Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Best Moments of 2011-2012 Season

Old
08-04-2012, 02:18 PM
C Plus

vCash: 505
Best Moments of 2011-2012 Season

The first year back had so many great moments that I'd like to comment on and hear some of the moments that were extra special to the rest of you. I'll begin:

The most obvious:
Opening game vs. Montreal

What needs to be said? April 28th, 1996 was the last real Jets game I got to witness before October 9th, 2011. People outside the arena hours and hours before puck drop on that Sunday afternoon we'd all been anticipating since May 31st. Nik Antropov scoring the first goal when it actually mattered, before the Canadiens had run away with the game. In a 5-1 loss everyone still stood and cheered the fact that NHL hockey was finally back where it belongs, in Winnipeg.

Teemu Selanne returns to Winnipeg

I honestly don't see anyone topping Teemu as my favourite pro athlete of all time. Just a great person, all the while being one of the best players to ever lace up a pair of skates. Jate crowds are relentless towards opposing players, no one on the other team escapes Jets fans' wrath.. That is, except Teemu Selanne. He was cheered wildly for assisting on another team's goals, something I suspect you will never see again at MTS Centre. We were lucky to have a man like Teemu play for us in Winnipeg, and I'm so glad that night he came back it was undeniable how much we as a city and province appreciated him.

Pre-Season Game vs. Columbus

Generally pre-season games mean very little to a team's fan base, this was one of the rare exceptions. The first "game" in a sold out arena definitely meant something. The video board intro video, the players actually hitting the ice for the first time... It was electrifying..Then Buff comes out destroying anything in a different coloured jersey within the first 10 seconds Sooo good.

I have more, but I'll open up the floor here. I'd love to hear your fondest memories of the return season!

C Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
First 11 seconds of this game was pretty memerable:

First goal:

Last edited by Winnipeg Jets: 08-04-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Wedgeden

vCash: 500
The buildup to the first game. The NHL party at the Forks and BTO singing "We Just Got Back The Jets!" That was.... Amazing!

Wedgeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:01 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50

Dustin Byfuglien says hi to Winnipeg

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
sully1410

Clearly... The flying W.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:22 PM
dhfromkw

The Jets' home win against Boston on a Friday night in February. A horde of people chanting "Boston sucks! Boston sucks!", on their way out of the arena was such a neat scene for me.

dhfromkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Alain Racette

This one was pretty sweet

and this:

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:16 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

1. Opening shift of the first pre-season against Columbus.

2. The last 5 minutes of the Jets first win against Pittsburgh. That crowd was amazing!

3. The only game i got to see at the MTS center, happened to be Teemu's return. So emotional.

4. Meeting Mark Chipman and thanking him at the Flames game in Calgary.

5. Every time the Jets won at home, and saluting the crowd. I don't expect them to continue that in season 2.

All of these were in no particular order.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:45 PM
PaperRockChamp

--Giving the highest-of-fives to anyone and anything heading into the arena for the first exhibition game

--First HNIC in Winnipeg

--First win/home win

--Wheeler and Thorburn vs. Buffalo

--Ending Boston's streak

--The Wheeler show

--Byfuglien vs. Columbus

--"Roli" Chant

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Damascus

This made me so pumped for the season to start!

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

These are the best moments from games I had the fortune to attend this year

1) Opening Game: Apart from the obvious... Despite a comedy of errors, and not making it downtown as early as I wanted, I was at MTSC before the gates opened. Got to hear an atrium full of people cheering "Bettman! Bettman!" as the commissioner walked in the front doors. Also got to go right down to glass level for the warmup -- something that the usher in my section has not allowed me to do in any game since (new policy?).

2) Crosby's Better: It turned out to be my last Jets game of the season, and the importance of that victory against the mighty Caps, and the famous chant, were just awesome.

3) He's no Teemu, but...: The Ducks game might have been my 2nd choice after the home opener, but I knew I'd be out of the province for my friend's wedding, which was on the same day as the game. I flew out the morning before, and who stands beside me as I'm waiting for my luggage? David Thomson. It was very cool to meet him, shake his hand, and personally thank him for bringing the Jets back. We talked for a few minutes about the team's return, and his trip to Winnipeg. He spoke highly of Enstrom's eagerness and enthusiasm to get playing again (he was injured at that point).

4) Canes goalies taunted: Don't remember which Canes game this was (Dec. 9 maybe??), but the crowd had been on Boucher pretty hard all night. (BOU-CHER, BOU-CHER) They pulled him, and immediately, the crowd started chanting CAM-WARD CAM-WARD to greet the new netminder.

5) TV Time: Getting on TSN Jets right near the end of the Islanders game right before Christmas was pretty sweet. The guy I was with had a sign saying "Ready if You Need Me," along with the helmet, hockey gloves and Jets jersey to show that he was, indeed, equipped to play. Tied late in the 3rd, they put the two of us on and said something like, "Yeah, the Jets might need him after all!"

6) Fitting First Win: My first time witnessing a Jets win from the stands had two things in common with the last Jets win I had ever seen in person, back in 1995: The victory came against the Devils, in December.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:36 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

Timmy's OT goal vs. Caps (03.23.2012)

Down three nothing but the Jets end up winning in OT to hang on to their playoff hopes (as small as they were).

Just seeing the Jets bench jump up when Stapleton scored was just so awesome. Almost had a playoff feel to it.

Last edited by JustBeCool: 08-04-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: NO IDEA HOW TO ADD YT LINKS?
JustBeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:52 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

7-0 win over Florida:

Coming back from 3-0 to beat the Capitals:

Scheifele's first goal:

Kane's ridiculous goal against the Islanders:

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:21 PM
C Plus

vCash: 505
Ah, it's so nice to have the NHL back.

Many of my other moments have been mentioned as expected. The last game of the season, the Flying W, ending Boston's streak...

Here's one more for you. The Jets would lose this game in overtime, but it sure wasn't because of Pavelec...

C Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:42 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
I couldn't attend any games at the MTS Centre, but I watched all but 2 of them on the TV. Most of these stand out for me as premiere Jets moments of the last season.

-First home game winner (goal 8 seconds in, courtesy of Zybnek Michalek)

-Teemu's return to Winnipeg garners many standing Os and satisfied my curiosity about how the Fans would handle booing a player (boo the linemates, cheer Teemu )

-7-0 win against Florida of epic proportions.

-9-8 football game vs Philly

-Coming back from a 3-0 to win in OT vs the Caps.

-Oduya netting the OT winner against Buffalo when Kane drew 3 Buffalo players over to him, leaving Oduya wide open.

-Thorburn's toe-drag goal against Buffalo, Wheeler's breakaway goal.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Easily the preseason game against Columbus. I liked how the Jets came storming out onto the ice, rather than the long drawn out intro with the Montreal game. It suited my expectations so much better than I ever could have imagined.

I also liked how the NHL began to recognize how insane a fan base we are.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:51 AM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

Mine is the Wheeler breakaway against Buffalo. Huge game at the time and everything from the rising roar as Wheeler broke in to the ping of the crossbar to the pandemonium in MTS after the goal to Wheels' celebration was just pure hockey. Even hearing Gord Milller call the goal on NBCSN here in the States was a cool little trip down memory lane. Also the only time last season that a national audience in the US got to see the Jets and MTS at their best...

ATHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Hobble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIdgIE45Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0WDKAW2a_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFvOzjq3QhY

Plus, I couldn't find a video of "We want Ilya!"

But I have to say my favorite game was the one against Boston. They were on that 10 game winning streak, and everyone was probably expecting us to lose, but despite the odds, the Jets won on a beautiful goal by Little!!! I was in the building, I think that was the loudest I've ever heard.

Last edited by Hobble: 08-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Repoman

Man all of the above were awesome moments.

I will add one that has not been mentioned yet but clearly sticks out in my mind: The Phoenix game at MTS center. Every time any coyote touched the puck the roar of boo's was amazing. I figured it would last maybe to the end of the first period. Not a chance. The entire game, every time phoenix touched the puck the chorus of boo's was outstanding. I could barely talk the next day at work.

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

Dustin Byfuglien says hi to Winnipeg
Haha, I hadn't watched hockey in ages and never really followed the Thrashers... I thought wow I hope he plays like that all the time.

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Crazed Fan

Jack Skille getting rocked by Byfuglien

http://youtu.be/p7m4QcxvDJs

Jack Skille getting rocked by Ladd

http://youtu.be/junmfHqJqhM

Then during the 7-0 Jets win over Florida, Stuart gave Skille a little taste, knocked his helmet off and added a couple of shots to the face for good measure.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

IIRC that was his only fight of the year.

Kanes feed to Oduya was a thing of beauty. Considering he was on the wrong wing I'm thinking it was set up like that from the beginning.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:43 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
IIRC that was his only fight of the year.

Kanes feed to Oduya was a thing of beauty. Considering he was on the wrong wing I'm thinking it was set up like that from the beginning.
Ladd had another fight in Tampa, I believe, towards the end of the season. I can't remember who his dancing partner was, though.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:26 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

My comment was in response to the Buff fight, I guess the other response snuck in there.

Ladd fought Hedman. That's the one where the US feed was crying that Ladd threw a cheap shot when the CBC feed clearly shows Hedman threw the first punch.

The difference between the two broadcasts is hilarious.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 02:41 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
My comment was in response to the Buff fight, I guess the other response snuck in there.

Ladd fought Hedman. That's the one where the US feed was crying that Ladd threw a cheap shot when the CBC feed clearly shows Hedman threw the first punch.

The difference between the two broadcasts is hilarious.
Guess you're wrong and right at the same time cos Buff fought in the pre-season (CBJ, albeit not many punches thrown) and reg season (FLO, right after Skille broke Enstrom's collarbone)

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote