HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Stroman Suspended 50 Games for PED's, Bautista out for year.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2012, 03:49 PM
  #351
MrLegend28
Registered User
 
MrLegend28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
He's not the #1 on his current team. A team that is in danger of missing playoffs. I'm the one that talked about how outstanding his xFIP and SIERA still were despite his surface stats, and that he should most certainly be pursued in the offseason. He would be the #1 on this team. Thanks for your insight though.
anyone who wouldnt take Greinke as a #1 shouldnt be running an organization. Thanks for your rebuttal though.

MrLegend28 is offline  
Old
08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  #352
Eyedea
Breakout Player
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
But he is not even close, though. In 6 starts his ERA is over 5.
Small sample size especially since he has to re-adjust to the American League.

Who knows, maybe this anxiety disorder has affected his game. It doesn't make sense to not call him a #1 though.


Last edited by Eyedea: 08-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Eyedea is online now  
Old
08-26-2012, 10:40 PM
  #353
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,910
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Wonder when the game will be pushed too

__________________
1x Best Avatar winner
OmniSens is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 01:08 AM
  #354
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Wonder when the game will be pushed too
I believe it is September 24th.

tp71 is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 01:38 AM
  #355
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500
1 Houston Astros 40 87 0.315 0.0
2 Chicago Cubs 48 77 0.384 9.0
3 Minnesota Twins 51 75 0.405 11.5
4 Colorado Rockies 51 74 0.408 12.0
5 Cleveland Indians 55 71 0.437 15.5
6 Toronto Blue Jays 56 70 0.444 16.5
7 Miami Marlins 57 71 0.445 16.5
8 Kansas City Royals 56 69 0.448 17.0
9 San Diego Padres 58 70 0.453 17.5
10 New York Mets 58 69 0.457 18.0

Choo Choo tank train

weems is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 06:39 AM
  #356
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
1 Houston Astros 40 87 0.315 0.0
2 Chicago Cubs 48 77 0.384 9.0
3 Minnesota Twins 51 75 0.405 11.5
4 Colorado Rockies 51 74 0.408 12.0
5 Cleveland Indians 55 71 0.437 15.5
6 Toronto Blue Jays 56 70 0.444 16.5
7 Miami Marlins 57 71 0.445 16.5
8 Kansas City Royals 56 69 0.448 17.0
9 San Diego Padres 58 70 0.453 17.5
10 New York Mets 58 69 0.457 18.0

Choo Choo tank train
I just wish Cleveland could start winning again. They started to sink at the same time as us. Most important is we need the teams just ahead of us to start winning. The Phillies went on a little run which is good. If your gonna crash you want to crash hard. We have a very tough schedule the rest of the way which should make losing a breeze.

dredeye is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 08:47 AM
  #357
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I just wish Cleveland could start winning again. They started to sink at the same time as us. Most important is we need the teams just ahead of us to start winning. The Phillies went on a little run which is good. If your gonna crash you want to crash hard. We have a very tough schedule the rest of the way which should make losing a breeze.
Why do you want your team to continue to lose games?

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
  #358
Eyedea
Breakout Player
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Why do you want your team to continue to lose games?
Well if we're gonna follow the Rangers model, we might as well tank.

Eyedea is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  #359
shully
Night's Watch
 
shully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Well if we're gonna follow the Rangers model, we might as well tank.
I'm not going to straight out hope for us to lose games, just doesn't seem right, but I won't complain if we do

shully is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 09:34 AM
  #360
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Well if we're gonna follow the Rangers model, we might as well tank.
Can the Jays attract top tier free agents if they continue to free fall? I have no doubt they could get a couple but they would probably have to pay through the nose.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:11 AM
  #361
Eyedea
Breakout Player
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Can the Jays attract top tier free agents if they continue to free fall? I have no doubt they could get a couple but they would probably have to pay through the nose.
Aside from Adrian Beltre, what top tier free agents have Texas attracted?

Eyedea is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:12 AM
  #362
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Aside from Adrian Beltre, what top tier free agents have Texas attracted?
Yu Darvish?

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:16 AM
  #363
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Yu Darvish?
They won a blind bid, I wouldn't day he was attracted to there, more like forced to go there.

Woodman19 is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
  #364
Eyedea
Breakout Player
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Yu Darvish?
So they beat every other team in the blind posting bid by about 20 million dollars. How is that attracting the free agent?

Eyedea is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:19 AM
  #365
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
They won a blind bid, I wouldn't day he was attracted to there, more like forced to go there.
Rangers still had to work out a contract with him though, the blind bid every team was able to participate and put in a bid. By every definition he was a free agent.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
  #366
Eyedea
Breakout Player
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 350
I don't think Darvish had any restrictions on where he wanted to play though. According to reports no bid was within 35MM of the $51.7 Texas offered so it was clear they didn't care about overpaying they just really wanted Darvish.

Eyedea is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
  #367
TheTotalPackage
Registered User
 
TheTotalPackage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
With the waiver deadline four days away, are you surprised the Jays haven't made a move (Chavez for cash hardly registers)? Vets like Oliver or Vizquel.

On one hand I'd think the Jays would try and get something for Oliver and trade him to a contender. On the other, I'd like to think AA believes this has been a freak year and that hanging on to the likes of Oliver will prove beneficial with the team planning to contend next year.

TheTotalPackage is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
  #368
Drmckool
Truculence!
 
Drmckool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: From the T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
I've been thinking over Beeston's comments from last week and it hit me, he is the worst person for managing expectations. I mean he basically said that the Jays will get Greinke+ in the off-season and make the playoffs next year after blowing a "****ton" of cash on pitching.

Drmckool is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
  #369
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Why do you want your team to continue to lose games?
At this point who cares if we finish 10 games vs 25 games under .500? I certainly dont and at this point of this nightmare season I want as high of a draft pick as possible.

Im sure most free agents and there representitive will know the Jays were totally decimimated by injuries and that the end record really isnt indicitive of the teams overall talent.

weems is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
  #370
Drmckool
Truculence!
 
Drmckool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: From the T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Im sure most free agents and there representitive will know the Jays were totally decimimated by injuries and that the end record really isnt indicitive of the teams overall talent.
You would hope that any free agent would see a difference between a team that has Morrow, Bautista, Lawrie, Rasmus, JPA, Escobar, Lind, Santos, etc. and one that has AAA replacement players.

Drmckool is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
  #371
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
With the waiver deadline four days away, are you surprised the Jays haven't made a move (Chavez for cash hardly registers)? Vets like Oliver or Vizquel.

On one hand I'd think the Jays would try and get something for Oliver and trade him to a contender. On the other, I'd like to think AA believes this has been a freak year and that hanging on to the likes of Oliver will prove beneficial with the team planning to contend next year.
I think the knowledge and experience those two can share with some of our younger players is worth more than the peanuts we'd get in return. I also have a strong feeling that we'll pick up Oliver's option for next year, keeping our 8th and 9th inning guys intact.

Everlong is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
  #372
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
At this point who cares if we finish 10 games vs 25 games under .500? I certainly dont and at this point of this nightmare season I want as high of a draft pick as possible.

Im sure most free agents and there representitive will know the Jays were totally decimimated by injuries and that the end record really isnt indicitive of the teams overall talent.
Reminds me of the 2004 "season from hell" as JP Riccardi coined it. We were able to draft 6th in the 2005 draft, and took Ricky Romero. That team wasn't nearly bad enough to have 90+ losses, but injuries and circumstances took their toll.

The 2012 version of the Jays has a glut of talent, and because of the circumstances we all are aware of, have not been able to reach their potential. A high draft pick is a silver lining on a dark cloud. It wouldn't surprise me if this team lost 90 this year, and won 90 next year, while drafting in the top 8 in the June Draft. Nothing wrong with that scenario.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
  #373
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Its ok guys if we stay in the bottom ten we don't need to give up our first rounder as compensation for the free agents that we're never going to sign.

theaub is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
  #374
captn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Rangers still had to work out a contract with him though, the blind bid every team was able to participate and put in a bid. By every definition he was a free agent.
I think you are getting confused about the meaning of free agent. What makes the player "free" is that he is able to choose WHERE he signs.

captn is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 12:57 PM
  #375
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Rangers still had to work out a contract with him though, the blind bid every team was able to participate and put in a bid. By every definition he was a free agent.
Not really. If he didn't work out a deal with Texas, he had to go back to Japan next year. The Rangers had all the leverage in that situation because they were Darvish's only MLB option thanks to the posting system. In a real FA scenario, the player is the one with all the leverage because they can choose to walk away at any time and shop their services elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
With the waiver deadline four days away, are you surprised the Jays haven't made a move (Chavez for cash hardly registers)? Vets like Oliver or Vizquel.

On one hand I'd think the Jays would try and get something for Oliver and trade him to a contender. On the other, I'd like to think AA believes this has been a freak year and that hanging on to the likes of Oliver will prove beneficial with the team planning to contend next year.
The waiver-trade period returns low value. If the team wanted to jettison useful vets (and I'm using "useful" here loosely regarding Vizquel) they would've been better to do it before the non-waiver deadline.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.