HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Grigorenko or Strome?

View Poll Results: who would you rather have?
Mikhail Grigorenko 57 46.72%
Ryan Strome 53 43.44%
they are about even 12 9.84%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2012, 08:40 AM
  #26
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,686
vCash: 500
Grigorenko

__________________
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
  #27
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
I have no idea why this pole is in favour of Grigs. Easy vote to Strome.

Grigorenko has good offensive talent: shot, passing, vision, decent skating. But he is one of the most 1 dimensional prospects right now. He tends to float on many shifts, doesnt back check much, doesnt use his size and is playing on a very talented team. I say he has a slightly higher potential than Strome but its close.
Full potential IMO: 82 games, 45 goals, 45 assists and 90 points.(I doubt he reaches it.) I think he will be a 30 goal, 35 assist guy on most years.

Now Strome. 20 goals, 39 assists and 59 points in 30 games. I dont think I have to go on about his offensive talent. He is also more willing to go into the corners, hit, play gritty and backchecks more than Grigs. He is putting up 2ppg while playing sound D. Now I think Strome's ultimate potential is 35 goals, 50 assists and 85 points. Playing on the second line after JT will probably drop him to around 25 goals, 40 assists and 65 points.

So I have a feeling Grigs will be a 1 dimensional, dissapointing 1st line center while Strome will be an excellent 2nd line center.(Only because John Tavares is the 1st liner.) I will take Strome.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:15 PM
  #28
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I have no idea why this pole is in favour of Grigs. Easy vote to Strome.

Grigorenko has good offensive talent: shot, passing, vision, decent skating. But he is one of the most 1 dimensional prospects right now. He tends to float on many shifts, doesnt back check much, doesnt use his size and is playing on a very talented team. I say he has a slightly higher potential than Strome but its close.
Full potential IMO: 82 games, 45 goals, 45 assists and 90 points.(I doubt he reaches it.) I think he will be a 30 goal, 35 assist guy on most years.

Now Strome. 20 goals, 39 assists and 59 points in 30 games. I dont think I have to go on about his offensive talent. He is also more willing to go into the corners, hit, play gritty and backchecks more than Grigs. He is putting up 2ppg while playing sound D. Now I think Strome's ultimate potential is 35 goals, 50 assists and 85 points. Playing on the second line after JT will probably drop him to around 25 goals, 40 assists and 65 points.

So I have a feeling Grigs will be a 1 dimensional, dissapointing 1st line center while Strome will be an excellent 2nd line center.(Only because John Tavares is the 1st liner.) I will take Strome.
what? how on earth is a 1st line center disapointing?

when looking at NHL potential this poll should favour Grigorenko. His game is much more complete than people give him credit for. Grigorenko has improved defensively as much as any 2012 pick in the last year, he has no defensive game when he came to North America.


Last edited by 1972: 12-02-2012 at 05:23 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:28 PM
  #29
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
what? how on earth is a 1st line center disapointing?

when looking at NHL potential this poll should favour Grigorenko. His game is much more complete than people give him credit for. Grigorenko has improved defensively as much as any 2012 pick in the last year, he has no defensive game when he came to North America.
He will be a dissapointing first line center. As in wont reach expectations and not be a very good 1st line center. He will be on the 1st line since Buffalo doesnt have very good centers. And I live in Quebec, he is NOT good defensively. I see him play.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
  #30
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
He will be a dissapointing first line center. As in wont reach expectations and not be a very good 1st line center. He will be on the 1st line since Buffalo doesnt have very good centers. And I live in Quebec, he is NOT good defensively. I see him play.
Buffalo has some pretty promising centers in Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons and a couple others with outside shots so if Grigorenko becomes a #1 in Buffalo he would be a very good player and would be a great pick at #12, he can be as good as any foward in the draft. Since you consistently watch Grigorenko what do you think are the major flaws holding him back? and what are your thoughts on Sorenson?

Ive never been to conserned with a players defensive game in juniors because alot of time dominate players are too good for the league and wont focus too much on there own end because they can get away with alot, defence is a commitment and when you have as much skill as Grigorenko it isnt to hard to learn. He could improve his physicality but that may come when he bulks up his frame as he seems pretty lanky compared to guys like Galchenyuk, Murray, Yakupov ect. Grigorenko will never be a physical players though.

He has the size, IQ, and the talent to be a top 15 center in the league, its up to him if he gets there.


Last edited by 1972: 12-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
  #31
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Buffalo has some pretty promising centers in Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons and a couple others with outside shots so if Grigorenko becomes a #1 in Buffalo he would be a very good player and would be a great pick at #12, he can be as good as any foward in the draft. Since you consistently watch Grigorenko what do you think are the major flaws holding him back? and what are your thoughts on Sorenson?

Ive never been to conserned with a players defensive game in juniors because alot of time dominate players are too good for the league and wont focus too much on there own end because they can get away with alot, defence is a commitment and when you have as much skill as Grigorenko it isnt to hard to learn. He could improve his physicality but that may come when he bulks up his frame as he seems pretty lanky compared to guys like Galchenyuk, Murray, Yakupov ect. Grigorenko will never be a physical players though.

He has the size, IQ, and the talent to be a top 15 center in the league, its up to him if he gets there.
He has all the tools but he needs to improve his all-around game and consistency. Those are the major flaws I see in his game. When the puck is on his stick, he is a magician but he rarely creates his own chances. He needs someone to get the puck to him. So pretty much his off puck play. Physical play and defensive zone awareness too.

Sorensen is not a 1st round pick in my eyes. Double the inconsistency of Grigs. Skating is decent, not overly impressive. He doesnt shoot much but has a dcent shot, not afraid to be physical when needed and plays O.K in his own end for a 17 year old. He doesnt seem to be great in any area of the game but isnt bad either.

I am not a scout so feel free to judge but dont expect proffesional analysis either. I watch the games but dont focus on every aspect of these 2 players games.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:08 PM
  #32
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
He has all the tools but he needs to improve his all-around game and consistency. Those are the major flaws I see in his game. When the puck is on his stick, he is a magician but he rarely creates his own chances. He needs someone to get the puck to him. So pretty much his off puck play. Physical play and defensive zone awareness too.

Sorensen is not a 1st round pick in my eyes. Double the inconsistency of Grigs. Skating is decent, not overly impressive. He doesnt shoot much but has a dcent shot, not afraid to be physical when needed and plays O.K in his own end for a 17 year old. He doesnt seem to be great in any area of the game but isnt bad either.

I am not a scout so feel free to judge but dont expect proffesional analysis either. I watch the games but dont focus on every aspect of these 2 players games.
Absolutely agree that he needs to improve his all around game and consistency, would love to see him increase his intensity level too. What I imagine you're saying by he rarely creates his own chances is that he skates into the zone and generates rushes on his own, that's not his game, however, why does one need to do that to be successful? I'll point to a very successful NHL'er called Joe Thornton who doesn't have blazing speed and has looked lazy at times as a player who has done a lot of damage with his creativity with the puck.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Grigorenko to turn into Joe Thornton, if we get a 80 point scorer, I'll be thrilled. However, I don't think it's out of line to suggest that his vision and playmaking are the best out of this draft. His game definitely has some deficiencies but what prospects at 18 don't have problems with their game that they need to tweak?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
  #33
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Absolutely agree that he needs to improve his all around game and consistency, would love to see him increase his intensity level too. What I imagine you're saying by he rarely creates his own chances is that he skates into the zone and generates rushes on his own, that's not his game, however, why does one need to do that to be successful? I'll point to a very successful NHL'er called Joe Thornton who doesn't have blazing speed and has looked lazy at times as a player who has done a lot of damage with his creativity with the puck.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Grigorenko to turn into Joe Thornton, if we get a 80 point scorer, I'll be thrilled. However, I don't think it's out of line to suggest that his vision and playmaking are the best out of this draft. His game definitely has some deficiencies but what prospects at 18 don't have problems with their game that they need to tweak?
All prospects need to improve. I completely agree. What I meant by creating his own chances is that he will never go get the puck and start a rush or "do it on his own". I dont mean deke everyone and score but he needs someone to get the puck to him.

I think Thornton is a good comparison actually. Inconsistent but when he is on his game he is great. I do think Jumbo Joe plays better D though.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.