HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Abbotsford heat to be bought by aquilinis?

Old
08-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Might as well get them used to the travel the Canucks face on a regular basis.
Heat's travel is worse than the Nucks.

Nucks at least have Edm, Cal, SJ, LA, Ana who are pretty easy travel destinations from Vancouver. Heat, closest is OKC, which is like going to Minny for Vancouver.

Rather see guys in their early 20's spending extra time working on their skill off ice. Young guys generally need to get stronger and fast. Better to do that in a gym than sitting on a plane or waiting at an airport.

I don't hear anything about the Cali teams wanting to bring their AHL teams out west.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Heat's travel is worse than the Nucks.

Nucks at least have Edm, Cal, SJ, LA, Ana who are pretty easy travel destinations from Vancouver. Heat, closest is OKC, which is like going to Minny for Vancouver.

Rather see guys in their early 20's spending extra time working on their skill off ice. Young guys generally need to get stronger and fast. Better to do that in a gym than sitting on a plane or waiting at an airport.

I don't hear anything about the Cali teams wanting to bring their AHL teams out west.
AHL teams bus...

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
jd22

Send a message via MSN to jd22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
AHL teams bus...
I think Abbotsford has to fly, regardless of where they are going. It doesn't make any sense other wise - they'd spend the entire year on the bus.

Anyway, I don't agree with this move. Would be good for Abbotsford and us, sure, but way too much time spent travelling for the prospects.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:08 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

i love when calgarians come here (and the best cities thread) to tell us we can't have whatever we are discussing. whether they are wrong or right they just love doing this sht. getting off on withholding, am i right?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:23 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Abbotsford Millionaires, please. Invert the V. Done. Instantly the best uniform in the AHL.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

This should've happened years ago... Chicago Wolves and Vancouver got along well, just the Chicago part was the problem, and no one goes to Heat games, mainly because of the fact that its Calgary's affiliate, also their gonna change the name of the team when the Canucks get the affiliate, because it got heat cause it relates to the word flames, but this could happen by the time lockout is announced, if not its going to be 2013-14 season.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Ashasx

According to this article (http://www.abbynews.com/topics/162899786.html), the Flames own the Heat.

This could be completely wrong, however. Is anyone here educated on this matter?

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Wayne Maki

The Flames own half the team.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:37 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
The Canucks should stay as far away from the heat as possible. There is no benefit to having your farm team five hours away from their nearest opponent. I dont think its a good idea to get involved with the shady Abbotsford businessmen that own the team either. The back room deal they struck with the city and Flames is dirty as hell.
There are some advantages:

1.) For players on the bubble, who may be called up for a stretch, not knowing if they'll be up there for the long-term, there's no need for them to be separated from their families or have to get second residences with the uncertainty if they'll have to cancel all arrangements at the last minute.

2.) With the Canucks investing heavily in top-end support for the NHL team, a farm team in the Lower Mainland would have ready access to those same resources (sports psychologists, nutritionists, skill coaches, etc). This would also allow for consistency with development again if players were moved up and down.

3.) NHL management would be able to have a better sense of how prospects are developing, and who would be most suitable to call up. Conversely, prospects/development staff would have a better ability to coordinate coaching styles and development plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
According to this article (http://www.abbynews.com/topics/162899786.html), the Flames own the Heat.

This could be completely wrong, however. Is anyone here educated on this matter?
I've found several pieces that reference this ownership group (actual description of owners is towards the bottom, though I'm no expert):

http://www.abbotsfordtoday.ca/?p=80480#more-80480

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Abbotsford Millionaires, please. Invert the V. Done. Instantly the best uniform in the AHL.
this would be so perfect

so it wont happen

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:03 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
I'm down. We already own the rights.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Katani Kalan

Quote:
I'd be buying that jersey for sure. Oh please happen so I have something close to home to attend.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:47 AM
KISSland

Quote:

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:51 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

I miss the days when Pfizer could knock up a quick photoshop of that jersey in an hour.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
trbr86

I think that the writing was on the wall for the Wolves AHL franchise ever since their owner Don Levin came out and said that he wants to own the to-be NHL franchise in Seattle.

I fully anticipate if Seattle's NHL team comes to fruition and Levin is the backer, that he would transfer his entire operations and management from the AHL to the NHL (much like how the Moose organization became the Jets).

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
I think that the writing was on the wall for the Wolves AHL franchise ever since their owner Don Levin came out and said that he wants to own the to-be NHL franchise in Seattle.

I fully anticipate if Seattle's NHL team comes to fruition and Levin is the backer, that he would transfer his entire operations and management from the AHL to the NHL (much like how the Moose organization became the Jets).
Umm it's not the same situation as the Jets. Let's say you're a marketing manager living in Chicago. You're in your 50's and have a family. All of a sudden you're going to pack up and move to Seattle?

It's one thing to use the same staff you used for your AHL team, with your NHL team that's been moved to the same city. It's another to buy an NHL team and put it in another city.

08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
AHL teams bus...
Pretty sure I read an interview with Shirokov earlier in the Summer & he said something about the Moose using a plane.

Quote:

?

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 08-20-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:51 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I think there's a conflict of interest... They're interested in winning, not developing prospects.
Sounds like a perfect fit for the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
They really ought to be in the ECHL, then. They're just going to have the same problems with every NHL team they affiliate with.
Well, as I'm sure you know Wolves owner Don Levin has been courting the Seattle marketplace as a potential NHL destination, so it sounds like he might agree (although obviously that would see him moving up instead of down).

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Pretty sure I read an interview with Shirokov earlier in the Summer & he said something about the Moose using a plane.

?
Depending on the schedule and distance, there are cities you can bus to, but there are going to be trips that you can only make via plane. Rampage, Aeroes, Stars area all located in the state of Texas, so if you are playing all 3 teams, pretty much going to take a bus/train (if available).

If you are in OKC, who is the closet opponent?

Overall, I don't see the benefit in being the most isolated AHL team. Closest team to the Heat are the OKC Oilers.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Wisp

Moose had a charter and flew everywhere.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Linters*

Quote:
Unfortunatly Abbotsford has an even number of letters in it so it doesn't work putting the name of the city into the A like the Millionaires did with the V but this is my hastily done rendition.

Linters* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I love it!!!!!

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Ahhhh, typical denial from the Heat -

The Canucks farm team will be in Abbotsford come the 2013 - 2014 season.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:05 PM
silvercanuck

I can't see any logic to the Canucks calling them the Millionaires and dressing them in Maroon jerseys. It's almost as counterproductive as the Abbotsford Heat name and their red Flames' uniforms.

The Canucks marketing staff is not going to promote a 100 year old defunct team that wears maroon. If they put a team in Abbotsford they will want to extend their brand there. They should wear blue and green. My idea would be a Johnny Canuck theme. Actually, I think the Wolves should wear blue and green when they hit Abbotsford. That would be cool.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:20 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I can't see any logic to the Canucks calling them the Millionaires and dressing them in Maroon jerseys. It's almost as counterproductive as the Abbotsford Heat name and their red Flames' uniforms.

The Canucks marketing staff is not going to promote a 100 year old defunct team that wears maroon. If they put a team in Abbotsford they will want to extend their brand there. They should wear blue and green. My idea would be a Johnny Canuck theme. Actually, I think the Wolves should wear blue and green when they hit Abbotsford. That would be cool.
As much as I like the Millionaires jersey, I agree.

The team in Abbotsford should be called the Vancouver Something. They should wear Vancouver colours. (if/when they are bought)

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote