HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Abbotsford heat to be bought by aquilinis?

Old
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I can't see any logic to the Canucks calling them the Millionaires and dressing them in Maroon jerseys. It's almost as counterproductive as the Abbotsford Heat name and their red Flames' uniforms.

The Canucks marketing staff is not going to promote a 100 year old defunct team that wears maroon. If they put a team in Abbotsford they will want to extend their brand there. They should wear blue and green. My idea would be a Johnny Canuck theme. Actually, I think the Wolves should wear blue and green when they hit Abbotsford. That would be cool.
I agree with all of this. We'd follow suit with what Toronto has done with the Marlies/Leafs.
Regarding the Toronto Marlies, I'm pretty shocked to read that their attendance is only at 5500 a game, which puts them middle of the pack for attendance league wide. With the issue of cost/availability of Leafs tickets, I'd think that the Marlie games would be a big draw. The Marlies Arena is only 7 minutes away from the ACC, so arena location is no excuse.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Abbotsford Millionaires, please. Invert the V. Done. Instantly the best uniform in the AHL.
wow, thats actually a killer idea!

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
As much as I like the Millionaires jersey, I agree.

The team in Abbotsford should be called the Vancouver Something. They should wear Vancouver colours. (if/when they are bought)
I'd probably call them the BC 'Somethings' so as to not upset the city of Abbotsford, and to draw more support from the surrounding burbs.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
I'd probably call them the BC 'Somethings' so as to not upset the city of Abbotsford, and to draw more support from the surrounding burbs.
The BC Belugas.
The NHL and AHL teams will have a whale on their jerseys.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
The BC Belugas.
We'd have to reacquire Wellwood then.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
The BC Belugas.
If you are gonna name it after a whale, at least choose a cool one, like a Narwhal. BC Narwhals.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:42 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Well Gilman(on 1040) just stated that the farm team is staying in Chicago for the next season at the very least.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:05 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Well Gilman(on 1040) just stated that the farm team is staying in Chicago for the next season at the very least.
That's obvious - the schedule has been set, training camps are set to open soon.

I highly bet this year is the last year of the Heat in Abbotsford.

Where there's smoke, there's fire...

I could see the team being called the "Fraser Valley Somethings" Not limited to just Abbotsford, and a Vancouver-named farm team playing in Abbotsford wouldn't go over very well in that town. And the Fraser Valley encompasses cities like Langley, Mission, Abbotsford, and Chilliwack.

for example, down the highway into Chilliwack, here's how things went with their WHL team last year (that moved to Victoria). Denial, denial, denial, and boom, they're gone.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2011/04/...hronology.html

Obviously different scenario - but still - smoke and mirrors...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
silvercanuck

Fraser Valley Foresters - Johnny Canuck logo

An orca would be redundant. The Canucks already have 2 sweaters with that logo and no one would be compelled to buy a slightly different AHL version.

A Johnny Canuck logo jersey however, would differentiate the farm team a little yet still be recognizable as part of the Canuck's brand. This would be a great opportunity for the team to market and sell what are essentially 4th and 5th jerseys for the parent team.

Toronto sort of does this with the Marlboroughs. The problem is no one really has a lot of affection for the old Marlboroughs. The Canucks WHL sweaters on the other hand would sell like hotcakes if done right.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Fraser Valley Foresters - Johnny Canuck logo

An orca would be redundant. The Canucks already have 2 sweaters with that logo and no one would be compelled to buy a slightly different AHL version.

A Johnny Canuck logo jersey however, would differentiate the farm team a little yet still be recognizable as part of the Canuck's brand. This would be a great opportunity for the team to market and sell what are essentially 4th and 5th jerseys for the parent team.

Toronto sort of does this with the Marlboroughs. The problem is no one really has a lot of affection for the old Marlboroughs. The Canucks WHL sweaters on the other hand would sell like hotcakes if done right.
I actually really like this idea, the Fraser Valley Foresters really rolls off the tongue, plays homage to BC's lumber history/industry, and will finally quell the people bickering about replacing the Whale with Johnny Canuck.

That said, I'm also alright if it becomes the Abbotsford Millionaires. Love those maroon jerseys. This is probably the most likely outcome since CSE spent millions in acquiring the rights for the Millionaires logo/design rights.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:47 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
BC Bacon Bros!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Voracity

With Conair/Cascade based in Abbotsford and operating/supplying airtankers to BC, Alberta, Alaska, Yukon, France, and now the US. (Maybe hit them up for a sponsorship deal.)

Fraser Valley Firebombers

Complete opposite of the Abbotsford Heat to symbolically snuff out the last vestiges of the Calgary Flames in the Lower Mainland.

Voracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Katani Kalan

Question here do the Vancouver Giants not own the rights to the Johnny Canuck logo?

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
If you are gonna name it after a whale, at least choose a cool one, like a Narwhal. BC Narwhals.
That sounds like the BC Nardwuars...which is also ok!

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:16 AM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairgmvancouver View Post
Question here do the Vancouver Giants not own the rights to the Johnny Canuck logo?
it's on the canucks uniform and merchandise, so no the canucks own it. the johnny canuck logo for the the ahl team is the best idea i've heard.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairgmvancouver View Post
Why would they own the rights to Johnny Canuck?

Do you see skates on the Giants' logo? It's a lumberjack, not Johnny Canuck.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
tko78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracity View Post
With Conair/Cascade based in Abbotsford and operating/supplying airtankers to BC, Alberta, Alaska, Yukon, France, and now the US. (Maybe hit them up for a sponsorship deal.)

Fraser Valley Firebombers

Complete opposite of the Abbotsford Heat to symbolically snuff out the last vestiges of the Calgary Flames in the Lower Mainland.
Except that Barry Marsden, chairman of the board for Conair and Cascade, is part of the Heat ownership group.

The structure of the Heat ownership is a little murky. I've read reports that the Flames are the owners, although they can only be part owners as I know for a fact that Barry Marsden and Lane Sweeting (of Conair/Cascade and Forsite Developments, respectively) are part owners. I've also read reports that Sweeting is the chairman of Abbotsford Heat Hockey Ltd.

Anyway, back to the point of my little blurb here: If Aquaman was to somehow land a AHL team in Abbotsford, I doubt anybody would think it's a good idea to relate the team to part of the current Heat ownership group. It just doesn't strike me as good form.

tko78 is offline   Reply With Quote