HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Vintage Todd Bertuzzi

Old
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
DatsyukianDekes

vCash: 500
Vintage Todd Bertuzzi

http://theclassical.org/articles/the...knock-out-club

Here's a nice story from a young lady remembering her encounter with Todd Bertuzzi when she was an 11-year-old AAA goalie.

DatsyukianDekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:12 PM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
I will be glad when he is gone.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:49 PM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I will be glad when he is gone.
why? do you think ken holland will not find another 38 year old gabage player?

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:45 PM
FissionFire

Stories like this are nothing more than fiction until a credible source can verify it. Seems like nothing more than piling on to Todd Bertuzzi to try and create a buzz and following. After all, let's not forget what is listed right at the end of the entry.....

Quote:
Jesse Ruddock writes songs and fiction. She reps Guelph, Ontario, lives in Brooklyn, and tweets @kokobonaparte.
....and that post sure didn't look like a song to me. Just sayin.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Even if this story is true, what do the actions of a careless teenage Bertuzzi have to do with a matured 37-year-old Bertuzzi? You think he's the same person he was twenty years ago?

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:40 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I like turtles.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Sameheda

Oh Jesus Christ. What a stupid, pointless, accusatory article. What is even the point?

I don't know if she was trying to be funny, but there was nothing amusing about it. Some people just never seem to get over a grudge, no matter how ridiculous they make themselves sound.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Human Thumb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Stories like this are nothing more than fiction until a credible source can verify it. Seems like nothing more than piling on to Todd Bertuzzi to try and create a buzz and following. After all, let's not forget what is listed right at the end of the entry.....

....and that post sure didn't look like a song to me. Just sayin.
great logic

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:54 AM
icKx
What now?

Teenager acts immature.

More at 11'

icKx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:34 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
What's the point of this?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
What a smear piece.

A couple things not to defend the incident, it was bad. But people HAVE died in hockey games, maybe not the NHL but slashes in Europe, intentional boardings. To call it the worst act in hockey history is stupid. Might be the best known one in the NHL and it might be the worst in the NHL, but I am not on board with worst ever.

Also glad this author has no moments in her history that she isn't proud of. Must be really hard for her to dismount from her high horse.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:13 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
What a smear piece.

A couple things not to defend the incident, it was bad. But people HAVE died in hockey games, maybe not the NHL but slashes in Europe, intentional boardings. To call it the worst act in hockey history is stupid. Might be the best known one in the NHL and it might be the worst in the NHL, but I am not on board with worst ever.

Also glad this author has no moments in her history that she isn't proud of. Must be really hard for her to dismount from her high horse.
Maybe the worst result, but based on intent I do not think Bert would even rank top 10 with all the stick swings at heads and faces, stomps with skates, WWE turnbuckle smash reenactments, etc. we have seen over the years.

cjm502 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:11 PM
DatsyukianDekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
Maybe the worst result, but based on intent I do not think Bert would even rank top 10 with all the stick swings at heads and faces, stomps with skates, WWE turnbuckle smash reenactments, etc. we have seen over the years.
^^

DatsyukianDekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:48 PM
ZetterBurger

Does she really expect people to believe that a teenage Todd planted a slapshot that got wedged IN her face mask? Does anyone realize how improbable that is? This seems like a bit of fact surrounded by a lot of fabrication.

She was on her way to becoming one of Canada's elite goalie prospects, yet she backed in to her crease in fear of Todd? She woke up to the smell of burnt rubber? Spends the entire article smearing Bertuzzi. I'm not taking this one seriously at all.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Human Thumb*

subterfuge lies in unrest knowing holmes here is on the case

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
She's a Harvard grad with a good history and background.

Bertuzzi was a thug, has lived up to his reputation but now he's older so he can't goon it up as much.

I'm not saying either side is being honest but take off the damn glasses for a moment.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 08-20-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: political/flaming
opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
She's a Harvard grad with a good history and background.

Bertuzzi was a thug, has lived up to his reputation but now he's older so he can't goon it up as much.

I'm not saying either side is being honest but take off the damn glasses for a moment.
I don't think where you went to college should have anything to do with your credibility. What you don't think even mighty Harvard has some embarrassing alumni? Best I can tell she has done quite well in music and photography fields and maybe not quite as well with her English B.A. degree from Harvard. We are still waiting for her first novel she has written in response to several articles critically and of course this wonderful piece but very little else is out there on her. Sure she is very smart, but that doesn't mean she is to be believed word for word. As someone else pointed out do you know how hard it is to cave in the goalie helmet and/or cage?

I don't know how quickly masters are completed at the University of Toronto and if the Canadian system takes a little longer. But it would not surprise me if she has had an overlap with Steve Moore while at Harvard. Interesting to say the least, you use her University to establish credibility but those in the hockey community there might have one of the biggest axes to grind with Todd Bertuzzi.

Like I said before she can write what she wants as long as it isn't totally fabricated and he sues her pants off. Something I would be careful of with a guy that might have to pay a big settlement, just my opinion. But I have trouble believing every part of this article. Do I think Bertuzzi is a great guy? No, not really. I think his teammates like him and he can be good guy, but occasionally he makes mistakes. Guess what so do I, just glad nobody follows me around with cameras or reports my every move. Also that not one of my mistakes went as poorly as the Moore incident.

Maybe he didn't come across very nice to her, maybe he shot the puck to hard. But the story makes him look like a movie bad guy, a cartel kingpin, some giant menacing presence that can do nothing but wrong and dash dreams in an instance. Sorry still not buying it, even if she was a mensa member and Harvard graduate it seems like a smear piece.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
jroc86

Who cares? Even if this story is somewhat true Bert was an 18year old kid (albeit in the body of a mountain ox) that certainly had no intentions of hurting this chick ... he probably was trying to go bar down clapper from close range to impress the kids, accidentally hit the kid, probably felt awful, and got over it 5 minutes later.

Concssion/KO from it hitting her in the cage is where I call ********. If it cracked the kid on the skull/mask part of the helmet I could see a head injury -but right in the chicken wire there wouldnt be an issue.

Also searched her name and found nothing on hockey DB so Im thinking this is ******** if she apparently got a scholly to Harvard as a tender.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
She said she got stunned and smelled the burnt rubber from the puck. I doubt an 11 year old has an NHL level cage on either as no one that age can shoot that hard.

My point wasn't whether or not it was true, but that you guys were piling on her like she had some sort of history - the only person with a history here is Bertuzzi.

As I previously stated, take off the glasses and be subjective.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Does anybody actually believe they just dragged an unconscious 11-year-old girl to the corner of the ice and left her to wake up? Or that burnt rubber was actually on her cage from a 80 MPH slapshot?

The time period for this story is 1993, not the Dark Ages. Reality: Todd clocked a young girl in the head with a shot, shook her up, and she's held a grudge ever since.

When I was her age I routinely played goal with high school players, and yeah, sometimes you took a shot that stunned the **** out of you. A coach once clocked me so hard by accident my cage had a screw break off. Shots get away from you. It happens.

I guess I should write a short story about the abuse.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:19 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I guess I should write a short story about the abuse.
Please do, Sir Bench. Did you play with any goons?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Please do, Sir Bench. Did you play with any goons?
Yes indeedy. Luckily most of them were defending for me.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote