HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marlies sign Paul Ranger!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2012, 09:53 PM
  #26
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Yes..............but it's all the players we have no use for. Where the number 1 goalie and center?
If only Zach Parise had been born in Toronto and a Leafs fan growing up.

Not like there's Toronto area boys that have the patriotism of Parise huh?

On a serious note, I hope it's true. If Paul can get back to form, he'll be a huge help to the Marlies and maybe the Leafs.

Who actually owns his right?? Is he a UFA?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:54 PM
  #27
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Didn't work out very well last time the Leafs had a player with a story like that.
Well it's with the Marlies and if it doesn't work out, he can be replaced fairly easily but lets not get ahead of ourselves, he may in fact become a nice piece of the puzzle, for another run at the cup and has maybe put his problems behind him.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:55 PM
  #28
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
How credible is Dan Shrader? This is really interesting if true

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:03 PM
  #29
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
If only Zach Parise had been born in Toronto and a Leafs fan growing up.

Not like there's Toronto area boys that have the patriotism of Parise huh?

On a serious note, I hope it's true. If Paul can get back to form, he'll be a huge help to the Marlies and maybe the Leafs.

Who actually owns his right?? Is he a UFA?
Yes. Unrestricted Free Agent (Group III).

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:10 PM
  #30
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
If only Zach Parise had been born in Toronto and a Leafs fan growing up.
His dad played one game for the Leafs but the price still would have been stupid.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:14 PM
  #31
leugangen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
This could end up being a really good signing for us. Ranger was putting up good points and looked promising, and then disappeared to go to school (as far as I know).

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:34 PM
  #32
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,717
vCash: 500
The issue with this tweet is that IF Ranger and Burke had a deal completed, it wouldn't be announced later in the month.

If Paul Ranger were to come to a verbal agreement on a PTO then it may very well be announced later in the month, as its not exactly an overwhelming announcement.

But in a stretch of a slow off-season for Burke, he would certainly want the team to announce this signing at their own accord, and not later in the month once word has already gotten out.

If there is any legs to this, I cannot see Ranger already agreeing to have signed a contract, but simply a PTO.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:50 PM
  #33
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Question

So we're talking about the Paul Ranger signing on the Tampa board and talking about his personal issues that he had, so I brought up that I heard the lifestyle might've not been for him like an ex Leaf from the early 2000's who quit because he was scared to fly. I forget his name, and I figured this was the best place to go to find out, does anyone know, or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Thanks in advance, good luck with Ranger if it's true and if he earns an NHL contract, was a big fan of his.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
  #34
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,434
vCash: 500
O'Neill?

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
  #35
Leafidelity
40/30 Wrangler grit
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,515
vCash: 1775
Think you're talking about Chad Kilger, who became a firefighter in BC.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:59 PM
  #36
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Think you're talking about Chad Kilger, who became a firefighter in BC.
Jeff O'Neill.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:20 PM
  #37
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Durkin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Confirmed with link: Line Combos: Speculation


Ranger Dion
Gunn Holzer
Gardiner Franson

Liles
Komi
ridiculous.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:21 PM
  #38
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Durkin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Think you're talking about Chad Kilger, who became a firefighter in BC.
firefighter in Cambridge Ontario, actually.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:44 PM
  #39
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
firefighter in Cambridge Ontario, actually.
Cornwall I think, that's where he was from and his dad was the mayor at the time.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:58 PM
  #40
Swervin81
You da real MVP
 
Swervin81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Think you're talking about Chad Kilger, who became a firefighter in BC.
Actually, it's probably Jeff O'Neill, as far as I remember. Also, his brother died sometime in 2005 as well, so that really did his playing days in.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:08 AM
  #41
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Actually, it's probably Jeff O'Neill, as far as I remember. Also, his brother died sometime in 2005 as well, so that really did his playing days in.
Kilger is a firefighter..

O'Neill is a good guy, signed me a jersey for my birthday (i think my 9th or 10th bday) his parents lived right beside my uncle

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:19 AM
  #42
Tyke
Interested observer
 
Tyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Nations
Country: United Nations
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Always liked Paul Ranger. Cool name.

Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:02 AM
  #43
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 500
Could make sense being as hes from Oshawa.

How good was he, is he actually NHL capable and what kind of d-man is he? Why the heck did he leave for the past two years when he was playing in the NHL!

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:31 AM
  #44
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Could make sense being as hes from Oshawa.

How good was he, is he actually NHL capable and what kind of d-man is he? Why the heck did he leave for the past two years when he was playing in the NHL!
He was developing into an excellent defenseman. In fact, he was expected to replace Dan Boyle, which was part of the reason for Boyle being moved.

Don't think anybody knows why he left, but I saw him coaching a minor hockey team last year.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:41 AM
  #45
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
O'Neill?
Carolina fan confirming Jeff O'Neill. He hated flying and was terrified of it. I am pretty sure the only way he dealt with it was by getting hammered. When his brother died in a single car accident (alcohol related), he wanted to move to TO to be closer to his family and the Hurricanes management allowed it. Not sure if he threatened to retire or anything since the return was minimal (4th round pick). The rumor at the time was that he only wanted to play for an EC team because the traveling was far too extensive in the West.

You guys know how that ended in TO, but he came back prior to the 2008-2009 season on a try out for Carolina and didn't make the club despite a decent enough showing in camp. He was out of shape and not dedicated to hockey. Jeff could have been elite if he cared about training at all.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:22 AM
  #46
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Carolina fan confirming Jeff O'Neill. He hated flying and was terrified of it. I am pretty sure the only way he dealt with it was by getting hammered. When his brother died in a single car accident (alcohol related), he wanted to move to TO to be closer to his family and the Hurricanes management allowed it. Not sure if he threatened to retire or anything since the return was minimal (4th round pick). The rumor at the time was that he only wanted to play for an EC team because the traveling was far too extensive in the West.

You guys know how that ended in TO, but he came back prior to the 2008-2009 season on a try out for Carolina and didn't make the club despite a decent enough showing in camp. He was out of shape and not dedicated to hockey. Jeff could have been elite if he cared about training at all.
An elite? No way. You could say that about almost any NHLer no?

All Jeff O had to do was eat right and do more squat thrusts? Come on!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:32 AM
  #47
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
The issue with this tweet is that IF Ranger and Burke had a deal completed, it wouldn't be announced later in the month.

If Paul Ranger were to come to a verbal agreement on a PTO then it may very well be announced later in the month, as its not exactly an overwhelming announcement.

But in a stretch of a slow off-season for Burke, he would certainly want the team to announce this signing at their own accord, and not later in the month once word has already gotten out.

If there is any legs to this, I cannot see Ranger already agreeing to have signed a contract, but simply a PTO.
I think this may be the case, as he has been out of the league and not playing professional hockey for a number of years, it makes more sense to be a PTO.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:39 AM
  #48
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
I find it really odd that his leaving the game is STILL such a mystery. You would think someone, somewhere would have some clue why he left so abruptly.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:46 AM
  #49
Predaleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I find it really odd that his leaving the game is STILL such a mystery. You would think someone, somewhere would have some clue why he left so abruptly.
Yea, i think he left to go to school and thats the reason, but others come up with crazy reasons, like drug addiction that it becomes believable

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:58 AM
  #50
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
An elite? No way. You could say that about almost any NHLer no?

All Jeff O had to do was eat right and do more squat thrusts? Come on!
It's easier to believe with O'neill, considering he scored 40 goals and had over 60 points a few season. Not hard to believe that he could have been much better if he cared about conditioning.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.