HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is your all time "most underrated" Leafs goalie?

Old
08-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Federko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
+1 jiri
+2 jiri

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:30 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
Did you see Bester play? Do you remember how fans felt about him during his tenure as a Leaf? Have you seen Wregget's playoff stats as a Leaf?
Yes, yes I did. I don't concern myself too much with what fans think of players. I've watched how they treated Larry Murphy, Eddie Belfour, Bryan McCabe, Mats Sundin etc.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
60 Carlton Street

Don Beaupre

I dont believe he ever won a game as a leaf.

But seriously Damian Rhodes

60 Carlton Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:09 PM
The Kessel Run

Quote:
LaForest was great for his short stint. I also said Ing and Reese were abysmal. Re-read my post. Then answer according
I wasn't attacking your post. Just expressing my opinion on those 3 tenders.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
MapleReef

No Question

Jiri Crha no doubt about it.

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Bruce Gamble

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Yes, yes I did. I don't concern myself too much with what fans think of players. I've watched how they treated Larry Murphy, Eddie Belfour, Bryan McCabe, Mats Sundin etc.
We're talking about Leafs fans correct? Leaf fans loved/love Belfour & Sundin... Maybe you are referring to posters on Leafs HF BOARDS with regards to those two..but even on here I still feel like many posters, especially the young ones - have major man crushes on players like Sundin....Belfour....

and what can you say about McCabe and Murphy - I bet if you go through the entire league each team has it's own example of players such as the two mentioned....

Old
08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kessel Run View Post
I wasn't attacking your post. Just expressing my opinion on those 3 tenders.
My bad. Thus, I agree with you on two out of the three mentioned.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:36 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
We're talking about Leafs fans correct? Leaf fans loved/love Belfour & Sundin... Maybe you are referring to posters on Leafs HF BOARDS with regards to those two..but even on here I still feel like many posters, especially the young ones - have major man crushes on players like Sundin....Belfour....

and what can you say about McCabe and Murphy - I bet if you go through the entire league each team has it's own example of players such as the two mentioned....
Short memory I guess. You want to talk to me about Bester but don't even remember Leaf Nation booing Belfour before he ever even played a regular season game. I'll stick to the fact that I hold Leaf Nation's opinions of Leaf players in low regard.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 620
Quote:
Short memory I guess. You want to talk to me about Bester but don't even remember Leaf Nation booing Belfour before he ever even played a regular season game. I'll stick to the fact that I hold Leaf Nation's opinions of Leaf players in low regard.
I remember that. Belfour had a rough start in Toronto and the fans were on him early. Very happy that he didn't let the boos get to him and he shut the stupid fans up as the season went on.

I'm not sure about underrated goalies but Palmateer was one of my favs as a kid.

True story: During one summer while taking power skating lessons in Centennial Arena, we had just come off the ice and we're getting our skates and that off. One kid came running in the room shouting that the Leafs were practicing in the other rink (Centennial had 2 rinks). So we all put our skates back on and went over to get autographs. The likes of Sittler, MacDonald, Turnbull, Salming, Tiger Williams and Palmateer were there and I had my stick signed by all of them. They also invited us on the ice to play for 20 minutes. One of the highlights of my childhood. Sadly though, being a kid, I kept using the stick they had signed and of course it was eventually broken and tossed away. Wish I'd been a little smarter back then.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:56 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I remember that. Belfour had a rough start in Toronto and the fans were on him early. Very happy that he didn't let the boos get to him and he shut the stupid fans up as the season went on.

I'm not sure about underrated goalies but Palmateer was one of my favs as a kid.

True story: During one summer while taking power skating lessons in Centennial Arena, we had just come off the ice and we're getting our skates and that off. One kid came running in the room shouting that the Leafs were practicing in the other rink (Centennial had 2 rinks). So we all put our skates back on and went over to get autographs. The likes of Sittler, MacDonald, Turnbull, Salming, Tiger Williams and Palmateer were there and I had my stick signed by all of them. They also invited us on the ice to play for 20 minutes. One of the highlights of my childhood. Sadly though, being a kid, I kept using the stick they had signed and of course it was eventually broken and tossed away. Wish I'd been a little smarter back then.
That is a pretty cool story.

Pretty ****** decision with regards to the stick though, not sure why you would have ever used it in the first place once it was signed, regardless of whether or not you were a kid at the time lol..

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:09 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
That is a pretty cool story.

Pretty ****** decision with regards to the stick though, not sure why you would have ever used it in the first place once it was signed, regardless of whether or not you were a kid at the time lol..
Yeah I wasn't exactly the brightest kid back then. Wasn't very good at thinking to the future. I also made the dumb mistake of playing "scrambles" with my hockey card collection a few years later. Had well over 500 cards (California Seals, Colorado Rockies, Atlanta Flames etc etc) and one day just decided I was too old to collect them anymore.

Like I said, not too bright. Now the only collector items I have are my Roots Leafs watch and a panoramic shot of the opening faceoff between Chicago and the Leafs on the final game in Maple Leaf Gardens.

Anyway, apologies for derailing this thread.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:27 AM
noBSleafsFAN

Aubin

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Honestly? Gustavsson.

People can laugh if they want, but there is no way you can expect a goalie to be consistent when you are not being consistent with him. He got dicked around by Wilson and co. a lot. When he had more than one start in a row, he would often put in a great performance.

I am not saying he was a #1 goalie, but if handled correctly, him and Reimer should have been able to successfully backstop this team. Most people blame the players, but the coach is more a psychologist than anything else, and I think it is obvious that Wilson's style did not work with Gus.

Not to mention all the personal issues that he had during his time here. I feel for the guy.
LOL....I came here to write the same thing.........sarcastically. LOL at the "Gus" lovers. LOL. I really don't understand the latitude and admiration for certain lousy players and the disdain and wrath for others....Why? Gustavsson had ample opportunity to succeed on a team where there was never a clearcut number one goalie with a GM who absolutely loved him and a fanbase who cut him a lot of slack. He could have taken the bull by the horns and ran with the top spot. He didn't. He didn't come close. He was mediocre at best. So many excuses afforded to poor ole Gus when he simply couldn't get the job done. Now he is gone. It was the absolute right move to cut ties with him. Won't miss him for one minute.

My choice for original question is Felix Potvin.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Stephen

Anyone say Corey Schwab? Probably gave us the most solid backup goaltending since Damian Rhodes.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:03 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Statistical note of interest: career SV % only .003 less than Fuhr.
Statistical note of interest: Fuhr has 5 Stanley Cups.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Transplanted Caper

Palmateer. I don't think you can name someone who was a halfway decent back-up as the most underrated. While he wasn't at the level of the elite Leafs goalies of the past, Palmateer is probably the one who is lost in the discussion the most.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Statistical note of interest: Fuhr has 5 Stanley Cups.
Indeed. Nice playing on a stacked team, isn't it?

Old
08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post

That's a dying shame! Would have been a great souvenir. My mother used to teach Boom Boom Geoffrion's kid and got a poster autographed by the whole team, back when the Habs were one of the best teams in the history of the league. She gave it to her brother (who was a Hab fan). Despite hating the Habs, I sure wish I had that poster.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:20 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
I agree Reimer. I think he is just gonna be a stud for us.
I think both he and Scrivens have the potential to be very good goalies. That being said, I would like to see them grab a veteran from somewhere to help bring them along and, most importantly, to take the pressure off of them. Imagine how great a mentor Brodeur would have been if the Devils hadn't stepped up at the last minute! Now I don't expect them to pick up anyone approaching Brodeur's stature, I just hope for someone solid enough to be a steadying influence while Reims and Scrivens develop further.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Federko

Quote:
I never said I didn't remember Leafs Nation booing Ed Belfour. Nice try tho.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I think both he and Scrivens have the potential to be very good goalies. That being said, I would like to see them grab a veteran from somewhere to help bring them along and, most importantly, to take the pressure off of them. Imagine how great a mentor Brodeur would have been if the Devils hadn't stepped up at the last minute! Now I don't expect them to pick up anyone approaching Brodeur's stature, I just hope for someone solid enough to be a steadying influence while Reims and Scrivens develop further.
I agree with your post - and yes we need a vet to come in and help reims and scrivens develop. That said - they are both not anywhere close to being one of the most "underrated" goaltenders in our history. Infact, I would suggest that Reims is very overrated for multiple reasons - but that's for another thread.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I agree with your post - and yes we need a vet to come in and help reims and scrivens develop.
Don't know what Francois Allaire would be doing then.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Don't know what Francois Allaire would be doing then.
Maybe a vet that is on board with Allaire's program would further help instill where Reims and Scrivens need to be. As well, I believe a vet can help the young goalies with the "ups and downs" , the emotional rollercoaster, that is an 80 game hockey season. It appears that our young guns burn out by February the last couple of years. Perhaps, they need to a vet who can help them understand that they need to pace themselves a bit...

Old
08-21-2012, 02:18 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
I never said I didn't remember Leafs Nation booing Ed Belfour. Nice try tho.
Do you normally boo the ones you love? Your wedding day should be a riot.

"Do you take this woman..."

"BOOOOOO!!!!!! HIISSSSSSSS!!!!"