HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Cap Issue?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2005, 02:20 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Cap Issue?

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, and I beat dead horses in my spare time, so here we go again...

The proposed cap that Bettman desires calls for around a 31M hard cap. With that in mind, most high-end European players would be making the same amount of money in European leagues closer to their home country. With top notch NHL talent staying overseas, teams would be replacing them with North American bodies that would normally not see significant NHL ice-time. Without contraction (we know how Bettman feels about that issue) the league would water down more than it already has. I'm a bit worried...

Old
01-20-2005, 02:20 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I think you are over-thinking the issue at hand....

Old
01-20-2005, 02:23 AM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, and I beat dead horses in my spare time, so here we go again...

The proposed cap that Bettman desires calls for around a 31M hard cap. With that in mind, most high-end European players would be making the same amount of money in European leagues closer to their home country. With top notch NHL talent staying overseas, teams would be replacing them with North American bodies that would normally not see significant NHL ice-time. Without contraction (we know how Bettman feels about that issue) the league would water down more than it already has. I'm a bit worried...
The cap would never be at 31 million, the players (if they did accept cost certainty) would try their hardest to bump it up to 38 - 40 million. Also, there could be franchise player cap stipulations, like the NFL, so the european players would not be making as much as they would in Europe, they would still make more in the NHL.

Old
01-20-2005, 07:25 AM
PecaFan

The proposed cap was $38.6 million, let's call it $40 for easy calculation. *Everybody* on the team can take home nearly $2 million a season.

Europe won't come anywhere close to that.

Closed Thread