HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Red Fishers Top 10 Habs ......

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Yeah, so ? Snappy comeback eh ? Actually, I've got no problem with the list and I enjoyed the articles. I think we just veered off into media perception and stuff like that. That kind of interests me, where people get their info. and whose voice they trust, but we sort of jumped the track. Bill, it's him not me. That's what my brother used to do and it worked for him.
I should have been clearer. I wasn't criticizing what you guys were saying, rather trying to add my 2 cents about it, namely that it was just about sports and Red Fisher. I met Red Fisher once. What is the proper expression : "crusty old curmudgeon" or "crabby old curmudgeon" ? I agree with JapanMontrealExpat, Red could use a fresh perspective (and new metaphors, "a thunderous noise engulfing the arena" was fun only the first 30 times), but he does always remind people of one very important thing : Hockey is just a game.

Old
02-01-2005, 11:41 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
I should have been clearer. I wasn't criticizing what you guys were saying, rather trying to add my 2 cents about it, namely that it was just about sports and Red Fisher. I met Red Fisher once. What is the proper expression : "crusty old curmudgeon" or "crabby old curmudgeon" ? I agree with JapanMontrealExpat, Red could use a fresh perspective (and new metaphors, "a thunderous noise engulfing the arena" was fun only the first 30 times), but he does always remind people of one very important thing : Hockey is just a game.

In the 70's if I read Rejean Houle and his 'great and good friend' Marc Tardif one more time... The difference between crusty and crabby is that crusty seems sort of endearing while if you're crabby, you're just a pain in the butt. My wife calls me crabby, though I'd prefer crusty. I figure I've got 10 more years before 'curmudgeon' applies. BTW, I heard Bowman on the radio this am talking about the list. He spoke of how Serge Savard was underrated in terms of all time d men, and how if anyone left off the list came to mind, esp. from his teams, he spoke of Lemaire. He spoke a bit about Doug Harvey and how in his mind Howe and Harvey were his 1 and 2 players.

Old
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

Quote:
Holy Jeez, you guys are overanalyzing a bit. Red Fisher arrives at 50 years covering the habs, so he picks a top ten from those 50 years. He figures that goalies will "skew" the selection", so omits them (face it, 3 goalies would have made the top ten). He figures Rocket Richard was past his prime during those years, puts him at no. 2 if only because of his leadership and what he meant to the team and the whole province. What's the big deal ? (Apart from the fact I got 9 out of 10)
Gros Bill, I'm not overanalyzing, so much as venting about what bugs me about Red as a narrator. McPhee, be careful about the transition to carmudgeon. I think one sure sign is wearing your pants higher and higher. If the top of your pants start creeping over the top of your gut, to your mid-chest, then you gotta do something. Find the elixir of youth (over here, we drink green tea), get a mistress, get an earring, but do something.

Edit: included is a case of the high and tight pants that is considered a sure sign. Some friends and I spotted this prime specimen at a barbecue, and we decided to write a "scientific paper" out of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg highTight.jpg‎ (68.9 KB, 12 views)

Old
02-01-2005, 10:07 PM
mcphee

Don't worry. I signed a pre-nup enabling my spouse to have me euthanized if I ever went to the high pant look.

Old
02-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Gros Bill

Hey, there's nothing wrong with the high pants look! In fact, I find that it shows off my muscular and sinewy glutei maximi, while camouflaging my beer barrel abdominals (I was going for the six-pack look, but, alas!, I went too far).

Old
02-04-2005, 01:49 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

Quote:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the high pants look! In fact, I find that it shows off my muscular and sinewy glutei maximi, while camouflaging my beer barrel abdominals (I was going for the six-pack look, but, alas!, I went too far).
6-pack abdominals are kind of a misnomer: it's just not true that they can be achieved by drinking copious amounts of beer. You do realize that if you have your high pants look going, and you're talkin' to one of those kids who cultivate the currently hip (for how long?), low-pants look, it looks like you have absolutely no basis for a discussion. How do you begin to bridge the gap?

Old
02-04-2005, 07:03 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
6-pack abdominals are kind of a misnomer: it's just not true that they can be achieved by drinking copious amounts of beer. You do realize that if you have your high pants look going, and you're talkin' to one of those kids who cultivate the currently hip (for how long?), low-pants look, it looks like you have absolutely no basis for a discussion. How do you begin to bridge the gap?
Pant level seems to be an important but oft ignored staple of male life. Thankfully, I'm blessed to have a spouse who is always quick to point out, 'pull up your pants, you look like you crapped your drawers.' Surrounded by this kind of love, it's no wonder I'm a leading barometer of fashion. I think confusion over this issue has contributed to our beloved but absent poster Dutchy adopting the pantless lifestyle.

Other looks that are always classy are the long short, high sock look, wherein about 8 cm of leg is exposed.Popularized by elderly British gentleman not used to sunshine. MY personal favorite male fashion statement is the speedo style swimming trunks, preferably black, worn with black cotton socks, stretched as high as possible, worn with black loafers. Leaving the Sandbanks Beach near Picton, Ont. at some point in the late 70's, we encountered a specimen of this attire walking towards us. My friend, armed with a camera, needed to photograph him and quickly ordered myself and an accomplice to stop and turn around. While pretending to take a picture of his 2 loutish buddies, the unsuspecting quarry was captured forever. Going thru some old pictures, I still have this one.

Old
02-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Pant level seems to be an important but oft ignored staple of male life. Thankfully, I'm blessed to have a spouse who is always quick to point out, 'pull up your pants, you look like you crapped your drawers.' Surrounded by this kind of love, it's no wonder I'm a leading barometer of fashion. I think confusion over this issue has contributed to our beloved but absent poster Dutchy adopting the pantless lifestyle.

Other looks that are always classy are the long short, high sock look, wherein about 8 cm of leg is exposed.Popularized by elderly British gentleman not used to sunshine. MY personal favorite male fashion statement is the speedo style swimming trunks, preferably black, worn with black cotton socks, stretched as high as possible, worn with black loafers. Leaving the Sandbanks Beach near Picton, Ont. at some point in the late 70's, we encountered a specimen of this attire walking towards us. My friend, armed with a camera, needed to photograph him and quickly ordered myself and an accomplice to stop and turn around. While pretending to take a picture of his 2 loutish buddies, the unsuspecting quarry was captured forever. Going thru some old pictures, I still have this one.
Holy Toledo! If he had manboobs that was my uncle Ned.

Old
02-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the high pants look!

DON'T EVER SAY THAT IN SCOTLAND!

Old
02-06-2005, 12:11 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

Quote:

I once impersonated that kind of individual at a Halloween party. My neighbour at the time was a seamstress, and she made me a flesh-colored body stocking, which I filled with rubber foam in all the requisite places (had to get a decent gut goin', as well as a sizeable backside). Topped it off with the skimpiest bathing suit I could get at a sex shop (the usual Speedo kind were not deemed revealing enough...). All this to provide empirical evidence that the area of the swimsuit is inversely proportional to the girth of the wearer (this maxim probably being my main contribution to science). I still have pictures somewhere on my old website at McGill... http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/users/maudette/zany.html

Closed Thread