HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Dan Hamuis have a chance to make the 2014 Canadian Olympic team?

Old
08-20-2012, 02:52 AM
hockeywoot

vCash: 500
Tavares-Crosby-Perry
Benn-Giroux-Stamkos
Hall-Toews-Nash
Kane-Bergeron-Seguin

Keith-Weber
Letang-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Doughty

Price
Luongo

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:20 AM
Wisp

So many center options that weren't there before. Tavares, Stamkos, Giroux. If Crosby's noggin is healthy, I think this pushes out Richards and Thornton. Maybe even Getzlaf.

If no Crosby, is Stamkos Canada's number 1 center? Giroux. Not complaining with either.

Last edited by Wisp: 08-20-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:27 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

When Hamhuis was in Nashville, didn't he play on the side with Weber? So I think he realistically has a chance to if Yzerman wants to do the whole chemistry thing again.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Havre

A lot can happen in 1.5 years.

Both Hamhuis and Garrison got a shot at making it.

Havre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I certainly think Hamhuis has a legitimate shot. Players aren't necessarily picked on individual skill, but also on team needs & chemistry. There aren't too many two-way shutdown Canadian defensemen out there who are better than Hamhuis, if they feel they need one he may be picked.

There were some guys picked in 2010 that we likely wouldn't have figured. All of Morrow, Richards, and Bergeron were not lighting the league on fire offensively at the time, I think between them they were averaging around 50 points. They were brought in to fill what Yzerman though was a weakness: two-way play & toughness.

While were on the subject, I don't see many people including Lucic in Olympic rosters. If he continues scoring at around 60 points per season until then, I'd say he's a lock for the same reasons as above. The same could be said with Hartnell, I could see him making it based on his chemistry with Giroux (again, assuming he continues on at ~60pts per season).

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Tavares-Crosby-Perry
Nash-Giroux-Hartnell
Benn-Stamkos-Lucic
Hall-Toews-Eberle
Seguin

Keith-Weber
Letang-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Doughty

Luongo
Price

I might do something like that with my Olympic roster.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
While were on the subject, I don't see many people including Lucic in Olympic rosters. If he continues scoring at around 60 points per season until then, I'd say he's a lock for the same reasons as above. The same could be said with Hartnell, I could see him making it based on his chemistry with Giroux (again, assuming he continues on at ~60pts per season).
Lucic's game is not going to translate on the big ice. He's a bad skater and there's no fighting either. I would be shocked if he's on the team.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:00 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
My Olympic roster:

Nash-Crosby-Perry
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
Benn-Toews-Seguin
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Spezza

Keith-Weber
Letang-Pietrangelo
Subban-Doughty
Campbell

Luongo
Price
Holtby

You need a strong emphasis on team speed and puck moving players with the large ice surface. Size is relatively neutralized.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Lucic's game is not going to translate on the big ice. He's a bad skater and there's no fighting either. I would be shocked if he's on the team.
Again though, you could say the same thing about Morrow or to a lesser extent Richards going into last Olympics. I suppose the difference this time though will infact be larger ice size. Fighting aside, we will need some grit and toughness on our roster. As of right now, I see Lucic as being ahead of most other potential candidates in that category. I may be wrong here, maybe he won't even get a look, but if I were building the team I'd certainly consider him for his physicallity.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Again though, you could say the same thing about Morrow or to a lesser extent Richards going into last Olympics. I suppose the difference this time though will infact be larger ice size. Fighting aside, we will need some grit and toughness on our roster. As of right now, I see Lucic as being ahead of most other potential candidates in that category. I may be wrong here, maybe he won't even get a look, but if I were building the team I'd certainly consider him for his physicallity.
That's a pretty significant difference IMHO. Plus I'd always be concerned whether he wouldn't just get suckered into taking dumb penalties.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That's a pretty significant difference IMHO. Plus I'd always be concerned whether he wouldn't just get suckered into taking dumb penalties.
Yeap. I realize that. Hartnell may be the better option between the two. I wonder if the Olympic team will be practicing much on big ice prior to making many cuts, what do people think? As mentioned, I'd like Lucic but if he looks redundant on a larger ice surface then I certainly would change my mind quickly. Although, until you actually see the guy practice, it's difficult to tell. I don't think the guy has ever played in the WC either.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
You only have to win one game to advance. You lose one game and you are out. One bad hit or stupid sucker punch in a scrum and you could be out of the competition. So what if you beat up the other guys so bad they are going to get worn down and lose the next game - you won't be playing them since you are out. Even if you advance wearing them down does nothing since they won't have.

You just want to roll along: Smooth, smart and steady - none of those words apply when I think of Lucic.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
You only have to win one game to advance. You lose one game and you are out. One bad hit or stupid sucker punch in a scrum and you could be out of the competition. So what if you beat up the other guys so bad they are going to get worn down and lose the next game - you won't be playing them since you are out. Even if you advance wearing them down does nothing since they won't have.

You just want to roll along: Smooth, smart and steady - none of those words apply when I think of Lucic.
You don't want all of your players to be fast-skating danglers, though. Lucic isn't all about hitting and fighting; his main asset is actually being a beast at protecting and cycling the puck, in addition to being a tough net presence. If Steve Y wants to roll 3 scoring lines, at least one should be good at maintaining possession down low and that's where Lucic would come into play.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
You don't want all of your players to be fast-skating danglers, though. Lucic isn't all about hitting and fighting; his main asset is actually being a beast at protecting and cycling the puck, in addition to being a tough net presence. If Steve Y wants to roll 3 scoring lines, at least one should be good at maintaining possession down low and that's where Lucic would come into play.
alternatively, id rather have elite hockey players rather than decent ones

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Proto

I'm amazed how many people think Eberle will be on the team. Yikes.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
So many center options that weren't there before. Tavares, Stamkos, Giroux. If Crosby's noggin is healthy, I think this pushes out Richards and Thornton. Maybe even Getzlaf.

If no Crosby, is Stamkos Canada's number 1 center? Giroux. Not complaining with either.
Richards will not be pushed out for anyone on Sochi. He is probably the best defensive center in the league and was huge for Team Canada last tournament.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Richards will not be pushed out for anyone on Sochi. He is probably the best defensive center in the league .
No. He's not. He wasn't even close to being the best defenseman on his team, either.

Edit: wow, centreman. Long day.

Last edited by Proto: 08-21-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm amazed how many people think Eberle will be on the team. Yikes.
Yeah why put a 22 year old PPG player, who's excelled while wearing red and white, being one of the clutchest players in the history of Canadian hockey

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Yeah why put a 22 year old PPG player, who's excelled while wearing red and white, being one of the clutchest players in the history of Canadian hockey
Because his season was driven by incredible luck. He'll be a 50 point player this year unless he makes a significant leap in his play.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:45 PM
guest1467

Quote:
No. He's not. He wasn't even close to being the best defenseman on his team, either.

Edit: wow, centreman. Long day.
He got the third most minutes for forwards, many of those very tough minutes against top 2 lines. He also put up a decent PPG clip.

Kopitar and Richards were used for different roles. He didn't need to be the 'best' centerman on the team, he just needed to do his job.

He has also won pretty much every title a hockey player can win and is a great leader.

I would be willing to bet my entire bank account that Richards will be on Team Canada in Sochi barring injury.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Because his season was driven by incredible luck. He'll be a 50 point player this year unless he makes a significant leap in his play.
Oh since you seem to know the future so well can you also tell me the winning lotto numbers for the next 649 draw? Going by what Eberle has done so far since his WJC days he's clearly in the mix.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Oh since you seem to know the future so well can you also tell me the winning lotto numbers for the next 649 draw? Going by what Eberle has done so far since his WJC days he's clearly in the mix.
I don't see him in the mix. Not even close. Proto is very much right that Eberle had a fluke of a season that led to him being hugely overrated. Maybe he'll become a better player but right now he's a 55 point player with little defensive awareness considering how stacked Team Canada is at forward, I don't see any need for him.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:29 AM
KISSland

Quote:
He got the third most minutes for forwards, many of those very tough minutes against top 2 lines. He also put up a decent PPG clip.

Kopitar and Richards were used for different roles. He didn't need to be the 'best' centerman on the team, he just needed to do his job.

He has also won pretty much every title a hockey player can win and is a great leader.

I would be willing to bet my entire bank account that Richards will be on Team Canada in Sochi barring injury.
He'd probably be on the 4th line then.

Right now:

Crosby
Stamkos
Giroux

Are my top 3 going forward.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Richards will not be pushed out for anyone on Sochi. He is probably the best defensive center in the league and was huge for Team Canada last tournament.
Fair enough. I'd take Richards over Getzlaf. I'd prefer Bergeron in a defensive role, though.

I think Eberle makes the team, for being a good Team Canada soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
He'd probably be on the 4th line then.

Right now:

Crosby
Stamkos
Giroux

Are my top 3 going forward.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of those three is moved to Crosby's wing.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:20 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I do think Hamhuis' overall game is just more suited to the big ice surface. Not to mention that this past season wasn't Staal's best (admittedly coming off a concussion) and if that's the level he will play at going forward then I think he's far below Hamhuis.
It's what I was thinking as well. Depends how he rebounds from that concussion but I consider Hamhuis a better dman overall.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote