82%
3. St. Louis Blues - 90.91%

Hmm, which of Chicago, Minnesota, or San Jose to pick?

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:33 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I think they'll finish a bit lower. Crawford's really the piece that determines their fate. If he plays well, then they could finish 4th. If he doesn't....they'll probably be 6th.

EDIT: Not that Niemi's amazing either, I just don't believe in Crawford.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

If Chicago trades for Lou I think they'll finish 1st.

If not, I agree with PE, I see them in 6th or 7th.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
If Chicago trades for Lou I think they'll finish 1st.

If not, I agree with PE, I see them in 6th or 7th.
Well, yeah...but I'm taking the teams as they are now, not how they might be based on whatever signings/trades are yet to come. Ryan still is Anaheim property, Doan is still out there...

Old
08-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Smashville.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:00 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Smashville.
Why, exactly? What makes you think they'll finish 4th rather than dropping down to...say...7th/8th?

EDIT:

I think that I would go with...

Vancouver
Los Angeles
St. Louis
San Jose
Minnesota
Chicago
Dallas
Nashville
Detroit (Feels weird to put them out of the playoffs)
Colorado
Anaheim
Phoenix
Calgary
Edmonton (Picks #1 overall )
Columbus

Last edited by bilpeto: 08-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old
08-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Why, exactly? What makes you think they'll finish 4th rather than dropping down to...say...7th/8th?
the team is more or less intact, biggest move was replacing Suter with Hannan. And while that's a big drop off, one defenceman won't make or break a team.

The Flyers lost Pronger and replaced him with a revolving door of AHLers and still easily topped 100 pts. (in a tougher division to mind you)

Old
08-18-2012, 01:31 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
the team is more or less intact, biggest move was replacing Suter with Hannan. And while that's a big drop off, one defenceman won't make or break a team.

The Flyers lost Pronger and replaced him with a revolving door of AHLers and still easily topped 100 pts. (in a tougher division to mind you)
I don't think they'll be 4th, though. I think that Chicago, San Jose, and Minnesota are better than they are overall (although each team has its weaknesses), and that Dallas may sink or swim with the new veteran approach.

-Chicago has a strong crop of forwards, a decent/good defense led by Keith/Seabrook, and questionable goaltending with Crawford as their starter. (I'm not getting into Luongo right now).

-San Jose has a good group of top-6 forwards and a stronger defense, but lack strength in their bottom-six and goaltending.

- Minnesota added two quality players in Parise and Suter, and actually have depth up front for now. The defense is the question mark here, as I'm not sure they want to go into the season with Suter, Gilbert, Scandella, Spurgeon, Stoner, Falk, Prosser (based on their depth chart). The goalies are good enough to both low-mid ranger starters in Backstrom and Harding.

-Dallas added veteran support in Whitney and Jagr this offseason. They have a solid group of forwards up front led by Benn, Eriksson, Jagr, Whitney, Ryder, and Roy. The goaltending is a bit of a question mark depending on whether Lehtonen can stay healthy, as Bachman is pretty unproven back there at the NHL level. The defense is the big disappointment, after giving Grossmann to the Flyers and doing nothing to replace him besides signing Aaron Rome or counting on a rookie of some sort besides Larsen.

The Predators...lost Suter and replaced him with Hannan. The forwards have depth but no consistent threat. The defense will be pretty good again this year, but that depends on the development on Josi and Blum. Rinne's awesome. But I just don't know where they fit in with the teams listed above.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

two words.

Pekka Rinne

The only other goalie that even comes close to him is Bäckström. Who at this point is old and streaky. Trying to compare Josh Harding, Corey Crawford, Antti Niemi and Jimmy Howard to him is downright laughable.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Also, they finished 4th last year, and you can argue that other than Minny, almost every other team in the conference either got worse or stayed the same.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I think they'll finish a bit lower. Crawford's really the piece that determines their fate. If he plays well, then they could finish 4th. If he doesn't....they'll probably be 6th.

EDIT: Not that Niemi's amazing either, I just don't believe in Crawford.
I don't either, but really who's better then them in terms of the rest of the team right now out West?

Minnesota added Parise and Suter, and they had a hot start last year but it was very "Florida-esque", IE: by most metrics they were nowhere near as good as they were performing. Give them one, maybe two more years and they'll be legit once some of these prospects like Granlund get adjusted to the NHL game.

San Jose I can see an argument for, but their core is older then Chicago's and not really getting any younger, and I like Chicago's defense a bit more.

Nashville has the goalie and the depth, but I think Suter's loss is going to sting more then most think.

Detroit post-Lidstrom and doing nothing to replace him... yeah let's see how that works out for you Holland

Dallas could surprise since they did make a lot of noise this offseason, but that also depends on how their older signings hold up.

comes down to a two-horse race for #4 with Chicago and San Jose for me, and I'll give the slight edge to Chicago for now, with Nashville not THAT far behind.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:59 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Dave and Trollinen...keep in mind that my teams 4-11 are all going to be pretty close, as the West usually is. I see LA, Vancouver, and St. Louis being a decent bit up above the rest, then 4-11 separated by maybe 8-12 points in the standings, then the last four below them by a bit.

Old
08-18-2012, 02:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Agree to disagree on that one, at least this year. I think this year it's going to be basically the exact opposite with the West having a rather distinct 1-6 tier and everyone else fighting it out for the last 2 spots except the bottom feeders. Basically what the East has been the past few seasons. Give it another season or maybe two and I think the West will be as balanced as it usually is since Colorado, Anaheim, Edmonton, and Minnesota all have a lot of strong young talent on the way.

The East on the other hand, once you get past the top 4 (NYR, Boston, Pitt, Philly) is completely up for grabs aside from maybe the Habs, Leafs, and Isles. And even a couple of those top 4 (Pitt and Boston) could slip, though almost certainly not out of the playoffs.

Last edited by DaveG: 08-18-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old
08-18-2012, 02:29 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Agree to disagree on that one, at least this year. I think this year it's going to be basically the exact opposite with the West having a rather distinct 1-6 tier and everyone else fighting it out for the last 2 spots except the bottom feeders. Basically what the East has been the past few seasons.

The East on the other hand, once you get past the top 4 (NYR, Boston, Pitt, Philly) is completely up for grabs. And even a couple of those top 4 (Pitt and Boston) could slip, though almost certainly not out of the playoffs.
Well, part of the reason that I feel the way I do is because (IMO) Phoenix, Calgary, Edmonton, and Columbus are really going to be bottom feeders. I just don't see any of those teams doing anything in the standings this year.

Vrbata lost his set-up buddy in Whitney, the ownership situation is still up in the air, and Doan may or may night be back in Phoenix.

Calgary added Cervenka and Hudler, but also overpaid by a ton to get Wideman, who probably won't be nearly as good as last year in a system that doesn't provide his as much offensive wealth around him. Iginla and Kiprusoff are just going to get older, too.

Edmonton added Yakupov and Schultz, but that defense and goaltending is still a giant pile of crap.

Columbus got a few good pieces for Nash, but nothing spectacular. They'll be like Nashville, in that there's nobody on offense who really can be counted on to go out and make that difference on a nightly basis. The defense is alright, but the goaltending situation is still a question mark with how Mason/Bobrovsky show up this year.

If these teams fail as much as I think they will, there's clearly a big division there between these four and the teams above. Again, I predict the top 3 to really be the top 3. After that, it'll be pretty close. If I were to specify, 4-6 will be a cluster, then 7-11 will be another cluster a few points down.

Last edited by bilpeto: 08-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old
08-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
two words.

Pekka Rinne

The only other goalie that even comes close to him is Bäckström. Who at this point is old and streaky. Trying to compare Josh Harding, Corey Crawford, Antti Niemi and Jimmy Howard to him is downright laughable.
You really think so? I agree with the rest of them, but IMO Howard's a stud. I think that Howard right now is better than Backstrom ever was outside his Vezina finalist year.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote