HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN - NHL & NHLPA to meet on Wednesday

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2005, 05:04 PM
ILuvLA

vCash: 500
TSN - NHL & NHLPA to meet on Wednesday

Here's the link
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=111647&hubName=nhl

Old
01-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Venom_17

They are just going to agree to cancel the season...the players are dumb for not giving in by now. Just watch, by next year they will submit to the cap. Many of them cannot afford to just sit on their butts. And how long can a guy play in Europe before he gets homesick and wishes he was in the NHL?

Old
01-17-2005, 09:29 PM
guzmania

The players have taken the high road in this spat. Their offer was more than fair and was delivered to men who care nothing about anything but their pocketbooks. The season could have started with savings that were real, that would have come out of the pockets of men who have negotiated their pay in good faith and love the game enough to try to save it by giving what they have every right to keep to play the game they love. The duplicitous owners have a position reminds me of the North Vietnamese in Paris who stalled the talks by arguing about the shape of the table so that by wasting time would put them in a better position to topple the South. I will watch hockey again, but I am prepared to abandon the NHL. The longer the league plays this hardline strategy the longer I will boycott their game. WHA, listen up, I would welcome a team in Southern California, and gladly return to the Fabulous Forum, eschewing the "let them eat cake" Staples Center for a chance to see less big business and some shots on goal. Mr. Anschutz I have 2 words, Dump Bettman.

Old
01-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
The players have taken the high road in this spat. Their offer was more than fair and was delivered to men who care nothing about anything but their pocketbooks. The season could have started with savings that were real, that would have come out of the pockets of men who have negotiated their pay in good faith and love the game enough to try to save it by giving what they have every right to keep to play the game they love. The duplicitous owners have a position reminds me of the North Vietnamese in Paris who stalled the talks by arguing about the shape of the table so that by wasting time would put them in a better position to topple the South. I will watch hockey again, but I am prepared to abandon the NHL. The longer the league plays this hardline strategy the longer I will boycott their game. WHA, listen up, I would welcome a team in Southern California, and gladly return to the Fabulous Forum, eschewing the "let them eat cake" Staples Center for a chance to see less big business and some shots on goal. Mr. Anschutz I have 2 words, Dump Bettman.

Hey I agree with you all the way. However, I just can't see the players gaining ground in the end. If I were a player, I would rather take my cut from 8M to 4M this year than take it in a year's time after not receiving a paycheque. Furthermore, the longer the players wait, the less bargaining power they have to set the number of the cap. Imagine that the players negotiated a cap in July...I'm sure it would be higher than it will be when they negotiate it in September, December, whatever.

Old
01-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
IMO the players must find a way to salvage the season. If the season will be lost, you can bet the talks between NHL and NHLPA won't resume at least before the end of Summer, so the risk to loose another year is a clear possibility (as Gretzky already stated). Don't forget NHL players usually don't get paid from April to October, so don't expect the 2 enemies to meet during this period.
Who do you think is going to loose this battle? A group of billionaires who owns hockey teams more or less as an hobby or the players? I mean, the owners can afford to loose 1,2,3, 10 seasons...the players CAN'T. I'm wondering what are thinking the players who don't make 4-5 milion $ per year at this point. It's not fair, I know. It's just business. The owners hold the knife from the right side, this is something the NHLPA must understand.

Old
01-18-2005, 04:48 AM
Capn Brown

I firmly believe that if Bettman was fired tomorrow, there'd be NHL games starting next week. Seriously, what good thing has this clown done for the game of hockey? At one point, he actually wanted to change the 3 period system to 4 quarters. Dammit, I want the "Smythe Division" back!

Old
01-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
I firmly believe that if Bettman was fired tomorrow, there'd be NHL games starting next week. Seriously, what good thing has this clown done for the game of hockey? At one point, he actually wanted to change the 3 period system to 4 quarters. Dammit, I want the "Smythe Division" back!
About Buttman and Goodenow, if the season will be canceled, they both have to be fired IMO.

Old
01-18-2005, 07:52 AM
KingsFan7824

"Dammit, I want the "Smythe Division" back!"

Now those are words worth reading.

I think, but hope would be the better word, that both sides know that the NHL cannot survive an entire season, including playoffs and cup final, being canceled. I hope they know this is their last chance. They have roughly a week to save some kind of season.

At this point, I put nothing passed either side, but this little meeting has to have some substance. If it's a meeting to just agree to cancel the season, then they're just killing themselves. Better to do that with a handful of people in a room, far less mess.

However, I still have a small part of me that hopes there could be some light. I'm just some naive idealist, but this is it. This meeting is the last chance. A small part of me thinks they can actually put money aside, and do what's right for the game. But then I remember what millions of dollars are(not that I have personal knowledge of such things), and that takes me back to reality.

Damn I loved the Smythe.

Old
01-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824
However, I still have a small part of me that hopes there could be some light. I'm just some naive idealist, but this is it.
It's exactly my feeling, even if it's just a feeling.

Old
01-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Jungle Boy

Maybe because we are getting to the time of the year that clubs earn money, and maybe with a CBA that would last for a short time (2-3 years) with some attractives such as salaries rollback...(new owners mentality when it comes to signing players) and a arbitration that helps the league... maybe.
And if @$$holes like Yashin says that they won´t play for $4M with 1 year of their contracts remaining let them freeze their ***** Europe carrying their bags, traveling on uncofortable busses, earning 5% to 10% of what they earned in the NHL.

I read somewhere in the net, That if player and owners can reach a deal there will be a 36 games season.
My question is pretty simple. sign one or two top 6 fwds players and try to make the playoffs (depending who we add, that´s a possibilitie, remember last year) or tank the season in favor of Mr. Crosby (this team is too good, and AM system won´t help it happen, to be that bad)?

Last edited by Jungle Boy: 01-18-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old
01-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Albi

LA Times report

Old
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
There's Going To Be Another Similar Meeting Tomorrow!!! This Is The Last Chance For The Season To Be Saved Imo.

Old
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
kings1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
There's Going To Be Another Similar Meeting Tomorrow!!! This Is The Last Chance For The Season To Be Saved Imo.
This meeting is going to work. There is know way they will miss a season. Remember it's not only players and owners. Other buisnesses, sponsors and the DWP.

Old
01-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Venom_17

I can't help but agree...one of the major problems, if not the biggest, is that Bettman and Goodenow are having a pissing contest. It would have been smart to have had new blood from Day 1 negotiating this thing. If the season is cancelled, that is a travesty to the game. No excuses, both men should be sent packing. Let Gary go mess up some other professional sport that he has no clue about.

Old
01-20-2005, 08:59 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks

hahahah, now that's funny! i wonder if he ever thought about penalizing for goaltending

Closed Thread