HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick one guys who you think will EXCEED expectations this year and why...

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 05:44 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Pick one guys who you think will EXCEED expectations this year and why...

My pick for the year is #37 Jan Hlavac!!!

I really was thrilled he was reupped and think he will have a very solid yr on what very well be our best line this year.

I think this guy is so pumped about coming back to NY and to Nedved's LW that he is in the right frame of mind to shake off the disappointment and confidence problems he developed after getting traded from NY which he was totally devastated about.

What I expect out of Jan is to be a cog on this line that fits in perfectly.He has an undeniable chemirty already established with Nedved and Kovalev plays a similar style of game and I see him meshing with the other 2 immediately as well.

All 3 guys can bury the puck and both Nedved and AK are very good playmakers as well.Jan will benifit from the room that the other 2's skating and creativity create and Jan has enough of a goal scorer's instinct to get into the open ice to bury some prime scoring chances.

He won't recieve any PK time and will be on either the 1st or second PP group, whichever Petr is on with either Mess or Holik being the other forward with Kovalev taking over pointman duties.

This team is much deeper then the one he was able to put up 28 goals and 67 pts on so I think even though he'll play as well as that yr his #'s will be lower due to less icetime but I really think he'll net 25 goals on that line and with the other 2 burying pucks as well he should net 25-30 assists as well.

Here's to a big season out of Janni!!!

Old
09-19-2003, 05:59 AM
True Blue

I actually have 2

i think that Holik will become the bad guy that we loved to hate when he was with the Debs. I think that he will be looking for payback and will be driven to get back to the postseason. I think that his drive will power the RAngers. The only way that this does not happen is if Jackass begins to meddle again. Ramming Messier into the top 2 lines and making Holiks what he is not (an offensive first line center) is a recipe for disaster.
The second (since you wanted a guy that will exceed expectations) I will once again go w/ mah' man Dale. The guy has improved every year and has gotten better with every level of competition. IF given the chance, I think that he will continue to improve, as he has done every year. Again, this is providing that Jackass does not mandate that his defensemen run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Melrose_Jr.

It's going to be Lundmark. Most of the projections I've seen for the kid are ~15 goals, ~40 points. He's capable of much more and if Renney's committed to keeping him with Holik, I think he'll be able to contribute the way he did in the 2002 preseason.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:15 AM
barnaby63

i have 2 as well.....

tom poti. with a better supporting cast around he and leetch and playing in a system with renney i expect tom to net around 55-60 points while playing decent on defense.

and the other is jamie lundmark. if played with holik for the entire season i can see him getting 20 goals and 50 points.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Servo

I'm going to say Mike Dunham has an exceptional year (not necessarily stat-wise on THIS team, but Ranger-wise). I hope I'm right, because if he doesn't stand on his head its probably going to be a long, long season.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:12 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
My heart says Lundmark but my head says Holik. I think he's going to come back in one nasty mood.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Fletch

Exceed expecations?

I think expectations need to be defined. There's high expectations for everybody on this team.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
hmmmmm

i'd say ERIC LINDROS. many of you feel he's not going to do much this season but i'd disagree. i think last season was a combination of problems for him...he didnt like the stick he used, the new rule changes really went against his style of play, then the fans got on him too soon, it was just a downward spiral and i think he's out of it now. WATCH OUT, i say 40 goals and 45 assists on a magical line with rucinsky and carter!

Old
09-19-2003, 07:47 AM
oldtimer

I agree with JR#9. Janni should never have been let go. He's back where he belong, in the prime of his career, and will take up where he left off. I predict 25+ goals, 60+ points if he plays all year with Ned & AK.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Barnaby

E-train

Old
09-19-2003, 08:11 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
i'd say ERIC LINDROS. many of you feel he's not going to do much this season but i'd disagree. i think last season was a combination of problems for him...he didnt like the stick he used, the new rule changes really went against his style of play, then the fans got on him too soon, it was just a downward spiral and i think he's out of it now. WATCH OUT, i say 40 goals and 45 assists on a magical line with rucinsky and carter!
step away from the computer and take a deep breathe.

if he didnt like the stick he shouldve changed it. the fans got on him too soon? around the all-star break was when he really started hearing boos. 40 goals? can i get some of what your smokin?

how many ranger games did you watch last season fishstick?

Old
09-19-2003, 08:15 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
step away from the computer and take a deep breathe.

if he didnt like the stick he shouldve changed it. the fans got on him too soon? around the all-star break was when he really started hearing boos. 40 goals? can i get some of what your smokin?

how many ranger games did you watch last season fishstick?
Another guy who will change his tune once the season starts.Lindros is going to have a bigtime bounceback and have alot of people eating their words.You watch and see.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
JR#9, for the Rangers and the Fan's sake I HOPE you are right.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:51 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Another guy who will change his tune once the season starts.Lindros is going to have a bigtime bounceback and have alot of people eating their words.You watch and see.
you got me wrong, i have repeatedly said lindros will have a bounce back season, but i am not expecting 40 goals. i say 30-35. but i believe he will come back with a vengence.

Old
09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
My pick for the year is #37 Jan Hlavac!!!

I really was thrilled he was reupped and think he will have a very solid yr on what very well be our best line this year.

I think this guy is so pumped about coming back to NY and to Nedved's LW that he is in the right frame of mind to shake off the disappointment and confidence problems he developed after getting traded from NY which he was totally devastated about.

What I expect out of Jan is to be a cog on this line that fits in perfectly.He has an undeniable chemirty already established with Nedved and Kovalev plays a similar style of game and I see him meshing with the other 2 immediately as well.

All 3 guys can bury the puck and both Nedved and AK are very good playmakers as well.Jan will benifit from the room that the other 2's skating and creativity create and Jan has enough of a goal scorer's instinct to get into the open ice to bury some prime scoring chances.

He won't recieve any PK time and will be on either the 1st or second PP group, whichever Petr is on with either Mess or Holik being the other forward with Kovalev taking over pointman duties.

This team is much deeper then the one he was able to put up 28 goals and 67 pts on so I think even though he'll play as well as that yr his #'s will be lower due to less icetime but I really think he'll net 25 goals on that line and with the other 2 burying pucks as well he should net 25-30 assists as well.

Here's to a big season out of Janni!!!
I also have to go with Hlavac. His chemistry with his good friend Peter will be the spark he needs. And it sure will not hurt to have Kovie on the right.

Old
09-19-2003, 02:39 PM
LondonFan

Ironic isn't it, Hlavac may well come back and be a fan favourite. I really hope that line of Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev clicks. We know it will be a streaky line, but when they're hot, they'll be mega hot.

So I'm also hoping for a great season from Hlavac. I remember him play a great game against the Kings, he has good speed and hands.

My expectations for Lundmark are for him to become a regular in the team, so anything above that will be great.

Old
09-19-2003, 04:34 PM
JCProdigy

Ditto on Hlavac:

I can't state enough how bummed he was that he got shipped out of NY. I don't think it's the sole reason for his woes but I do think he was effected. He's back where he want's to be on a line with one of his best friends. I still remember last season when the rangers radio broadcast interviewed him before the NYR VS CAR new year's eve game last year. You could hear it in his voice how much he missed it here. He said he was a new york kind of guy and would come back in a second. He also said he talked to Nedved and Dvorak on the phone daily.

I think on a line with Nedved who's good for his usual 25 goals and Kovalev that he can contribute offensively from the left side. Should be interesting/entertaining to see that line in action. Also garaunteed that he'll make you jump out of your seat more then once with a move he pulls off.

Also think Lindros will bounce back IF he's able to stay healthy....which is the biggest if in the world.

Old
09-19-2003, 11:20 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

my guess is Petr Nedved who will rack up assists dishing to Kovy. I think he can put 80 points 30 goals, 50 assists, assuming he gets plenty of PP time.
That is the rosey picture.

Old
09-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
Speaking of which, I'm going to predict a solid year for Rucinsky. I don't think anybody is expecting 30 goals or anything, but a 15-20 goal, 50 point season out of Rucinsky would be exceeding my expectations.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:10 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
my guess is Petr Nedved who will rack up assists dishing to Kovy. I think he can put 80 points 30 goals, 50 assists, assuming he gets plenty of PP time.
I agree, possibly even more assists and points.

This of course assumes that Sather doesn't split them up if they struggle for a couple of games or shorten the lines when we're losing:

Simon Holik Lindros
Rucinsky Messier Kovalev
Barnaby Nedved Carter

Old
09-20-2003, 06:18 AM
LeServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer
I agree with JR#9. Janni should never have been let go. He's back where he belong, in the prime of his career, and will take up where he left off. I predict 25+ goals, 60+ points if he plays all year with Ned & AK.
I'm with you guys. There was such great chemistry between Hlavac and Nedved. I think the guy is tremendously skilled, and while he's not exactly grinding and gritty, he doesn't shrink from going where he needs to be to score. I liked the guy a lot when he was here. I'll never forget his flying leap at Kaspar when Darius cheapshotted Dvorak.

Old
09-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Ed Giacomin

Hlavac is one of the few guys who played better as a Ranger than an ex-Ranger. Most ex-Rangers always seem to better before and after their stop in NY. (Lucky Luc R., Kovalev, etc.)

I can't even think of another player who was better as a Ranger than an ex-Ranger.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:22 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Giacomin
Hlavac is one of the few guys who played better as a Ranger than an ex-Ranger. Most ex-Rangers always seem to better before and after their stop in NY. (Lucky Luc R., Kovalev, etc.)

I can't even think of another player who was better as a Ranger than an ex-Ranger.
Dunham

Zubov is the only one that comes to mind

Old
09-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Dunham

Zubov is the only one that comes to mind
Not so sure, I think that the Zubov that plays for the Stars is a much better overall D-Man than the Zubov that played for the Rangers.

Old
09-21-2003, 06:18 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
2003-04 New York Rangers NHL 77 28 46 74

That's what he got in EHM playing with Nedved and Kovy ^_^.

Closed Thread