HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Abbotsford heat to be bought by aquilinis?

Old
08-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Crows*

vCash: 500
Abbotsford heat to be bought by aquilinis?

Interesting.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/bu...tml?id=7108799

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
This is a genius idea for so many reasons. Fingers crossed.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
This is a genius idea for so many reasons. Fingers crossed.
Completely agree. It would be an utter smashing success. Probably turn in to the best ahl franchise.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:47 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

I would immediately buy abbotsford season tickets if this was true

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Never did understand why the Flames decided to put their farm team there. This is for the best.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Wisp

Everyone knows Fire can't beat Aquaman

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

That Abbotsford franchise would instantly become viable if it were Canucks kid playing there as opposed to the Flames.

With Chicago apparently wavering on whether to extend their agreement with the Canucks after this coming season, this would make sense.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:07 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Never did understand why the Flames decided to put their farm team there. This is for the best.
I think they figured that the Flames had a bigger foothold in the Lower Mainland than they actually do

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Never really understood why Calgary decided Abbotsford would be a good home for the farm team. I guess the proximity makes sense as far call-ups go, but they could just as easily set a team up in Saskatoon or Regina and likely would have been far more successful as I imagine there are far more Flames' fans in Saskatchwen as well as a bigger desire for pro hockey.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:16 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Never really understood why Calgary decided Abbotsford would be a good home for the farm team. I guess the proximity makes sense as far call-ups go, but they could just as easily set a team up in Saskatoon or Regina and likely would have been far more successful as I imagine there are far more Flames' fans in Saskatchwen as well as a bigger desire for pro hockey.
The City of Abbotsford was offering incentives to any AHL franchise to come occupy the arena. The City covers all financial losses for the Heat.

Nevertheless, it's a fantastic plan that should provide stability to the Fraser Valley hockey market. Wonder if you'll see a WHL team out there in the future again too. Still surprised the WHL pulled out the Chilliwack Bruins considering just how fast the Fraser Valley was growing.

AHL in Abbotsford with a Canucks farm team would be an instant success.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
That Abbotsford franchise would instantly become viable if it were Canucks kid playing there as opposed to the Flames.

With Chicago apparently wavering on whether to extend their agreement with the Canucks after this coming season, this would make sense.
I didn't know Chicago was wavering.

Old
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Wisp

Quote:
I think there's a conflict of interest... They're interested in winning, not developing prospects.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
I think it was mentioned on Twitter at some point - might have been News1130 that stated it.

As stated above, the Wolves' group is interested in winning moreso than being a development team for the NHL.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:28 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Chicago always had to have been seen as purely temporary affiliation agreement with the Canucks.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
I think it was mentioned on Twitter at some point - might have been News1130 that stated it.

As stated above, the Wolves' group is interested in winning moreso than being a development team for the NHL.
They really ought to be in the ECHL, then. They're just going to have the same problems with every NHL team they affiliate with.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
That would be fantastic!

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:55 PM
KISSland

If it does go through. I now have a reason to visit some family down there . Good news.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Jevo

Having the farm team so close has some advantages. I just wish the nearest team wasn't in Oklahoma. If Canucks travel is bad, Heat travel has to be twice as bad.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I gather the Heat aren't doing that well? If so and Aquilini is buying low this is a pretty smart move - as soon as you get the Canucks farm team in there the place will be packed. Make some money there.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:11 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I think the added travel for the AHL folks would be off-set by the proximity to Vancouver. And of course, if the Heat were actually a Canucks affiliate instead of a Flames one they'd likely see a lot more attendance (I know I would try catching some games).

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:43 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I think there's a conflict of interest... They're interested in winning, not developing prospects.
Quote:

Incorrect and a common misconception. Perhaps that's what they did with an uncooperative and often neglectful Atlanta group, but not us.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Incorrect and a common misconception. Perhaps that's what they did with an uncooperative and often neglectful Atlanta group, but not us.
Yup, I dont think there any harm done by affiliating with them. The Vancouver management would probably just prefer to be as hands-on with their prospects as possible, closer monitoring can only be a good thing for them.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Having the farm team so close has some advantages. I just wish the nearest team wasn't in Oklahoma. If Canucks travel is bad, Heat travel has to be twice as bad.
well if those kids are going to flying in our planes someday, i guess they should get used to the long miles and constant time zone changes.

incidentally, might that be another reason for us to draft more WHL guys? they are used to much tougher travel than guys from the O and the Q.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The City of Abbotsford was offering incentives to any AHL franchise to come occupy the arena. The City covers all financial losses for the Heat.
Bingo.

No lose situation for the Flames. Unfortunately for the city of Abbotsford - it was simply silly to essentially "underwrite" all the losses (and you know there would be losses for an AHL affiliate of the rival of the local NHL team).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I think the added travel for the AHL folks would be off-set by the proximity to Vancouver. And of course, if the Heat were actually a Canucks affiliate instead of a Flames one they'd likely see a lot more attendance (I know I would try catching some games).
I'm not so sure about that. I think it would depend on whether they can have homestands at around the same time the Canucks do. That enables them to be close to have their call-ups. But, you spend 1/2 of the time on the road and all of the Abby's teams games are at least in the Central time zone or further. Business side of things, basically all home games are a 2 set contest right? Not going to fly in the Aeroes, Rampage, Stars, Admirals, etc. for a 1 game affair. Is that something Abby fans enjoy, because that's the way it's gotta be, just given their distance from all other AHL teams.

Then with the homestand front, do you really want the AHL team to have games on the same night as the NHL club. That's something Aquaman needs to make sure he researches too.

Overall, my opinion is that it's better to have the AHL team closer to their opponents. Rather see the kids get in extra practice or off-ice conditioning that dealing with more travel. Rather see Rodin work on getting stronger in the gym, Cannata taking extra shots, and anyone who needs work on their skating putting in the extra work.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote