HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Who is your all time "most underrated" Leafs goalie?

Old
08-18-2012, 04:29 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
Potvin was always my favourite.

Trevor Kidd and Belfour were a comfortable duo

glasses91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
1) Mike "the popcorn kid" Palmateer

He was fun to watch in an era that had Darryl Sittler, Lanny MacDonald, Tiger Williams, Borje Salming and Ian Turnbull playing in front of him.

2). Felix "the cat" Potvin

The Cat was the backbone of the Dougie Gilmour era and lead the team to its success in 1993 and 1994 when Leafs went back to back to the final 4.

Both were also original Leaf draft picks and developed within in and for someone that has supported "play the kids" and build through the draft, these 2 goalies are my underrated because both exceeded expectations.
Mike Palmeteer (my favorite goalie) was far from underrated. Back then, the whole league knew he was a good tender

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:10 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Mike Palmeteer (my favorite goalie) was far from underrated. Back then, the whole league knew he was a good tender
yup, same with Potvin.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:11 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
Jiri Chra........and maybe Damian Rhodes
I always liked Rhodes. I didn't think that he was ever a world beater but was always second string here. I saw him in Newmarket playing for the Saints a couple of times and he was great.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelimo View Post
Any votes for Tom Barrasso?
Ironically Wregget out played Barrasso in Pits and won the job there...

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Gustavsson
Aubin
Schwab
Puppa
Parent.
Parent would have been something real special for us. Besides Parent, Wregget was more underrated then all the goalies on your list - served as a Maple Leaf longer than any of the goalies on your list - and had amazing playoff runs - which is more then I can say about any goalie on this list. I don't mean to be harsh - just reading some of the names on people's list, I find your list the most realistic when it comes to underrated goalies.

Names like: Reimer (has to atleast have a few playoff runs before he can become "underrated". Right now - he's basically a neverwas), Cujo? Potvin? Bester (more like overrated)...none of these names were ever underrated here in Toronto. They were stars from day one.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Grant Fuhr.
Agreed. He was amazing until Potvin came up and took his job.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
I agree Reimer. I think he is just gonna be a stud for us.
Reimer is not underrated, he's overrated at this point and time. Lots of goalies come up, when no one knows them, and have an amazing streaks in the season, almost instantly. He hasen't really proven anything, nor has he had a long enough tenure to be deemed "underrated". Younger Leaf fans are still overrating him at this point and time. There is no way anyone can tell what he'll become for us - because the kid has always been inconsistent, with the worst glove hand since Vessa Toskala.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Honestly? Gustavsson.

People can laugh if they want, but there is no way you can expect a goalie to be consistent when you are not being consistent with him. He got dicked around by Wilson and co. a lot. When he had more than one start in a row, he would often put in a great performance.

I am not saying he was a #1 goalie, but if handled correctly, him and Reimer should have been able to successfully backstop this team. Most people blame the players, but the coach is more a psychologist than anything else, and I think it is obvious that Wilson's style did not work with Gus.

Not to mention all the personal issues that he had during his time here. I feel for the guy.
Again - put GUS in the overrated list. I'm talking about underrated goalies like Wregget, Palmateer, Parent, etc - not overrated hacks like GUS, Toskala, Raycroft, Bester, Ing, Reese, Puppa, Barrasso, et al. GUS was a victim to Burke over hyping the kid - and a weak heart. Highly touted like many of the goalies I listed - suppose to be the "one" and turned out to be a slightly better version than Mikael Tellqvist. Just trying to keep this thread on track.

Underrated meaning - someone who turned into a gem, someone we didn't expect to be anything, someone we never heard of , someone who had to play second fiddle to a worse goalie like Wregget did to Bester, like Parent did to Plante.... etc

Old
08-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Federko

Another underrated Leafs goalie that never got his due because he was almost third fiddle to names like Ing and Reese (god knows why) was Mark LaForest.

I saw a game at Maple Leaf gardens where LaForest made almost 12/13 saves in a span of 4 minutes until the Blues finally scored. It was a goalie clinic I haven't seen since. I wish they would have ran with LaForest instead of some of the hacks we had playing net for us at the time...

Old
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Under-rated & or under-appreciated topping that list would just have to be the aforementioned Parent, however, he wasnt as good a goalie when he arrived as when he left. Under his childhood idol Jacques Plantes guidance, he became the complete package. For whatever reason, he gets swapped back to Philly for Doug Favell, who I always thought was terrific as well. A real firecracker & highly competitive, aggressive. Injury sidelined him & it wasnt until Palmateer came along that we had a better than just "good" goaltender. Bruce Gamble as well was another guy I always thought was under-rated. Least ways when he wasnt having a massive coronary in the crease. Dreadful sign at the Gardens that some fan always had hanging around; "Dont Gamble, Play Plante". Real nice.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
makbeer

Not that he was great, but raycroft was underrated here. He set a record for wins as a Leaf goalie and got chased out of town.

I would say he was average to slightly below for us that season, but treated like he belonged in the beer leagues.

makbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Leafmon1

It seems as though lots of folks are giving the net-minders their just due here. One that I liked was Martin Gerber. I know it was a quick stint but he had some serious attitude out there and didn't put up with crap, and he was pretty damn good considering what he had in front of him. I don not understand why he was not brought back the next season really, but I know he effed up the tank nation crew. Flame on...

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Felix Potvin & Ken Wregget.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:13 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

for me it was Jiri Crha

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:17 PM
67Cup

It was probably Harry Lumley. Lumley became the starter for the Red Wings and led the to the Cup in 1950. He was dropped in favor of a young Terry Sawchuk, arguably the greatest goalie of all time. Lumley was traded to the then pathetic Hawks. The Leafs who were in a trough after the glory of four cups in five years from 47-51, rescued him from the Hawks.

He backstopped the team for four seasons, including probably the best season for a goalie in Leafs history, and one of the best for any team. He won the Vezina, was a first all star and set the NHL all time record for most shutouts in a season with 13. He repeated as first all star the next season.

After a solid but less distinguished season in 55-56, he was traded back to the Hawks. He refused to report and spent most of the rest of his career in the minors.

Many folks remember Johnny Bower and some recognize the name Turk Broda. But I bet most fans here wouldn't even know the name Lumley.

I would call a forgotten Vezina winner, all star and record holder underrated!

67Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:49 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
for me it was Jiri Crha
+1 jiri

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
The Kessel Run

Awesome shot of Jacques Martin rocking a sweet mustache in that youtube vid.

I think you gotta go with Allan Bester. He was a lil' warrior.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
The Kessel Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
Another underrated Leafs goalie that never got his due because he was almost third fiddle to names like Ing and Reese (god knows why) was Mark LaForest.

I saw a game at Maple Leaf gardens where LaForest made almost 12/13 saves in a span of 4 minutes until the Blues finally scored. It was a goalie clinic I haven't seen since. I wish they would have ran with LaForest instead of some of the hacks we had playing net for us at the time...
All three of those guys were abysmal.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:11 AM
diceman934

Bruce Gamble......won the cup with Toronto and suffered through some bad teams......

I can still hear "oh and Gamble"......very underrated.

Last edited by diceman934: 08-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.
diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:15 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
Parent would have been something real special for us. Besides Parent, Wregget was more underrated then all the goalies on your list - served as a Maple Leaf longer than any of the goalies on your list - and had amazing playoff runs - which is more then I can say about any goalie on this list. I don't mean to be harsh - just reading some of the names on people's list, I find your list the most realistic when it comes to underrated goalies.

Names like: Reimer (has to atleast have a few playoff runs before he can become "underrated". Right now - he's basically a neverwas), Cujo? Potvin? Bester (more like overrated)...none of these names were ever underrated here in Toronto. They were stars from day one.
Statistical note of interest: career SV % only .003 less than Fuhr.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kessel Run View Post
All three of those guys were abysmal.
LaForest was great for his short stint. I also said Ing and Reese were abysmal. Re-read my post. Then answer according

Old
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kessel Run View Post
Awesome shot of Jacques Martin rocking a sweet mustache in that youtube vid.

I think you gotta go with Allan Bester. He was a lil' warrior.
Bester was overrated in Toronto. He got too much net time when it should have been Wregget or anybody else. Remember the old joke? "Bester tried to commit suicide but the train went through his legs.." - this is now a popular joke for many crap netminders but it started, or was created because of Bester.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Statistical note of interest: career SV % only .003 less than Fuhr.
Did you see Bester play? Do you remember how fans felt about him during his tenure as a Leaf? Have you seen Wregget's playoff stats as a Leaf?

Old
08-20-2012, 11:00 AM
KapG

Felix Potvin gets my vote. Even though he wasn't really underrated while he was here...He doesn't get much mention now a days.

Probably my favourite Leafs goalie of all time. I remember always being "the cat" when I was in net for road hockey when we were younger..

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote