HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stroman Suspended 50 Games for PED's, Bautista out for year.

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Virtually everyone in baseball will be placed on waivers in the next 10 days. The Jays are currently third in waiver priority in the AL, and neither Minny nor KC are expected to add salary, so it's basically the Jays with first dibs on the league. But these are revocable waivers, so the waiving team can pull the player off waivers and then discuss trade with the claiming team if they so choose. Do you think the Red Sox would let the Jays pick up AGonz for free? Doubtful - even if they wanted rid of the contract. I'd love to see the Jays get a head start on the offseason by adding a big bat - preferably left handed - but since it's very rare that a claim actually goes through (paging Alex Rios...), it becomes a question of whether you think the Jays will get a better deal in trade now than they would this winter. I could definitely see them making a claim on a guy who's a pending FA, to help our current depth issues and audition a guy they might be interested in signing. David Ortiz springs to mind, but again the Red Sox would almost certainly just recall him.

(Although the Farrell rumours do pose an interesting wrinkle in all of this... I'm still inclined to extend Farrell, but if the Jays aren't sold on keeping him, that opens up some possibilities...).

Old
08-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Last night, I threw together a spreadsheet of the available free agent pitchers coming up this fall. I was trying to find a way to consolidate xFIP and SIERA ratings from 2011 and 2012, and kick out a nice top ten list in terms of who's available. Here's my top ten if you guys are interested:

1. Zach Grienke
2. James Shields (O)
3. Joe Blanton
4. Anibal Sanchez
5. Dan Haren
6. Jorge De La Rosa (O)
7. Brandon McCarthy
8. Colby Lewis
9. Scott Feldman (O)
10a. Edwin Jackson
10b. Shaun Marcum

The guys with 'O's have team opions. So it remains to be seen if they're picked up or not. I left out a few free agents because of age. Blanton, to me, is the biggest surprise, and would probably be the cheapest on that list.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Virtually everyone in baseball will be placed on waivers in the next 10 days. The Jays are currently third in waiver priority in the AL, and neither Minny nor KC are expected to add salary, so it's basically the Jays with first dibs on the league. But these are revocable waivers, so the waiving team can pull the player off waivers and then discuss trade with the claiming team if they so choose. Do you think the Red Sox would let the Jays pick up AGonz for free? Doubtful - even if they wanted rid of the contract. I'd love to see the Jays get a head start on the offseason by adding a big bat - preferably left handed - but since it's very rare that a claim actually goes through (paging Alex Rios...), it becomes a question of whether you think the Jays will get a better deal in trade now than they would this winter. I could definitely see them making a claim on a guy who's a pending FA, to help our current depth issues and audition a guy they might be interested in signing. David Ortiz springs to mind, but again the Red Sox would almost certainly just recall him.

(Although the Farrell rumours do pose an interesting wrinkle in all of this... I'm still inclined to extend Farrell, but if the Jays aren't sold on keeping him, that opens up some possibilities...).
I have a sneaky little suspicion that he's going to come here in the off-season as a Free Agent. Him and Jose are close, and the situation in Boston is toxic right now.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I'm hoping it spells the end of Woodward in our system. Anyway, I think it would be smart to move Deck up to AAA. They need to keep him moving and hope he turns it around which I hold out hope that he can.
I think so too.

As for Woodward, I think he wants to coach. Offer him a job if there's no room for him. And Im not sure there is other than on the bench.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Last night, I threw together a spreadsheet of the available free agent pitchers coming up this fall. I was trying to find a way to consolidate xFIP and SIERA ratings from 2011 and 2012, and kick out a nice top ten list in terms of who's available. Here's my top ten if you guys are interested:

1. Zach Grienke
2. James Shields (O)
3. Joe Blanton
4. Anibal Sanchez
5. Dan Haren
6. Jorge De La Rosa (O)
7. Brandon McCarthy
8. Colby Lewis
9. Scott Feldman (O)
10a. Edwin Jackson
10b. Shaun Marcum

The guys with 'O's have team opions. So it remains to be seen if they're picked up or not. I left out a few free agents because of age. Blanton, to me, is the biggest surprise, and would probably be the cheapest on that list.
Nice work there, Jim. It would be great for the Jays to be able to use their (reported) financial flexibility to pry Shields from Tampa, but I honestly can't see the Rays not picking up the option. I do think they're better served using free agency to address a 3/4 arm, and going the trade route to get a top-of-the-rotation guy with a more affordable and controllable (there's that word lol!) contract, so I think Greinke is out. Blanton is very interesting, but I suspect that we'll more likely see someone like Marcum or Lewis coming this way.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
I have a sneaky little suspicion that he's going to come here in the off-season as a Free Agent. Him and Jose are close, and the situation in Boston is toxic right now.
Exactly why he came to mind. Batting Bautista/Ortiz/Encarnacion 3-4-5 would be a huge hurdle for opposing pitchers, even with 36-yr-old Big Pappi's inevitable decline. Just might be nice to get him here a few weeks early, get him used to the city, the staff, and give the Jays a better fill-in option than rushing Lind back (or ever playing Lind again!).

Old
08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:

1. Zach Grienke
2. James Shields (O)
3. Joe Blanton
4. Anibal Sanchez
5. Dan Haren
6. Jorge De La Rosa (O)
7. Brandon McCarthy
8. Colby Lewis
9. Scott Feldman (O)
10a. Edwin Jackson
10b. Shaun Marcum

You missed Haren's Mutual Option, which is essentially a team option after the year he's had. I still think it gets picked up, being essentially a $12M salary (15.5-3.5 buyout), but if he hits FA, he's gotta be Alex's top priority, I would think. Veteran ace who's value is a little down so he would be willing to sign a shorter-term deal (3-4 years probably) at a more reasonable salary than most aces. I'd give him 4 years and $12-14 million per season. Same with Shields, though like you said, very unlikely he hits FA.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

If the Jays did decide to part ways with Farrell, who would you want to see as Manager next season? I don't know from managers, so I've got no idea.

Someone internal, like Butterfield? A proven veteran? A hardass? A "players' manager"? Or is there a bright-eyed youngster out there who tou think will grow into the next Joe Maddon? Who do you think would work the best with this young lineup while keeping guys like Bautista and Encarnacion happy? Come to think of it, are there any legitimate Hispanic candidates? Former players from the Dominican, for example?

I'm sure if I work at it I can think of another dozen or so ways of asking the same question, but you get the general idea.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
If the Jays did decide to part ways with Farrell, who would you want to see as Manager next season? I don't know from managers, so I've got no idea.

Someone internal, like Butterfield? A proven veteran? A hardass? A "players' manager"? Or is there a bright-eyed youngster out there who tou think will grow into the next Joe Maddon? Who do you think would work the best with this young lineup while keeping guys like Bautista and Encarnacion happy? Come to think of it, are there any legitimate Hispanic candidates? Former players from the Dominican, for example?

I'm sure if I work at it I can think of another dozen or so ways of asking the same question, but you get the general idea.
Most people would probably say Francona.

Internally, Butterfield is the best option.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

You'd probably have to do a bit of juggling if you want to fill the managerial role internally. Like switching Wakamatsu to 3rd base, Luis Rivera at bench and promote Sal Fasano as the assistant coach. Unless the Jays would just flat out relieve Don as well and hire a new third base coach.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
You'd probably have to do a bit of juggling if you want to fill the managerial role internally. Like switching Wakamatsu to 3rd base, Luis Rivera at bench and promote Sal Fasano as the assistant coach. Unless the Jays would just flat out relieve Don as well and hire a new third base coach.
They might just hire a new third base coach, Wakamatsu seems to be well liked by the players/management.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:25 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
One potential free agent pitcher to keep an eye on is Dan Haren. He has had a bad year and is owed $15 mil next year but if he continues to struggle I doubt the Angels pick up that option. Dan Haren if healthy could anchor the Jays starting rotation. The only other concern seems to be Haren may prefer the left coast. Through his career he has played for St Louis, Oakland, Arizona and now LAA. AA would probably have to sweeten the pot to get him to come east.
I think they pick up Haren's option and allow Santana to walk. Either way, I'd love to have either of those 2 as a solid #2-3 option.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:

Wakamatsu with Sal Fasano being promoted to the major league staff. He is well liked and is a former coach who was in a bad situation with a rebuilding Mariners squad.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:06 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Wakamatsu with Sal Fasano being promoted to the major league staff. He is well liked and is a former coach who was in a bad situation with a rebuilding Mariners squad.
I think Waka will at very least be the interim manager if not the replacement like you said. Apparently had a very good relationship with players in Seattle. I'd feel comfortable with that.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:50 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
There is no chance Farrell is let go this offseason.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
There is no chance Farrell is let go this offseason.
I don't think so either. Just going through a possible scenario.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:40 PM
weems

Good to hear Beeston just now on the fan basically saying its not time to get serious and that they will be aggressive in the offseason.

He also made a comment that winning basically goes along with spending in baseball so it would seem the payroll will get a nice boost.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Good to hear Beeston just now on the fan basically saying its not time to get serious and that they will be aggressive in the offseason.

He also made a comment that winning basically goes along with spending in baseball so it would seem the payroll will get a nice boost.
I assume you meant he said it's time to get serious?

Doesn't surprise me. AA hinted he might be aggressive at the FA pool, particularly at the SP. Sure doesn't hurt that Jays have seen a nice boost in attendance.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
If the Jays did decide to part ways with Farrell, who would you want to see as Manager next season?

Buck Martinez

Old
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Smallz

Shawn Marcum (FA)
Matt Garza (Trade)
One of the Angles IFs - Howie Kendrick, Erik Aybar, or Albert Callapso (Trade)

will become Blue Jays this off season in my opinion

Old
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
From Diamond Joe's list, I want:

Marcum + Haren.

Additionally, if we could acquire Ortiz, then that would be incredibly awesome

3B - Lawrie
CF - Razzle Dazzle
RF - Joey Bats
DH - Big Papi
1B - EE
C - D'Arnaud
SS - Escobar
LF - Davis
2B - Hechavarria (anyone but Kelly Johnson)

1. Brandon Morrow
2. Dan Haren
3. Ricky Romerlol
4. Shaun Marcum
5. J.A. Happ

LHRP - Aaron Loup, Darren Oliver
RHRP - Steve Delabar, Brandon Lyon, Brad Lincoln, Carlos V
Closer - Casey Janssen

Without a ******** amount of injuries, that team should challenge for a wildcard spot.

Arencibia can be used as trade bait.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
From Diamond Joe's list, I want:

Marcum + Haren.

Additionally, if we could acquire Ortiz, then that would be incredibly awesome

3B - Lawrie
CF - Razzle Dazzle
RF - Joey Bats
DH - Big Papi
1B - EE
C - D'Arnaud
SS - Escobar
LF - Davis
2B - Hechavarria (anyone but Kelly Johnson)

1. Brandon Morrow
2. Dan Haren
3. Ricky Romerlol
4. Shaun Marcum
5. J.A. Happ

LHRP - Aaron Loup, Darren Oliver
RHRP - Steve Delabar, Brandon Lyon, Brad Lincoln, Carlos V
Closer - Casey Janssen

Without a ******** amount of injuries, that team should challenge for a wildcard spot.

Arencibia can be used as trade bait.
I believe Santos will be ready for spring training, so I think he gets the closer spot, Jansen has been great, but Santos was brought in for a reason. IMO Lyon and Carlos V looks for a starting gig, he deserves to start.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
would be nice to see Marcum back.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
I believe Santos will be ready for spring training, so I think he gets the closer spot, Jansen has been great, but Santos was brought in for a reason. IMO Lyon and Carlos V looks for a starting gig, he deserves to start.
Villaneueva absolutely deserves a spot. Frankly, he deserves a starting rotation spot. He's been absolutely great for us and he will beat out the likes of Drabek and others (McGowan? anybody still believe in him?) for a roster spot.

Happ is a borderline starting 5, but he's no worse than anybody else we have in the #4 and #5 spot. If anything he's serviceable, and can give us innings next season we might actually need them.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
In case you guys missed the interview with Beeston: http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/08/23/beeston_pts/

Closed Thread