HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston - Dallas

Old
08-19-2012, 03:22 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Boston - Dallas

So I know it got beaten to death last year, Morrow for Spooner. But thinking about it, I figured with our new found center depth in our prospect pool, Spooner wouldn't really be necessary to get Morrow.

So, let's say it's the trade deadline. Boston is looking for an extra push, and Dallas is looking to stay competitive this year while building for the future.

Receive:

Brenden Morrow

Receive:

Jordan Caron
Tim Thomas (if he still isn't playing and Boston is up against the ceiling)

Boston gets the best player but as a rental. Morrow would have to prove he's still a top 6 winger, but can't beat out Ryder (if he does, maybe Ryder could go back to Boston). They set themselves up for another solid cup run without giving up too much of their future.

Caron is a better fit for the 3rd line and can grow with Eakin - Vincour in the future. We don't really have a place for Morrow, as his skill set isn't that of a bottom sixer and there's no room in the top 6 for him. We can afford Thomas if needed, as well.

This won't happen in the offseason, too many ?s and GMJN has stated he's done for the time being. But just wanted to see if the value was fair, assuming Morrow does regain some form of his old self.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
I really don't understand why the Stars would want Thomas. Lehtonen is as good as you can ask a starter to be, and Bachman is a very capable backup. Caron and a 2nd sounds better.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:45 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I really don't understand why the Stars would want Thomas. Lehtonen is as good as you can ask a starter to be, and Bachman is a very capable backup. Caron and a 2nd sounds better.
His proposal is based around Tim Thomas not playing.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Obviously we're more interested in his cap hit than whatever he'd provide in net (not much, apparently).

Lehtonen is our starting goalie, and Bachman's the backup. Thomas would just be there in the accountant's ledger, that's all.

08-19-2012, 05:43 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
I'd easily do it.

I'm interested to see what Stars fans think about it.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:51 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

I always wonder why Morrow is always offered up in trades. I can't see Dallas making this trade as Morrow is the teams captain, and in a year where I'm sure their looking for a playoff birth trading the captain for just Jordan Caron seems like something they should hold off on.

But if the Bruins were serious about adding Morrow they should add to the trade to make it more favourable for the Stars. Morrow would be a great fit for the Bruins and I do like the idea of acquiring Morrow if I'm the Bruins.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:56 AM
nycbruins*

Morrow of 2010-2011? Underpayment. Morrow of last season? Overpayment. Caron is better than last year's morrow. But if he is anything resembling healthy, morrow would be a great addition to the bruins

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:32 AM
TrillMike

Not interested in this only because I think Morrow can get us a better main piece. I also think that if Thomas is involved, it will take more from Bos's side (I'm fully aware of the cap stuff, please don't try to fill me in), $5 million is a lot to pay a guy (theoretically). If the cap is around $70 M, the Stars will be sitting somewhere between $10-$11 M under the cap after they extend Benn.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So I know it got beaten to death last year, Morrow for Spooner. But thinking about it, I figured with our new found center depth in our prospect pool, Spooner wouldn't really be necessary to get Morrow.

So, let's say it's the trade deadline. Boston is looking for an extra push, and Dallas is looking to stay competitive this year while building for the future.

Receive:

Brenden Morrow

Receive:

Jordan Caron
Tim Thomas (if he still isn't playing and Boston is up against the ceiling)

Boston gets the best player but as a rental. Morrow would have to prove he's still a top 6 winger, but can't beat out Ryder (if he does, maybe Ryder could go back to Boston). They set themselves up for another solid cup run without giving up too much of their future.

Caron is a better fit for the 3rd line and can grow with Eakin - Vincour in the future. We don't really have a place for Morrow, as his skill set isn't that of a bottom sixer and there's no room in the top 6 for him. We can afford Thomas if needed, as well.

This won't happen in the offseason, too many ?s and GMJN has stated he's done for the time being. But just wanted to see if the value was fair, assuming Morrow does regain some form of his old self.
Give your head a shake...Morrow is better then this offer and you no that and Dallas DEFINETLY Does not need Thomas.This Trade is More Realistic from Dallas's view:

To Boston:
Morrow

To Dallas:
Adam MaQuaid
Seth Griffith
1st Rd. 2013

If Morrow Was traded, Teams would have to overpay a bit, there not just gunna throw him away for nothing.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
I always wonder why Morrow is always offered up in trades. I can't see Dallas making this trade as Morrow is the teams captain, and in a year where I'm sure their looking for a playoff birth trading the captain for just Jordan Caron seems like something they should hold off on.

But if the Bruins were serious about adding Morrow they should add to the trade to make it more favourable for the Stars. Morrow would be a great fit for the Bruins and I do like the idea of acquiring Morrow if I'm the Bruins.
Bet you never thought Modano would either, but you have to make changes and Morrow's getting older....i think it's time for the stars to regroup and get younger.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Give your head a shake...Morrow is better then this offer and you no that and Dallas DEFINETLY Does not need Thomas.This Trade is More Realistic from Dallas's view:

To Boston:
Morrow

To Dallas:
Adam MaQuaid
Seth Griffith
1st Rd. 2013

If Morrow Was traded, Teams would have to overpay a bit, there not just gunna throw him away for nothing.

Loui Eriksson

5th round pick 2013

That is how I feel about this offer.

OP deal is done from Boston. Caron is a great player, and he fits in very well here and has a future, but he's not exactly a player that comes once a generation.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:41 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:

To Boston:
Morrow

To Dallas:
Adam MaQuaid
Seth Griffith
1st Rd. 2013

And then you woke up ...

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:11 PM
BergyWho37

Probably a close offer OP but Thomas could get trade elsewhere if this doesn't work for Dallas and add a pick at most with Caron to get a rent a player like Morrow

BergyWho37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

To Boston:
Morrow

To Dallas:
Adam MaQuaid
Seth Griffith
1st Rd. 2013

Maybe a re-signed, 30-40-70 Morrow. But even then, probably not.

Some D help would've been nice going into the playoffs, but Ference is the only rental player and he seems too valuable to you guys to trade at the deadline.

Maybe add a 5th or something if we do take on Thomas as well, iono.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Maybe a re-signed, 30-40-70 Morrow. But even then, probably not.

Some D help would've been nice going into the playoffs, but Ference is the only rental player and he seems too valuable to you guys to trade at the deadline.

Maybe add a 5th or something if we do take on Thomas as well, iono.
Caron and a 5th for Morrow(with Thomas going) is a deal I'd probably do. Not sure every Boston fan would jump on it but I'd probably be willing to take the risk.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Dallas passes.

I think we can get a bit more for Morrow, and if Dallas is adding Thomas' 5 mil. cap hit, we better get something back. After Jamie Benn is resigned, we'll be well above the cap floor. Unlike some teams, we don't necessarily need help reaching the cap floor.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Dallas passes.

I think we can get a bit more for Morrow, and if Dallas is adding Thomas' 5 mil. cap hit, we better get something back. After Jamie Benn is resigned, we'll be well above the cap floor. Unlike some teams, we don't necessarily need help reaching the cap floor.
His cap hit means nothing. Dallas wouldn't be paying one red cent of his contract. It's a necessity to fit the cap hit of Morrow.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Scouting report on Caron?

Ampersand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
Scouting report on Caron?
He's very young and is finally starting to reach his potential. He has nothing left to learn in the AHL, and he's perfect for a 3rd line checker role. I believe that he has top-6 potential. Give him 82 games and some competent linemates and he can easily get at least 30 points on a third line. He got 15 in 48 games with extremely limited ice time in Boston.

He's a big guy, but he's not too physical. You won't see him throwing body checks or dropping the gloves, but he's not afraid to use his body to attack and protect the puck. When the Bruins were barely a .500 team during the home stretch of the season, he was one of their best players. He can also kill penalties very well. His defensive awareness is fantastic for his age.

He also has a pretty heavy shot.. He can surprise a goalie and even the fans.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
nmbr_24

I can see the value of acquiring Morrow but I can't help but feel that by the time the trade deadline rolled around it might be obvious to everyone that at this time in Morrow's career, Caron is a better player.

It might not turn out that way and Morrow may still be a 20-25+ goal scorer and we all know his leadership isn't going anywhere, so let's just say I am glad that we are waiting for the trade deadline to consider this. If Morrow is the same player as he was 2 years ago then of course I would do this deal.

My guess is that Caron scores around 20 goals himself this year. I think I like him more than most Bruins fans, but I see something in Caron and I think he will be better defensively and a slightly less offensively talented version of Nathan Horton in another year or 2 at the very most.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I can see the value of acquiring Morrow but I can't help but feel that by the time the trade deadline rolled around it might be obvious to everyone that at this time in Morrow's career, Caron is a better player.

It might not turn out that way and Morrow may still be a 20-25+ goal scorer and we all know his leadership isn't going anywhere, so let's just say I am glad that we are waiting for the trade deadline to consider this. If Morrow is the same player as he was 2 years ago then of course I would do this deal.

My guess is that Caron scores around 20 goals himself this year. I think I like him more than most Bruins fans, but I see something in Caron and I think he will be better defensively and a slightly less offensively talented version of Nathan Horton in another year or 2 at the very most.
I'd cry if Caron scores 20.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

To Boston:
Morrow

To Dallas:
Adam MaQuaid
Seth Griffith
1st Rd. 2013

Latvian is a Dallas fan, not a Bruins fan that wants to underpay for Morrow. Asking for this package is bananas, nobody values Morrow that highly.

To break it down, many believe that Morrow's value is very low and Dallas taking Thomas' negative value allows them to ask for a player with potentially more value. The cap hit doesn't matter because of Dallas' cap room.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:17 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I do LTs trade.

Anything to get rid of morrow and get a piece of value in return in the form of caron is fine by me.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:59 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

To Boston:
Morrow

To Dallas:
Adam MaQuaid
Seth Griffith
1st Rd. 2013

What the hell? No....

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote