HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stroman Suspended 50 Games for PED's, Bautista out for year.

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

vCash: 500
I'm sure David Cooper has been talked about as a guy who is a good enough hitter to play in the MLB but one who isn't an ideal 1B due to his lack of power.

I think his bat is an ideal fit for a 2B and I was wondering if it might be an area to explore going into the offseason. It would be like an investment but I think his hitting is good enough to produce a .280 Avg, maybe 10-15 HR, and a fairly high OBP.

08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Ricky Romero's career is going to mirror Dontrelle Willis. He'll bounce around a bit then be out of the majors entirely in a few years.
Oh yeah. Jon Lester and Tim Lincecum too. Everyone will mirror Willis because starting pitchers never come back from bad seasons.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'm sure David Cooper has been talked about as a guy who is a good enough hitter to play in the MLB but one who isn't an ideal 1B due to his lack of power.

I think his bat is an ideal fit for a 2B and I was wondering if it might be an area to explore going into the offseason. It would be like an investment but I think his hitting is good enough to produce a .280 Avg, maybe 10-15 HR, and a fairly high OBP.
His defense is subpar at 1B. That's been the knock on him since his draft year. I don't think he has the ability to play any other position, especially not in the middle infield. Not to mention, he throws left handed.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Wait, you want Cooper to be put in the 2nd baseman position? That is quite insane. The guy can barely play 1st base, doesn't run well, isn't athletic and even his arm seems weak for a 1st baseman. He wouldn't even be able to play LF let alone a tough position like 2nd base. He is also left handed which automatically crosses him off from 2nd/SS/3rd.

If Cooper basically played any other position, he would have decent value and it's too bad he doesn't because he can certainly hit for average and has good gap power.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
RayzorIsDull

Glad to hear Cosentino say Romero should go out there and take it like a man and pitch the rest of the year. Hayhurst doesn't want to see him go out, I don't mind Hayhurst but I think he's speaking at the point of view as former pitcher and not as an impartial observer.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Having Romero pitch is an embarassment to the club and a slap in the face to anyone who buys a ticket to watch the game. It's basically guaranteeing a loss. He is entering Josh Towers territory.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Having Romero pitch is an embarassment to the club and a slap in the face to anyone who buys a ticket to watch the game. It's basically guaranteeing a loss. He is entering Josh Towers territory.
I won't disagree but demoting him because you're worried about his confidence being shattered is a cop out. If he can't handle having a bad year then maybe he isn't the pitcher we thought he was. As a pitcher you have to handle the highs and the lows.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:49 PM
thatshype

I was at Comerica Park to see last nights Jays game, and yikes it was a stinker. Romero couldn't get through an inning without puttin somebody on base...and you KNOW you are going to lose a game when the you load the bases for Miguel Cabrera and Prince fielder MULTIPLE times. The only consolation is that without Bautista, Arencibia, and Lawrie the Blue Jays lineup was really the "B-team". The only bat that was threatening all game long was Encarnacion, and he managed to deliver with a Solo HR. The section I was sitting in was ALL Tigers fans so it was a tough game to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Glad to hear Cosentino say Romero should go out there and take it like a man and pitch the rest of the year. Hayhurst doesn't want to see him go out, I don't mind Hayhurst but I think he's speaking at the point of view as former pitcher and not as an impartial observer.
I actually really like Hayhurst's point of view on many topics. Yes he's a former player, but more importantly he's a RECENT former player that played with a lot of current Blue Jays. He has more experience with the current Blue Jays than Zaun does, I'd guess. And he's a pretty well-spoken guy. I enjoy hearing his perspectives.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
thatshype

Romero to Dontrelle Willis is not a good comparison. Willis was overweight during his best years, and was always a harder thrower than Romero. Willis was a lot like CC Sabathia for a year or two, but he couldn't maintain it. Romero has never been anything like Sabathia, nor Willis. I think Romero's problems are mental, not physical. In my opinion, he gets rattled too often and the pressure of being the Jays "best pitcher" has been getting to him.

He is a much better pitcher when Morrow is in the lineup to relieve a bit of the stress of being the #1. When both are pitching they are a bit like a 1A/1B combo, and it seems to me that it makes things easier for Ricky.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
thatshype

Sorry to triple post, but as a followup to being in Left field last night at Comerica park......Rajai Davis looked downright terrible defensively. He ranged once to make a catch, but he blundered two OF grounders. He did not look good there.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Romero to Dontrelle Willis is not a good comparison. Willis was overweight during his best years, and was always a harder thrower than Romero. Willis was a lot like CC Sabathia for a year or two, but he couldn't maintain it. Romero has never been anything like Sabathia, nor Willis. I think Romero's problems are mental, not physical. In my opinion, he gets rattled too often and the pressure of being the Jays "best pitcher" has been getting to him.

He is a much better pitcher when Morrow is in the lineup to relieve a bit of the stress of being the #1. When both are pitching they are a bit like a 1A/1B combo, and it seems to me that it makes things easier for Ricky.
I liked it when he was the #2 behind Marcum. It would be nice to sandwich him between Morrow and another strong righty. Almost making him the #3, but having him in that 2 slot in the rotation.

I wonder, and have wondered throughout the year, how that relationship he had with the model affected him. I know it's a reach, but my God, there's really no good explanation for him falling off the face of the earth the way he has.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
I liked it when he was the #2 behind Marcum. It would be nice to sandwich him between Morrow and another strong righty. Almost making him the #3, but having him in that 2 slot in the rotation.

I wonder, and have wondered throughout the year, how that relationship he had with the model affected him. I know it's a reach, but my God, there's really no good explanation for him falling off the face of the earth the way he has.
I dont think its a reach at all and many of people have speculated this for months.
These guys are humans afterall and have personal lives and experiance up and downs just like the rest of us. It would be a little dissapointing if Ricky got this down over a girl and let it totally derail his professional career but its certainly realistic.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...drug-test.html

Well whoever was talking about how Colon would be a great signing for this ball club, yeah idk.

Also in other A's news, Brett Anderson made his first start of the season yesterday and pitched well going 7 IP, allowing 1 ER and striking out 6.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Yunel Escobar on paternity leave, Chad Beck recalled from Las Vegas

Bartolo Colon suspended 50 games

Old
08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Mogwai

Came here to see a bunch of people eating crow about Colon.

Am disappoint.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Romero is nothing like Dontrelle Willis. D-Train lost all his velocity in one year. Tim Lincecum or Ubaldo Jimenez would be a better comparable to the D-Train. Both lost a ton of MPH on their fastballs. Ricky still has his velocity and stuff.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:34 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Romero is nothing like Dontrelle Willis. D-Train lost all his velocity in one year. Tim Lincecum or Ubaldo Jimenez would be a better comparable to the D-Train. Both lost a ton of MPH on their fastballs. Ricky still has his velocity and stuff.
Tim Lincecum is better than 9 K/9 this year, has a 3 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP since the All Star break.

Just sayin.

He's still wicked IMO.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
Bartolo Colon suspended 50 games
He probably ate Melky Cabrera.

Well, there goes the A's chances... sort of. Not as devasting a loss as Melky to the Giants but still, pretty big.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
thrillhouse9

Quote:

I don't see a problem with keeping him and Edwin to play 1B or DH.. like you said, he hits well and can produce some runs from the #5 or 6 spot. Who cares if he doesn't have the "traditional" power of a 1B. Unless we can get a guy like Ortiz to DH, there aren't many better options out there, and we get plenty of power from other spots in the lineup.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Funny how Colon admits to juicing before last year but he doesn't get caught while on the Yankee's. Maybe that guy was onto something saying the Yankee's have career years with old veterans. They probably have a trainer who knows how to hide it in the system so the team is juicing lol.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Don't know if anyone else saw Billy Hamilton break the minor league record for stolen bases. I know he's been mentioned on this board before. He's a middle infield prospect for the Reds. He's getting a lot of love around baseball, and rightfully so.

Just to put things into perspective; our own Anthony Gose is less than a month older than Hamilton and has shown a comparable 'SPD' rating. In fact, last year in AA (the level Hamilton is currently at), Gose had a better rating (8.6 vs. 8.5). Pretty cool stuff. Shows how young Gose really is to be in the bigs, and just some comparison between two exciting prospects.

* SPD = Bill James' Speed Rating

Old
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
He probably ate Melky Cabrera.

Well, there goes the A's chances... sort of. Not as devasting a loss as Melky to the Giants but still, pretty big.
Anderson will just step in and take his place.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Don't know if anyone else saw Billy Hamilton break the minor league record for stolen bases. I know he's been mentioned on this board before. He's a middle infield prospect for the Reds. He's getting a lot of love around baseball, and rightfully so.

Just to put things into perspective; our own Anthony Gose is less than a month older than Hamilton and has shown a comparable 'SPD' rating. In fact, last year in AA (the level Hamilton is currently at), Gose had a better rating (8.6 vs. 8.5). Pretty cool stuff. Shows how young Gose really is to be in the bigs, and just some comparison between two exciting prospects.

But he is struggling to hit in his first 100 AB that means he is a bust!!

Old
08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:

wow that is awesome man,
If gose learns how to hit which I think he will, he will be a star

Remember AA said, his plan was for gose to stay the entire year in triple A, Meaning gose wasn't even supposed to be up this year anyways, I think gose needs atleast most of next year in triple A, Than battle for everyday spot, I'm excited for this kid, everyone can see he needs more seasoning

Old
08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
But he is struggling to hit in his first 100 AB that means he is a bust!!

I was waiting for someone to say that

Closed Thread