HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If things continue as is...

Old
08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
abhanot

vCash: 500
If things continue as is...

... what lines can we go into the season with? and the question we have to answer is, is it time for another mini-rebuild? Is it time to just play some rookies, grab another lottery pick, and "Stop-winning-for-MacKinnon"? Call me stupid, call me crazy, but I want to see some rookies play. NOT FOR THE SAKE OF LOSING. I'm not a supporter of tanking for a top 5 pick, but unless Carlyle's system is working with our defence and our goaltending shows up, it doesn't appear as though we are fairing any better.

My preferred lines:

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
MacArthur-Grabovski-JVR
Frattin-Bozak-Kulemin
Brown-Steckel-McClement

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Liles-Komisarek

Extras: Connolly, Lombardi, Holzer

Reimer
Scrivezina

Forwards:
- Line 1: Lethal line, especially since Kadri has been working with Gary Roberts over the summer to improve his all around game, and an interim internal solution for the #1 centre position until Burke can go ahead an woo Getzlaf next offseason.
- Line 2: Solid 2nd scoring line, with Grabo the great as centre, and Mac Attack and JVR on the wings.
- Line 3: I ideally wanted Colborne to play in Bozie's spot, but I don't know where to put Bozak then... anyways, a solid defensive line that can contribute rather well offensively.
- Line 4: Our shutdown line, with McClement, Stecks, and #Brownbeaut.

Defencemen:
- Line 1: Phaneuf and Gunnarsson... 'neuf said.
- Line 2: I actually wanted this pair last season, Franson has a large amount of potential, and with a great rookie PMD in Gardiner, and Franson's crazy hard shot from the point, this has the makings of great pair. Would also like this to be the #2 PP line.
- Line 3: Just Liles and Komisarek, can't really say much more...

Goalies:
The best we have, IMO, I'd split the workload 50/50.

Cap:
$64,373,333

Cap room left:
$5,826,667

Next season's line-up-in-a-dream-world:

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
Frattin-Grabovski-JVR
Kadri-Colborne-Kulemin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Holzer-Rielly

Reimer
Scrivens

A better team IMO. Assuming Lupul resigns for around $6 million, and Getzlaf for around $7.5 million:

Cap room left:
$14,401,667

*******IMPORTANT: I am not giving up on the team for this season. I am fully supporting the Leafs upcoming season, and I am excited to see what we can do. Everything above is a reason why I am not the GM of any NHL team

Cheers,
Akshay
GO LEAFS GO!

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Well-thought out post - can't say I agree with all of it but well thought out.

From what I've seen, I would go with

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Van Riemsdyk - Grabovski - Kadri
MacArthur - Connolly - Kulemin
McClement - Steckel - Brown

The third line worked last year when Grabovski was injured although ideally I'd like to see MacArthur get traded and have Frattin take his spot on the third line. Having Kulemin and Frattin flying down the wings on your third line is huge and dangerous.

We're not going to get a #1 and I doubt JVR works so keep Bozak there. Kadri would fit well with Grabovski as he likes to set up pretty plays and both Grabovski and JVR love to shoot the puck.

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Holzer

I think Franson will be a top 4 D in the league, he was one of our most underrated players last year. Komisarek will probably take Franson's spot but this is what I would like to see ideally.

Reimer
Scrivens

I'd like a veteran goalie instead of Scrivens because Reimer plays better when there's a veteran backing him up (Giguere). But we'll see how it goes...

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
rdawg1234

Frattins out for injury until december I believe so that's not an issue.

If NOTHING changes, I see this as the lineup:

Lupul-Bozak/Connolly-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin/MacA
Kadri/connolly-Mcclement-Macarthur/Kule
Komarov-Steckel-Brown
Lombardi/Connolly

In december/january I'd say Frattin goes in 3rd line Wing and kule 2nd line wing. Hopefully Macarthur will be traded by then(I think his time with the leafs is up)

then it would be
Lupul-Bozak/Connolly-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kule
Kadri-Mcclement-Frattin
Komarov-Steckel-Brown
Lombardi/Connolly

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Liles-Gardiner
Holzer-Franson
Komi

Reimer
Scrivens

Positives:
Faceoffs-we have a really solid group of centres at faceoffs, both Mcclement and Steckel are strong 52%+ faceoff guys. Steckel being one of the best in the league. Grabo has improved his faceoffs to over 50%+ as of last year, bozak has always been good in that regard.

Scoring- I think we have an abundance of scoring talent, we'll definitely be in the top 10-15 in the league for scoring again IMO. Our top 6 without a #1 C is pretty solid. With a #1 C it will be great.

1st line- Kessel, Lupul will be great, Bozak will be acceptable but still a solid line.
2nd line- Fairly big line minus Grabo, Kule and JVR are moreso power-forward types. Alot of potential in that line.
3rd line- Kadri is ready for the NHL IMO and deserves some minutes, he'll be the scorer on the line, Mcclement and Frattin/Kule can be the strong backcheckers/forecheckers
4th line- Good energy line with Komarov and Brown, Steckel can win some key faceoffs.

Negatives:

Defense- We need another stay at home hard hitting d-man, too many puck-movers. Very mobile though so I expect alot of good plays but not a lot of hits from this defense.

Goaltending- I hate our goaltending going into the year, so damn inexperienced(the least experienced tandem in the league I believe). Too many ifs with goaltending and too much pressure does not give me alot of confidence.

Trade MacA and some prospects and get a goalie, we can afford it, without a goalie IMO no playoffs again.

rating:

Offense-8.5/10. Solid at faceoffs. Solid at scoring. SOME decent size in guys liek Frattin, Mcclement, Kule, JVR. Need a #1 C and maybe a better fitting 3rd line guy.

Defense-7/10. Great mobility and offensively. But guys like Liles, Gardiner, Franson don't hit all that much. Still, Gunnar, Gardiner and Holzer I believe are smart d-men, I just think we need another stay-at home guy(for cheap) to replace schenn. Holzer does off-set the schenn thing abit, but we have some softness in this d-group.

Goaltending-5/10. Biggest risk of the bunch, Reimer has not proven anything to me, neither has scrivens, it's a boom or bust move and there's probably more of a chance they won't pan out. AT LEAST bring in Huet IMO. But hopefully we trade for Luongo.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Just because Kadri is working with Roberts doesn't mean he'll magically become a star this season. Sure he'll be stronger and more explosive, but his mindset also needs to be right. If he commits to becoming a smarter player who can play both ends of the ice, I think he'll be a good top six forward. If he goes back to his old habits I don't see him lasting long with Carlyle.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
i dont feel safe with reims and ben as our 1 and 2

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
JVR - Connolly - Kessel
Lupul - Grabo - MacArthur/Kadri
Frattin//Bozak - McClemant - Kulemin
_____ - Steckel - Brown

Line 1: Improved defensively with JVR and Connolly both being an upgrade defensively over who they would take over from last year (at least in my opinion). JVR would be able to provide some board work and Connolly is that playmaker being able to feed both Kessel and JVR who can both finish.
Line 2: Sheltered minutes scoring line. Nobody is incredibly stellar defensively, Grabo would be able to handle the bulk of that but it is sheltered minutes so they could probably control the play for most of the time they are out there. Kadri if he makes the team should be on this line I think in which case MacArthur I believe to be 100% expendable and probably should be traded.
Line 3: This would be the shutdown line. Bozak would be on this line until Frattin comes back. Once Frattin comes back, we probably have injury problems elsewhere (I'm looking at you Connolly) and Bozak can fill in wherever needed. McClemant and Kulemin wold probably be rock solid for this.
Line 4: This is the 4th line, we could have someone make the team out of camp so I left the black space. Brown is pretty much a lock at this point I think. Steckel I believe will still be there since I don't think we have anyone ready to take over that center position just yet.

I know people will tell me no to this line up since I split up Kessel and Lupul. My answer to that is for all we know JVR will have better chemistry. If he doesn't we pretty much end up having the same line up as last year.

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - _____
Liles - Komi

Pretty much same as last year with the ___ where Schenn was. I don't see Franson being with the leafs to start the season so I didn't include him. I still think we will be acquiring another defenseman somewhere and that's who can fill in the current blank spot.

Reimer
Scrivens

Currently as it stands that is what it will be. I think we start the season like this, but I don't think we end it like this. I think we trade for a goalie during the season, Luongo seems likely to me.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:35 PM
abhanot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Just because Kadri is working with Roberts doesn't mean he'll magically become a star this season. Sure he'll be stronger and more explosive, but his mindset also needs to be right. If he commits to becoming a smarter player who can play both ends of the ice, I think he'll be a good top six forward. If he goes back to his old habits I don't see him lasting long with Carlyle.
Kadri is consistently one of the hardest working prospects we have. And training with Gary Roberts shows initiative and his willingness to work hard to stick with the big club. Also, Steven Stamkos needed defensive help, and he spent a summer training with Roberts, and he excelled, both offensively and defensively. Not saying Kadri puts out 60 goals, but the hard work at one end helps in the other end.

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

#GolfingforMonahan? Irish last name, (Burke) Big, strong 2 way potential 1C.
Quote:
At 6-foot-2-inches, Monahan owns great size and has an uncanny ability to find open ice to score those timely goals. Monahan is a powerful pivot with great athleticism and his smooth skating stride makes him capable of creating space for himself and teammates. The soon-to-be 17-year old is mature beyond his years and it translates to his game on the ice. Monahan displays the patience needed to succeed in today’s game and thrives with the puck on his stick. Defenders must keep good gap control as Monahan has a full arsenal of offensive skills. He can beat you one-on-one, saucer a pass to a teammate or simply snap one by you on the fly. - Brendan Ross, Dobber Hockey

Monahan really broke out last season offensively and garnered much interest among OHL fans. While his offensive numbers are very impressive, you should not count out his defensive abilities either. A very strong two-way player, Monahan should contribute even more on the top line this season. - The Hockey News.

Last edited by Leafs For Life*: 08-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
IBeL13f

Am I the only one who thinks that JVR down the middle might actually work? Carlyle's already said that it won't be a one-off experiment, he wants to give it some time to see how he might develop into the role. Van Riemsdyk's been taking the opportunity pretty seriously from what I understand, and has been spending some of his off-season reviewing tape of what Carlyle expects out of a a Centerman. I have this weird feeling that he's just gonna run with this.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that JVR down the middle might actually work? Carlyle's already said that it won't be a one-off experiment, he wants to give it some time to see how he might develop into the role. Van Riemsdyk's been taking the opportunity pretty seriously from what I understand, and has been spending some of his off-season reviewing tape of what Carlyle expects out of a a Centerman. I have this weird feeling that he's just gonna run with this.
No your not the only one. Count me in!

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhanot View Post
Next season's line-up-in-a-dream-world:

<snip>

Reimer
Scrivens
Does not compute.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:02 PM
glasses91

ill be watching the marlies....

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kadri
MacArthur-McClement-Kulemin
Brown-Steckel-Komarov

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Liles-Komisarek

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 892
Lupul - JVR - Kessel
Kadri - Grabo - Kulemin
MacA - McClement - Connolly/AHL call-up (D'amigo?)
Komarov - Steckel - Brown

*Frattin replaces MacA when he is done recovering

No harm in trying JVR at Center, if it doesn't work we put Bozak back there.... I still think our forward crop will look different by the time the season starts. If JVR works at Center, I don't see what we do with Bozak (Since Burke stated McClement was acquired to be the #3C) Would he play alright on the 3rd line wing?

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner - Franson/Holzer
Liles - Holzer/Franson
Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

Community is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Anyone else worry about the Leafs having an actual shut down line? I think this type of thing is crucial when facing teams with very good top lines (NYR, PHI, NJ, OTT, etc.)

08-13-2012, 10:45 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Macarthur-Colborne-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Bozak

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Holzer
Liles-Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Van Riemsyk - Grabovski - Kadri
Kulemin - Connolly - MacArthur
McClement - Steckel - Brown
Komarov

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Komisarek
Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Van Riemsyk - Grabovski - KULEMIN
kadri - McClement - MacArthur
Komrov- Steckel - Brown
connolly
lambo

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
gardiner - Franson
liles - Komisarek
Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:57 PM
glasses91

lupul bozak kessel
jvr grabo kadri
kule mcclement mac
orr steckel brown

bolded for boston

gunner phan
gardiner komi/holzer
liles franson

offersheet subban ftw

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:47 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Anyone else worry about the Leafs having an actual shut down line? I think this type of thing is crucial when facing teams with very good top lines (NYR, PHI, NJ, OTT, etc.)
Not really. Carlyle's a lot better at matching lines than Wilson ever was or will be. Unlike Wilson, Carlyle will try to minimize the amount of time Kessel spends against opposing top lines.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

If I had my way:

Forwards:
Lupul - VanRiemsdyk - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - Kadri
Lombardi - Bozak - MacArthur
Komarov - McClement - Brown

OUT: Connolly, Steckel
INJURED: Frattin

Defense:
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Liles - Gardiner
Franson - Holzer
Komisarek

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:35 AM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Let's not send Kadri into the ****storm of centering Kessel. Let's give him a chance on the 2/3rd line where he can put up hopefully a solid 40 points and build from there.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:38 AM
thrillhouse99

Top 6:
Lupul - JVR - Kessel
Connolly - Grabovski - Kadri

Top 4 D
Phaneuf - Komisarek
Liles - Gardiner

If things work out things could be good!

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:44 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Holzer

I think Franson will be a top 4 D in the league, he was one of our most underrated players last year. Komisarek will probably take Franson's spot but this is what I would like to see ideally.
Franson's awful defensively, and pairing him up with the Gardiner may be asking for trouble. Until he sorts our his defensive game, I don't want to see him in a top 4 role. I think both him and Gardiner would benefit more from a veteran partner. Liles and Gardiner seemed to work fairly well at the beginning of last season, but that leaves a Komi and Franson pairing, which would be slower than slow can be.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:01 AM
AK1990

Guys hate to break it to ya....theres not going to be hockey next year. To be honest as much as it sucks it will be a good thing for Toronto. Our rookies can all have a year to develop longer and be ready to dominate by seasons beginnings in 2014. Not to mention we'll have a better chance of getting number 1 pick as we'll be considered bottom 5 again and there will be more balls in lottery for numero uno MacKinnon!!!!!!

Better get use to watching another dominating toronto sports team in the toronto craptors!!!!!

AK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote