HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

United in dislike, NHL fans start boycott

Old
08-19-2012, 08:58 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
This generation is confused... movements aren't really movements if doing it from your seat.
Well said Sir.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:06 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
Grrrrrrr! Unliking stuff on Facebook! Grrrrrr!
it's actually become much more important than you think

i like this

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:09 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Well said Sir.
actually we're transitioning as humans from a physical to intellectual state of being

thanks anyway

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:13 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilershabs View Post
actually we're transitioning as humans from a physical to intellectual state of being

thanks anyway

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilershabs View Post

thanks anyway

Intellectual? Not the view I'd take. Civilization is really in for it if the youngsters think we are all are doing fine...

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
OneSharpMarble

What we really need is an online petition, those things really get **** done!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:54 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Buying hockey tickets or any other merchandise can be done from your seat, so guess what else you can do from your seat? Boycott does mean not buying.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:26 PM
ak90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
"United in delusion, NHL fans take laziest approach possible"
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

ak90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:55 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

slacktivism at its finest.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:46 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

There might be a way for the Canadian public (Hockey fans & others) to actually force the NHL and the NHLPA to get a CBA done by Sept 15 or else. Everybody would have to bombard the Governor General of Canada demanding that the Stanley Cup be taken back from the Trustees should there be a lockout or strike.

Lord Stanley, the then Governor General of Canada, gave the Cup to the country of Canada and put Trustees in place to watch over the Cup and its Championship play. The people of Canada have the right to watch their game of hockey being played and the awarding of the Stanley Cup each year without exception. If the NHL who has been given the right to trademark the Cup and awarding of the Cup to it's league champion can't start hockey on time then why shouldn't the Canadian public have the right to reclaim the Stanley Cup to be played for under another tournament open for all for its Championship no matter whether the NHL resumes play after that date? The hockey fans have more power in these negotiations than we believe and there's something that social media can do to start the ball rolling. Get the word out to all hockey fans even Americans to contact the Governor General of Canada immediately to start the process of removing the Stanley Cup from the NHL's possession and back to new Trustees as the present Trustees, Brian O'Neill and Ian "Scotty" Morrison worked for the NHL most of their careers and only have the NHL interests at heart not the Hockey public of Canada or our hockey friends to the south from the U.S.A.

We, the hockey fans, will not be taken for granted by the NHL or NHLPA anymore if we stand up for the protection of our game of hockey!

Just a thought!

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
There might be a way for the Canadian public (Hockey fans & others) to actually force the NHL and the NHLPA to get a CBA done by Sept 15 or else. Everybody would have to bombard the Governor General of Canada demanding that the Stanley Cup be taken back from the Trustees should there be a lockout or strike.

Lord Stanley, the then Governor General of Canada, gave the Cup to the country of Canada and put Trustees in place to watch over the Cup and its Championship play. The people of Canada have the right to watch their game of hockey being played and the awarding of the Stanley Cup each year without exception. If the NHL who has been given the right to trademark the Cup and awarding of the Cup to it's league champion can't start hockey on time then why shouldn't the Canadian public have the right to reclaim the Stanley Cup to be played for under another tournament open for all for its Championship no matter whether the NHL resumes play after that date? The hockey fans have more power in these negotiations than we believe and there's something that social media can do to start the ball rolling. Get the word out to all hockey fans even Americans to contact the Governor General of Canada immediately to start the process of removing the Stanley Cup from the NHL's possession and back to new Trustees as the present Trustees, Brian O'Neill and Ian "Scotty" Morrison worked for the NHL most of their careers and only have the NHL interests at heart not the Hockey public of Canada or our hockey friends to the south from the U.S.A.

We, the hockey fans, will not be taken for granted by the NHL or NHLPA anymore if we stand up for the protection of our game of hockey!

Just a thought!
The very moment the Stanley Cup gets awarded to a non-NHL team it loses its credibility as a trophy. Nobody watches the playoffs to see who wins the Stanley Cup, they watch to see who becomes NHL champion. If you start awarding the cup to nothing leagues, then the trophy becomes a nothing trophy. The Stanley Cup is what it is because of the NHL, not the other way around.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Mad Habber

You want to do something worthwhile and not miss out on hockey when it does comeback, boycott the sponsors. Just make a list of all the sponsors, and as often as possible, boycott their products and services and go straight to their competition. Don't forget to let the sponsors know what you're doing and why. If they lose enough business, they'll put pressure on the NHL which means a lot more to Buttman than a handfull of disorganized fans not attending a few games in a handful of cities. Moreso in Montreal or Toronto or other places where they have a waiting list for people to get in.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:14 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
You want to do something worthwhile and not miss out on hockey when it does comeback, boycott the sponsors. Just make a list of all the sponsors, and as often as possible, boycott their products and services and go straight to their competition. Don't forget to let the sponsors know what you're doing and why. If they lose enough business, they'll put pressure on the NHL which means a lot more to Buttman than a handfull of disorganized fans not attending a few games in a handful of cities. Moreso in Montreal or Toronto or other places where they have a waiting list for people to get in.
Yeah let's boycott Nike..... and buy some Bauer... or Reebok maybe... or should we go with CCM? Wait should I even buy myself any skates after all since they are all competing against each other? No I guess I won't play my favorite sport this winter.

I won't go to any restaurants either since somewhere somehow, all fast food chains are sponsoring at least one NHL team.

If I'm with Rogers, should I cancel my phone contract and go with Bell? Oh wait they too are sponsors.

Nah I guess I'm just gonna buy myself a car and.......... dammit, pretty much every single car company is sponsoring one or multiple teams!

Okay fuk it, I'll remain on my couch and play some video games.... but if I recall, Playstation is a sponsor too, so I can't.

Well I'll go buy some beers and...........

So yeah... we're fuked.

You might wanna reconsider the "just don't buy any tickets" option, right?

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
In fairness, we all bad mouth slacktivism (as well we should) but a lot of people also ***** and complain when people protest saying they're just stupid kids and hippies (look at the Occupy movement and others).

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:59 AM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The very moment the Stanley Cup gets awarded to a non-NHL team it loses its credibility as a trophy. Nobody watches the playoffs to see who wins the Stanley Cup, they watch to see who becomes NHL champion. If you start awarding the cup to nothing leagues, then the trophy becomes a nothing trophy. The Stanley Cup is what it is because of the NHL, not the other way around.
You might want to take a better look at the Stanley Cup's history. In its first 21 years, The Stanley cup was a challenge Cup for the best Canadian teams to complete and defend throughout the year. In 1914, the Allan Cup became highest prize for amateur Canadian hockey teams to play for each year. The trustees of the Stanley Cup changed the rules to allow all professional hockey teams to play for the cup and the champion would no longer be the best hockey team in Canada but for the whole world.

The Stanley Cup was played for from 1893 to 1926 (34 years) by other teams and leagues other than the NHL and later the NHL. The NHL was the only professional hockey league standing in 1927 so they were never challenged for the Cup. In 1947, the trustees broke the rules of Lord Stanleys trust granting the NHL defacto controller of the Stanley Cup and its playoff system for who would play for the Cup. The WHA never bothered to challenge for the Stanley Cup or take it to court. The NHL has become attached to the Stanley Cup history and the history is together but don't suggest that the NHL makes the Stanley Cup. The KHL or SEL could under the conditions set by Lord Stanley's trust play for the cup against the NHL champions.

In 2006, the Ontario Superior Court ruled that the Trustees had no rights under the trust by Lord Stanley to grant the NHL trademark and Stanley Cup right under the 1947 agreement. The lawsuit was settled with the NHL out of court and the NHL agreed to allow other challenge for the Cup should the league not play the season as like 2004-05 season.

It should be consider a new Challenge Cup tournament if they don't play. Every kid who plays hockey in North America grows up dreaming of playing for the Stanley Cup and scoring the winning goal not playing for some other trophy so what is the NHL if they lose the Stanley Cup? Those same players want to play in the best league no matter what its name but they have to play for the Stanley Cup.

Again just my opinion.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
You might want to take a better look at the Stanley Cup's history. In its first 21 years, The Stanley cup was a challenge Cup for the best Canadian teams to complete and defend throughout the year. In 1914, the Allan Cup became highest prize for amateur Canadian hockey teams to play for each year. The trustees of the Stanley Cup changed the rules to allow all professional hockey teams to play for the cup and the champion would no longer be the best hockey team in Canada but for the whole world.

The Stanley Cup was played for from 1893 to 1926 (34 years) by other teams and leagues other than the NHL and later the NHL. The NHL was the only professional hockey league standing in 1927 so they were never challenged for the Cup. In 1947, the trustees broke the rules of Lord Stanleys trust granting the NHL defacto controller of the Stanley Cup and its playoff system for who would play for the Cup. The WHA never bothered to challenge for the Stanley Cup or take it to court. The NHL has become attached to the Stanley Cup history and the history is together but don't suggest that the NHL makes the Stanley Cup. The KHL or SEL could under the conditions set by Lord Stanley's trust play for the cup against the NHL champions.

In 2006, the Ontario Superior Court ruled that the Trustees had no rights under the trust by Lord Stanley to grant the NHL trademark and Stanley Cup right under the 1947 agreement. The lawsuit was settled with the NHL out of court and the NHL agreed to allow other challenge for the Cup should the league not play the season as like 2004-05 season.

It should be consider a new Challenge Cup tournament if they don't play. Every kid who plays hockey in North America grows up dreaming of playing for the Stanley Cup and scoring the winning goal not playing for some other trophy so what is the NHL if they lose the Stanley Cup? Those same players want to play in the best league no matter what its name but they have to play for the Stanley Cup.

Again just my opinion.
I am well acquainted with the history of the cup and the 2006 ruling. My point, which you failed to address, was that the legitimacy stems from the competition. Kids grow up dreaming of scoring the cup winning goal because the cup is the NHL championship trophy. Nobody wants to score the cup winning goal if it starts getting awarded for minor league competition. Stanley Cup is synonymous with the best THAT is why it is revered. if it reverts to a challenge format, or anything else, it loses significance.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Yeah let's boycott Nike..... and buy some Bauer... or Reebok maybe... or should we go with CCM? Wait should I even buy myself any skates after all since they are all competing against each other? No I guess I won't play my favorite sport this winter.

I won't go to any restaurants either since somewhere somehow, all fast food chains are sponsoring at least one NHL team.

If I'm with Rogers, should I cancel my phone contract and go with Bell? Oh wait they too are sponsors.

Nah I guess I'm just gonna buy myself a car and.......... dammit, pretty much every single car company is sponsoring one or multiple teams!

Okay fuk it, I'll remain on my couch and play some video games.... but if I recall, Playstation is a sponsor too, so I can't.

Well I'll go buy some beers and...........

So yeah... we're fuked.

You might wanna reconsider the "just don't buy any tickets" option, right?
That's his point. It is virtually impossible to boycott the league. The purpose of a boycott is to hit a business in the wallet. Unliking their facebook page makes zero financial impact. Boycotting their sponsors does.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:26 PM
LastChancePrice

RDS boycott for videotron. Im starting it.

For those who are unaware of this, now every time that you pick a custom package, or want RDS in one of a package that doesnt include it, Videotron ask you to take RDS2 also. So , as example, if you choose a custom 20 channels package, you have to use two of your twenty channels to pick RDS and RDS2 (count as 2). Yon can no longer only choose RDS alone. This is one of Bell condition for having videotron broadcast RDS2.

If you notice the publicity saynotobell about the buyout of Astral media by Bell, this is exactly what they are going to do. Force you to choose something else in order to get what you really want. And i just dont want RDS2 and also absolutly dont want to be force to take it.

Well iv took my decision. I know that RDS will broadcast all Habs game, but i wont give Bell what they want. It really blow that RDS and Habs are property of Bell, but now that enough. RDS and RDS 2 got removed from my channels and i decide to choose something else (...trust me, TVASPORTS is NOT in my channels list ...for those wondering... ) Im a diehard habs fan, but i will survived by having more than half of habs games being broadcast by CBC , Sportsnet or TSN or any other channels beside RDS that will display habs games.

So whats the best way to protest against Bell and this idiolic crowd control? Drop RDS and a bit of your old loved Habs. Yes it completely blow, but if your not a fan of Bell because of bad experience with this company and what they are trying to do, this is the best way to do it. Always say to yourself, you will survive if you cannot watch ALL habs games. I will.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Timelord
Stanley Cup polisher

Quote:

Again just my opinion.
Sheer brand loyalty toward the NHL I suppose. Sometimes I underestimate people's attachment to commercial enterprises.

Timelord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
For those who are unaware of this, now every time that you pick a custom package, or want RDS in one of a package that doesnt include it, Videotron ask you to take RDS2 also. So , as example, if you choose a custom 20 channels package, you have to use two of your twenty channels to pick RDS and RDS2 (count as 2). Yon can no longer only choose RDS alone. This is one of Bell condition for having videotron broadcast RDS2.

If you notice the publicity saynotobell about the buyout of Astral media by Bell, this is exactly what they are going to do. Force you to choose something else in order to get what you really want. And i just dont want RDS2 and also absolutly dont want to be force to take it.

Well iv took my decision. I know that RDS will broadcast all Habs game, but i wont give Bell what they want. It really blow that RDS and Habs are property of Bell, but now that enough. RDS and RDS 2 got removed from my channels and i decide to choose something else (...trust me, TVASPORTS is NOT in my channels list ...for those wondering... ) Im a diehard habs fan, but i will survived by having more than half of habs games being broadcast by CBC , Sportsnet or TSN or any other channels beside RDS that will display habs games.

So whats the best way to protest against Bell and this idiolic crowd control? Drop RDS and a bit of your old loved Habs. Yes it completely blow, but if your not a fan of Bell because of bad experience with this company and what they are trying to do, this is the best way to do it. Always say to yourself, you will survive if you cannot watch ALL habs games. I will.

I just subscribed today, so I guess that'll make it even !

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Normally I would recommend switching to Bell, they have a very good sports package & if your Anglo you get up to 75 Habs games in English, choice is great & should always be an option. But I'm really pissed @ Bell about the whole AM 990 thing!

So just continue to e-mail your frustrations to Videotron, they are in a war with Bell & should listen to their customers...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:06 PM
feds91

I had Videotron for years and switched to Bell a few months ago. Honestly, besides the horrible horrific terrible pathetic customer service, Bell is head and shoulders above Videotron when it comes to tv channels. Bell has a much larger selection when it comes to HD channels in english.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Hell, I feel like boycotting RDS. What a crappy, biased, unprofessional sports station. The fact you're forced to take 2 of them should drive anyone nuts.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
LOL,then switch to Bell. You`ll get both and they will count as one. Its Videotron that is making it count as 2

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I have ShawDirect and I'm pretty happy.

$30 a month but all I really need is RDS.

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote